IMDb > Getting Away with Murder (1996) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Getting Away with Murder

Getting Away with Murder More at IMDbPro »

Underrated fun

Author: Giuseppe Joe Slomp (jslomp@tiscalinet.it) from Rome, Italy and Copenhagen, DK
24 August 1999

Maybe it's just because I like Dan Aykroyd: I have never seen a movie with him that I did not enjoy. I decided to put in a few lines of appreciation for this one, considering the bad reviews read here. It certainly is not the ultimate masterpiece of comedy but I found it thoroughly enjoyable, and despite the fact that I was very tired it kept watching it until 2am.

Often funny, with enthusiastic performances, but overall bland comedy

Author: mattymatt4ever from Jersey City, NJ
4 January 2002

I got quite a lot of chuckles out of this movie. But does that make it a really good flick? Not necessarily. It's better than most people say it is (well, the few people who've seen it). Hell, I figured "Jack Lemmon's in the cast. How bad can this movie be?" Dan Aykroyd's career definitely isn't as successful as it was in the seventies--his SNL days. I still think he's very talented, but like Chevy Chase he's starting to fall into that ditch with other has-been SNL alumni of the seventies. Lily Tomlin is another veteran comic, but let's face it--what was the last big movie she was in? I love Dan and Lily, but they're two people who wouldn't surprise me if they were to do a bad movie, despite their talents.

But actually, this isn't a bad movie at all. People may criticize the subject matter involving Nazi Genocide, but I'm flexible when it comes to comedy. I have a pretty dark sense of humor myself, and I don't mind dark humor at all and believe that almost anything can be made funny if handled in the right manner. "All in the Family" is one of the most successful sitcoms of all time, and the show constantly dealt with the subject of racism.

There are a good deal of funny moments, though worthy of chuckles and not laughs. But the movie just lacks a certain energy. I can't point out exactly what could've been done better, but the film just has a bland feeling to it. It needed more bite.

The acting is great, though. Aykroyd gives an enthusiastic performance. Lemmon performs the same way he would in any of his Oscar-winning films. And Tomlin is impressive as well, in a role that requires her to be somewhat dramatic and not the goofball she usually plays. So basically, what we have is a first-rate cast in a second-rate movie.

As I said, not a bad movie--just needed more bite.

My score: 6 (out of 10)

Interestingly ambiguous.

Author: gridoon
16 September 2001

This is a rather mild and forgettable comedy, but I think it deserves a **1/2 rating, if only because it dares to deal with some ambiguous subjects (like vigilantism) without become overly moralizing. The viewer is allowed to think (or not think, if he does not wish to) for himself. It's not a funny movie, I'll grant you that, and Jack Lemmon is thoroughly wasted, but it's an interesting one nonetheless.

I'm embarrassed.

Author: Ankhoryt from Washington, DC
13 June 2006

Penny Marshall produced this?

Harvey Miller, who wrote "Private Benjamin," wrote this?

Lemmon, Aykroyd, Hunt, and the incomparable LILY TOMLIN agreed to work on it?

Tasteless, unfunny, painful to watch.

Whatever moral point they were trying to make, and whatever humor they were trying to achieve, this film just... just hurt. Hurt my eyes, and hurt the reputations of all involved.

I'm embarrassed for all involved, and chagrined that I felt I had to watch to the end, to justify writing a review to warn others. Fifteen minutes would have been more than enough.

There's a good, twisted comedy in here somewhere...cast looks perplexed at how to find the right tone

Author: moonspinner55 from las vegas, nv
24 September 2016

Dan Ayrkoyd, looking boxy and well-scrubbed, plays a college professor in Massachusetts who is caught up in the media frenzy surrounding elderly German neighbor Jack Lemmon, who has been accused of being a notorious Nazi war criminal living under an assumed identity; when Lemmon tells Aykroyd he intends to leave the country in protest, Aykroyd plots to poison him as a form of historical justice. Writer-director Harvey Miller probably intended this dark-hued comedy to be a twisted hoot, in the "Eating Raoul" vein. He apparently gained the trust of his talented performers--and comedy vet Penny Marshall was swayed enough to co-produce--but something must have gotten lost in the translation from screenplay to film, because there are hardly any laughs in this scenario. The cast plays it poker-faced...perhaps they weren't sure just how over-the-top the presentation should be. Results are curiously lukewarm, and full of dumb jokes like one involving Lemmon's dog being attracted to Aykroyd's crotch--which Miller then repeats, as a TV director might. *1/2 from ****

