IMDb > Kolya (1996) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Kolja

Kolya More at IMDbPro »Kolja (original title)

Page 4 of 7: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

Unforgettably touching! Unique!

Author: Reg-Australia from Australia
12 April 2012

This is perhaps, my third review here. I am not the type of person who spends her time writing movie reviews. Yet, considering how marvellous this movie is, and the fact that it doesn't have many reviews I wanted to share my own views here.

I want to be brief. I can simply tell you that it was an unforgettable experience! If you watch it you won't regret it, for it is meant to be cherished. I can, perhaps, put it at the same level of Cinema Paradiso, for both stories explore love, innocence, and friendship, but at the same time they are very different, for they deal different aspects of life.

Kolya is a profoundly beautiful film. It is not just one more Art House-because there are good, mediocre, and bad Art House movies. Kolya is soul, delight, love, and sunrise!

A surprising, heart-warming film.

Author: Kevin Marshall (marshall@gtn.net) from London, Canada
13 August 1999

I was discussing movies with an acquaintance of mine when he handed me a video of a film I had never heard of before, "Kolya". When I was through watching it, I was very pleasantly surprised. The script is very funny and very touching. I was also struck by how beautiful the cinematography was; even Louka's apartment seemed to take on a rich texture of its own.

Even if you're not into foreign films, I would recommend giving "Kolya" a try. I can't imagine anyone not enjoying this movie.

Lovely, adorable, perfect...

Author: Exiled_Archangel from Istanbul, Turkey
23 April 2003

I honestly couldn't hold my tears while watching Kolja. You won't regret watching it if you have a heart and if you have any taste on movies. Everything is realistic in the movie, blended with fabulous pictures and flawless acting. It's entertaining and very well qualifies as an art film too. It has everything one could want in a drama. A lot of feelings in the first place. Pictures how a child can change a crazy man into an excellent father, pictures how love overcomes the nasty feelings toward a particular nation due to occupation, and outlines the real life situation during the last breaths of communism in an iron curtain country. An absolutely fascinating film in general. I'd watch it again anytime.

Hurray for Kolya!!!!!! Excellent Film!

Author: Michael Hamilton from Cedar Rapids, IA
23 May 2001

This is a heartwarming, funny, and well made film. I highly recommend it for everyone. It's well written with an excellent cast. It's not often that a film touches its viewers on so many levels. Rent this film, you'll be glad you did!

Needed relief from the excesses of Hollywood.

Author: George Parker from Orange County, CA USA
21 January 2001

"Kolya", an award winning Czech film set in Prague, is a sweet and sentimental story about a boy (the title character) and a male cellist who, through circumstance, becomes his guardian. Set against a backdrop of Czech countryside and the architecture of Prague, this well crafted and wistful tale is a worthwhile 100 minute watch for those in need of relief from the numbing excesses of Hollywood blockbusters. Potentially enjoyable by all, "Kolya" will be most appreciated by mature audiences, particularly those who favor European films.

Author: anonymous from Glasgow
27 January 1999

Straight to the top of best film list. Saw this film at the Glasgow Film Theatre - not a spare seat nor a dry eye in the house. PERFECT MOVIE.

cute movie

Author: isabelbutic from houston, tx
23 February 2004

This movie had a lot of heart. We watch an aging womanizer learn how to be less selfish, and humor the idea of domestic life when he gets stuck with little cherubic Kolya. It doesn't have the sense of grandness or levity that I'd usually associate with an oscar winner but it was enjoyable nonetheless. Everything in this movie was pitch perfect, from the acting to the dialog. The kid was adorable! My favorite scene is Kolya with the escalator. I don't know much about that part of the world, and I am glad I got to learn a little bit about Czechoslovakia- even if it is through a movie. It was cool listening to their language too. At first, I was watching the DVD in French with English subtitles- until I noticed the words and mouth movements weren't matching up! woops.

A work of beauty!

Author: Nezy
6 June 1999

Louka, a poor Czech musician, agrees to marrying a young Russian woman, in order for him to get some cash and for her to be allowed to stay in Czecho-Slovakia. One must keep in mind that this takes place in 1989, before the fall of the Soviet-Union and the split of Czecho-Slovakia. Louka's new wife soon moves to Germany, leaving a relative to take care of her five-year-old son Kolya. When she falls ill, Louka has to care for Kolya. This leads to big difficulties, as Kolya only speaks Russian and Louka only Czech. This may sound like a really boring movie, but don't be put off by the fact that this is a Czech movie and that you probably have to read the subtitles. Kolya is a sedated, but beautiful movie. It's without a doubt one of the best movies I've ever seen. It shows the world through a child's eyes, especially noticable in the scenes when Kolya is sick. It features wonderful photography, clever lines and both funny and moving scenes. This movie is a work of beauty!

familiar material handled in a new and more mature way

Author: planktonrules from Bradenton, Florida
5 September 2005

The general plot of this movie is certainly not new--a confirmed bachelor having a small child dumped into his lap and the subsequent growth of this individual as a result of raising a kid. However, unlike some other similar movies, this movie never became cloying or overly sentimental (the biggest problem with similar movies). Plus, although this COULD have been a "do it by the numbers film", it diverged into unusual directions (particularly setting the movie in the waning days of communist Czechoslovakia) and the ending was NOT so predictable as well.

The acting, pacing and direction were excellent and I had no complaints about this. The only real complaint I have is that although this type of film is usually intended as family fare, KOLYA is DEFINITELY not--as it has a very brief nude scene. It's a real shame because many who would enjoy this most might not get to see it due to this one extremely brief scene. It DID help the plot along, but was certainly NOT necessary.

lovely cute boy

Author: Roman0 (rtan_2000@sina.com) from China
25 February 2002

This is a lovely movie about a cute little boy. But I don't call it a "kid's movie". The most real human emotions are exposed. There are so many wonderful, moving scenes there, see Louka's large hand holding Kolya's tiny little hand, this can be a token picture of showing the main theme of this movie. Then Kolya's kissing Louka, calling him "papa". The scene when Kolya's making a "phone call" to his grandma, with actually a shower sprinkler. This can express Kolya's actually feelings towards his grandma, how much he misses her. And this did burst me into tears, almost. And a shot close to the ending: Louka waved good-bye to Kolya, then the door slides shut, and Louka's own reflection shows in the mirror-like door... Also, there are many funny scenes about this little boy: his hip got caught by a automatic slide door, but still made his way in; and his interesting behaviors at the escalator, being afraid to step on and off.

Page 4 of 7: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]