Homeward Bound II: Lost in San Francisco (1996) Poster

A surprisingly good sequel.
Mightyzebra31 December 2007
Lacking the beauty, charm and teamwork of the original film (the remake) this sequel makes up in adventure and romance! This one is probably slightly funnier, with another good adventure and almost as much proof as the last one that dogs really are man's best friend.

However, this sequel has its flaws, as in things about the film that don't completely make sense if you have watched the first film. For example, in the first film Chance learnt how to be a faithful and kind dog to Jamie, but in this it seem's he's even sillier. Another one of these flaws is that he explains in the first film that he lived on the streets and now Shadow is talking about how he can't live on the streets and he doesn't know how to. WHAT!?

Otherwise, an incredibly good sequel, with romance, adventure and charm, but just doesn't have the emotion that made the original film so special and captivating.

Chance's, Sassy's and Shadow's owners are going on a camping trip and taking the dogs with them. However, Chance, like in the last film, becomes incredibly confused with the situation and escapes out of his dog box before all three of them are loaded onto the plane. That means they are lost in San Francisco, while the humans go off without them! What can they do?

Recommended to people who liked the first film, people who were disappointed that there was no romance in the first film and just people who like dogs!

Enjoy "Homeward Bound II: Lost in San Francisco"!
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The second animal adventure
Petri Pelkonen12 May 2010
Chance, Shadow and Sassy get lost again.This time those two dogs and the cat try to find their way back home from San Francisco.They are in constant danger as they get chased by illegal dog chasers and a couple of street-wise dogs.But something good happens on the journey when Chance falls for the street dog Delilah.Homeward Bound II: Lost in San Francisco (1996) is directed by David R. Ellis.Michael J. Fox does the voice of the American Bulldog Shance again.Sally Field is the Himalayan cat Sassy again.Ralph Waite has replaced the late Don Ameche as the old Golden Retriever Shadow.Adam Goldberg is the voice of Pete.Carla Cugino is Delilah.Tommy Lasorda is Lucky Lasorda.Michael Bell is Stokey.Jon Polito is Ashcan.Sinbad gives the voice-over for Riley.In plain actors we see Robert Hays, who plays Bob Seaver.Kim Greist is Laura Seaver.Jamie Seaver is played by Kevin Chevalia.Hope Seaver is played by Veronica Lauren.Benj Thall is Peter Seaver.This isn't quite the same level with the first part, but it works.It's fun to watch the small quarrels between those animals."Cats Rule, dogs drool" and that sort of stuff.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Chance, Sassy, and Shadow are back!!!!!
Seth Nelson4 September 2006
If you thought the first movie was great, that's awesome!!!!! But the second movie????? Come along and find out!!!!!

Disney made a sequel to the 1993 film in 1996. It was called "Homeward Bound II: Lost in San Francisco," and this is a very exciting Disney live action film. In it, we have the same family as before, and they were packing up on a vacation for Vancouver, Canada. However, the animals escaped at the airport, and now the family left without Chance, Sassy, and Shadow!!!!! Now, like in the last film, they had to find their way home (and it put a huge dent in the family vacation, too).

Most people might not like this film, but seeing as how the first film was great, this movie is the same, too. I like how exciting the adventure was, and I thought the pets' encounter with the Blood Red Van was funny, too!!!!!

"HB II: LISF" is twice as fun as the first one is!!!!!

10 stars
9 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Good Comedy
klaym23 November 2005
I thought it was pretty funny. I didn't know Will Sasso was in the movie, he is a good comedian. Chance and Sassy were really funny along with Pete and his partner. This movie was better than the first one. I usually don't like Animal movies but this was one of the only ones I ever liked. This is only my opinion, other's may very. I really like this movie because I'm a big comedy fan and this movie basically was a comedy. Not only that, it was a good heroic tale and shows the strength of family. I wish I could have a dog like Chance and Shadow (though I would like for them to actually speak). Check out the movie for yourself. If you don't like, there is nothing I can do about it, but I would recommend it to comedy lovers and drama lovers.
6 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Engaging sequel, a notch above usual kiddie fare
Scott Piehler6 September 1999
I rented this mostly for my 4-year-old daughter, who enjoys both the 1963 original "Incredible Journey", and the 1993 remake. She thought the sequel was very funny, particularly some of Sassy the Cat's antics. I must admit, the movie took me in as well.

