IMDb > Drawing Flies (1996) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Drawing Flies

Drawing Flies More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

I Personally Thought that it was Good.

Author: tonymurphylee from USA
6 August 2007

*** out of **** I really enjoyed this neat little Canadian Gem. It was funny, interesting, realistic, creepy, and original. I've seen it four times now, and it is just as good as when i saw it the first.

A group of slackers have no money and are on the verge of actually getting a job when one of them, Donner(Jason Lee), wants to go to his uncle's cabin in the woods with them. What they don't realize is that Donner is going insane and really just wants to look for Sasquach. They're too stoned to realize this though and proceed with him into the woods.

The best thing about this film is definitely Jason Lee's performance. He gives so much depth and personality that could have otherwise been disposable. The rest of the characters are pretty much spot on. They are mostly likable, especially Renee Humphrey's character. The only one who doesn't quite work is Jason Mewes, although he is still funny as usual. In fact, the only real reason why his character doesn't work is because he practically plays the same person as he usually does. But he's good at it, so it doesn't really matter. Carmen Lee gives the film a nice dose of sanity while Martin Brooks does his thing.

I love the rough feel of the film and i like how deadpan it is. It is perfectly enjoyable. Maybe not life changing, but still pretty cool. Check it out, if you can find it!!! I showed it to my little sister and she loved it!!!

Great Independent film!

Author: Manda (Melvinator19@yahoo.com) from United States
27 April 2005

Pure, low budget, real independent films are some how rarely scene and never acknowledged, but when one does see one they are blown away, or at least I was. Drawing Flies is one of those films that shows you what film is all about...Just having fun. The movie may not be perfect and have all the right things done to it, but that is what helps make it great. The story line is hilarious, starting out very down to earth with a bunch of people living on welfare and then going into some insane story about a man searching for 'big foot'. Pure genius to me...And all the actors that did this film did it just right, they weren't perfect but it was just great to watch them. The films simple settings and atmosphere give it a look that is rarely seen in movies today. I am a huge fan of independent films and this one clearly defines my definition of 'real' independence. Overall, I recommend this film to anyone who wants a good laugh and to see what a low budget, independent film really looks like. Most people say to see it because Kevin Smith produced it and all that, but that isn't the only reason one should see it. Overall this movie deserves a 10 out of 10. Go see it.

From a Jason Lee Fan

Author: (phoskins) from Colorado
24 February 2004

As a disclaimer, I am a HUGE fan of Jason Lee but I have not liked everything he's done (A Guy Thing -- Wha?!?). "Drawing Flies" is a typical slacker film. Definitely has the Indie feel and look to it. The acting is not very good but gets better later in the film. However, Jason Lee is GREAT in this film. He's funny but not over the top. He even has some dramatic moments that show he can act. Not a great film but definitely a must see for Jason Lee fans! 7 out of 10.

Kevin Smith gives his friend a camera and a lot of average ness takes place

Author: mox123 from Earth
23 February 2004

Drawing Flies was made on a low budget. A REALLY low budget. So considering that, its a decent effort. However, it is suppose to be a comedy and you really wont laugh many times during its runtime, be it because of the soundtrack, which is quite hard to hear in some scenes, or the patchy script that wants to be a Kevin Smith movie but doesn't really cut it, or some of the actors poor delivery. It also doesn't help that the film occasionally tries to be funny in a surreal way but really lacks the kind of intelligence and wit to pull off some of the more obscure scenes.

There are only 2 real reasons to view this movie. One is if you're a view askew fan and want to see another movie featuring a lot of players from Smith's directorial projects are like when he's not behind the camera, as many of them are present here. The other is Jason Lee. Lee delivers in this movie, just like he always does. delivering his dialogue to perfection, even if I do feel that the way he chose to play his character wasn't quite the right decision because you sometimes find it hard to like him when it seems like you should. He is still the most enjoyable aspect here by far.

There's actually a scene towards the end of the film's pretty brief 70 odd minute life span where one character reads another's palm. We are told that the straighter a certain line on your hand is, the easier it is to achieve a great career. We can definitely assume then that Lee has a very wonky line on his palm, as it seems whenever he's in a good film he's usually underused or, like in Drawing Flies, he's stuck as the only truly great thing amidst a whole lot of average-ness.

JASON LEE SOLD OUT

Author: Mr. Pink from Klendathu
21 July 2003

In this movie he didn't, surprisingly he was the best of the group in this one. But the one we once called Brodie or even Banky could not save this one. It was not that the film was low budget just that it was not good. I was not expecting a Kevin Smith movie, just only one i could find entertaining, but was horribly let down. This movie has blemished the name of view askew. After seeing this movie i would like 76 minutes of my life back which i could spend frolicking in the street and still have a better time then having to watch this movie ever again. The only satisfaction in the whole movie was the end as it symbolized i would not have to watch a minute more of this scum and would be able to judge it for what it is. Oh how the mighty have fallen.

In defense of 'Drawing Flies'

Author: mewesfan628
22 March 2003

I would like to set a few things straight.

Those of you who said you were expecting a great Kevin Smith Comedy,but instead were disappointed: You got what you deserved. It wasn't a Kevin Smith Film, it was a View Askew film. Made by film makers who do not share the exact same flow or style, if you will, with Kevin Smith. I thought the movie was great. If you didn't view this movie with an open mind, or the only reason you saw it was to compare it to the rest of the View Askew films, too bad for you. The movie didn't let you down, you let yourself down. The movie delivered just what it advertised, a film, a film submitted for your entertainment. I understand that every movie isn't for everyone, but a movie can't entertain you if you don't give it a chance.

I can't believe Kevin supported this film

Author: (esobond007@yahoo.com) from New York
13 October 2002

When DRAWING FLIES came out on DVD, I hadn't seen it yet and figured since I am a huge Askewniverse fan, I would enjoy this film as much as the others. Damn, was I wrong. This film was very disappointing, even for what it was: a low-budget, black and white indie film with a decent cast, a bad script, and no point. So know I own a movie which I think sucked, but then again I can watch it for LEE, MEWES, and SMITH.

This Movie Rules

Author: Matt Ulibarri (tarrantino_fan) from Fairfax, Virginia
19 September 2002

This movie is funny as hell. Jason Lee is the man. This movie is funny, dramatic, and at times unusual. I really like it and wish it had gotten bigger. Kevin Smith and Scott Mosier both appear in the film. Jason Lee, Carmen Lee and Jason Mewes all give awesome performances as a bunch of burnouts.

Excellent!!!!!

Author: slimjim69 from Richardson, Texas
10 June 2002

I rented Drawing Flies because I have always been a View Askew fan. I LOVE IT!!!! The writing and the acting are excellent. There are a few things I don't like. The camera handling, it isn't always center and it keeps moving around, but it is a indie film. That it's black and white, It would of been better if it was in color, but again it is a indie film. Then, it is only a hour and 16 min. If it was longer it would better but maybe a little boring. And the name Drawing Flies isn't really a big thing of the movie. But all good movies has faults. I would recommend it for all View Askew fans.

4 1/2 out of 5 stars!

dissappointing

Author: Elijya from Philly
4 May 2002

I waited a long time to see this movie, and I was very dissappointed in it. Not at all what I'd expect from ViewAskew. I was never expecting it to be more irreverent, Kevin Smith-like rants. I knew it would be a serious movie. But, in the end, the points that it tries to get across are lost. A few notable perormances (Lee), and some slightly amusing bits. Not really even worth a rental.

Page 2 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]