IMDb > Eye for an Eye (1996) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Eye for an Eye

Eye for an Eye More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

Revenge-movie with a sinister edge!

Author: cal_ripley999
6 July 2006

Karen is a normal woman living a normal upper class life with her husband and her two daughters until one day she calls home on her cell phone, and Julie (her 17 year old daughter) answers. Julie is preparing for her sister Megan's 6th birthday at the time of the call, and Karen is still talking to her when someone suddenly breaks into the house and attacks Julie. Trying to get another cell phone in order to call the police for help, Karen rushes home as fast as she can, and is devastated by what has happened. Julie was raped and murdered. After Julie's killer, Robert Doob,a supermarket deliveryman is unfairly released. Karen takes on a somewhat different perspective on life. She devotes her life to hunt down the man who killed her daughter and in order to find him, Karen has to descend into a world she never knew existed. EYE FOR AN EYE is a very dark film about obsession and revenge and the price everybody involved has to pay. It's not the kind of film that tries to deliver a vision of hope, but rather a sinister world of cynicism. The only escape for Karen (and everybody else) seems to be the kind of love Karen shows for her daughter Megan, her husband and her friends.

Sometimes you just have to do things yourself

Author: Kristine (kristinedrama14@msn.com) from Chicago, Illinois
29 November 2003

Karen is a mother who has just lost her daughter to a brutal rape by a man, Robert Doob. When the court lacks of evidence that he did it, he goes free. But Karen isn't done with him yet; she will do whatever she can in her power 'til there is justice for her daughter and another victim of his.

I loved "Eye for an Eye", it's a terrific movie that is very well acted. I know it kind of looks like a movie for Lifetime or U.S.A., but nevertheless it's a great movie that should really be given a chance. I cried during this movie, during the scene where Karen is on the phone with her daughter, Julie while she is being raped by Robert. All she can hear is her daughter's screams, cries for help, and her last scream. Nobody on the street will help this poor woman who is screaming for the police to get to her house. I just can't imagine that ever happening, when I saw this movie with my mom, she held me close and started crying as well. Nobody wants that feeling and Sally did a great job on showing the fear in her eyes and the total feeling of no hope or being helpless.

Yes, it's a little over done and dramatic, but it's very real and I felt that it captured what every person has felt they wanted: justice for victims. How do you live when a person you loved so much is murdered and the person that did it got off because they had bad parents? Or they had a bad incident or just feels insane for a few minutes? How crazy is it? I think that's what got me close to the film, though I have not had a close family member murdered, I think we can understand the pain and confusion these people go through in the movie. I loved Karen's line to Mack "Do you believe in the death penalty?", he says "For that guy, I do" referring to Robert and Karen looks at him and asks "Why? Because it's just or you want revenge?". Despite it being a trick question without a satisfying answer, I think we have all felt that way.

Keifer Sutherland, man! I love this guy, he is one my favorite actors, because he is a methodist and is not afraid of taking chances. He as Robert Doob, I didn't want to believe it was him because he is so brutally convincing as this vicious and evil character that will brutally rape women and young girls. That scene where he is with Karen's little daughter, Megan, in the playhouse, was so incredibly suspenseful and I couldn't breath. Keifer did do great, just too great that scarred me. Ed Harris did great as well as Mack, Karen's husband. He tries so hard to put the family back together after the shattering aftermath of Julie's death and wishes Karen would come back to herself with Megan.

"Eye for an Eye" is a great movie that should be given a chance. The rape scenes are very disturbing, I warn you. You might need a strong stomach, especially for the scene I described with Karen on the phone with her daughter. The ending is a little short and felt rushed, but I would always recommend this for a watch.

Make sure you have a Strong Stomach for this rape scene.

Author: dbkari from United States
1 October 2007

This movie has been reviewed into overkill by many others on this board, so I will spare you another home-viewer's two thumbs down. However I would like to state that I am EXTREMELY surprised that no one has commented about the actual rape scene itself. I can remember watching this as a kid on Lifetime, and years later still remembering that scene to a chilling degree. In most cases for rape scenes, (at least the ones aired on television) they only get from the waist up in the shot. In this particular scene, the camera is aimed straight ahead at the rapist in a sitting position on the floor with the young girl laying out in front of him. Although there is no nudity involved, the scene is VERY graphic in nature. I don't know how in the world they got that girl to play out the scene so well, but I could actually feel her pain, as depicted in her face and screaming from being ripped apart. It was enough make me sick my stomach then as a child, and now as an adult.