The sequel is a little heavier-handed than the 1993 remake. Not only do our three main characters have to get home, but they have to defeat a gang of city dogs, outwit two dognappers who are trying to sell strays to the "The Lab", rescue a child from a burning building, and find true love on top of it all!

Still, not a bad way to spend 89 minutes. Michael J. Fox is again excellent as Chance, Sally Fields is full of indignation as Sassy, and Ralph Waite does an eerily accurate recreation of the late Don Ameche's characterization of Shadow. Sinbad is wasted as Reilly, their new city dog friend. The character seemed to be more of an afterthought than anything.

Most pleasant surprise: Al Michaels, Tommy Lasorda and Bob Uecker as three dogs "broadcasting" a pee-wee baseball game. If you are looking for a movie to enjoy with your children without feeling totally insulted, Homeward Bound II is a solid bet. A few tense moments, but nothing that should upset anyone beyond the Teletubbies set.
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
This Sequel Not Bad, But A Bit Stilted
ccthemovieman-14 October 2006
Once again, the animals and their corresponding voices from famous actors make up the bulk of the film (as opposed to real-life actors Robert Hays and Kim Griest playing actual people). Also, we have a similar theme as in the first "Homeward Bound" with animals lost and having to find their way home.

This sequel is not as good as the original. It dwells a little too much on the romance between the two dogs, and it doesn't show enough interesting scenes in San Francisco, which you would really expect from the title of the film alone. The animals stayed too long in one spot and should have been on the move more.

Otherwise, Michael J. Fox and Sally Field once again have a ton of gag lines to speak as the dog and cat, respectively. Many of their lines were good, some very clever that kids won't understand. The jokes of those two were the highlight of the movie. There were no annoying or evil villains, or even bad-guy dog catchers.

All in all, it was okay but nothing special.
5 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Nowhere near as good as the first one
Atreyu_II30 December 2007
"Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey" is a beautiful, charming, emotional and timeless classic, as well as one of the best animal movies. But I can't say the same about its sequel.

"Homeward Bound II: Lost in San Francisco" is not a bad film. For a sequel, it's not all that bad. It is still entertaining enough and features the same main cast (except Don Ameche, who passed away in 1993). But the movie just can't reach the greatness of the first one, so the fact that it is disappointing comes to me as no surprise. This movie simply doesn't follow the spirit of the original neither the spirit of others like it.

The plot is somewhat similar to the first one's. However, instead of the Sierra mountains, this one takes our 3 pet friends to the urban life, more precisely to the worst streets of San Francisco. Basically it focus more on desert roads, empty streets and dirty alleys. We don't see that much of San Francisco, neither of its most beautiful things. This is a radical contrast with the first movie's environment, which shows us all the beauty of pure nature in the Sierra mountains.

In this film, our buddies Shadow, Chance and Sassy often face city's dangers, such as weird people, two dog catchers who lock street dogs in their van to take them to one of those creepy laboratories and two rival dogs: a vicious boxer-like dog and a goofy bulldog-like dog, despite the help of numerous street dogs (Riley and his gang).

The two rival dogs are particularly annoying, especially the boxer-like dog. Most of the street dogs here are annoying either, except for Delilah (a beautiful Kuvasz) and Riley. As for the dog catchers, the driver isn't that annoying, but his partner is. On the other hand, the cute little boy Tucker was adorable and his cute kitten Tiger too.

The movie isn't nostalgic, emotional or charming like the first one. While it has some funny gags, it isn't humor as pleasant as in the first one. The soundtrack isn't as good as in the first one, although this one still has some good music.

