IMDb > Brassed Off (1996) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 9 of 14: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

This is a beautiful film and well worth renting. 8 out of 10

Author: Rob-259 from Minneapolis, MN
3 August 2000

I'm not a fan of big band music but this film touched me and left me wanting more. I think Pete Postlethwaite is an actor I will watch for. I've seen him play the bad guy often enough but I really felt for him and the other actors. When they played Rodrigo's "Aranjuez" I was utterly chilled however I must admit that I'd never heard it before. I thank the director Mark Herman for that. I would recommend this film to anyone with a social conscience.

A role model in misguided marketing...

Author: unclepete from Liverpool, England
8 July 2000

Ostensibly an overtly political drama about coal miners, yet marketed as a Romantic Comedy. The reality of this film is neither of the aforementioned, but instead a moving story about the relationship between a man (Danny - Pete Postlethwaite) and his son (Phil - Stephen Tomkinson).

Danny is a band leader, who believes that his son is only interested in the politics of his job and situation. Phil is a miner, deep in debt, who believes that his father is blind to the realities of the forthcoming pit closure and is only interested in music.

Through their common bond, the rich and strident brass that punctuates the film, they realise that what is really important to them is each other.

Forget the Danny/Gloria sub plot and contextualise the final speech from political rhetoric to a personal realisation.

It's a great film - enjoy the ride.

well... the music was good

Author: anna-45 from new york
25 September 1999

i was kinda disappointed with this movie. reading the back summary i got the idea that this was more of a "love story type thing". ok, maybe i missed it, but i did not see much chemistry at all, except for the occasional goo- goo eyes. the music was good though, the band was really real and convincing. the ending wasn't as happy as it could have been, i mean nothing much is wrong with that, but the cover story i got was slightly misleading.

Pleasantly Surprised

Author: maren-5
22 July 1999

"Brassed Off" was obviously a low budget film but the acting was great!Pete Postlethwaite did a very convincing role as Danny in the film.He grabbed my heart right at the beginning.I've seen Ewan McGregor in other films and he's proving to be an amazing actor.And in this film he pulled me in with his charm and honesty.Actually the whole cast was wonderful.The music was grand too how it beautifully guided the scenes of the coalminers'torrid lives.I love what the director did with some of the scenes i.e right when the bus drops them off and they're standing about like the city of angels.The close-ups he used totally worked also because the characters really grip you with the frustations of what life handed to them.Bravo!Mark Herman this movie was a true delight!

A truly great movie

Author: John Kelman from Sydney, Australia
11 July 1999

Forget the love-story subtext, see this magnificent film for Pete Postlethwaite's moving performance, and wonderful brass-band music. A film with real depth and value, one of the best.

Sex, Drugs and Rock 'N' Roll

Author: Bianca Pollock from Newcastle, Australia
13 June 1999

I rented this movie one night when I had nothing else to watch and wish now that I had seen it at the movies. It is absolutely brilliant. It's a pleasure to see British movies that aren't tailored towards Hollywood, in my opinion it is the much better for it. The story is extremely well written, the characters also. In fact I find the characters in Brassed Off a lot more endearing than those in The Full Monty (to which it is often compared). The acting is also of a typical high standard when when sees who they are. Pete is fantastic in any movie (the saving grace of The Lost World) and Ewan McGregor is also always brilliant. It is obvious why he got the part of Obi-Wan...Tara Fitzgerald is too, quite good, redeeming herself after Sirens. UK - keep the good work up

Lovely

Author: Amy Frachiseur (frachiseur@hotmail.com) from Mtn. Home, ID, USA
30 May 1999

I had no idea what to expect from this film and came away pleasantly surprised. In some ways it is a film one would expect to be formulaic: the girl shows her prowess and gets to play with the boys; the scruffy young boy falls in love with the nice young girl and gets her to show all of her prowess; the normal man rises above every pitfall imaginable in life; all hopes are put upon winning and the underdog becomes victor. But in many other ways it is quite original for film. What some might refer to as contradictions in focus I see as evidence of fair and realistic movie-making. Yes, those in the film are decidedly anti-Tory and are the heroes of the piece (although they are so charasmatic that I cannot imagine fighting against them), but three-quarters of the workers voted for redundancy, even some of our major heroes. Working hard, earning their pay in the coal mines brought Danny near death.

Only in the world of film would an idea be conceived and brought to full term in a timely fashion without any valid issues to contradict. I found that realism refreshing-- a focus in on one side while letting the other play around it. I enjoyed the fact that it was strong on plot, but not full of it. It based itself around a few powerful points and let the characters unravel around them. Pete Postlethwaite, of course, did a fine job, and Stephen Tompkinson was wonderful as his son. Even someone with such a powerful screen presence as Ewan McGregor fit beautifully into this band, none stronger than the weakest among them, and no performance was weak. On a side note, as an American, I thoroughly enjoyed that foray into British accentuation and slang. I am used to the utter proper pronouncements I so often see on PBS, and this lent a great deal to the endearing nature of the characters, I thought.

Another Outstanding Piece Of Work....

Author: Jubilee-3 from New Jersey
13 May 1999

....from the greatest actor around today. I mean Ewan McGregor, of course. This film has everything, and I really mean that. After seeing VG, I now have a higher standard on which to judge movies, and I can honestly say that this particular piece of cinematic greatness meets and/or surpasses them.

Take a chance on this one.

Author: Hermit C-2 from Marietta, GA, USA
30 April 1999

After watching this excellent film I regretted the fact that so many moviegoers would pass this one by without a thought and go see whatever empty-headed blockbuster or kids movie happened to be hot at the moment. I was especially sorry because I thought most of those same people would enjoy 'Brassed Off' if they gave it a chance. Fortunately since then word-of-mouth and the success of a somewhat similar film, 'The Full Monty', have helped to give it more viewers.

'Brassed Off' has often been compared to 'The Full Monty' and despite any differences they certainly do share many similarities, especially to an American audience. They give looks at ordinary English lives and culture so seldom seen over here that they almost seem exotic. This movie is less obviously a comedy than 'TFM' but it has lots of wonderful humorous moments. They are needed to keep the political sentiments of the film from getting too strident. The anti-Thatcher tone of the film otherwise might get tiring, even to one sympathetic to those beliefs.

This was the first film I'd ever seen Pete Postlethwaite in and not surprisingly I came away impressed. I imagine the image many people will carry away from the film is Danny conducting the brass band, looking more serious than Leonard Bernstein in front of the Vienna Philharmonic. Tara Fitzgerald was excellent in her role, too. One of the interesting subtexts of the movie was the effect a pretty woman can have on a group of men.

I'd just like to encourage people to try something different every once in a while, and this film seems to me a good place to start. One thing, though. I have a hard time getting used to that English habit of dropping the article in their speech, as in "Get on bus," or "Take him to hospital." Where does that come from?

And the band played on

Author: lib-4 from florida
10 April 1999

Despite the politics this was an entertaining movie. The music was great and the story a little sentimental but good. Ewan McGregor is convincing and the wives of the two older band members really down to earth- most of all Peter Postlethwaite really puts across his love of music. A film for musicians and non musicians alike.

Page 9 of 14: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]