Telling it like it is...

Author: catknsn
14 September 2001

...seems to have enraged some viewers of this film. The bad guy is really bad. Guess what, they're like that in the real world too. There are plenty of bad guys out there who have no redeeming qualities and do laugh at the system, assuming it will never be able to really punish them. I found this movie very believable and thought the acting was terrific and the climax very satisfying. It was nice to see something come out of Hollywood that wasn't skewed in perspective by the left coast that produced it. Anybody who thinks Robert Doob as a character is too one-dimensional to be believable has never met a violent criminal in the flesh.

The 'Flying Nun' Goes 'Death Wish'

Author: ccthemovieman-1 from United States
13 December 2007

Before the hit television show "24," Keifer Sutherland played mostly despicable, evil characters. That's what he does in this film, as "Robert Doob," a low-life who rapes and kills Sally Field's daughter and then is unfairly released by the courts. Sally, playing "Karen McCann," goes after justice.

Almost everyone loves a revenge story and that, of course, is what this movie is, pure and simple: kind of a female "Death Wish."

As for the characters, Sutherland is "over the top" with his guy - way, way past despicable, so ridiculously bad and evil you might even laugh.

For those who picture Sally Field as "The Flying Nun," this movie will be a shock. She is anything but the sweet, wholesome-looking girl she appeared to be in so many of her films when she was younger.....or even the new TV commercials of today. Even though she has shown she can be very foul- mouthed ('m talking 'real life'), somehow seeing her portrayed here as a vigilante, doesn't ring up. Charles Bronson, yes; Sally Field, uh.....no.

Be warned: this is a tough movie in spots, especially in the beginning. It is very similar to the opening in "Death Wish," and is not for the squeamish.

This isn't a bad movie. It is extremely manipulative and has a bunch of plot holes, but if you love revenge films and don't care about particularly intelligent scripts (although the mad-as-hell mom isn't stupid in here), you can just add this one to your library. It serves its purpose of entertaining.

Sally reigns as the "Queen of Intense!" Excellent, gripping, moving

Author: sharonawit55 from United States
12 June 2005

If you like Sally Field, you'll love this movie because she does what Sally does best . . . intense drama! I think she should have won an Academy Award for her portrayal of Karen, the horrified, devastated, angry, Mom/wife whose beautiful teen-age daughter was brutally raped & murdered by a wacko delivering groceries! She was every bit as good as she was in "Norma Rae" and "Places in the Heart"! Some say the movie was not realistic . . obviously you've never been poor or lived in bad neighborhoods, because this kind of stuff happens everyday! The way the justice system works was very realistic also. Gee, let me throw out the name O.J. Simpson! . . I rest my case! Granted the movie was very graphic but so is violent crime in real life! It was very realistic! I cried and grieved (having lost a loved one to violent crime myself) and was angry and revengeful right along with her. I wanted to reach thru the screen and strangle Robert Doob (Kiefer Sutherland, who should of won a best supporting actor award) the cocky, cold, malicious killer, who had no respect for human life and thought he was above the law! I hated him! And I would have done exactly what Sally Fields did if that was my only recourse get justice done! He was clever but she outsmarted him at his own game and did it within the law! This movie was so moving, I was an emotional wreck at the end just like Sally was! I thought the whole cast did a very good job and that the movie was underrated because of it's content. Not everyone wants to watch something so intense. After a hard day at work, I prefer to sit down to something lighthearted like comedy but this one was just to good to pass up!

One That Might Please Most

Author: eric262003 from Canada
16 November 2009

In the past few years, director John Schlesinger has been living a quiet, serene life for himself. In the late 1960's, Schlesinger won an Oscar for Best Director in the classic "Midnight Cowboy" and has been nominated for many more during that period. Then his star status slowly began to plummet. With "Marathon Man" being his best in the 1970's and "Believers" has his best work in the 1980's, and in the 1990 season, he has been reduced to shifting into mediocrity with "Pacific Heights" (though Michael Keaton was was very sharp). It would be safe to say that around this time, Schlesinger's best days have long past him.