One of the few really good things in this movie is the Golden Gate Bridge (the enormous bridge in San Franciso), a construction that always fascinated me.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I thought it was a fun family movie
Kristine7 November 2006
I loved the first Homeward Bound so much, it was one of my favorite childhood films. My friend had the sequel and I guess I was kind of curious where the story would go or end. The first Homeward Bound was so adorable and such a great story, so why not see the second one? It seemed like a great concept and go back to the magic of the first one. While it's not as good as the first one, I warn you, I think this was still a fine family film.

The family is going on vacation again, but this time they are taking the pets with. But Jamie and Chance's relationship has changed, where Jamie isn't playing with Chance as often and Sassy teases Chance that he's going back to "the bad place", in the dog world that means "the pound". So, Chance escapes the cage taking him to the plane, Shadow and Sassy follow to help Chance. They end up lost in San Francisco and get their butts saved by other street dogs, Chance also falls for one of those dogs named Delila. But it's street vs. pet and if humans are really worth risking everything for.

Like I said, the second Homeward Bound doesn't compare to the original and the plot is extremely similar, but I think over all that it worked very well for the kids. The whole family will enjoy the film, it has positive energy and fun jokes that anyone could enjoy if they don't have an attitude problem. So, give the second Homeward Bound a chance, you may just like it.

3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Decent sequel, but it doesn't quite live up to its original
TheLittleSongbird30 December 2009
Homeward Bound:The Incredible Journey was a beautiful charming film, that I have loved since childhood. And maybe it is just me but I feel it is underrated as well. This sequel is inferior, but in my mind, it is decent. It does have its problems, such as the lame direction, the not-so-crisp editing and one too many slow and corny moments in the plot. But what does compensate hugely is the witty script(of which Sassy gets the majority of the best lines), the lovely soundtrack and the voice acting. Michael J Fox and Sally Field once again do fine work, and while the late Don Ameche was a lot more noble and gentle, Ralph Waite does an above average job as the voice of Shadow the Golden Retriever. The animals also did wonderfully and came very close to stealing the show, and the camera-work is often excellent. All in all, worth the look, but be warned that it doesn't quite live up to its original. 7/10 Bethany Cox
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Lacks The Originality And Emotional Punch Of The First Effort
zkonedog11 March 2017
While watching the first Homeward Bound film, I was impressed by its cinematic ability to conjure up an emotional viewer response from not only children, but also adults as well. Almost everyone can relate to losing a beloved pet, so that theme was able to deeply resonate with any set of eyeballs. Unfortunately, this second effort, "Lost In San Francisco", fails to do likewise on a variety of different counts.

First, the plot is a complete rip-off of the original. The two dogs (Shadow and Chance) and one feline (Sassy) once again are accidentally separated from their familial owners and "decide" (since this IS a film about talking animals!) to set out to find them; this time on the streets of San Francisco. Essentially, all the same basic jokes and sight gags are repeated and the main "characters" aren't really developed any more than the first try. A few new animals are thrown into the mix, but few really stand out as being all that interesting or important to the overall character development.

Also, the themes in this film are a bit shadier than the much more traditionally-Disney HB1. The concept of racism (with some dogs speaking jive) and even subtle hints towards sexuality (a lone cat feeling uncomfortable among dogs, Chance developing a romantic relationship, etc.) only serve to water down a film franchise which, at its best, was always dangerously closing to crossing over the "weepy cheeseball" line. Though those themes will go right over the heads of most youngsters, these films are also made to at least keep adults paying attention and somewhat enthused, but these darker topics makes the message seem both clichéd and preachy.

