IMDb > Evil Ed (1995) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Evil Ed

Evil Ed More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

The best awful film in the world

Author: cookiecoco13 from United Kingdom
2 June 2006

You know those films that are blatantly awful but you can't help but love them? Well that's what Evil Ed is, possibly the best awful film in the world. The sound is rubbish, the dubbing is crap, the screenplay is nonsense and the special effects are pap. However, I can't help but love this film dearly and I have recommended it to at least 50 people over the years. Sam Campbell (or the guy who plays him) should be featured on the Actor's Studio series as he is that memorable. Possibly the greatest movie villain not named Tony Montana. Seriously, if you don't expect a lot then you won't be disappointed. Keep a light-hearted approach to watching this film and you'll soon rate it a ten afterwards.

Intellectual? No. Funny? Yes!

Author: m0rg16 from Sweden
21 January 2003

I didn't really rent this movie expecting a intellectual, philosophical movie. I expected a funny, gory splatter film, and I got just what I asked for.

Edward works for some television studio and cuts out violent stuff from movies and such. That's his job. But when he gets to watch an entire film series of "Loose Limbs" and cut out blood and gore. But after awhile he can't handle it anymore and simply goes insane. He starts to see visions of monsters and persons from the films, and in his dreams a bandaged figure tells him to start killing off the "unpure". It just so happens that everyone seems to be unpure. After this Ed goes after several persons in his murderous rampage, including his wife, his daughter, a delivery guy, two thieves and a SWAT team.

The film can be pretty damn gory at times, yet hilarious beyond boundries. Like the doctor scene! Holy crap, that scene is so damn hilarious its just... Hilarious! Its sick too, by the way.

Edwards boss (Samuel Campbell is his name, a homage to Bruce Campbell and Sam Raimi) is also pretty funny with some funny lines. But Edward is the one with the real one-liners! THey are truly unforgivable!

Anyway, I cannot praise this hilarious movie enough. It gets 8 out of 10 from me!

Swedish splatter movie

Author: martymaster (martymaster@hotmail.com) from Fredrikstad, Norway
9 August 2001

This movie is like nothing before in the Swedish movie making business. This is the first and maybe the last swedish splatter movie and therefor a must have for splatter fans.

This movie is not as gory as Peter Jackson's Bad Taste and Braindead,but this one also got some gory scenes. This is a low budget movie and that explains why there isn't so much gore and spesial fx. The budget was actually only 250 000 swedish kroner. Even though the budget was low they have still managed to make a good splatter/horror movie.

The things that make it funny is that it parodies many famous horror movies like The evil dead,Gremlins and many more It starts of like a normal movie and it takes a while before it really gets entertaining. And at the end is the best gore scenes.

This is a good contribute to the splatter genre,and a milestone in the swedish movie history.

What a great splatter movie!

Author: zombiesnake17 from U.S.A.
19 June 2001

The box at my video store is why I rented this one. It looked cool from the guys face axed in half so of course I had to give it a try. I was pleasantly surprised when I actually watched it being an "Evil Dead" fan. The Swedish makers must of been fans as well as they included lots of references in this masterpiece. A criminal tries to break into the house Evil Ed was editing the movies that ultimately drive him insane in and says "groovy" as he looks at his weapon quite like Bruce Campbell does when he finishes his chainsaw hand in Evil Dead 2. There is also many posters of that movie scattered around the house and office in the movie. They don't just spoof Evil Dead, as there is a Gremlin style puppet monster that cusses at Ed in his refrigerator. My personal favorite is when he chases his wife around the house and says "I'm coming to get you Barbra" which in case you did'nt know is Barbra's brothers main line in "Night of the Living Dead". This movie pretty much has it all good plot, cool characters, funny stuff (Gremlin puppet),scary stuff (demon doctor), excellent effects (exploding head) and a fair amount of female nudity. I only gave it a 9 because its kind of slow before Ed goes insane but its well worth the wait. So if you liked "Evil Dead 2" or any of the other movies I mentioned above you gotta rent and watch it with a freind, and when your done try "Brain Dead" because I hear it is similiar to this masterpiece.

Shabby and poorly dubbed gore film.

Author: Death_gothica
15 November 2003

My rating: *1/2 stars out of ****.

(small spoilers)

A Popular editor, Ed, is given a promotion to the "Splatter" section of the editing lab he works in. Once he starts editing, he sees things. Lizard monsters, disembodied hands, horned demons.......soon he goes insane and begins hacking up anyone in his way. "evil ed" is a shabby horror movie. It's not horrible, but it's for very underdemanding genre fans eyes. The acting (Especially from De's wife and daughter) is horrible, and while the special effects are plentiful, there are some funny parts, and some neat-o photography, it suffers not only from it's acting but also it's silly premise (If editing 3 or 4 explotation films made Ed go insane, then whoever edits Fred Olen ray's films must be ten times worse!)and cheesy dialogue. Love the "Knee bones connected too...", though.

