IMDb > A Leap of Faith (1996) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

A Leap of Faith More at IMDbPro »

My review of 'A leap of faith'... Contains spoilers.

Author: thomas-james-yardley from United Kingdom
26 June 2012

leap of Faith is a questioning film and throughout the film the recurring theme is the question of whether miracles exist and whether god can change fate.

Steve Martin plays the lead role of Jonas nightingale, a touring faith healer and so called revival preacher who takes pride in the money he squeezes out of people during his shows in which he performs acts of religious healing which seem to work yet really are a con, or so he thinks. He quotes himself ,"I can't deliver hope but i give my people a good show".

The film starts with Jonas being stopped by the police and of course gives the feeling that he is simply a troublemaker and a con man and paired with his co partners he seems absolutely no good. However as the films goes on he develops compassion for the people he meets and slowly lets go of his conning past.

Amidst his emotional epiphany he has to deal with the local sheriff and try to maintain his reputation among the people as his career lays on the line. However some things never change as he even sends his co partner Jane to seduce the sheriff in order to change his mind.

SPOILER: Jonas soon finds that he can actually bring on miracles either by fluke or by gods choice. This meant that he believed in his abilities and that he did make a difference to peoples lives and not a fraud. He felt total fulfilment for the first time that day he brought a crippled young boy walk again.

This film was an interesting experience and brought me much food for thought as i watched it, the choir were lively and exciting which kept me interested, but otherwise the film was quite an uninteresting release and perhaps not to my liking as this style of film is traditionally quite slow and reflective however i prefer a more fast paced sequence of events.