Thus, although the kiddies may like this film just as much as the original, if you were one of the adults who were surprised to find yourself tearing up at the end of part one, don't expect the same sort of emotional material in this effort. It's decent, but just fails to capture the innocence and playfulness that was so readily apparent in the predecessor.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Homeward Bound This into the San Francisco Bay.
Python Hyena21 May 2015
Homeward Bound 2: Lost in San Francisco (1996): Dir: David R. Ellis / Cast: Robert Hays, Kim Griest, Kevin Chevalia, Veronica Lauren, Benj Thall: Sequel to Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey that is basically the same film set in new locations. Witless plot has two dogs and a cat on a journey from San Francisco. They are involved in dog fights, avoid dogcatchers, and save a cat from a burning building. Logic goes out the window once the dogs band together against dogcatchers. Lame family film idiocy with a retread plot and horrible directing by David R. Ellis. He basically repackages the same film with a new title and even dumber circumstances. Robert Hays was in Airplane and Kim Griest was in Brazil. Together they are given absolutely nothing to work with as the animal owners. Considering that they both had at least one decent film on the resume, they should not have been punished with this one. On the bright side they can always use their superior films to focus attention and try to forget they were ever in this shat stain family film. Also having their time wasted in this travesty are Kevin Chevalia and Veronica Laruren who play the children who seem to have read the manual on how to act like the typical kid in bad Hollywood movies. Pining on the success of the first film, this film should be tossed to the dogs to be chewed to bits and resulted in that mess in the front yard. Score: 1 / 10
A adorable canie movie
lisafordeay11 June 2014
Homeward Bound II is a sequel to the 1993 film on the same name about 2 dogs and a cat who go missing in a Home Alone style scenario and have to try and find there way back home. This time the family and the 2 dogs and the cat Sassy are off to Canada but one of the dogs(voiced by Micheal J Fox called Chance)ends up freaking out and Shadow(Ralph White) and Sassy(Sally Fields) also free themselves from the cages they were in and end up getting lost in San Francisco. Of course Chance ends up falling for Deliah later on in the movie and two men who are up to no good are after the dogs. So will they or won't they get back home in time to be reunited with their families again?

Overall I really enjoyed this movie and I was glad I came across it in HMV this year for a bargain. If I see the original sometime out on DVD I will definitely be buying it too. The voice cast is great,the story is nice and the backgrounds are nice too. Its nice that the dogs mouths aren't moving like in Marmalade or that god awful Beverly Hills Chihuahua.

0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Family pets on their own...again.
Michael O'Keefe3 February 2008
Walt Disney Pictures bring back that lovable trio of Chance, Sassy and Shadow. The Seaver family led by Robert Hays is off on vacation and by hook or crook the family pets are not on the flight when the plane takes off. So that leaves Chance(voiced by Michael J. Fox), Sassy(voiced by Sally Field) and the wiser Shadow(Ralph Waite)to hit the mean streets of San Francisco in this sequel to HOMEWARD BOUND: THE INCREDIBLE JOURNEY. New friend Riley(voiced by Sindbad)helps navigate the hazards of the trek home across the Golden Gate Bridge. Chance even falls in love with a persuasive pooch Delilah(voiced by Carla Gugino). There are new things to sniff, friends to make and daring rescues to be made. These three very likable pets are bound to please all ages in this adventure. Others lending voices: Adam Goldberg, Bob Uecker, Tommy Lasorda, Al Michaels, Stephen Tobolowsky and Tish Campbell.
Good film!
Movie Nuttball27 July 2005
Homeward Bound II: Lost in San Francisco is a very good film that has a good cast which includes Michael J. Fox, Sally Field, Sinbad, Stephen Tobolowsky, Veronica Lauren, Jon Polito, Adam Goldberg, Kevin Chevalia, Robert Hays, Kim Greist, Ralph Waite, Benj Thall, Kristina Lewis, Al Michaels, Nathaniel DeVeaux, and Bob Uecker! The acting by all of these actors is very good. The thrills is really good and some of it is surprising. The movie is filmed very good. The music is good. The film is quite interesting and the movie really keeps you going until the end. This is a very good and thrilling film. If you like Michael J. Fox, Sally Field, Sinbad, Stephen Tobolowsky, Veronica Lauren, Jon Polito, the rest of the cast in the film, Adventure, Drama, Family, Comedy and interesting Animal films then I strongly recommend you to see this film today!
3 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Cash in rubbish
chucknorrisrules12 April 2009
SPOILER WARNING

The original Homeward Bound story is a fascinating story of wide panoramic settings, a strong bond between the three animals, Shadow, Sassy and Chance and a pledge with one another to walk home to San Francisco despite the miles and miles of dangerous wilderness between them. The three main characters are well rounded, interesting, and you care about them so much that the human characters seem somewhat less relevant (though not entirely because they serve as motivation for the characters to when they will return home).

