IMDb > Kazaam (1996) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

Read my comment.

Author: tokyostreetkiller from United States
21 May 2006

Shaquille O'Neal delivers an Oscar worthy performance in what might be the most powerful performance of the 90's. All around, it is brilliant. This is a gripping and amazing tale about a genie and his friendship with a lonely child. Acting is purely amazing and the story is beautifully played out like poetry in motion. Honestly, this film goes down as one of the all time greats. Top to bottom, this film is perfectly mastered. Every actor in this film comes through and nails the role perfectly. 11/10

Now, imagine the exact opposite of that. Got it? Okay, the truth is...the movie isn't even *that* good. Shaq, what were you thinking?

WTF, man?

Author: xilasero from United States
3 September 2006

Dude. This movie was AWESOME. I loved when he dunked it. Alright, i'm drinking, but so what? So, apparently I have to fill 10 lines of text. That's terrible. Good thing I got half a bottle of wine left. So, yeah, Kazaam was amazing. Shaq was a genie. Who better to play the part? No one, that's who. Yizzeah. So, anyway, Max lives in Compton and is sick of getting shot at so he hires this basketball player to be his genie. Said basketball player is terrible at free-throws. Anyway, this guy is always..like..turning crap into something else and making some other crap fall from the sky. Then he (and the Miami Heat) beat the Washington Wizards 105-86 in the opening game of their Eastern-Conference-semifinals playoff series, but then he lost to Steve Nash in the MVP voting. So, the moral is, genies are better than wizards.

I feel enlightened after watching this movie (in the good way, not the naked after a party way).

Author: DrMongol from United States
5 September 2006

I remember watching this film as a semi-retarded adolescent and not enjoying it due to the vague underlying themes that flew over my head at such a young age. However, last week, passing this movie in the Blockbuster Mega-Discount bin, I decided to re-watch it and see if my opinion has changed.

(I tried to keep this review as spoiler free as possible, without losing some of the movie's flair. I feel I have succeeded) I must say, spending that 2.50$ plus tax was the greatest decision of my pitiful and shameful life. In the 5 days I have had the VHS, I have watched this film at least 15 times, I unfortunately lost track after blacking out naked on my carpet on the 2nd day. This movie goes down in history as one of the 5 greatest drama sequels of all time, and If I had to put a rating on it's comedy factor, I would give it 4 thumbs way up. I found myself laughing throughout the entire film, calling my friends and family to repeat jokes I had heard. The casting in this film is absolutely excellent, with Shaq leading the performance like a Frenchman in a yogurt factory. The story revolves around a genie named Shaq, and a small Italian boy named Max. Upon finding a magic stereo player, Max discovers a small black genie living inside, and offers to give him a place to sleep and eat for a week. Ironically, this is where the theme of pedophilia comes into play, with multiple scenes of Max and Shaq showering together and close up shots of them smiling. I hate to repeat myself, but as a child, I understood nothing about this subject. However, as a fleshy man, I see it in a new and blinding light.

There are several moments throughout the play where the development of the characters and storyline drag, but the rest of the film certainly make up for it. The end is griping, and keeps me on the edge of my seat every time I watch it. At the same time, I cry when the credits roll and long to see Shaq's black face one more time (of course, I will rewind the movie at this point and watch it over again).

On a final note, this movie is almost perfect in every aspect. This is the epitome of what a Hollywood blockbuster should be. The casting is amazing, the special effects are mind-blowingly realistic and stunning, the fully orchestrated soundtrack fits the mood perfectly and amplifies the experience. If I were to put a grade on this, I would have to give it a 9/10, losing a point because of the slight nudity (i'm not the biggest fan, but I won't say no!). But, this is not a movie to be rated, it is a movie to be bought, watched, and enjoyed. Do yourself a big favor and buy this movie, your taste buds will thank you.

This movie changed my life.

