IMDb > The Craft (1996) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Craft

The Craft More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 21: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

Deeper and more entertaining than it seems at first.

Author: anonymous
28 February 1999

I loved this movie, but then again I lived near West Hollywood where this type of thing is (ahem) normal. The performances were all good; of course I fell in love with Fairuza Balk like everyone else, but on repeated viewing Robin Tunney is also quite good. "The Craft" knows that high school is not a happy time, and although I was a young boy and not a young girl, from my experiences with the goth life, it is accurate. Interesting also how you had the popular cliche, who were bad, against the gothic clique, who were also bad. Even in the end, when Robin Tunney breaks with the other three, you get the sense she isn't pure as the driven snow. There are shades of gray in this movie worth seeing, and I like the way it portrayed the counterculture as it more or less is, and not in some fairy tale "happy outcasts" manner. On the whole, 8 out of 10, and worth watching.

Laugh, cry and shiver, this is entertainment

Author: ScottyB from Surrey (South London), England
13 December 1998

For an enjoyable night in, rent this movie about the strange foursome you find in every high school the world over. Takes a good look at how friendships are formed, and go wrong. Delves in to the danger of getting what you wish for and then wishing you hadn't. Moral of the story is to do as you would be done by, and keep looking over your shoulder to make sure your friends have the same philosophy.

Everyone Gets a little witchy at times!

Author: Angel-54 from ontario, canada
3 November 1998

The Craft is one of the best witchcraft movies I have ever seen. Robin Tunney plays a wonderful character with lots of emotion and colour. Fairuza Balk gives an outstanding performance as Nancy, that adds a eerie quality. Neve Campbell gives her role some feeling and heart and Rachel True, adds the comedy needed to fill the movie with thrills and chills.

The Craft gives a modern day spin on the practice of witchcraft and although is it not exactly Wicca, it is good enough to satisfy me as a viewer. Skeet Ulrich's performance is a far cry from his Scream character, but never the less he does a wonderful job. The special effects were seamless and overall I found myself, holding my breath waiting to see what would happen next, and a little laughter now and again makes the film worth watching.

I remember trying to levitate people when I had my grade 6 sleep overs, and that just made it more exciting for me. I found myself actually saying "that's why it never worked for me!" The film does have a little violence and language that may not suit younger viewers, but older girls, especially teens will love it's high school spin on magic. But remember this is only a movie, do not try this at home!! or if you do at least read up on it and know what you are doing.

In my opinion The Craft scores big! Not quite a 10, but a solid 8.5!! But you judge for yourself, and remember, it is only a movie.......or is it????

Welcome to the witching hour...

Author: Duch-ess from Australia
23 October 1998

The Craft is a fantastic movie for those who like comedy, action and sci-fi. When Sarah (Robin Tunney) has to up and move with her father and step-mother, she is befreinded by the Bitches of Eastwick; the schools outcasts. Nancy is a specialist in promiscuity, Bonnie is horribly scarred from an accident and Rochelle is segregated as she's black. The girls find solace in Wicca, the practise of witchcraft. With their newfound powers, the foursome set about making life hell for those who shunned them. However, when Nancy starts using her power for evil and self-indulgence, it's up to Sarah to stop her. This movie is magical, mystical and thrilling with a truckload of attitude.

The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly

Author: anonymous from NJ
8 October 1998

This was a film that had the chance to use the information on Wicca provided by a member of the Covenant of the Goddess (a national Wiccan organisation) to accurately portray Wiccan beliefs.

What we got was a film where the rituals were close enough to real, the philosophy was nearly there, but the substance ran away. Whilst we got the opportunity to see that "what goes around comes around", & that misusing magic inevitably leads to tears before bedtime, the opportunity to give dispel some of the myths (perhaps by giving the shopkeeper something relatively intelligent to say) was wasted.

However, there was a great deal of comedy, some smart & hip writing, & quite luscious performances. Good brain candy, & good fun, but if you're looking for information on The Craft, go elsewhere.

