IMDb > Brassed Off (1996) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 8 of 13: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Classic Brit pic

Author: Andrew Marshall from United Kingdom
1 December 2003

This film works on so many different levels. As a social and political film it captures the impact on people that our ever evolving industrial development has. The story focuses on the closure of a mine that supports an entire community. The management skillfully divide the community by offering rewards for their compliance. There's also a difficult romance that blossoms between a miner (Andy) and a manager (Gloria). Danny is more interested in music than anything else, but by the end of the film he has a different perspective on life. On the face of it this is a very grim movie, but underneath it is warm and shows just how strong the human spirit can be. The outdoor competitions where they get blasted and play very badly was filmed just up the road from me and they're still going strong today. Pete Postlethwaite is a fine actor, Tara Fitzgerald is gorgeous and I've not even mentioned Ewan McGregor so this must be good.

good option when the new releases are dry

Author: geraldpatterson from pacific coast
20 May 2003

If you love indie projects with lots of interesting actors in underrated pictures catch this one. Ewan McGregor, Pete Postlewait and Tara Fitzgerald are quite wonderful and the beauteous sounds of the brass band are very pleasing. I particulary like the Rodrigo done in the first part of this flick with the lovely Tara at the the horn.

93 minutes of delightful viewing!

Author: Alan M. Ripin from Poughquag, NY
24 August 2002

A beautifully acted and extremely emotional experience with wonderful brass band music. A movie with an important message with "Comedy" as a distant 3rd to "Drama" and "Romance" as descriptive categories. A "must see" for all Anglophiles!

Brilliant movie

Author: Rene Hasekamp from the Netherlands
25 July 2002

In this movie the British show once more how good they are at making movies. The movie has aspects of a comedy as well as of a (social) drama and is highly entertaining, as well as moving. It is about a coal mine in Northern England that is about to be closed. The local miners have a brass band and they consider it logic that the band has to stop as soon as the mine closes, however wonderfully the band plays and however much fun they may have from playing in the band. All the characters are worked out well and the story is believable. It contains some romance as well, which is one more ingredient that makes it worth watching. Before the story gets a chance to become too "heavy", some comedy or romance enters. Everything is carefully balanced. And who can watch the final scenes without being moved? I guess nobody. A movie one has to see!

Music by the (real) brass band from the village where the movie was made. The music alone is worth to watch the movie.

The Trumpets Of Jericho

Author: Mikew3001 (mikew4001@yahoo.de) from Hamburg, Germany
14 May 2002

"Brassed Off" has always been on of my favorite British movies of the last few years. It shows the life and problems of some English coal mine workers who are about to lose their jobs and play in a brass band in their spare time. The film is mainly a realistic social drama, but also a very funny and touching love story - and one of the best brass music sound tracks ever recorded for a movie!!! If you leave the cinema or turn off your video or DVD player afterwards, you will whistle some of the catchy, romantic and sad brass tunes and folk songs the band plays through the whole movie. Even as a rock, jazz or dance music listener, you will probably feel that the ultimate love song can only be played by a brass band... Watch out for this unusual, funny and outstanding British movie featuring Ewan McGregor grooving to his horn melodies instead of the Trainspotting sound track.

Music hardly gets any better then this!

Author: rebecka (oro84@hotmail.com) from Sweden
18 October 2001

Brassed off is one of the greatest music-movies ever made if you don't count Dirty Dancing and Moulin Rouge. The plot is rather simple but the characters are rich and vivid and one can really feel their sorry and understand their problems. And then the music... it's so beautiful that you could watch the movie only to listen to it. The real musicians are amazing. All the actors in the movie are so cool and great. Especially Ewan McGregor.

Brassed Off

Author: lucybastick from Hobart, Tasmania
9 October 2001

Brassed Off is a film that combines humour, family relationships and town events into an entertaining mix which leaves the viewer very satisfied. We are empathatic towards the characters of the small mining town and hope for their prosperity. It also combines music to add layers to the complexity and depth to the film. Brassed Off's director has managed to put together a film which lets the viewer totally relate to the characters and the stories they tell. With a fine main and ensemble cast Brassed Off boasts some very fine acting performances. This film is suitable to all people over 15 and would be suitable for those under 15 if the language was edited. I recommend this film to all those who are lovers of music and a good laugh.

Movie Review on the romantic/comedy, 'Brassed Off'

Author: morris_munchles from hobart, tasmania
30 August 2001

'Brassed Off', directed by Mark Herman, is an entertaining story about a colliery band from northern England fighting to save there coal mine. Starring Peter Postlethwaite, as Danny, Ewan McGregor, as Andy, and Tara Fitzgerald as Gloria, this drama/romance/comedy really opens your eyes to the effect the Margaret Thatcher government had on mining communities.

The plot follows a small band as they battle to save their mine from closer and to continue playing. Danny, the conductor of the band, is very passionate about his music and he strives to win the national championship. From the beginning of the film it is clear that the miners are without hope and disheartened by the possible loss of their jobs. Their families are just as effected as they battle to put food on the table. The storyline, although weak at times, is generally entertaining and strong performances from all actors/actresses, especially Postlethwaite and McGregor, captivate the depth of such an emotional time. Probably th most distinst feature of the movie is it's soundtrack. Brilliant music including 'The William Tell Overture' and 'Danny Boy' add to the film and link together different scenes affectively.

In my opinion this film was quite good and I thouroughly enjoyed watching it despite some scenes being badly crafted and unnecessary.

They Are Planning to Close the Mine

Author: Tom Murray (tamurray@acn.net) from Belleville, Ontario, Canada
2 November 2000

A North England coal mine in Grimley is being considered for closure, as Britain converts to nuclear power in the 1980s. Grimley is a mining town, so the potential disruption is enormous. The film focuses on the members of the Grimley Colliery Brass Band, an excellent band, with little chance of survival if the mine closes. Brass bands are an important part of British life and the band and their families are a good sample of the townspeople. The band leader, Danny (Peter Postlethwaite) lives for the band and its trips to competitions but some members, thinking of future hardships, are planning to drop out.

The sudden appearance of a new band member, Gloria (Tara Fitzgerald, a beautiful actress with a fascinating mouth) fascinates the all-male band and all thoughts of quitting vanish. The band goes into competition seriously, which leads to the country's finals. The point of the film is the hardships that unemployment can have on individuals and communities. That point is made implicitly, throughout the film and very explicitly in a surprise ending that could have been inspired by Frank Capra (It's a Wonderful Life). The film makes one feel good and the brass band music is played exquisitely.

This is a beautiful film and well worth renting. 8 out of 10

Author: Rob-259 from Minneapolis, MN
3 August 2000

I'm not a fan of big band music but this film touched me and left me wanting more. I think Pete Postlethwaite is an actor I will watch for. I've seen him play the bad guy often enough but I really felt for him and the other actors. When they played Rodrigo's "Aranjuez" I was utterly chilled however I must admit that I'd never heard it before. I thank the director Mark Herman for that. I would recommend this film to anyone with a social conscience.

Page 8 of 13: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]