IMDb > The Craft (1996) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 20:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Interesting and Entertaining Film

Author: RobertF87 from Scotland
8 January 2005

This is a very entertaining blend of supernatural thriller and teen movie. Sarah (played by Robin Tunney) is the new girl at a Catholic shool in Los Angeles where she meets a group of girls (Fairuza Balk, Neve Campbell and Rachel True) who dabble in witchcraft. When Sarah joins the group they discover that they have genuine power and start using it to sort out their personal problems, until the group's leader Nacy (Balk) starts taking it too far.

The film is well-made and several shades darker than the average teen movie. The cast are all very good, especially Fairuza Balk who easily steals the film with her part.

The film's portrayal of witchcraft is a bit more interesting than the standard Hollywood portrayal, and it certainly doesn't represent it as essentially "evil", which makes a nice change. However, as always, this is Hollywood so many liberties will have been taken with genuine wiccan practices.

The film is worth a look, however. The only thing that lets it down is the overblown climax.

solid but disjointed.

Author: cygnus x-1 from roanoke, va
6 January 2000

this movie could have easily been closer to an 8 or 9 with a little more attention to the script. the movie, while enjoyable and well made, has a weird disjointed structure that takes away from the all around excellent performances.

of particular note is the stunning performance by Fairuza Balk. she has to have the most hypnotyzing eyes of any actress i've ever seen. i really hope a femme fatalle role is in her future. in addition to having a unique look, she has the ability to get REALLY over the top in the evil category. neve campbell and robin tunney, with ms. tunney being exceptionally beautiful, each deliver solid performances as well.

the movie kicks into special effects overdrive at the end and it doesn't completely fit with the feel and tone with the rest of the movie.

overrall, though i enjoyed it and i recommend it to anyone looking for a above average witch flick.

rating:7

A good fantasy movie that capitalizes on the neopaganism boom.

Author: thefan-2 from Detroit
3 May 1999

One of the complaints brought against this movie by practicing wiccans is that it gives the false impression that wiccans engage in "bad" magic -- putting curses and spells on one's enemies. I would like to remind any peeved wiccans who might read this that the biggest lie this movie tells about them isn't that they cast spells, but that their spells actually work.

But that's the very lie we expect fantasy films to tell us. We demand it, in fact. This one, at least, does a very nice job of conveying the longing for power that motivates some to practice wicca and other forms of "magick." It's also fun and entertaining, and lovely to look at in places. The famous butterfly scene, in particular, will take your breath away. Over-all, this was a much better movie than it's been given credit for being.

Yummy!

Author: narnerbee from US of A
27 April 2004

Robin Tunney, Fairuza Balk, Neve Campbell, and Rachel True all star in this yummy film of the mid 90's involving four hot and spicy young women at St. Bernhards Catholic School. Robin Tunney is a major hottie in this one, as she enters the unknown when joining a coven at her new school. With a history of blackness behind her, the most important thing she wants, is to have friends, what else could anyone need? That is when the bitching starts! One false word and you pay the price with these gals. Robin Tunney sizzles as the naive natural witch, with a power beyond good and evil. Neve Campbell: does not get any better than that, all in black. Rachel True is well cast as the misplaced black girl, whom puts every one else in their place. We all know, however, that the best actress award in this flick goes to Fairuza Balk, as she fries the role, and the rest of the film with an over-the-top performance. Balk milks the film for all it is worth, when bringing down the tone to a very black, violent,and witchy nature. Flemming does a magical job transforming these four beauties into guardians of the circle. When first heard of, this would sound like an A-class "Carrie" rip-off, but then watch it and realize, it deals with more than powers. It deals with the rules of the wicca generation, and history of the witch. Carrie White was an all powerful demon who stands the test of a different time, these babes, are 100% witches, and ready to turn you upside down! Great job Flemming, you brought us an exciting film, enjoyable over and over again.

Not bad!

Author: NoName1989 from Belgium
16 August 2006

This movie was better than I expected. It's about a girl who moves and meets three girls at her new school, who seem to be practicing witchcraft... The movie certainly appealed to me, the acting was not bad, certainly Robin Tunney (who plays Veronica in "Prison Break") did a good job, but also Neve Campbell and Rachel True are acting alright. The only person of who I didn't like the acting, was Fairuza Balk. Her voice is (in this movie) not exactly the nicest voice to listen to. But she dóés have some good moments in this movie. Director Andrew Fleming, who's budget for The Craft wasn't so big, did a good job. The movie is -at least in the first half- a good combination between a thriller and a comedy, in the end, all the comedy disappears, the atmosphere darkens and we get a fairly exciting thriller. Some of the special effects are very good. The music was o.k., but (except for a few scenes) nothing more. If you have the chance to watch this, try it! The movie will certainly not appeal to everyone, the movie is more for teenagers and people in their early twenties, I think. Many older people won't appreciate this film so much. But everyone should give The Craft a try!