Never Seen A Movie Like That Before

Author: CMRKeyboadist from Sleesburg, VA.
15 January 2006

Evil Ed is a Swedish film about a man named Ed (of course)and his collapse into total madness after editing a series of B horror films known as "The Loose Limbs" series. Ed becomes so mad that he thinks he's seeing demons and monsters but in reality they are people he knows and people that are close to him, such as his wife and daughter.

I first saw this movie back in 1998 and was baffled by what I had seen. To this day, this movie I consider to be one of the darkest comedies out there. As the movie is almost slapstick funny with its gore scenes there are still a few creepy moments.

This is a cool flick but don't expect anything marvelous. It's simply just a fun movie that is good to show some of your friends for some laughs. 8/10 stars

WOW!!!!!!!

Author: ash3111 from Alabama
10 March 2001

When i rented this movie I expected it to be a horrible boring movie, but boy was i ever wrong. This was very entertaining. Parts of it freaked me out a little while others made me laugh like hell. If you ever get a chance watch this movie.

Ten Years Later, Still One of the Best Horror Films Out There

Author: gavin6942 from United States
15 May 2007

Ed (coincidentally an editor) is hired to cut horror films down to be favorable in Europe (where standards are much more rigorous). But he finds the films very mind-destroying and starts going a little bit mad. Okay, "a little bit" might be an understatement.

Let me just say this first of all: best. opening. scene. ever. A man in an office who blows up his head with a grenade. His boss then says -- with a straight face -- "you're fired". The entire film does not keep up this level of intensity, but it certainly tries.

Take the shotgun scenes, the decapitation, the clips from "Lost Limbs" (which my friend Jason wishes were a real film). The writer of this film thought up the idea of a woman who gets raped by a beaver and then immediately after gets shot in the face with a bazooka. That is something you won't find in any other movie (at least, I'm pretty doubtful you will).

This film's biggest flaw is the quality. The picture isn't as crisp as a 1997 film should be, and the sound could be touched up (though it's not bad). I thought I was watching a 1980s film. Although, that gave it a bit of a boost in my mind -- the film also had the 1980s style of writing and directing in it: a sense of fun and giving the audience a little something extra over the top. I do miss those days.

I wish I had more to say, though at the moment I cannot think of anything strong enough to praise this film. I do think you ought to see this. You've seen the box in your video store with the ax splitting the head... maybe you've passed it up a few times. Maybe you thought it would be cheesy. Pick it up. Savor it.

Another brick in the horror wall

Author: lucifer_1981 from India
18 March 2004

Man jus saw this movie and was it good? ooh yeah it was better.The story's quite simple we have this crazy movie guy who is told to edit European horror trash for dime a dozen, so our man Ed yeah that's' his name goes on editing these horror stuff until he becomes one such looney horror character and then the gorefest begins.Chessy dailogues,total blood mayhem,silly girls,lousy lookin monster yeah u got all the gore stuff right in there. So ye good men all I advice is to leave ur good brains behind for its time to be sic. Coming to the gore ratings i giveth 5 otta 5.And for all u guys out there looking for an intelligent movie this movie's surely aint for u.

It's a splatter fest, of Swedish decent.

Author: Horror Banana-nanza from United States
14 November 2012

Ever hear of the Splatter and Gore Department? I wish I could work there.

So this movie comes from Sweden. I really wish more like this came from there, because this movie had my sides splitting from laughter. There's in-jokes, ridiculous characters, gore, goofy dialogue, and some of the creepiest film reels you'll ever see.

Ed works as a film editor, but after a previous editor for the Splatter and Gore Department goes nuts and is killed while working, Sam Campbell (get it?) puts Ed in charge in his place. He puts Ed up in a nice secluded house, where the movies he edits begin to mess with Ed's head. He starts seeing body parts in place of food and monsters in the refrigerator. So he tries to tell Campbell that he doesn't want the job anymore.

The scene with Ed in Campbell's office is outrageous, due mostly to the sound effects that Campbell has running in the background all day long. My favorite line from this sound collage? "It's molestin' time!" Wow. What the hell movie was that? Not to mention the "Beaver Rape Scene" that Ed cut from the movie, which Campbell demands stays in, claiming it's not offensive. Well, I mean, I've never seen or heard of a beaver rape scene, so I don't know if it would be or not. But probably, yeah.

So Ed goes progressively crazier, killing people who deliver film to the house, or pretty much anyone who comes to the house. He even goes after his wife and kid, before finally tracking down Campbell, and well, Ed loses his head. In more ways than one.

This movie is completely nuts. It's tongue in cheek, it's funny as hell, and it needs to be seen by more people. So yeah, watch it, then spread the word. It deserves viewers.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]