This however, is not.

We're at a point where the family is preparing to go camping in Canada, but after a paranoid Chance cocks things up by thinking he's being abandoned, the animals stupidly run away from the airport and find themselves down the back streets of San Francisco.

The animals seem to meander around the city mindlessly, dodging two very thick men working for illegal testing labs and two incredibly irritating strays (one of whom dubiously has a voice uncannily similar to Mike Tyson), team up with a gang of other misanthrope strays now and again (even more insufferable with some of the awful garbagy lines spouted out), and in general, the film doesn't seem to know what to do with itself, because as we all know, since these animals successfully navigated an entire wilderness for miles and miles last time, a city would be pretty small potatoes! We even fill the gap by having a bit where a kid is saved from a burning house! Any minute, I would expect Rin-Tin-Tin to come up with his attorney with a cease-and-desist note and threats of suing for copyright (and to be honest, I wouldn't blame him)! It is so bone-idle, that it in fact levers in a cheesy romance plot between Chance and a stray called Delilah! What were the writing team thinking when they cooked this up? My only conclusion: They're all raving lunatics! We don't need a stupid romantic sub-plot levered into these films, it's totally superfluous! To make this story aggravatingly boneheaded, we even have a love rival by the way of another irritating redneck-drawling stray dog with the brains of a kipper! (For some reason, they use a Grand-Bleu De Gascogne for this, sadly a very rare dog, which would smack of doggie racism, unless it perhaps indicates that the writers hate the French and the rednecks.) I also wonder why Chance still behaves like a terminally-naive puppy despite his last experiences in the wilderness which would surely have taught him a thing or two! Not forgetting, in the first film, Chance explained that before he was adopted he was a stray dog, and was abandoned when still a puppy, so he'd know a little about living on the streets don't you think? The conclusion that wraps up the film's stories is cringe worthy to the point of wanting to put your foot through the telly! I won't reveal it, but if you look at the rest of the film, a climax of this film will not be worth the case it is carried in! Stick to Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey. At least that way you can pretend that this Godawful mess never existed and enjoy the better original. Watching this sequel may result in you hurling yourself in front of a freight train! You have been warned!
2 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
a very nice movie
alina_bodic9 March 2010
Well maybe some peoples don't like this movie but I can say that is an enjoyable movie. I saw the two movies and I liked both. If someone want to spend a nice afternoon in front of TV then You can watch at Homeward Bound I or II.

Sassy is like a lady from a high society , she despises the ordinary life, the ordinary dogs like Chance but in fact she is part from an ordinary life and she like this life.

