IMDb > Ghatak: Lethal (1996) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Ghatak: Lethal More at IMDbPro »

Ghatak is a winner all the way

Author: sumanbarthakursmailbox from India
26 March 2009

Ghatak is one of my all time favorite movies and easily my best Sunny Deol movie .The dialogues of Ghaatak are excellent because they are very very realistic.One can watch this movie only to hear brilliant dialogues.The songs are very good especially Nigahon Ne cheraa hai and Koi Jaaye to le aaye by Alka Yagnik.This movie is a must watch for every person who want to understand what is the true meaning of one's right in life.Only Sunny Deol could do full justification to the role of a macho,manly,honest and tough person like Kaashi's character in this movie.Amrish Puri has also acted brilliantly in this movie.Ghaatak is definitely a must watch movie for any Bollywood fan.You will never repent after watching this movie completely if you believe in meaningful cinema.

Excellent performance by Sunny

Author: Anil Singh from India
5 February 2005

The best thing with the movie is that no action scene will seems indigestible or impossible to you. Sunny has performed all the scenes is the best possible way and I think it is impossible to improve perfection. This much awaited Sunny-Santoshi took 5 yrs to finally see the way to theaters but it hit the bullseye. The Dialogues were perfect and well written. The dialogues during Sunny-Danny encounter after cage fighting were superb: Danny- Kathia respects brave man/lion Sunny- Even a lion captured in a cage is a mere dog Danny- So what, if you will work for me you will get wealth, reward and above all people will fear you Sunny- The one who has hollow bones let others fear

The tongue lashing and abusing during the ritual of Sunnys brother between him and kathia and 6 brothers was superb. You can feel yourself as a part of movie; Sunny did his job with not even a 1% flaw. No exaggeration to say that he is the best action star in Bolloywood. The emotional sequence between Sunny-Ambrish after Kathia spoils them was fundu. Songs were melodic and seems part of the movie, so you will enjoy them.

A superb movie, excellent acting and directing, relentless action.

Author: GP Sohil from India
8 March 2001

This is one of the better action films to come out of Bollywood. After 'Ghayal' and 'Damini', the Santoshi-Sunny team has done it again. The idea for the movie came from a quote of Mahatma Gandhi in which he says that if he had to choose between cowardice and violence, he would have chosen violence.

Beginning with Om Puri's character getting killed by the henchmen of Katia(Danny Denzongpa) in Bombay, we go to Banaras, where Kashi(Sunny Deol) is a wrestler and dutiful son. His father(Amrish Puri) has a throat problem so they go to Bombay to treat it. Once in Bombay, the two face a culture shock. Kashi is amazed at the people's apathic attitude.

Due to circumstances, Kashi ignites the enmity of Katia and his six brothers.

The action in the movie is fast paced and relentless. You can feel the escalating tension on screen. Performances are superb, the direction is tight (although it took 5 years to complete this movie).

Sunny Deol has given one of the more powerful performances of his life in this movie. Amrish Puri has given a great performance, comedic for the first half-hour of the film. Danny is menacing, however his get-up could have been better(his hair is silly). Meenakshi gave a decent performance. The songs are good and are mercifully few in number.

All in all, it is a great action movie.

Awesome film by Shree Raj Kumar Santoshi.

Author: Vivekmaru45 from Kenya
3 June 2010

Sunny Deol has been my hero for a very long time, and I consider Ghatak to be the film in which he plays his most intense and endearing role.

Plot: Shambu Nath (played the late Amrish Puri) lives in Banaras. Shambu Nath has been coughing up blood for some time, so his adopted son Kashi Nath (Sunny Deol), wants him to go and visit his son Shiv Nath (K.K Raina) who has married and moved (without his father's consent) to the outskirts of a big city and has setup a small business of a bookstore there.

They arrive, and are welcomed by Shiv. Shiv arranges for a medical checkup at a hospital for Shambu.

One day it so happens that Kashi defends a helpless woman (played by Ila Arun) against some thugs. This sparks off a raging war between the leader of the thugs called Katya played by (Danny Denzongpa).

