IMDb > Ed's Next Move (1996) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Ed's Next Move More at IMDbPro »

Delightful Low Budget Guy Meets Girl in NYC

Author: robertnash691 from United States
4 May 2009

I found this film very charming. Unlike many films shot in New York City this one more closely resembled the New York I knew when I lived there (back in the late 80s) going to school and while I worked there the following two years; small dwelling spaces, parties at friends places, the local diner down the street, and the folk music scene. While the script could have been sharper the film more than makes up for it with the subtle but sensual sexuality of Callie Thorne, the at times stunning photography of Peter Nelson, and the really quite amazing soundtrack. Anyone looking for a film with heart will not go wrong giving this little known gem a view.

A lovely little film about dating life as a nice guy

Author: Gregory R. Greco (grgreco@star.net)
5 January 2000

Ed's Next Move is a small, quiet film that perfectly understands the "nice guy's" dating dilemma. It is about a very nice guy from Wisconsin, who moves to New York to avoid his ex and to study the genetics of rice. What he finds is an intelligent, attractive woman who runs away from him as fast as possible. After going against his nature and making a fool of himself on several occasions, Ed secures a date. After the date, she tells him that she has a boyfriend (does this movie get it or what!) Ed's Next Move does a wonderful job showing us a realistic beginning of a new relationship, and that makes this story so enjoyable and satisfying. This movie understands the hoops any nice guy has to go through, and is a wonderful cathartic experience for anyone who has attempted to ask a girl out and retreated before even asking the question.

simple and rewarding

Author: Sandcat2004 from Seattle
6 January 2004

For those who have commented that everything in this movie has been done

before, so what? The performances by the leads are quite charming and

effective. The movie is simple with little added to the genre, but what it does employ is rewarding to the viewer. The idea of Ed's fish-out-of-water situation is not overdone or used as a crutch. Instead, there are only minimal exaggerated comic moments of stereotypical New York moments. This movie, which I had

never really heard of, is sweet and filled with endearing characters involved in everyday circumstances.

I knew Matthew Ross looked familiar, and upon glancing at his filmography I

was surprised at how many smarmy characters he has played (usually a little

over the top). He is very charismatic and has a nice naive quality. The lead actress, who looks like Annabelle Sciorra's (sp?) relative, is also very likable and has a nice chemistry with Ross. I was very surprised at how enjoyable this film was. There is not a whole lot to the film, but it is very emotionally rewarding and worth checking out.

I like this movie...

Author: Ed Nelson (souptown) from Minneapolis, MN
9 April 2002

I really liked this movie. So often characters in movies are bigger than life but this was a movie about real life characters. The difficulty for a young man moving to a big city. The awkwardness for a regular guy in finding that special someone, asking her out, and then the dating. It's hard not to like Ed. I also enjoyed the folksy music by "Ed's redeeming quality band". I especially enjoyed the song "more bad times". This movie was fun and I liked it.

What's not to like?

Author: George Parker from Orange County, CA USA
19 January 2003

"Ed's Next Move" is all about a nice but slightly nerdy genetic researcher, Ed (Ross), who moves from the MidWest to New York, meets a folk singing fiddle player, Lee (Thorne), and spends most of the film's run time trying to get together with her. "ENM" is a modest but likeable little romantic comedy sans titillators about the usual Manhattan "flat rats" with more practical dating single issues in lieu of romance. Even tempered but only slightly original, "ENM" makes for an easy going, pleasant watch for romcom junkies only. (C+)

You're not going to believe it

Author: mstone14 from United States
1 March 2005

I had an extra speaking role in this movie - the woman who was comforting the bubble art sculptor & no credits for having done so in the movie. Anyhow, 3 years after I did this movie (which I summarily forgot I did), during a business meal in a Benihana's in Indianapolis, a man approached me & yelled "I SAW YOU IN ED'S NEXT MOVE!". Stunned as were my clients (the title when the film was being shot was "bad day at..."), I shrugged & acted as if the man was insane. Then, when I returned to NYC, on another business trip (I was living in San Francisco then as an executive for a major corporation), during peak travel time & sardine-jammed train, a woman yelled, "Hey, weren't you in Ed's Next Move?" Needless to say, it was a terrifying journey to Wall Street that morning.

In summation, if I am going to continue to be approached by people who for some reason remember me for the same 3 sentences in this movie, it would have been lovely to have been given the credit for that.

Nice try Ed, but bad movie...

Author: fbone from Chicago, IL
25 August 1999

It was an attempt at a contemporary romantic comedy about a guy who moves to the big city ("the toughest move a guy can make"....huh?). After arriving there, he falls for a girl who sings in a folk act. Wackiness does not ensue. This movie certainly wasn't _bad_, but there was not one original thing about it. Jokes like, "guy doesn't want to wake up, so he throws beeping alarm clock out window to street" have been done a million times before on The Partridge Family and Three's Company. This movie is full of ideas that someone else already came up with. Ed certainly seems like a nice guy, and Matt Ross puts on a decent performance, but the movie is boring and unoriginal. If you want to see a really funny movie with a similar plot situation, see Swingers. But I wouldn't bother with Ed...

Nothing new

Author: neil_fraser from Brooklyn, NY
9 June 2003

Cute, but not very memorable. The problem is this is big budget idea, with a small budget production. That, and the dialog could used little more inspiration and work. I'm not saying it's bad, but there is nothing at all unique or quirky about a guy living in New York and finding it hard to meet women. done before. The beauty should be in the details and unfortunately every bit of nuance is quashed with bad new-yorker stereotypes, hammy gags, akward dialog, and boring editing.

Had the casting been a little more on the ball, the scenes where random characters offered their life wisdom to Ed could have been more convincing and meaningful. Matt Ross as the naive newcomer, has the charm and likeability to pull off a nice-guy, but dosen't seem challanged or lively at all in the role. However, I really did like the scene where her band was jamming in the apartment, very cool. Probably the most genuine moment in the whole film.

A good sitting-around-the-house-on-a-saturday-afternoon,-hey-what's-on-hbo kinda movie. Nothing I would go out of my way to recommend.

A really bad indie film with wimps and other unsympathetic characters.

Author: fedor8 from Serbia
8 January 2007

A minor, forgettable indie effort. Sort of a romantic comedy, but with two leads neither of whom have sufficient charisma. Plus, their characters aren't as likable as the writer/director believes, or as much as they ought to be; he (the lead) is wimpy, much too "soft", i.e. your standard 90s/indie lead male, while the girl is unsympathetic, and plays awfully lame plinka-plonka music which she considers to be "on the edge" and original. (On the edge of a nursing home, you damn idiots!) Musically speaking, there's barely anything worse than when young people gather to play unenergetic, mellow crap like a bunch of apathetic morons (much like in "MTV Unplugged").

The girl leaves the guy on their first date because a mouse is caught in a trap in the kitchen! "Oh, oh, oh, I'm so, so upset by the sight of that tiny little mouse struggling for survival... *sniff* *sob*"... " Oh, yes, and NY cops are all total a**holes. This movie was obviously made by a big-city liberal; the sort of spineless creature that crawls out of the sewer when there is no one around.

Leonard Maltin the Genius actually likes this crap!