Endless fun

Author: blindstalkerwxc from Belgium
4 January 2010

A true comedy if i've ever seen one is this picture. IT vill warm your hearth with warmth and joy. After seeing it 10 times it never gets bored, which is amazing to say the least.

Jack lemmon the bitter old sour lemmon that he is, was offcourse perfectly cast as the nazi-loving teacher.

The rest of the cast could easily been awarded with an award of some sorts. Maybe a golden trash can or something.

In case you were wondering : watching this crap will make your eyes bleed.

Have a nice day

It´s not soo bad

Author: janus from Argentina
4 December 1998

I found this movie not as bad as everybody says it is. I think its pretty entertaining. I really liked the plot of the film.

I don't see why it got such a bad rap.

Author: ClintJCL (clintjcl@gmail.com) from Washington, D.C.
8 January 2000

I'm only reviewing this because of all the bad reviews. I gave it a 7 though I may change it to a 6 later. I really don't see why people had such a major problem with this movie. It was fun. "You call this justice?!?!?!"

Basically, don't go into the movie expecting some crazy comedy with an intricate plot line. This movie is just a light-hearted movie to have a few laughs though; no masterpiece, but certainly not a 3.4 either. (That's what it was rated when I wrote this review.)

"You talk too much, think too much"

Author: bkoganbing from Buffalo, New York
10 November 2015

The line between comedy and drama is thin and sharp in Getting Away With Murder. This film could easily have been a serious drama about a crisis of conscience.

While watching poor Dan Aykroyd deal with his oh so overdeveloped sense of ethics I was reminded of The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. Do you remember in that film how at the political convention for statehood how James Stewart left and confessed how his conscience was in agony over the shooting of Liberty Valance. To which John Wayne properly replied, "you talk too much, think too much" and after that heart to heart talk Stewart goes back and starts his political career.

All I could think of was that Ethics professor Aykroyd needed a good conversation with the Duke. He's contacted by the FBI who tells him that the kindly old German neighbor just might be a fugitive Nazi war criminal.

Aykroyd realizes that American due process could leave Lemmon around for years so any man of conscience would just kill this guy. Which he resolves to do. Lemmon does die in this, but more I can't and won't say in this rather whacked out comedy which turns on Aykroyd's exquisite conscience. He so needed John Wayne to tell him he thought too much.

Lily Tomlin brings her own brand of zaniness into the film as Lemmon's daughter. Still Getting Away With Murder will never rank in the most noted of either Jack Lemmon or Dan Aykroyd comedies.

It was asking the audience to think too much.

Just doesn't work

Author: Wizard-8 from Victoria, BC
5 December 2010

Despite having a cast that included Dan Aykroyd, Jack Lemmon, Lily Tomlin, and Bonnie Hunt, Savoy Pictures barely released "Getting Away With Murder" to theaters. Watching it, I think I can see why. With the movie centering around someone accused of being a Nazi war criminal - and being a comedy - a more sure hand was needed to make this subject material palatable. As it is, the movie is too soft, when it needed to be more biting, like how the Mel Brooks movie "The Producers" was with its own Nazi material. But there are other problems than just with a wrong tone. Long stretches of the movie go by without any attempts at humor. There are several moments when scenes appear to be missing, though at the same time the movie also feels stretched out when its telling should have been tighter. I admit I kept watching to see how things would be wrapped up, but the movie cops out in this area as well, leading to a final moment that will have you saying, "That's IT?!?" out loud. If you do watch this movie, see if you can figure out why this was given an "R" rating - the movie really feels more like a PG-13 or even a PG movie.