IMDb > The Funeral (1996) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 3 of 5: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Average at Best

Author: Baz (salvador_2003) from London
24 February 2006

The Funeral is about gangsters Christopher Walken and Chris Penn burying their younger brother, on the evening of his wake (before his funeral) through flashbacks we see their brother and his involvement with crime and criminals. He is having an affair with Benicio Del Torro's wife and so Del Torro is placed in the frame for his murder, as the movie gradually ends, Chris Penn shoots his brothers and the people that work for him.

Apart from two good performances from Walken and Penn, this movie lacks character detail, plot and lacks contemporary quality of the 1930's. There is unconvincing atmosphere between the characters and it is just disappointing.

The highlight of the movie comes from Christopher Walken who whips out some good sayings and seeks his revenge.

I got this film on a three DVD box set with Road to Perdition and Miller's Crossing. I'd already seen Miller's Crossing. I don't think it can be classed in the way that Miller's Crossing can.

Its worth watching but I doubt anyone will watch it for a second time.

PEACE.

Well-Acted Low-Budget Art-House Gangster Picture

Author: ShootingShark from Dundee, Scotland
22 May 2005

In depression-era New York, when one of three gangster brothers is killed, his family gather at the wake to ponder their lives together and their revenge, with tragic consequences.

Despite its low budget, this manages to be quite an impressive period piece of mafia melodrama, but primarily it is designed as a showcase for the first-rate cast to explore their characters. All acquit themselves well, but all are familiar types from the genre - Walken and Penn as the bereaved brothers and Sciorra (who also co-produced) and Rossellini (who looks just as amazing without makeup) as the long-suffering Mob wives. The best roles are Del Toro's as a sharp-suited cognac-drinking player modelling himself on movie tough-guys and Kelly's scene as a zealous communist agitator. It's an impressive piece (though the photography is ludicrously dark), but the script is too thin and only Ferrara's trademark forays into religious philosophy and an extremely grim finale spark a little energy into the picture. Well made and well acted, but a movie must have a great script to begin with to be a great movie.

Angst by the bucketfull spoilers

Author: toonnnnn from Hartlepool England
15 November 2003

Well I caight up with this film on late night TV .Its a strange movie,set in the 1930s all the gangsters were smart clothes and have great looking women with them,but this film makes them a miserable bunch no one enjoys them selves.The overiding message of the film is the guilt people feel at a funeral of a ypunger family member.This younger family member a gangster believes in socialism ,this hard to swallow as gangsters are hardly socialists.Well acted with Walken and Penn playing the sort of people you would not ever want to meet,the ending is bizarre and shocking.I only hope the undertaker gave the family a special rate for providing him with so much work.5/10

Holy Cow, Chris Penn Can SING!

Author: Ankhoryt from Washington, DC
24 September 2002

I tuned in when the movie was more than half over. In a scene in a speakeasy, Chris Penn was singing -- singing so well that I sat through the rest of the movie without a clue as to what was going on, just to find out from the credits if that was his own voice or not (and in hopes he'd sing some more).

Yep, that was his own voice, all right. DANG, he's good. I'd buy a whole CD of him doing 30's hits or Squirrel-Nut-Zippers-type material without hesitation. He was THAT GOOD. I'd buy a concert ticket, and I hate going to concerts. I'd buy tickets for my friends. I don't know beans about him as an actor, nor anything else about this movie, but I am glad I had the chance to hear him sing and hope some director has the sense to exploit this gift of his at length soon.

Walken saves it!

Author: BasF from Amsterdam
25 February 2002

This film is no masterpiece at all! In fact it's a little boring for most of the time. It's something like a low-budget Godfather. But the last 15 minutes are O.K. And Christopher Walken saves the whole movie in one of the last scenes, when he has to decide whether or not kill his brother's murderer.

The best hops and barley don't mean much if the beer is flat.

Author: George Parker from Orange County, CA USA
23 August 2001

"The Funeral" tells of the aftermath of mourning and revenge which transpires following the murder of one of three brothers and mobsters. An excellent showcase for some good acting talent, "The Funeral" is woefully in need of a story. A pointless, plotless, slice-of-mob-life flick is just more of the same old "Godfather" mob stuff which goes down like so much flat beer.

An under rated movie well worth a look.

Author: avvd from Alexandria, Virginia
3 January 2001

I think this is a very good film with a lot of values. It's another gangster movie, but one with a story I've never seen before and really enjoyed. Walken and Penn are terrific, and Del Toro shows his screen potential. See it, but not with your mother. You will definitely stay awake.

A masterpiece

Author: rundbauchdodo from Zürich, Switzerland
4 September 2000

"The Funeral" is one of Abel Ferrara's best movies, not to say his best work besides the instant classic "King of New York". The cast is superb, and all the big names (Christopher Walken, Chris Penn, Isabella Rossellini etc.) give breathtaking performances that you'll never forget. The story is intense and absolutely plausible, one can imagine that it happened right as Ferrara tells it back in the 1930's. The climax will knock you right out of your seats and will leave you gasping for breath. an undeniable masterpiece: undoubtedly 10 out of 10.

Sometimes the most disappointing films are those with the most potential . . .

Author: PDS-11 from Lafayette, IN
28 August 2000

Sometimes the most disappointing films are those with the most potential. I really expected a lot of "The Funeral," especially given its cast and director, but unfortunately it failed to keep me interested for its full ninety minutes. The three male leads (Christopher Walken, Chris Penn, and Vincent Gallo) turn in rather solid performances, but once again, as in most gangster films, the women characters are relegated to the role of powerless, grieving widow.

"The Funeral" is not entirely an exercise in Italian gangster stereotypes, however. It begins promisingly enough, approaching several new topics (including the way socialism might have impacted a gangster with a heart for the working man), but meanders in its second act, causing its powerful conclusion to seem tacked-on and non-sequitur.

5 of 10.

not bad i guess

Author: anonymous from mt. laurel, NJ
15 June 1999

This is a weird movie if you ask me. Basically, a gangster(del Toro) *supposedly* killed Christopher Walken's communist brother for reasons i didn't really pay attention to. So Walken alongside with his friends decide to kill him. . The other subplot is that Chris Penn's character slowly goes insane for some reason. There isn't a lot of violence, which i expected alot more. But if there is violence, it usually was very disturbing and nerve rattling. The direction was very artistic, little different from the other Abel Ferarra film's i've seen (Bad LT., Body Snatchers). Acting wasn't too bad. The funeral has some stunning images too. But i guess the only thing about the film is the story. The story is a little bit imcomplete, and i feel that there could've been more to it. And it was a little slow at times. But overall, i liked it. But i was expecting al ot more.

Page 3 of 5: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]