Author: Hu-Flug-Dung from United States
3 November 2006

This movie really helped me find myself. Before I saw this movie, I wandered this streets crying often knowing my life had no purpose. Until one faithful day, I found myself in Chuckey Cheese on my usual drinking binge. When to my surprise, the robotic Chucky Cheese and gang started singing "Happy Birthday" which sounds exactly like "You're the Best" (a song from Karate Kid) after an eleven day drink binge. I saw a bright light, which many witnesses argue was a fire cause from the bad wiring in the Chucky Cheese band, pointing at the prize shelf. I took the remaining money I found on a passed out man outside the Chucky Cheese and went to play the Wack-A-Mole game that changed my life. I furiously pounded the moles while I was in the middle of the Chucky Cheese. The children screamed and cried as I fulfilled my destiny; if I could see those children again, I would hug them, for I would not have been able to win those two magical tickets. I went over to thank Chucky which soon after I blacked out, passing out on stage I woke up a few days later in my one room apartment with the tape super-glued to my face. In my excitement I quickly tore it from my skin and shoved it into my VCR. The next hour and thirty-six minutes (I got the special edition) of my life would be the happiest any man could ask for. I was so blown away by the amazing special effects that I was overcame and called an ambulance to pick me up after the movie ended. Shaq play a stunning and realistic role as a rapping Genie. I often found myself dancing in room to his tunes while my neighbor was yelling hurtful words and threats through the wall. After awhile though, I passed out on my floor. Awaking from another blackout, I caught glimpses of Shaq giving candy to all the children. I laughed, I cried. Could this movie be as brilliant as I realized. The ambulance pulled up and I told the paramedics to grab my belly; I was immediately tared. After a few weeks in intensive care, I returned to my house how I left it. Kazaam has given me a new out look on life and hopefully it will help shape your views.

Please make it stop.

Author: bonja from Downers Grove, IL
29 January 2001

This is the worst film I have ever seen.I was watching this film with some friends and after 40 minutes we had enough. The plot was bad and there wasn't a single likeable character.I could get more entertainment watching static. I gave this movie a 1 only because the scale didn't go into negative numbers. Avoid this movie at all costs.

Shaq should stay OUT of music and acting!!!

Author: Asteri-Atypical from Orlando, FL
9 June 2003

What a pathetic movie.

I won't waste much time commenting about it. I'm still trying to get back the couple hours I wasted on it.

Let me leave it simply with - Shaq has NO BUSINESS being an actor or singer. He is utterly without talent at both discplines. It's a crying shame that substantially more talented people waste away in community theatres and karaoke bars while Shaq uses his name as a basketball player to undeservedly get cast in movies and cut CDs.

Much of the failure of this movie was the pathetic no-talent that is Shaq.

(Sigh.)

Author: stupidones from Lincoln, NE USA
26 February 2002

There's only one thing I need to say about this movie - the scene where Shaq is in a musical number with Francis Capra's character about wanting to be a genie; never see this movie. The story is horrible, the acting is terrible (c'mon, it's Shaq!) and I'd rather see Capra in Free Willy (equally horrible) twice before ever seeing this movie.

what the hell?

Author: zabouke from papillion nebraska
5 May 2001

This is one of the most god-awful movies ever. Shaq better just stick to basketball. This movie took away apart of my life I will never have back. I will make fun of this movie until I die, and then some. It is so horrible it is not even funny. MST3000 would have a blast with this one.

Shaq stars as a rapping genie.

Author: (nathan-moore@utulsa.edu) from Little Rock, AR
18 July 2004

This is, by far, without a doubt, the best movie that has ever been produced on film. Shaq's awesomely realistic portrayal of a rapping genie is the best thing to be displayed on screen in decades, rivaling performances of Al Pacino, Kerry Grant, Jack Nicholson, Marlon Brando, and all of the other great actors of our time. Now Shaquille O'Neal shall be added to that list. This uniquely told tale of a boy who finds a whimsical boom box wherein lies a magical genie is one hundred percent genius. This film came at a time when good writing and good casting was scarce in Hollywood; but this film renews hope in a new generation of audiences, and renews hope in a culture. >From the musical score to the costume design, this film is purely golden; the 'Citizen Kane' of a new generation.

Once upon a time...

Author: akalite_libra from United States
21 March 2008

For the life me, now that I'm 19 (almost 20) I have no idea why I watched it as much as I did. My dad actually laughed when I asked to get it. For one, it stars Shaquille O'Neal, which should have been a clue. At the time, I thought that was neat, and made me watch it more. I loved this movie while I was young. I use to pray for the genie, so I could make it rain candy. The most hilarious part, was it was an illegal copy, and at the bottom of the screen, it would scroll "This is an illegal copy. If you have bought this from a store, you have broken the law." Anyway, as I got older, I saw how stupid the story line is, and how bad the acting is. However, it was part of my childhood, and you can't ignore your childhood. Make fun of me all you want for once liking it, but remember, I was seven at the time.

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]