IMDb > Kolya (1996) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Kolja

Kolya More at IMDbPro »Kolja (original title)

Page 3 of 7: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

Watch this movie if you are looking for some thoughtful, calm and light-hearted entertainment

Author: mayur_goyal (mayur_goyal@informist.net) from Boston
30 November 2002

The emotions and inevitability of human relationship effortlessly transcend the cultural and linguistic barriers. Kolya, a 1996 Czechoslovakian movie by Jan Sverak makes this point very beautifully. The movie is set in Soviet-occupied Czechoslovakia. Frank Louka (played by Zdenek Sverak who is also the writer of the movie) is a cellist who used to play for Philharmonic (the state symphony orchestra) but now plays at funerals, paints graves and leads a fairly playboy-ish lifestyle. In desperate need of money (to buy a car), he marries a Russian girl half his age and with a young son, Kolya, to get some money in lieu of helping the young lady secure the Czech citizenship. This is very much a marriage of convenience but things take an unexpected turn for him when his wife leaves his country for her lover at West Germany and her mother, who has been taking care of Kolya, falls ill. Kolya's grandmother needs to be admitted to the hospital and he is left to the care of his stepfather. Louka is at a loss as to what to be done with this latest addition to his single-person family. The language barrier does not make the task any easier. Kolya too is not comfortable and he spends his initial time at the strange surroundings sobbing and looking out of the window. Louka makes all the efforts, in vain, to find an alternative to Kolya staying with him - such as social welfare offices or with his mother. Gradually, each person's loneliness and needs bring them closer. The depiction of the gradually increasing proximity is subtle yet strong such as Kolya taking Louka's hand while crossing the road or desperation showed by Louka when Kolya gets lost during a train ride. When their relationship starts hitting a higher note, come government inquiries into Louka's marriage and a representative from the social welfare office. When it appears that the government may not let them stay in peace, Louka, alongwith Kolya, sets off (in the same car that he afforded after the marriage) to go far away from their reach. It is during their stay as outlaws that the public representations begin against the political unrest. Kolya is, un-willingly, re-united with his mother and Louka is back to a life without his stepson. The parting is tragic but Louka seems to have found some direction - he is again playing at the Philharmonic and his companion is now pregnant with their child.

This is a very well made movie that brings out the subtlety of relationships with great ease and humor. Both the actors playing the lead characters have given very realistic and down-to-earth performances.

A film not to be missed

Author: Bede from Bendigo, Australia
2 November 1998

This is a film not to be missed. The photography is a pleasure; the story line, well, a bit predictable in places, but not jarringly so; the acting from all principals, including the little boy, utterly convincing; and the background is the Czech countryside (masking its pollution with beauty, as shown in a strange scene in the otter-less Otter Creek), the incomparable Prague, and picturesque villages. Listing the qualities of the film does not capture the magical quality that lifts Kolya from the ruck, and the filmgoer from the mundane.

A great movie!

Author: Giulietta_degli_spiriti from Brasil
23 November 2003

It's a great movie! It's so funny and beautiful! With no sex or violence! It has great actors and a lovely soundtrack! The best movie of 96! It's better than a lot of American movies! Believe it!

pretty darn good

Author: maxwellsham
16 May 2001

I never saw a czeck film before this and I really wasn't sure what to expect. But it was really great and it was fantasticly balanced. Everything, the war, the russians, the home life, the job, the kid, the love interest, the mother, it was all in there and it really blended well. I hope I see many more movies as good as this. The script is great the acting great and it was really funny. Some parts were truly ROFL funny. Amazing picture.

A beautiful foreign film.

Author: spunky-17 from Illinois
9 June 1999

This was an excellent movie on many levels. It excellently depicts the economy of the U.S.S.R. right before the revolution and is funny at the same time. Kolya,the little boy played by Andrei Chalimon, is an outstanding actor. An especially good scene in the film is at the beginning, when you see Kolya looking out the plane window. The cinematography in the film is excellent and I recommend it.

A touching story

Author: Tom Murray (tamurray@acn.net) from Belleville, Ontario, Canada
5 May 2001

Louka (Zdenek Sverak), a 55-year-old, self-centred, womanizing, bachelor Cellist enters a fake marriage-of-convenience and ends up alone with a 5-year-old boy, Kolya (Andrej Chalimon), to look after. Through the experience, the man matures and becomes ready to take on a real wife and child. Chalimon gives an amazingly convincing and touching performance. The film won the Best Foreign Language Film Oscar for 1996.

Nice movie. Loved the direction.

Author: salmannawab
19 February 2014

Enjoyed the movie. Really liked the direction. Watched the movie with Subtitles and I wish I knew Russian or Czech to understand the language barrier between the characters. Found myself smiling through the subtle comical moments in the movie. It is a heart warming story which focuses on relation between a 55 year old man - Louka - a lady's man, who is dedicated to bachelorhood and a concert cellist struggling to make a living and a 5 year old Russian speaking boy - Kolya forced to look-after due to circumstances post a fake marriage in exchange of money. The characters were nicely built and the acting is superb. Wish more movies like this were created and appreciated, a work of art.

What a tearjerker!

Author: (sylviastel@aol.com) from United States
11 November 2013

This Czech film is worthy of all the accolades. Set in Prague on the end of communism, a Russian mother marries a Czech musician to become a Czech citizen in a marriage scam. Franta Louka is a lifelong bachelor and heterosexual who lives alone in an apartment. When his wife leaves for the West, she leaves her five year old adorable son to a relative who becomes ill and is handed over to Louka. Their relationship progresses as the reluctant father takes a liking to the boy. The film also shows how communism and soviet resentment in Czech. The film is both light hearted and serious. I couldn't help but feel sad by the end. The cast is first rate especially the young boy who played Kolya.

TEN out of 10 movie!

Author: Rumo Odprirody Pohan
23 August 2013

This film is an absolute mastership of movie making. The plot might seem simple to some - older man taking care of a child, but the epicness of this drama lies in the historic setting of this story which is amplified by the absolute mastery of displaying the scenes both through the eyes of a 6 yrs old as well as as the portrayed every-day struggles of a grown individual in the "normalizing" era of Czechoslovakia. The film will captivate you from it's beginning to the end, throughout the whole story in it's heartbreaking moments as well as by the easy set scenes. I do not write reviews often, but just I saw this movie when I was like 16, then sometimes in my 20ies, and being 33 these days I find this one probably the maximum level where a family movie can make it. I have no doubt you will enjoy.

Unforgettably touching! Unique!

Author: Reg-Australia from Australia
12 April 2012

This is perhaps, my third review here. I am not the type of person who spends her time writing movie reviews. Yet, considering how marvellous this movie is, and the fact that it doesn't have many reviews I wanted to share my own views here.

I want to be brief. I can simply tell you that it was an unforgettable experience! If you watch it you won't regret it, for it is meant to be cherished. I can, perhaps, put it at the same level of Cinema Paradiso, for both stories explore love, innocence, and friendship, but at the same time they are very different, for they deal different aspects of life.

Kolya is a profoundly beautiful film. It is not just one more Art House-because there are good, mediocre, and bad Art House movies. Kolya is soul, delight, love, and sunrise!

Page 3 of 7: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]