That is until 1996, when he released his forth film in the 1990's, the gripping, morbid and vengeful drama, "Eye for an Eye". Leading star Sally Field plays mother Karen McCann, a loving and devoted mother who while stuck in a hectic traffic jam receives the news via cell phone that her teenage daughter (Olivia Burnette)has been raped and murdered by some deranged lunatic. Robert Doob (Kiefer Sutherland) who was charged and arrested for this dastardly deed, is let go due a technical glitch. Karen, feels it is her own destiny to track down this evil man before he attempts to commit the same act to another unfortunate soul. Det. Denillo (Joe Mantegna) can't help her in her dilemma, which leads to Doob walking freely and on the hunt again and found another victim to rape and kill. Her motives keeps her apart from her husband Mack (Ed Harris) as her revenge becomes an obsession to the point where she decides to handle the situation, personally.

Though not on the same level as other parent losing child with death movies like "The Crossing Guard" and "Dead Man Walking", "Eye for An Eye" still has the vast array of emotions to guarantee a solid 1hr 41min of your time is well worth it. Overall the acting is very effective and all the stars bring out the best that they excel in. Kiefer Sutherland is excellent in all his villainy even if his performance is limited. Ed Harris and Joe Mantegna show wonderful performances in their brief roles, but Sally Field carries the film through as a woman obsessed with getting even with this psychopath on the loose.

Though it flows as a standard fare, Schlesinger makes sure that the pace is fast and the tensity at a heart-pulsing rate. I think a lot of people will appreciate this rare timeless classic that is highly recommended by the majority of film lovers.

An engaging drama

Author: Gordon-11 from Earth
20 October 2010

This film is about a mother who goes to seek justice for the brutal murder of her teenage daughter.

"Eye for an Eye" is an intense drama that tells a family's grief in losing a teenage girl in the family. They all react in different ways; the father seems casual and detached on the surface, but actually has intense anger inside. The younger daughter blames herself, while the mother becomes obsessed with getting justice. The plot is good, it is engaging and well told. However, I think the title gives the whole film away, so things will happen in a certain way in order for the film to be called "Eye for an Eye".

Say You'll Haunt Me

Author: Raul Faust from Joinville, Brazil
29 April 2014

You know, as a law school student just about to become a lawyer, I'm much aware of the problems that making justice by yourself can cause to a whole society. That being said, I imagined this movie would try to justify the unjustifiable, but it surprisingly goes in a different direction. The victim's mother becomes obsessive after her daughter gets murdered, but the film never wants to show that she could just murder the bad guy and get easily away with murder. That proves this movie isn't cheesy or formulaic, as I was expecting. The family portrayed in here is very believable and likable, thanks to a great performance made by the three of them-- with highlights to Sally Field, who had an unintentionally funny scene when she swears at the sheriff. Also, directing is professional, doing just like many suspenseful thrillers from the nineties have done. The plot is coherent and well developed, allowing the spectator to understand why the characters were doing what they did, leaving almost no space for doubts. Kiefer Sutherland surely had no hard time on portraying such character, given he did a lot of psychos in the past. All in all, "Eye for an Eye" proves to be a mature film that many of you might enjoy. Recommended.

Kiefer

Author: kai ringler from United States
8 July 2013

I thought Kiefer Sutherland did a wonderful job with the movie first off, his acting skills are hard to match by anyone,, how many actors today can bounce back and forth between movies and TV just like that.. Sally Field.. wow what happened to her since Coal Miner's Daughter. she did very good to in the role of the mother trying to get vengeance on her daughter being raped,, in the initial opening scene,, the teenage daughter is on the phone with mom,, and she get's raped and mom hear's the entire rape,start to finish, due to a technicality our rapist is set free, and free to rape and kill again. he starts stalking different prey this time, while our raging mother is trying to find our rapist and bring him to either justice or death.. these kind of movies have been overdone and watered down in the past 30 years. but this one seems to me to have a little more staying power.. I think that will be because of Kiefer's high profile,, 24,, and an amazing performance by Sally Field,, the Coal Miner's Daughter.

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]