IMDb > The Grave (1996) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The Grave More at IMDbPro »

Unsung little gem

Author: Wayne Malin (wwaayynnee51@hotmail.com) from United States
4 November 2002

I only caught the last half of this on cable yesterday but I was able to figure out quickly what was going on. I didn't intend to watch it, but I couldn't stop! It's a weird little tale filled with pitch black humor (that's probably why it barely got released), some neat twists and turns and the cast giving it their all (especially Anthony Michael Hall and cutie Craig Sheffer). I didn't quite understand the identity of the narrator at the end (I'm assuming it was the girl) but, that aside, it really works. I'm not sure where this was shot but it gives you a real feeling for the Deep South.

A sick, funny little movie. Worth catching.

A sinister little thriller

Author: neal66 from Georgia USA
28 January 1999

This is a sinister little thriller with diabolically nasty twist at the end.I especially like the macabre humor that the script uses and location gave it a great atmosphere. It reminds me of Tales of the Crypt

episodes that I enjoyed.

classic trash.

Author: (billybrown41@hotmail.com) from Kimberling City, MO.
27 July 2001

I really hate to use the term "guilty pleasure" but here, it seems to be fitting. I caught it late one night on HBO or something like that. Anyway, I got into it and missed the ending so I had to order a copy. I'm glad I did. The movie hits that "Tales From the Crypt" feel right on the head. There is not one likeable character in the whole thing. All of the jokes come on time and the black humor is right on target. The Southern atmosphere does its work, giving everything a creepy atmosphere. I enjoyed all of the performances. Anything with Keith David involved usually has it's rewards. His performance in this was fairly brief, but enjoyable. In fact the whole thing was enjoyable and highly entertaining. There is not a dull moment in the whole thing and the plot twists come at a rapid pace. Just be on your toes to catch all of the references and jokes. I's full of 'em.

one of my all time favorites

Author: ninacarroll111 from United States
9 May 2006

This is a great dark comedy. Unlike most of Hollywood's big hits it actually has a plot. Nice twists and turns keeps you wondering. The actors are not the big million dollar over-rated ones that you see in absolutely everything. Most people I mention this movie to have never even heard of it. This is not some cheesy, gory horror movie. It falls more under the Suspense genre. This is the perfect movie if you are tired of the same old, played out, predictable crap that is churned out by the Hollywood machine such as all those awful zombie movies.The only bad thing about this movie is that it is not out on DVD yet only VHS. Go get this movie today!!! It will be well worth your time.

What's your price?

Author: lost-in-limbo from the Mad Hatter's tea party.
16 August 2008

We begin with two dark figures in a dank and shadowy prison somewhere in a southern American town. Then the silence is broken by a husky voice, as we hear of a story of a couple of escaped convicts trekking through swamplands on their way to a graveyard to search out some hidden treasure. Throughout it moves back and forth between the actual tale and that of the narrator. So like others have mentioned, it does have that 'Tales from the Crypt' touch, as it doesn't come any bitterer than this southern Gothic thriller with a wicked sense of black humour and seedy violence. There's a quirky quality about (mainly the characters), but the few macabre and creepy inclusions at times do offset it. However it does what it sets out to achieve and rather well too. Even with its recycled story developments and genre conventions (treachery, greed leading to the true reflection and you know the rest), due to smart flavored writing it's engrossingly unpredictable and razor edged with an oozing, captivating turn of events. The material constantly engages as there's always something going on or references to keep look out for, but there are questionable story details. Being small scale it relied on the script, and also committed performances from Craig Sheffer, Josh Charles, Donal Logue, Anthony Michael Hall, John Diehl and the gorgeous Gabrielle Anwar. In lesser, but highly amusing cameo roles were Eric Roberts, Giovanni Ribisi and Keith David. Location work is authentically picture-perfect. The southern atmospheric tailoring is lush, humid and surprisingly haunting during the night sequences. You feel as if you're right there, because of director Jonas Pete's great sense of place and situation. There are a few inspired set-pieces and vivid images (caught in the graveyard and a torture scene for information). Boldly directed, briskly edited and Alex Wurman's potently racy and twangy southern music score go on to deliver an agreeable mix. A good, quick moving and provocative independent midnight movie.

Macabre? A bit. Scary? Not really. Funny? You bet!

Author: MayhapsItWasGoodBackThen from ImpossibleToPleaseThirtySumthings
25 August 1999

I don't think this flick was that bad. I rather enjoyed watching it to be honest. Witty dialogue. Hillbilly humor. And although the actors are pretty unknown they all pull it off quite nicely. Especially the narrator does a great job. Creepy! ;)

Like he cleverly points out: "In the end everyone gets what they deserve." I think this movie wasn't even meant to be taken seriously. It's just fun to watch because you can never know exactly what's going to happen next. And that's refreshing for a change. ;)

The night scenery was the best part of the movie

Author: joeestlinbm from United States
20 February 2005

One of the reasons I liked this movie, is because Gabriella Anwar was in it. She's beautiful beyond words. The show was suspenseful, ghoulish, comical, and to some extent romantic. One of the scenes that I thought was the funniest was when Craig Sheffers Character, who had been buried alive for at least 24 hrs was dug up, and was still alive. The expression on his face was priceless. I was very surprised to find out who the priest had been talking with in prison, at the end. If you like dark scenery, ghoulish, and somewhat stupid macabre characters, you'll love this movie. I wouldn't recommend it for children or shell shocked adults. It might cause traumatic episodes.

So there ya go!

More to this movie than meets the eye...

Author: athanaric (athanaric@thepentagon.com) from Dallas, Texas.
18 December 1999

I casually watched this one night on cable and giggled at the small details such as the Southern vernacular and wise sayings, the classic Rush t-shirt on Mr. Hall, the pot smoking Cletus, etc... Since then I've seen this 6 times and love this movie now! It's a bit of a classic to me. It has a great ending that will make anyone smile and the intricacies of the movie come out if you really pay attention. This gets **** from me.

Stay with it...you'll love it!

Author: (rhoughton@iprimus.com.au) from Melbourne Australia
31 October 2000

For a non American, the accents are a bit hard to get used to, but once you do, it's really worth watching. A black comedy with a few delightful twists to keep the audience on its' toes, and to give it a good laugh. It reminded me a little of THE TROUBLE WITH HARRY, and I can't help wondering what Hitchcock would have done with this story. Enjoyable ending.

Memorable and entertaining

Author: Nick Dets from US
29 November 2002

There is one extremely vague spoiler, if you are really intrigued by its story then don't read on... When I was in the fifth grade, I caught some of Jonas Pete's "The Grave" on MAX and was too frightened to watch any more. Three years later, I ordered it off E-Bay and saw what I missed (which was everything but the first ten minutes). I still found it pretty intriguing and absorbing. The pace never keeps you bored, but the script skims out on the development of characters and some story. This isn't too much of a problem, but when a certain twist happens, you don't know the character's motivation. Craig Sheffer isn't bad as a convict in search of a fortune laying with a corpse in a graveyard. Soon he isn't the only one who wants in on it. The story is structured well, as a mystery character tells his tale to what looks like an inmate. Anthony Michael Hall gives another amusing attempt to break his brat pack image. He wears a RUSH shirt...that helped. I can't exactly say I was convinced seeing him smoke cigarettes and curse, but he is enjoyable enough to watch.