IMDb > Eraser (1996) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 9 of 13: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Ah-nold "erases" the bad guys

Author: coverme6 from Allentown, PA
4 April 2000

Arnold Schwarzenegger does what he does best... yet again in

this fast-paced but heavily cliched action thriller. The big

Austrian plays Krueger, a slick officer for the Witness

Protection Program who has to protect a beautiful nuclear

programmer named Lee (Vanessa Williams) from treacherous agents,

terrorists, the usual bad guy for a flick like this! Ah-nold

wastes the enemy with his usual fashion (He blows them up), and

has time to strike up a nice bond with Williams, while James

Caan has a field day as Krueger's ex-mentor. "Eraser" is for all

fans who love a good adrenaline rush, but those with more subtle

tastes should

"Erase our past to protect our future." What a tagline!

Author: Bash from Lansing, Michigan, USA
6 March 2000

I know what this tagline means by erasing our past and protecting our future. This means that we want a great future life, we can't go back to the past, because what's done is already DONE. Some of our past lives may have been worst, so we want to make them better in the future. Or you can say whatever things were negative in the past, we can make them positive in the future. In the future, you will have many many chances of doing activities, hobbies, etc. for your lifetime. So whenever you start a new life, put the past away for good, and say hello to the great future of your lifetime. You'll have more fun than ever, even better, too.

I was only making a social issue about this movie and its tagline. This action-packed thriller was released at the time when I was in Pakistan during the Summer of 1996. So if your past was kind of boring, why not make it better in your future? Ha ha.

A bit overlong, but fun anyway

Author: Vice-5 from Allentown, PA
21 November 1999

Big Arnold Schwarzenegger blasts the bad guys and let's out one-liners... yet again in his big-budget flick "Eraser". This time around, Arnold plays Kruger, a tough-assed U.S. Marshal protecting beautiful government operative Lee (Vanessa Williams) from bad guys who're trying to waste them left to right. Sound familliar? It should.

"Eraser" is a great action-suspense thriller, but it can get a little tiresome, because the cliches come by the truckful in this movie!! It's way too predictable, as well. Anyway, Schwarzenegger still does a good job as the world's greatest action hero. His new movie "End of Days" looks even better than the former! I can't wait to see it.

Very slick action movie

Author: Jon Mills (diehard423@hotmail.com) from Evansville, Indiana
4 January 1999

I'm a huge fan of Arnold Schwarzenegger, and this Arnold flick didn't disappoint. The special effects were very cool, and James Caan, being the great actor that he is, is good as the villain. It should have made a bigger profit at the box office, but I still recommend it to anyone looking for a good action movie.

Possibly the last true entertaining Arnie picture.

Author: Spikeopath from United Kingdom
14 March 2009

John Kruger is an Eraser, he works for the witness relocation program as a U.S. Marshal, he will erase your past to protect your future. His latest assignment is to hide and relocate Lee Cullen, a high level executive with a U.S. weapons manufacturer. Cullen is to testify against the Cyrex Corporation for treason crimes appertaining to the corporations weapons manufacturing, but the level of badness extends far beyond a mere few corporate big wigs. John and Lee are in a fight for their lives, and Kruger will need every ounce of his expertise to see them safely thru the ordeal.

Eraser finds man mountain Arnold Schwarzenegger on particularly enjoyable beefcake nonsense form, so much so it is to me the last decent film that Arnold Schwarzenegger did. That of course is up for debate outside of my own personal opinion, and looking at the relatively low rating on IMDb, it would seem that I'm very much in the minority. Eraser has all the essential elements that make a hugely enjoyable Arnie movie, outrageous scenes {an aeroplane bail out sequence is a riot}, a dastardly villain {James Caan hamming for all he's worth}, weapons aplenty {a gun here is as good as it gets} and a pretty girl for Arnie to posture around {Vanessa Williams gorgeous and effective}. The plot naturally doesn't breath life into the genre that encompasses the crooked suit brigade, and yes we just know how it's going to end, but it's great fun in that great fun way that only Schwarzenegger and his Planet Hollywood pals can provide. 7/10

Cartoonist, enjoyable action-thriller.

Author: Lucien Lessard from Canada
5 August 2007

John Kruger (Arnold Schwarzenegger) is a U.S. Marshall, who works for the Witness Relocation Program. His next assignment is protecting the attractive Lee Cullen (Vanessa Williams). Which Lee works as a high level executive as a U.S. weapons manufacturer at the Cyrex Coporation. She uncovers that a deal was made to put a new super-weapon in the wrong hands with the high level of treason in the U.S. Gouverment. But John discover that several people, he works with... including his friend/mentor Robert Deguerin (James Caan) and the politicians from Washington D.C. are not what they seems to be. John finds himself double-crossed by Robert and his men. Now John has to clear his name with the help of Lee and a man (The late Robert Pastorelli), that John once saved.

