IMDb > Celtic Pride (1996) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Celtic Pride More at IMDbPro »

Now This Is A Great Movie

Author: slimm
30 August 2002

This has to be in my top 10 favourite movies of all time it is great, The performance laid down by Damon wayans is one of Oscar nomination quality and although it wasn't a very recognised film that doesnt stop it from being an excellent film.

Boston Brilliance

Author: davorinlonac from Australia
7 April 2014

I go for the Milwalkie Bucks myself but I used to go for the Celtics... Welcome to my review on a very underrated movie. Celtic Pride was released in the fun year of 1996. It stars Daniel Stern, Dan Akroyd and Damon Wayons. Now, Daniel Stern is an extraordinarily funny actor and a great one in retrospective. Dan Akroyd is also an awesome actor who actually signed my DVD of this film when he was on a world tour. The film is very funny and the comedic acting is legendary. I think anyone who's seen this film probably disagrees with the 5.1. I rate this film a 7.2 for its memorable style and character which is hard to find in movies these days. I definitely recommend having this film in your collection as you can watch it over and over again. Click if this review was useful to you if you go for the Milwalkie Bucks. If not that, I go for the Green bay Packers in the N.F.L, San Jose Sharks in the N.H.L and mildly follow the A.F.L, my team there are the Fremantle Dockers... And so, be sure to check out my upcoming reviews for anticipated films like The Amazing Spiderman 2, Godzilla, X Men IV, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, The Hobbit part 3 and more!

Wonder how they'd feel about them Lakers

Author: Steve Pulaski from United States
13 August 2011

Celtic Pride is essentially a one note comedy film, yet the pairing of two likable comedy men, an original plot, and some heavy jokes make this film more than average. This is a different kind of sports comedy where the excitement isn't coming from the players, but two rabid fans of the Boston Celtics.

Dan Akroyd and Daniel Stern play Mike and Jimmy, two hardcore fans of the Boston Celtics. The Celts are in the finals with the Utah Jazz and their star player selfish, ballhog Lewis Scott (Wayans). After losing game six, it's on to game seven where either the Celts or the Jazz will become the champions. So Mike and Jimmy go to a nightclub after the game, and get drunk with Scott, before they wake up in Mike's basement with him tied up, and no recollection of the events that took place the night before.

Mike and Jimmy find out from their cop-buddy (Guilfoyle) that kidnapping is kidnapping no matter what time they let the victim go. So they think they should show something for it, and hold Lewis till after game seven so the Celts have a good shot of winning. Their plan goes awry when the cad starts playing mind-games with the two in order to disassemble their longtime friendship.

This is one of the comedies you have to search under the bed for. Even with Akroyd, Stern, and Wayans on the cover this film is usually lost in the dust compared to Akroyd's others like The Great Outdoors and Ghostbusters. This isn't better than those two works of comedic gold, but they do present the same feel-good aspect and have a warm, fuzzy, classic feeling to them.

The pairing of Dan Akroyd and Daniel Stern wasn't unlikely at the time, and they do a good job at being the two buddies. The funniest stuff is from Damon though as he continues to play games with Mike's head saying that "you're his bitch" and consistently taunts him. Thankfully, the movie isn't just made up of these games because if it was, I don't think we could call this a buddy comedy.

Now that it's 2011, I was surprised to see Judd Apatow's name all over this film as producer, story creator, and writer. The current generation knows Apatow for making heartfelt, with an essence of raunch and silly comedy-drama premises. In the nineties, he was more about the laughs than the drama. Celtic Pride can also serve as a time capsule of a different time in a film-maker's life.

Celtic Pride doesn't over-shoot or overstay its welcome. It runs for a comfortable ninety-one minutes, and it goes by quickly. A different side of sports comedies adding flavor and a good amount of heart, Celtic Pride has green and white blood pumping thru its veins.

Starring: Dan Akroyd, Daniel Stern, and Damon Wayans. Directed by: Tom DeCerhio.

funny,light,entertaining comedy

Author: jackpurvin from hollywood, california
12 May 2003

dan aykroyd great as crazed,fanatical celtic fan, teams up with his celtic fan partner daniel stern(of home alone fame). both are crazy,funny, and natural. damon wayans adds to the cast as utah jazz basketball player. street smart comedic wayans(from brooklyn) is just right for the part. deion sanders is great as himself.movie is very entertaining and was underrated. better than the critics said.

Amusing and a nice idea – somewhere inside Celtic Pride is a better film trying to get out

Author: bob the moo from United Kingdom
1 September 2003

It's game 6 of the NBA playoffs with the Celtics 3-2 up against the Utah Jazz and seemingly about to win the title on their home court in Boston. Lifelong fans Mike O'Hara and Jimmy Flaherty may have personal problems but these are put in perspective opposite the dream of catching the title. However Utah's best player, Lewis Scott, is carrying the team and responsible for most of their points. When he destroys the Celtics in game 6, things look bleak. Bumping into him in a bar later that night, Mike and Jimmy plan to get him so drunk he'll still he weak in several days time when game 7 is played. However when they wake up beside him the next morning they kidnap him and plan to hold him until after game 7 has passed. However things are harder than they imagined.

Being a basketball fan I'll give anything that involves the game a try, whether it is more serious films like Blue Chips and He Got Game or comedies like this or Eddie. This film had potential and, opening with a funny sequence where Mike fails to pass on his passion to his students, it looked like it was going to be good. The plot is filled out by poking fun at the excessive sports fans and also taking a more serious look from the point of view of the players themselves (as represented by Scott). However, where things fall down a little is in the delivery.