Will Shambu be cured? Will Kashi prevail against the tyranny of Katya? See the film to find out.

The film is directed by Shree Rajkumar Santoshi who has directed such blockbuster hits like Damini (1993), Ghayal (1990), Pukar (2000), Andaz Apna Apna(1994) and China Gate(1998).

Other notable stars in the film are Om Puri, Meenakshi Sheshadri, Tinnu Annand, Mukesh Rishi, Rohini Hattangadi, and Viju Khote.

Best Indian action movie to date

Author: Dave Abbott from Tucson, Az
20 April 2004

Of all the Indian action films I have seen recently, including Sholay, China Gate, and Bichoo, I would have to place Ghattak at the top. There may be others but I have yet to see them. The action and fight scenes are very well done and realistic which shows that considerable effort went into making them just right. Too often, we see ultra special effects try to make up for sloppy editing and slip-shod action. Nothing looked fakey in Ghattak which enhanced the overall effect and proved that Bollywood can make decent action flics after all. Ghattak was also not marred by feeble comedy attempts and the songs blended well with the action so that nothing slowed the pace of the film.

The best action movie of Sunny Deol

Author: singla007 from India
6 August 2011

After the grand success of Ghayal and Damini, This was another blockbuster entertainer from Raj Kumar Santoshi, Sunny Deol and Meenakshi. This is one of the best action movies and probably the best action movie of Sunny Deol. The movie begins with Om Puri raising his voice in favour of shopkeepers in his area against illegal occupancy of their land by Katia played by Danny. He gets killed by Katia. Sunny with his father travels to Bombay to his step brother for the treatment of his father. Sunny comes to know the problems of shopkeepers over there and stands with them in getting their land freed from Danny. Unable to get any help from police, he himself fights against Katia.

All the characters have done justice to their roles. Nobody can match charisma of Sunny Deol when it comes to action scenes. He is one of the best action actors ever in the history of Indian cinema. The fighting scenes of Sunny Deol are excellent in the movie. Only Sunny Deol can do justice to such kind of roles.Amrish Puri has played positive role, father of Sunny Deol, in this movie. The chemistry between Sunny and Amrish is the best. There are few emotional scenes between both. When doctor tells Sunny that his father is having cancer, Sunny comes to his father, pretends that his father will be alright and starts weeping in his father's arms. I believe this is the best emotional scene in the movie. Danny is always best when it comes to negative roles.

Meenakshi is as good as usual. Songs are also good though few. "Nigaho Ne Cheda Hai Dil Ka Tarana" is very sweet and melodious song. Item song "Koi Jaye To Le Jaaye" is also very good dance number. There could be room to accommodate one more song.This movie is the must watch for action movie buffs specially Sunny Deol fans.

Still the best !!!!

Author: canthinkofid from India
15 January 2010

Many slick action movies have been made since Ghatak , but this still beats them,man,grandpa was right,old really is gold . Usually I don't like old stuff,well not just me,most youngsters feel so(although,they don't confess in front of their parents),this was different,I simply loved it .

Yeah many action movies with better editing and effects have been made but with crap plot lines . This is not an action movie,it cannot be called just that,it is much more than that,it is a movie which tells us about love,about a father - son's relationship,it gives a wonderful message and it tells us what a good film really is .

OK,after that lecture stuff,you might be expecting me to tell something about the plot but sorry(pulling my ears),I won't,after all,I don't want to spoil the party for you . Still,I won't leave you with nothing,and I can assure you of one thing(actually,3) - This movie will make you smile/laugh,will make you sad/cry and will give a message to you at the same time . It entertains as well as educates .

As per the performances go,this is where the film scores the strongest . Sunny is brilliant as the innocent small-town boy and again brilliant as the man out to kill,the intensity in his acting is superb . I always felt that Sunny is good for only hard-hitting,action roles,but this movie proves his overall versatility as an actor . Amrish Puri excels in his shot-tempered yet caring father's role . Here's another actor who proves his versatility,he proves he's better than just a villain . The actress(oh no,forgot her name),is pretty and can ACT,and by that I mean really act well,as that is what many actresses of today lack . She is good in even intense,screaming scenes . Danny,I felt was always underrated,and wow what a performance he has given,he's exceptional . Other than them,Ilarun,Om Puri,Kashi's brother,etc,etc,all are superb,hell,even the side actors excel in their roles,one can watch the movie just for the acting .