Directed by Charles Russell (A Nightmare on Elm Street 3:Dream Warriors, The Blob "1988", The Mask) made an enjoyable, although outrageous fast movie with plenty of creative action sequences and an refreshing sense of humour. Schwarzenegger is in top form here with the occasional great comic one-liners. Caan is certainly an joy to watch as a villain here. Williams is effective as the unwilling victim along the wild ride. Pastorelli is the comic relief here and the late Oscar-Winner:James Coburn has a small role as the Chief Beller.

DVD has an sharp anamorphic Widescreen (2.35:1) transfer (also in Pan & Scan) and an strong:Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound. DVD's only features are the original theatrical trailer and production notes. This film wasn't quite success in theaters before it got released in theaters, this film went over-schedule and over-budget. Causing problems with the director, the producers and the script re-writes. There's even rumours that Schwarzenegger couldn't say the word "Ambulance"! This is certainly one of the most underrated movies from Schwarzenegger and also one of his best. This has great humour, funny dialogue, excellent visual effects by Industrial Light & Magic (ILM) and superb (although quite impossible) action scenes both in the air and ground. Don't miss it. Screenplay by Tony Puryear and Walton Green (RoboCop 2, The Brink's Job, The Wild Bunch). From a story by Puryear, Green and Michael S. Chernuchin. John Milius (Who directed "Conan The Barbarian") did uncredited re-writes as a favor for his buddy Schwarzengger. Panavision. (****/*****).

Cool

Author: rickyrickrickson from United States
22 April 2006

This is not the greatest film but it is definitely a film worth watching. How can you make a film and not understand its contents? I think sometimes it is really obvious, but most of the time you are having a ride like the ride of your life. It is a fast paced film which will definitely bring you a lot of joy. You will not sit still in your seat for two hours. But you will be sweating and wanting to get out, not because it's a bad film but because you wanna go "help" him! You wanna be in that movie and you wanna be part of the action and part of the solution to the film. That's how much it takes you in, I mean it is your flesh and blood once you started watching this film. It is as I said not the best, but definitely worth riding this thrill ride for a couple of hours.

Arnold's best next to the Terminators

Author: jtothedovez from United States
27 March 2006

This was a great action movie. Very cliché, but nevertheless has awesome action. And for the time had great special effects (I loved the alligator scene).

The story was very cool, the whole erasing thing was sweet. Acting was.. well, it wasn't that bad. But that's not the reason to watch this movie. The only thing I disliked was that the central conflict didn't really have much to do with "erasing". They should've implied the eraser theme into it more, instead of turning Arnie into a one-man army like he always is. But hey, who cares, it was very entertaining! Worth a rental, but I got it with Collateral Damage for $10!

Best Schwarzenegger movie

Author: sveknu
14 May 2005

I think that this is the best movie Arnold Schwarzenegger has ever made. I don't exactly know why, but I guess one of the reasons is the story. It's without doubt way above average. Action movies are often watched for the action scenes alone, but that's not the case for this movie. The story is about witness protection. Despite a great story, this is still a 100% action movie. There is A LOT of action in the movie, and the actions scenes are very good. The scenes with the airplane and with the crocodiles look a bit fake, but that doesn't matter. The last action scene down on the harbor is the best moment it the movie. Here, Arnold gets a chance to show his true potential. There are even some science fiction in the movie, with powerful weapons who doesn't exist in real life.

Praise for Arnold!!!

Author: ekwillow from Brewster
20 November 2000

I'm so sick of seeing magazines and critics putting this movie down. They said it had no plot and was senseless. I guess critics forgot what a Arnold movie is supposed to be like. And most of those movies were big hits. All I have to say is that there was nothing wrong with his movie. It had great action scenes, a lot of laughs, and good villains. This was another underrated one from Arnold, just like, Jingle All the Way. I don't know if the critics are idiots but the movie wasn't supposed to be an oscar contender. It was made for the audiences to have fun. And I think a lot of moviefans forgot to have fun watching movies anymore. So what if it had bad acting and a bad script. All action movies do and thats why a lot of them become hits. Something this movie should've been. To me, Arnold is still the man. Al least he is trying different things (Jingle All the Way, Junior, Twins, Kindergarten Cop, End of Days etc) Look at Jean-Claude Van Damme and Steven Seagal. All they did was making action movie after action movie and now we don't see them in any movies anymore. Arnold may be a terrible actor but at least he does different things in his career. Stallone should think about this too.

Page 9 of 13: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]