IMDb > Gone in the Night (1996) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Gone in the Night (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Real life may not always be stranger than fiction, but it comes close

Author: wdzorro from Omaha, NE
17 July 2005

This is based on a true story of the Dowalibys and the murder of their 7 year old daughter, Jaclyn, for which they stand accused. What happens to them, how the "system" tries to beat them down to submission and the lengths to which the prosecutors are willing to go to win, is the basis of the movie. Shannen Doherty delivers a gripping portrayal of Cindi Dowaliby, as first she fights the system, then she has to fight her husband. This may well be her best performance. I don't know how you pick the supporting cast in this story. There were no "small" parts (I watched the movie initially because a former newscaster from my home town was in it and may have had the only small part). Ed Asner, Dixie Carter, etc., would be classified as supporting cast, I guess, and they played their roles to perfection, Asner as the retired detective and Carter as the mother-in-law who finally comes to grips with her shortcomings and discovers that she has great affection for her daughter-in-law. The circumstances surrounding the investigation, the arrests, trial, and unexpected outcome all tie together so quickly that there are no "slow moments" where your mind can wonder without losing part of the plot or the puzzle pieces. But this isn't Hollywood, this is real and you feel you're watching a retrospective news report, except for the personal exchanges between the Cindi and David. When they can't agree on how to handle the initial verdict, your not sure David will listen and it might cost him dearly. If you don't know how the situation ended (as I didn't), you might think it had a much different ending. A truly riveting movie, I found myself wishing I knew what subsequently has become of the Dowalibys. I could definitely watch it again.

What a great film!

Author: sunshinegurl24 from Ohio
29 July 2002

This is one of the best made-for-TV movies I have ever seen...I would love to be able to buy it somehow. I stumbled upon it while I was home alone and I've been thinking about it ever since! The plot is very good, the acting terrific...at first I wondered how Shannen Doherty could play a mother but she was very talented...the film in a whole is just wonderful, it has just the right amount of drama, not too much. If you ever stumble upon it DEFINITIVELY watch it!!

I Loved The Movie!

Author: jennysaysha from United States
3 October 2006

David and Cindi Dowaliby are accused of murdering their own daughter in 1988. At first no one suspects they killed their little girl until newspapers hit the stands claiming the David killed his daughter while Cindi stayed home and cleaned the blood-stained sheets. That isn't the truth though! Soon Cindi is found innocent and David is left. He was sentenced to 45 years of jail for the murder of little Jaclyn. Soon people suspect that JacLyns brother Davey has been sexually and phsyically abused. The newspapers are using this to spice up their paper. One of the main suspects of the movie is Cindi's ex-husband's brother. In the end no one is ever charged with little JacLyns Murder!

Sad Film

Author: ashleybox64 from england
30 October 2004

** Spoiler Warning **

This movie is so sad to watch, the film is about a couple daughter is is abducted and then killed and they are blamed for it. soon they are put on trail for the murder of their daughter. the film is a top buy - if you can find it in the shops. it shows how the media influenced the case. the film is based on a true story. it's the kinda film you will never forget.

Shannen Doherty acting is stop on. it shows her at her best.

the film co stared - Kevin Dillon, Edward Asner, Michael Brandon and Dixie Carter

I LOVE THIS FILM!

Author: Beaver (Beaveristic) from Southport, England
7 January 2002

I think that this film is absolutely great! I think Shannen Doherty is a brilliant actress. I think she played the role of Cindy Dowaliby really well. I think that the film was shown very well and reported very well. It had a good sence of keeping to the real story.I think that these types of films get you into the film genre of real life and true stories. I hope that Shannen Doherty (who is one of my favourite actresses) recieves another good film like this.PLEASE MAKE OTHER FILMS LIKE THIS BECAUSE THEY REALLY GET TO THE HEART!

I love it... Shannen is cool

Author: charming_alyssa (charming_alyssa@charmedmail.com) from Sweden
1 February 2001

I just saw this movie... they divided it up. So the first half they showed last Tuesday and the last one today. I thought that I would watch it, I dídn't really know what it was. I just read that Shannen was in it, and I thought: Hey, Shannen's great so this movie outa be great too. And it really was great, but also very very sad. I mean I cried throught the whole movie. Cindy was a very strong person who didn't give up, she's a fighter. If you haven't seen it, I sugjest you go rent it, it's a very good movie... and I too would like to own it on tape

4 hours of an average young family facing an unspeakable ordeal

Author: Pro Jury
17 September 2000

What if a young husband and wife with two small children (and another child on the way) have their home broken into one night and have their daughter kidnapped and killed? And what if the police, detectives, doctors and district attorneys all act in an unskilled and/or unethical way and submit the husband, wife and even the surviving child to horror after horror? What if the very expensive lawyers the innocent family hire to save themselves are too inept and uncaring to help the family escape their nightmare?

Based upon a true story, GONE IN THE NIGHT is set in Chicago. The acting is fine, although the actor playing the husband seems to have a New York accent more than a Chicago accent.

Watching this TV movie back-to-back with another Chicago based movie, THE FUGITIVE, will take away all faith the viewer might have in the criminal justice system.

Without giving anything away, at the end of this movie drama turns to real life. The impact of this kind of ending is completely effective. Watch the whole story, and then hold on.

A very good effort for a made for TV film.

Lost children are more real to me...

Author: kevarenee from NJ
13 April 2001

I viewed this movie today for the first time. It really made me think about how blessed my family has been. It was well acted...and made me feel the real family's pain. It also made lost children more real to me. It was real to me yesterday....now it's even more real to me today. Praying for lost and abused children the more....

Lost children are more real to me...

Author: kevarenee from NJ
13 April 2001

Ermmm.. The best film EVER!!!

Author: janni_me from Odense, Denmark
15 July 2000

This film just fantastic.. I LOVE IT!! All that kinda drama, and the way the american police/whatever treats them, it's the truth - and a hard truth!! I love this film... Can't say it enough..!! And Shannen Doherty's my favourite actor, so.. That's a bonus!!! I'd love to own this film... :o)