IMDb > Forest Warrior (1996) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Forest Warrior More at IMDbPro »

Movie of the century

Author: Mau_ (matti.i.puranen@jyu.fi) from Finland
21 October 2005

Well, there are some things in this world that words aren't enough to describe. Forest Warrior is definitely one of these. Shiny acting combined with superb state-of-the-art special effects and especially incredible direction work by Aaron "The Vision" Norris. The story (and what a story indeed!!) tells of John McKenna (Chuck "the interpreter of feelings" Norris), a forest warrior, protector of the local woods who can transform into a bear (which is something everyone should see!). McKenna fights against the evil lumberjacks who YEARN to bring the forest down (you can actually hear one of them saying "i wish we could just cut down those trees"!). So the story is amazing and full of twists and tricks and it even includes a musical scene (insanely funny) where the lumberjacks dance and play 'air guitar' with their chainsaws.

In another words: don't miss this one!

A Glorious Summertime Film

Author: rmilanowski1987 from United States
25 March 2007

It is a rare occasion when the film industry launches a title of such immense proportions that the general public actually fears it. Such is the case with Forest Warrior. The average viewer obviously does not understand the numerous subplots that are only hinted at throughout the film. The work of a cinema master can be seen as Aaron Norris gracefully exposes the tips of many icebergs, leaving the viewer to wonder what is beneath. The acting of the entire ensemble is enough to leave you breathless. One character's "rag"tag antics will make anyone but the most cold-hearted smile. I cried as this masterpiece drew to its beautiful, but inevitable conclusion. This film is without a doubt, the one movie to see before you die.

Author: gemmaz from United States
27 May 2011

One word: Yes. A three in one experience: Home Alone, PBS's Nature, and Walker, Texas Ranger all in an hour and a half!

Special effects: The special effects were excellent, particularly the sparkling light balls. We also enjoyed the animal to human transformations. Seamless.

Law enforcement: The lawyers were accurately portrayed and incredibly competent considering the fees they were charging. The permit process was entirely plausible...I mean, who needs NEPA or EPA approval anyway?

Animals: The killer chipmunk? Slam dunk. A falcon transforming into a fist? Yes please!

Life lessons: The deep and riveting plot line of the alcoholic father and the lumber tycoon who finds his morality left us wanting more. Also Chuck was full of his usual cogent remarks on life's profundities.

Fight scenes: We were on the edge of our seats. It IS Chuck. The little kid who kicks the bad lumberjack in the face was the icing on the cake.

Political Correctness: comments like pull up your pantyhose (and be a man), and those environmentalist fairies were a couple gems.

Choreography: three words -- lumberjack dance scene.

Costume design: A great tour of some timeless 90s classics. Dad and Mom jeans a plenty!

Fave quotes: "There were six of them (bad guys) and then there were five..." (because Chuck was kicking their butts!) "How very sad." "Sad this!"

Chuck Norris as a spiritual being who faces off lumberjacks chopping trees down in his forest

Author: ma-cortes
14 August 2012

This is a children fantasy about a magical mountain , a mysterious legend and a story of courage against all odds ; including an ecological message , being realized by Norris brothers , Chuck and Aaron . It deals with children fight to save the local forests of Tanglewood Mountain helped by a spiritual being named John McKenna (Chuck Norris) who was possessed a century before (1875) by a mountain spirit and who is able to transform into bear, wolf or eagle . A greedy developer (Terry Kiser) , owner of 'Thorne Lumber' enterprise attempts to chop trees for his profit , as the little boys with the help of the ghostly man who was murdered in the same woods long time ago , along with the sheriff (Max Gail) and a drunk father (Michael Beck) struggle the nasty lumbermen .

The film is a blending between ¨Beastmaster¨ along with a group of children in ¨Goonies¨ style and antics , kick-asses , frolics against villains like ¨Home alone¨ . Mild and light adventure with ecology issue , it's full of fighting , humor , action and silly scenes and results to be an average flick . The picture packs action , explosions and several slight fights in Terence Hill/Bud Spencer style . Good support cast crammed by familiar faces as Roscoe Lee Browne , Max Gail , Loreta Swift , William Sanderson , Barbara Niven , George Buck Flower , John Dennis Johnson , among others . Colorful cinematography by Joao Fernades , usual of Chuck Norris films ; being filmed on location in Hood River, Lost Lake, Mount Hood, and Parkdale, Oregon, USA . Functional musical score and including some beautiful songs . The motion picture was regularly directed by Aaron Norris who has usually produced , playing stunts and directed various vehicles for his brother Chuck , such as ¨Missing in action 3¨, ¨Delta Force 2¨ , ¨Hitman¨ , ¨Hellbound¨, some episodes of ¨Walker Texas Ranger¨and three children films such as ¨Sidekicks¨ , ¨Top dog¨ and this ¨Forest warrior¨. The only film done by Aaron Norris to not have Chuck Norris in it was ¨Platoon leader¨. Rating : Average but entertaining . The picture will appeal to Chuck Norris fans .