Is a movie for all family, for kids or for adults, take how you wish and in plus is an enjoyable movie. Watch at this movie that will bring a smile on your face.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Awesome movie, as great as the first!
dearkayzak14 November 2006
I might be the only one but I loved the first and second movie equally! I thought it was awesome to see them find their way home threw the wilderness and then threw the city! But some people got upset that the animals didn't explore to much of the city! Go there one day and you'll understand why they didn't! I for one thought it be a bit silly if they were to wander around SF for most of the movie, but thats just me! This movie made me laugh and cry, just as the first one did! I really cried at the scene where everyone thought Chance got hit by the truck! I mean a dog is a man's bf!! I know my dog is!! But I also love the voice actors who 'play' the animals! I believe Fox is an awesome actor/voice actor! I was upset when I heard that the original voice actor for Shadow had passed away, I watched the first movie so often that you can really tell the difference and it just sounds kinda weird!! But all in all its and excellent movie and I know they can't do a third one, cause there's nothing to do it on, its a shame nothing more can be done with the story!
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Homeward Bound II: Lost in San Francisco
Jackson Booth-Millard20 June 2005
Disney's Homeward Bound (remake of The Incredible Journey) introduced the three talking animals, and this was the sequel that followed it, from director David R. Ellis (Final Destination 2, Snakes on a Plane). Basically it's been three years since the previous events, the family are happily living in San Francisco heading for a vacation to Canada. Once again the pets somehow get left behind just after the plane takes off, so Shadow the dog (voiced by The Bodyguard's Ralph Waite, replacing Don Ameche), Chance the dog, (voiced by Michael J. Fox) and Sassy the cat (voiced by Sally Field) try to find their way back to their owners. Along the way they meet scruffy bully dogs, abandoned rebel dogs, some bumbling dog catchers in their "Blood Red Van", and Chance even finds himself a girlfriend that could distract him completely. Eventually they make it out of the city in one piece, and hardly any danger or shenanigans, and back to their owners, with Chance's girlfriend not too far behind. Also starring Airplane's Robert Hays as Bob Seaver, Kim Greist as Laura Seaver, Veronica Lauren as Hope Seaver, Kristina Lewis as Stacy, Kevin Chevalia as Jamie Seaver, Adam Goldberg as Pete, Sinbad as Riley and Stephen Tobolowsky as Bando. The animals are still lovable and fun to watch, but the lack of adventurous moments makes it is pretty boring compared to the first one. Adequate!
2 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
not quite up there with the first
Special-K8814 September 2002
This time around, those three beloved pets Chance, Sassy, and Shadow are preparing for a vacation with their human owners. Unfortunately, the pets get stranded at the airport and find themselves running wild all over the city of San Francisco, befriending—as well as making enemies with—street dogs who distrust humans, eluding greedy dogcatchers, and trying desperately to make it home safely to their owners. Amusing and well-intended, this sequel has lots more vocal talents, hilarious wisecracks, and impressive Bay area scenery, but the story is strained and lacks the heart, joy, and sheer entertainment value of its predecessor. **½
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Dogs on a Plane?
Torgo_Approves5 September 2006
Well, not really. This, David R. Ellis' first outing, is a pretty bland family movie which parents probably won't laugh out loud at, but won't find terrible either. Ellis is limited to kiddie stuff, has no Samuel L. Jackson on his side, and definitely no snakes, so what he's left to work with is a rather lackluster script in a movie whose target is to cash in on the original rather than expand on it. Still, the movie is alright for what it is, and with a name like "Homeward Bound 2: Lost in San Fransisco", what did you expect?? The dogs are cute, the cat is cool, and although I personally would have enjoyed the movie more if the animals went insane aboard their owners' flight, it's a perfectly passable and inoffensive movie for the kids. Overall, "Lost" is an OK way to kill a few hours together with the wee ones. Just don't expect anything on the level of "Snakes on a Plane".

Warning: Not recommended for teenagers. Corny jokes overload. (r#62)
1 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Just more overrated junk...
PinkBubbles8 July 2000
This movie is just some movie that tries to balance in goodness with its original, but turns out to be trashy.

The plot is just plain dull. It's a clone, only it's about our three friends on the streets of San Francisco instead of the wilderness. The new animal characters are just there to fill in time, and the love plot, to me, added nothing to the movie, but yet more time to fill in. Subtract all the fill-ins, and we have a movie of about 15 minutes in length.