Entertaining

Author: anonymous from Missouri, USA
23 September 1998

This was an entertaining movie, but had several things about "The Craft" wrong. Factual data wasn't much in this movie but it was fun anyway. The only good example in the movie of a Wiccan was the shop owner, and she isn't completely Wicca (in my opinion) The other girls were Witches (not all witches are wiccan and not all wiccans are witches). The name of the movie could have pointed in eather direction, but when I think of the Craft i think of Wicca, but that could be personal bias.

It was GOOD!

Author: Andrew (sompwe9298@aol.com)
19 August 1998

Robin Tunney played a GOOD ROLE with alot of EMOTION, and Neve Campbell looks different, hides herself pretty good, BUT Fairuza Balk gave the movie the CREEPY EDGE that we LOOK FOR in movies

A typically shallow teen movie with added witches

Author: Leofwine_draca from United Kingdom
16 May 2016

This predictable teen horror was made literally just before the genre became hot again with the success of SCREAM. While refreshingly free of clichéd scenes of a masked killer murdering blondes, the film does have the typical teen characters, like the jocks, the obnoxious bimbos, and the typical "outsider" girls who in this case happen to practise witchcraft. My biggest complaint with this film is the trivialising of witchcraft; the witches simply use it to cast a few love spells and cure a scar or two. It's not very grand or partially enthralling, which is (in my mind) how a witchcraft film should be. It's also not in the least bit scary.

The film does try and at least there are a few interesting ideas to salvage it and make it a watchable, if forgettable, experience. The central idea about power and how it corrupts people is a good, solid one but here it is taken to laughable extremes - as initially friendly girl Fairuza Balk (who incidentally had an early experience with witchcraft, playing the Worst Witch in an '80s children's TV series) becomes a psychotic killer. Things come down to a battle between her and nice girl Robin Tunney (who also appeared in the much more entertaining END OF DAYS), here sporting a silly-looking blonde wig.

Most of the other characters are either shallow or one-dimensional, including the two supporting actresses, Neve Campbell and Rachel True. Neither are given much material to work with and they seem to change from being evil to good and back when the script calls for it. Although it is nice to see the annoying Campbell back before she became famous. The acting is good enough, I suppose, but most of the characters are irritating and unlikeable, apart from good-as-gold Tunney who just doesn't ring true anyway. There's a sad lack of adult actors in what is an entirely teen-centred film, at least with SCREAM we have the saving grace of Henry Winkler in a supporting role. Skeet Ulrich is good value as always but he's not enough to make this a worthwhile experience.

The special effects, including lots of creepy crawlies and some magic storms, etc. are fine enough but there's nothing outstanding that stays in the mind. The movie can hardly be called "horror" either seeing as the horror/gore content is extremely low, it's rather a teen movie which just happens to be about witches. THE CRAFT will probably appeal to teenagers but not a lot of other people - unless you like looking at pretty girls made up as goths and weirdos. Otherwise, it's an empty and shallow experience.

Horrible.....

Author: Irishmoviereviewer from Ireland
24 October 2015

I wanted to watch this film because Halloween is coming up so I was like, why not try watch it now and might as well get deep inside into the world of witchcraft. However this film wasn't exciting as I would hoped! It just didn't really give me what I wanted like the story slipped straight away when Sarah left the group and the other three girls became such physios into killing her. I mean woah woah woah, what in the world is freaking going on here? This isn't what should happen for god sake, what were they thinking of just messing up the story?

I honestly thought this was gonna be a good film but no, I was wrong! I'm so disappointed, this movie left me disappointed!

really enjoyed able

Author: atinder from United Kingdom
2 December 2013

The Craft (1996)

Finally got to seen this movie for the first time, I had not seen it before, I heard a lot good comment about it,

I found the whole movie really good, it might not be scary or creepy but

it's one of those fun horror movies for Friends and popcorn, there were very stranger dream scenes.

I liked the story of the movie and the pacing the was really good.

Some of the effects were decent and the acting was really good from the whole cast.

7 out of 10