An atrocious Chuck Norris ego-boost vehicle

Author: Tails-3 from Graham, Washington, USA
10 August 1999

I know that many of Chuck Norris' movies are filled with cliches and ripoffs of Dirty Harry and other such movies, but this one lays less off of Dirty Harry and instead goes for low immature humor and painfully bad scriptwriting. A pack of stupid kids protect the rainforest from a greedy troupe of redneck lumberjacks, with the help of the ghost of a part-Indian mountain man (played by none other than Chuck Norris) who happens to know karate. The film features a handful of Walker, Texas Ranger regulars, in addition to perhaps the most painful scriptwriting anyone has seen on this planet. But then again, what can we expect from Aaron Norris, who is Chuckie's little brother?? Also, did I forget to mention that the acting REALLY sucked!?

I wish I could say this was good, but...

Author: Jennifer Smith (vote_nader) from Louisiana, USA
12 July 2004

I am proud to be one of Chuck's biggest fans. I have an autographed poster on my wall, I have seen every movie he ever made, and I consider "Walker, Texas Ranger" one of the greatest shows of all time. I will defend Chuck 'till I die, but even I cannot stress how obscenely horrible this movie was. It is an embarrassment on a great career. I will defend Chuck for "Bells of Innocence", I will stand by him for "Delta Force", and I will even take up for "Breaker, Breaker", but this movie is just awful.

To begin, the acting isn't bad, considering there were very few veteran actors on the scene. Chuck Norris and William Sanderson were great, but the rest of the cast didn't seem fit for their roles. The fight scenes were good, but that comes with any Norris movie.

Now, the bad. The story is ridiculous, for a movie anyway. The ending was terrible. The story might make for a good book, but it is just horrible as it plays on screen.

This is the one movie that I can't stand behind Chuck on. If you are looking for a classic Chuck Norris action movie, as I was when I rented this, look somewhere else. You will most likely be disappointed with this one

Chuck pulls a Steven Seagal with a film about wilderness...

Author: callanvass from victoria b.c canada
5 January 2014

(Credit, IMDb) John McKenna is a spiritual being who is able to transform into bear, wolf or eagle. He lives in the forests of Tanglewood and has dedicated his life to protect them. One day a gang of evil lumberjacks led by Travis Thorne arrive Tanglewood to chop the forest down. McKenna cannot let this happen, and together with his new friends - Lords of the Tanglewood, a band of children who love to play in the forest - he battles against Thorne and his evil gang.

This movie makes On Deadly Ground look like an Oscar winner in comparison. Woe is me, was this bad. I've sat through my share of Chuck Norris stinkers, but this takes the cake. There is fight sequences, but none of them are all that exciting. We get plenty of mystical mumbo- jumbo, along with Chuck Norris embarrassing himself and ending his Hollywood career, though I think it was already on the tail end when this movie was done. I like Chuck, but he has made some awful films. This is one of them.

DUD

Blast from the past.

Author: Stefan Vaci from Serbia
24 June 2011

It's a shame that most of reviews here just don't get it. This is a movie for kids, who envy characters like Chuck. This is a great movie that you would want for your kid to watch and learn - it tells the story of how important nature is, and that we should stand for it, especially if someone like Chuck is its keeper. It might be a little naive from technical point of view, its a low budget, semi-amateur movie, but nevertheless, it looks great. One of those unforgettable titles from our childhoods, Sunday after breakfast, and your TV is on.. Different type of movie from Chuck, in his Chun-Kuk-Do code of honor and rules to live by.

This is a film that you can watch with your children.

Author: orchidlily77 from United Kingdom
9 September 2006

Chuck Norris always seems to get a rough ride for being a decent kind of guy who makes a film with a moral. Well the moral to this tale is that the typical rich business man is prepared to destroy a forest so he can make money. He forgot about the spirit of the forest and this is where Chuck comes in. The film is a mixture of fantasy, enchantment, ecology, and North American belief in that a human can turn into an animal. Also it gives a great sense of community, that seems to be dying out with in a world that is computer and cell phone bound. Chuck's acting in this film was fine. He knows he is neither Laurence Olivier or Al Pacino, he does what he does best. Michael Beck was great. He played the guy whose wife walked out on him and left him to raise their daughter who in fact was doing a good job or taking care of him, as he could not cope with his wife leaving. There is a very moving scene where he believes his daughter is dead. He did a great job. At the end of the day, this film has to be taken into context. There are some very comical moments in the film and some cute scenes with a baby bear.

Brilliant Movie

Author: Merv Jepson (mervjepson@picknowl.com.au) from Australia
31 October 2004

I have watched this movie at least 20 times. I enjoyed it every time I watched it. It is a pleasure to watch a movie without drugs, sex, violence to make it enjoyable. The plot is realistic with rich people trying to make big money at the expense of nature and trying to hoodwink the local citizens, (like some politicians in todays world) Some people believe in ghosts some don't, but in this movie the ghost bit fits in with the movie brilliantly. I would give this movie a rating of 9.9 It is a family movie and I wish there was more like it. The comments I read about this movie being "a Urinal" I could not believe. The person that wrote the comments on this movie must have been watching something else. I would put this movie amongst the "Disney Classics" It is a BRILLIANT MOVIE.