Marketed as a `wacky' comedy of sorts, the film wants to be that (hence the presence of Aykroyd and Stern) but this means that the more interesting side of the film is ignored and allowed to fall into disrepair (before finally collapsing in the final `7 months later' shot). As a comedy it is entertaining without ever being very funny – I didn't laugh out loud very often but I found it passable and light hearted. It never really gets any better than that sadly, but I felt that this lack of consistent laughs could have been covered if the darker side of the fan/player relationship had been brought out more.

Unfortunately this side slides for the whole of the film until nothing of interest is really left. There are imaginative touches that suggest a better film, but overall the lack of an effective dramatic streak to the film (no matter how secondary it would have been) is a problem. Without it the plot seems trivial and makes it harder to hold the audience's interest. This isn't helped by the fact that the film feels quite cheap and quickly put together. This is shown throughout the film but is clearest in it's portrayal of the basketball action. I wasn't expecting them to have the feel of a big stadium or have total realism, but the games are such a joke (in terms the play) that it made me realise how little effort was put into some aspects of the film.

The cast is OK but the names suggest that a more `zany' comedy was expected to be the outcome of this film. Aykroyd plays a lesser role but has some good dream sequences, Stern is left to lead the film and he appears to lack the confidence to do it well. Wayans is the real star here which is a worrying thing. His character is the strongest and also has the most to say as he is not just a comedy figure in the way the other two are. He leads well and is actually OK but his basketball scenes are poor. For He Got Game, Ray Allen coached Washington so he'd look the part, it appears no-one saw the need for that approach here.

Overall this is a wacky comedy with few laughs. Because it seems to favour the `zany' knockabout side of it's nature, it neglects the darker more interesting side and suffers as a result. This film never made it to the cinema in the UK and barely made an impact on video – there are reasons for this.

Entertaining effort, non-sports fans be cautious.

Author: mysticspiral00 (mysticspiral00@hotmail.com) from St. Charles
29 July 2004

Two die-hard Boston Celtic fans go out of their way to mess up the star player before game 7 of the Finals, and then accidently kidnap him. Not deep, but it doesn't have to be.

A movie that a good sports fan would find as humorous, but a movie fan would only find forgetable. Akroyd, Stern, and Wayans all turn in entertaining performances, but the true star of the movie is....

Christopher McDonald. He made me laugh my head off with the "Uhhhhhhh I hate my life" line. Akroyd doing the "Shakacon" thing was hillarious, as was his dream.

Overall, it was enjoyable, but proceed with caution.

***+(3.5)/*****(5).

trashed by critics,but i thought it was funny,and very entertaining

Author: steve layne
27 September 1999

i really like this movie. it's funny,and very entertaining. it was trashed by critics,but who cares it's good! i watch it very often,and never really get tired of it. some of the wisecracks wayans' makes at stern,and aykroyd are very funny. it's just a very fun movie! i give celtic pride *** out of ****

Lame sports comedy

Author: Boyo-2
26 January 2003

Review contains spoilers...

Two immature Celtics fans orchestrate an impromptu kidnapping of the star of the Utah Jazz in an effort to give the Celts the advantage in the deciding game of the NBA Finals.

When he escapes, he promises he will turn them in if the Jazz do not win. So these two moronic Celtic fans have to root for the Jazz in order to stay out of jail! When the Jazz win, they are happy..

Ugh!

But the audience is not. I am not a Celts fan, but if I were, I would be insulted by this movie. First of all, its called "Celtic Pride", which in an insult to the word 'pide', secondly, THEY LOSE THE NBA Championship, and third, over the final credits, we see Boston Garden be destroyed by wrecking balls! YAY!

To make it all that much worse, the kidnapped player happens to be an obnoxious, ball-hogging player, but through his adventures, He Learns Something about Friendship, Team and the Things that Matter the Most.

Spare me. Movie is a crock from start to finish. There is maybe a laugh or two to be had over the superstitions of a sports fan, over the over-exposure of an athlete, but they are few and far between. 3/10.

A really good movie & the 3 main stars are all funny.

Author: nadir_k04 from Sydney, Australia
4 August 2004

Damon Wayans, Dan Aykroyd & Daniel Stern work really well together in this mild comedy, i got this on DVD for like $9 Canadian when i was visiting there in 2001 & it's certainly money well spent. Two Boston Celtic nutty fans really want the Celtics to win so they kidnap the star player of opposition team the Lewis Scott of the Utah Jazz. Don't worry about the cheesy comments for this movie, trust me its a lot better than movies such as Bushwacked, Marci X & Coneheads, each one of this movies contain one of the 3 main stars of this movie. You can even watch this with the family, I don't recall any rude scenes or any fowl language. Slightly better than the average movie. Daniel Stern & Dan Aykroyd are really funny together. The overall mark for this movie i would give is an 8 / 10. Recommended to anyone who likes sport comedies such as Rookie of the year, The Sandlot Kids & The replacements.

Pure funny in this witty comic movie.

Author: salciuco@inwind.it from Naples
12 March 2003

Sometime we need to a movie where the only object is spend 90 minutes in totally unengagement and funny. This is the case of `Celtic Pride' a movie purely comic, where the laughter have a principal character in that. The story is that two friends Mike(Daniel Stern) and Jimmy(Dan Aykroyd) fans of the league Boston Celtic abduct a players of the against league for allow of them Boston the victory. All of that accompany a electric lyric `Play the Funky music' and a lot of laughter and hilarious also thanks to two great comedy actors : Stern and Aykroyd that succeeded to create a wonderful odd couple with a harmony truly surprising and funny, but two professional comic actors this is that who wait you, complete the cast a justly arrogant and disagreeable Damon Waynes in the character of the basketball players abducted. For all people that want laughter without thinks. My rate is 6.