** out of *****
1 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One for the pups
JoeytheBrit7 September 2011
This would be a strange one to watch with the sound turned down. Much of it would consist of two dogs or a dog and a cat staring disinterestedly at each other for half-a-minute at a time. With sound it's a little more entertaining, although in this age of computer games it would probably struggle to keep even younger kids entertained for long. The story is essentially a remake of the original with the action transplanted to the city of San Francisco. Our heroes go through a number of mildly diverting adventures before making their way home. There's a pair of dastardly dog catchers – has, I wonder, any film been made in the history of cinema that featured a non-dastardly dog-catcher? I don't know, perhaps in a country where rabies is rife. The dog-catchers give the kids someone to hiss at, but there's nothing particularly threatening about them. Each of the animals involved has a voice, although this being the olden days of the mid-1990s, the cheap technology required to give the illusion that their mouths are actually moving obviously didn't exist, so we have to assume all animals are telepathic, I suppose. The voices, other than Ralph Waite as the older dog, don't really suit. Had I been in charge of the voices I'd have given each the voice of a famous old movie star. It would have kept me entertained.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The same problems with the humour and characters, but a less entertaining adventure this time
Electrified_Voltage23 April 2010
This is the sequel to the 1993 family adventure film, "Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey". In my review of that film, I talked about my experience seeing most of it probably not long after its video release in 1993. "Homeward Bound II: Lost in San Francisco" must have been new (or fairly new) to the VHS format when I saw it for the first time in 1996. I was around ten years old when that happened, and can't remember much from my first viewing, but I do remember liking the film. After finally watching its predecessor from start to finish earlier this week, leaving me with mixed feelings, I watched this 1996 sequel for the first time in nearly fourteen years, and this time, I basically thought it was average.

Chance, Shadow, and Sassy are still living with the same family, but the troublemaking Chance isn't sure if his young owner, Jamie Seaver, wants him around anymore. The family decides to go on a trip to Canada and take the pets with them. However, at the airport in San Francisco, when the three animals are in carriers about to be put in the cargo hold of the plane, Chance panics and the three of them escape! The plane takes of with the humans on board, who don't know that they are leaving their pets behind. The naïve young Bulldog, wise old Golden Retriever, and arrogant Himalayan cat find themselves lost again, this time not in the wilderness, but on the streets of San Francisco! While walking through the city, they meet many stray dogs, some good and some bad, and Chance even falls in love with one of the good ones, a Kuvasz named Delilah. The animals have to try and stay away from two cruel dogcatchers who drive around in search of dogs to capture and take to a laboratory!

One thing that is meant for laughs in the first "Homeward Bound" film is the rivalry between Chance and Sassy, which continues here, and unfortunately, it's not that funny in either film. I once again didn't usually find either of these two characters funny, and was once again not that impressed with the voice-overs provided by Michael J. Fox and Sally Field. Just like in the first film, the humour in this sequel rarely works. There were times when I smiled, and I couldn't help but laugh a little when Chance runs off with a baseball player's catcher's mitt near the beginning, but this was not enough, and most of the dogs introduced in this sequel don't tend to help much. When I recently watched "Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey", I found that it was dull for a while but then improved when the big adventure began. However, while watching this sequel, I found that it basically continued to be dull when the adventure began, and stayed this way for most of the film. The adventure of the three pets here takes place in a very different setting, and we don't get the nice scenery. There is SOME suspense here, especially towards the end, but definitely less than there is in the 1993 release. I almost forgot to mention that the dog romance here also wasn't done do well, and it's something the original "Homeward Bound" doesn't have.

Since I only found "Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey" to be barely above average when I saw it this month, I may not have ended up watching this unsurprisingly inferior sequel if I had never seen it before, but since I had previously seen "Homeward Bound II: Lost in San Francisco" and remembered thinking it was good (better than the original at the time), I intended to watch it again and review it. Well, some movies one enjoys in their childhood can still be entertaining in adulthood, and some of them can't, and for me, this is one of the latter. I first watched it around the same time I first watched "Jumanji", and I've seen that film again twice in the past few years and it hasn't disappointed me, but that didn't turn out to be the case with this "Homeward Bound" sequel. It seems to be considerably less popular than its predecessor, as sequels often are, and even though I'm certainly not as big a fan of the 1993 film as many clearly are, I think I can understand why, at least somewhat. If they were to make another "Homeward Bound" movie, I highly doubt I would bother watching it.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this