A Suspenseful and Creepy Movie

Author: MadBadMovieman from Surprise, AZ
25 November 1999

Not a really new story about Witch Craft among girl friends but enough twists and surprizes and effects to rise above most. Very well done by all Especially Robin and Fairuza. Very Good effects. Good vs. Evil conflict really kept you in the movie. Great to see in a theater or on a big screen.

If you want a good cat fight, watch it

Author: Kristine (kristinedrama14@msn.com) from Chicago, Illinois
15 November 2003

It's not a scary movie, it's like a weird version of "Clueless". It brings me back to when I was in grade school and wanted to be apart of high school. And I always wondered if this was like what my future would hold meeting new people. Witches?

The plot is kinda basic "Evil Dawson's Creek". :D Sarah is the new girl in town who is trying to fit in with very rude and snobby people at her new school. You can tell from the beginning that there is something very special about her. There are three girls, Nancy, who is the white trash scary goth girl, Bonnie who has severe burn marks all over her back, and Rachelle who is constantly picked on by a racist school girl, they notice Saraa and they happen to be witches who need a forth in their group, guess who that is? Sarah! She is also noticed by the high school jock jerk who uses girls and treats them like whores. She is first frightened by the girls, mostly Nancy, and leaves. She goes to see Chris, but when she refuses a private invite to his house, he spreads a nasty rumor around school about her night with him. She goes back to the girls and they discover how much more powerful they are with Sarah. They perform simple spells at first: flying, love spells, changing appearances. But things get more intense and serious: Bonnie's scars "magically" disappear and becomes gorgeous, but snobby. Rachelle's racist bully looses her hair, which seems cool, but is eventually very cruel and immature. Nancy has her step father "killed" in some way of a stroke, and inherits $175,000. She also goes as deep as to invoke the spirit of their beliefs of Manoe and becomes crazy. Sarah's love spell on Chris was to only get him to like her and apologize, but it turns on her very badly when he becomes too obsessed with her. Sarah knows that things are bad and decides not to participate her magics with the group and they turn on her, badly. To the point of threatening her life.

It's a strange movie, it's entertaining to watch and the acting is pretty decent. You really get into the movie. I'm not sure if you could call it scary. But like the critics said "It's Carrie meets Clueless". It's a fun teen movie. So if you liked those movies, you might like this.

I Love The Craft

Author: livingdeadgirl_13 from vancouver
18 December 2002

The Craft is one of my favorite movies of all time. I just love it so much, everytime I watch it I go into this fantasy world. It's about a girl named sarah(Robin Tunney) she moves into a new town due to some bad past experiences. In the beginning everything goes great, she becomes best friends with these three girls that are interested in the occult and practice witchcraft. They are known as outsiders in the school, and when sarah becomes friends with them, they form a circle. Sarah feels wonderful, finally she feels like she belongs. The three girls consist of nancy, the gothic wicked leader(fairuza balk), bonnie, the insecure one(neve campbell), and rochelle, the shy one(Rachel True). Suddenly Sarah realizes that their spells and wicked fun have to come to an end. She feels like everything is going out of control and that the gang, especially Nancy is going a little insane and is using her power in evil ways. When Sarah tries to leave the circle, nancy turns her back on her and tries to ruin her life in every way she can. This is seriously a great movie, and if you are looking for a wicked fun time, definately see the craft. All the actresses are great, especially Fairuza Balk, she is so hot and so damn gorgeous. I would give The Craft 10/10

A lot darker than your usual teen flick

Author: Brandy-at-the-foxhole from Singapore
11 November 2004

SPOILERS

I thought this was a pretty decent teen flick - if you remember that it is, at the end of the day, a teen flick. No one should be expecting massive doses of striking directorial depth or stunning method-acting here. When taken for what it is - ie. a teen jaunt about peer pressure, teen cruelty and the hidden power-trip behind most teens' quest for emancipation, this is a pretty decent film.

What surprised me was the fact that, given the opportunity to go ditzy, the script went dark - and that's always good when you're bucking convention. This ain't no "Clueless".

I think Fairuza is one scary, scary chick and seeing her all tied up in a mental asylum didn't quite put the fear out. Why doesn't she do more horror movies? I think she'd be one helluva a scream queen!

6.5 out of 10!

PS check out the somewhat toneless rendition of Peter Gabriel's "I have the Touch" in the movie. The original is way better!

One of the first witch movies I watched

Author: Lady Targaryen from Brazil
6 July 2006

In 1996, when this movie was released, it was very popular and I was 10 years old. I remember that ''The Craft'' was one of the very first movies about witchcraft I watched and liked a lot, and at that time I was all excited with Wicca and stuff like that.(But I know that this happened with a big number of people,specially girls) I only discovered this year that the actress who plays Nancy, Fairuza Balk , really is a witch: Maybe that's the reason why I think her looks and role are one of the best. It's funny to see Neve Campbell when she wasn't so famous as she is now. (By the way, it's my impression or she is inactive?) Sarah, played by Robin Tunney, is THE witch, the really powerful and good one, since her late mother was a powerful white witch, and unlike the other girls, she has the inherent gift of witchcraft herself.

Page 1 of 20:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]