Rajkumar Santoshi has done a very good job here and I'm willing to see Sunny - Santoshi's other two popular works . The action scenes in this movie should also be credited because keeping in view the action of that time,this doesn't seem all that fakey . Also the dialogues are good as well .

There's so much more to write about Ghatak but I don't think you'd like to read anymore(cheers if you've really read thus far,big achievement indeed).Also,this my first try at a review,so pardon me if I've written rubbish .

Anyways,go watch this movie .

Great Action Drama!

Author: Asbohra from United States
24 January 2007

Ghatak is one of Sunny Deol's best performances and best action movies ever! It is a true action drama to the core, and it is NOT just action. This film is also about a father and son relationship (baap-beta ka rishtaa). Amrish Puri is the father, and Sunny Deol is the son, who takes care of him and tries to get him treatment for cancer. This was a totally different side of Amrish Puri, apart from his normal villain act, but he did great in a positive role (a bit humorous early in the movie). In his last scene with Sunny Deol, he advises him on how to avenge the hurt. Sunny breaking down and crying when he finds out that there is no treatment is memorable and the scene before the revenge theme against the baddies after they spoil his father will truly touch your heart. Even Sunny's anger against the main baddie (Danny Denzongpa) after killing him stays in your mind for a long time. (The only things that I did NOT like in this movie was the manner in which Om Puri's character was killed at start.) The best action scene was the cage fight after intermission, and how Sunny tells off the baddies is brilliant!! See Sunny's anger after his brother's ritual against baddies. This is an action-packed revenge drama like Ghayal, but this is also a great action movie to watch. I am surprised that this movie did NOT get as much awarding as it should have. This one is a 10/10!

the best movie ever in hindi cinema

Author: karmjit35 from india
22 April 2003

this is the best movies of sunny deol. the story of the movie willl touch ur heart. a good reality action fights in the movie. a must movie to watch for sunny deol fan. hope u like this movie . enjoy this movie. i give this movie 4/4

Gives a lethal message

Author: G Singh from United States
19 March 2013

Rajkumar Santoshi's Ghatak makes its point loud and clear. However, it's not preachy and provides a proper plot with entertainment. Still, I feel this is one of his most underrated pictures. This was the third film with the hit trio of Rajkumar Santoshi, Sunny Deol and Amrish Puri. How one wishes they did more films together after that.

Shambu Nath is sick and needs treatment. His adopted son, Kashi takes him to mumbai to live with Shambu's real son and family. After a few days, Kashi notices something about the people in the city. He notices that they fear the gangster of that area by the name of Kathiya. One circumstances leads to another and Kashi has found himself in a war with Kathiya. However, the war is more than just a war against a gangster, Kashi is fighting against cowardice.

The best thing about the film is that it's not boring and keeps the viewer intrigued all through. Not to forget, the movie has a handful of hard-hitting scenes.

-The murder of Sachdev in the beginning. -Sunny's first scene with Danny -Danny torturing Sunny and Amrish -Sunny's revenge -Climax

However, the best scenes involve Sunny Deol and Amrish Puri together. The scene when Sunny breaks down in front of his dying father is heart-breaking.

Music is good.

Rajkumar Santoshi's direction is excellent and there's no doubt on how good of a director he is when he has the right script.

All the actors play their part perfectly. Tinnu Annand, Mukesh Rishi etc. All are great. Meenakshi is also first rate.

However, the 3 performances that make Ghatak special are of Sunny Deol, Amrish Puri and Danny. Sunny Deol is perfect for the role of the fearless man trying to live a decent life. He proves how underrated he is an actor. Amrish Puri is just brilliant! He's loud when required and controlled when he needs to be. A perfect act. Danny is a strong villain, and to go up against a strong hero such as Sunny, one needs a villain strong as Danny.

Overall, a great story about the underdog's fight against a very scared society. Recommended!