IMDb > Bed of Roses (1996) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Bed of Roses

Bed of Roses More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

A film that surprises and grows on you.

Author: Neil Ferris (n.ferris@uea.ac.uk) from Norwich, England
18 February 1999

This is one of those films, like Only You (Marisa Tomei and Robert Downey Jnr.), that you catch by accident and are then surprised that it wasn't a bigger hit.

This film certainly had all the right ingredients, good Hollywood stars and good actors into the bargain, an everyday setting, and a completely believable storyline.

Its lack of success is probably down to the fact that both Christian Slater and Mary Stuart Masterson were both better known for playing much more serious or action roles and this was quite a departure for them.

Where the film really falls down is the script, which any English student could probably have written without difficulty, but it is a credit to the two stars that such an endearing and enjoyable movie is rescued from it.

The script simply attempts too much, with both characters having troubled pasts when it comes to relationships and so it then comes as slightly unbelievable that Slater's character suddenly finds the courage to take the lead as he does.

Both the actors, though, give wonderful performances which really make you feel for their situation and involve you with their lives. This, mixed with some great comic moments from Pamela Segall make for a very enjoyable romantic comedy which doesn't lose its appeal with time.

A must see for all commitment phobics!

Warm and Wonderful

Author: gospelpicker from United States
23 October 2006

Bed of Roses is easily one of the best romance movies ever. Even if the movie wasn't as good as it is, the soundtrack alone would make it worth watching. But, the movie itself is wonderful and full of warmth. Bed of Roses has the kind of story you would like to live out for yourself. True, people don't usually meet and fall in love the way Lewis and Lisa do in this movie, but isn't that the purpose of movies and music? The story and characters are as unique as they are addictive. When the movie ended, I found myself wanting more. This is one movie that will stick with you. I dare you to watch it only once.

If you enjoyed Bed of Roses, you might also like At First Sight with Val Kilmer and Mira Sorvino.

A big bouquet of happiness will be delivered to any viewer who chooses to watch this fine film

Author: Amy Adler from Toledo, Ohio
13 February 2007

Lisa (Mary Stuart Masterson) is a rising businesswoman who rarely devotes herself to anything but work and more work. This is, in part, because of events that occurred during her childhood. She has a drop-in boyfriend who doesn't really spend any quality time with her but, Lisa is certain she likes it that way. That is, until the day a gorgeous bouquet of flowers is delivered to her at the office, without a card. Lisa calls friends and work colleagues to try to determine who sent her this gift. No luck. As a last resort, she goes to the florist and begs for information about the giver. She is stunned to learn that the delivery man, Lewis (Christian Slater) is her unknown fan. Lewis tells her about his interest in her and Lisa is cautious, of course. But, over the next few weeks, Lisa and Lewis become closer. Yet, something is wrong. What could it be? This is a quietly beautiful love story. Masterson is pretty and touching as the woman who doesn't know much about love and Slater is wonderful as the florist who learns to open up his heart again, too. The rest of the cast is nice and the script, costumes, sets and production values are very good. If you are drawn to stories of romance, this one should land on your must-see list. It is a bouquet of humor, heartache, and happy endings that will have you floating on air, smiling like crazy.

Romantically Sweet

Author: Tiffany Yelder (tyelder@ccdbbs.com) from Anderson, SC
9 October 1999

At the time that this movie was in theaters, I didn't really want to see it, so I didn't. I later rented it on one of those nights where I needed a feel good romance.

Bed of Roses was that and a lot more. Christian Slater was amazing as a very rare male romantic, and Mary Stuart Masterson was also endearing as his love interest.

The only downfall was the trite script, but that was more than made up for by the wonderful acting, and the beautiful idea of the story.

It makes you really think about what love is really all about.

For a wonderful romantic movie that gives you a reason to go out and look for that special someone, see Bed of Roses.

Great acting, mediocre movie

Author: George Carr (georgecarr@gmail.com) from Cleveland, Ohio
7 May 1999

I enjoyed this film, but only for two specific things: the acting of Masterson and Slater. Masterson is startlingly good, and Slater shows a deeper range than I previously thought. The rest of the film, though, is shallow and never fully realized. Plot elements are thin and almost unbelievable, several of the supporting actors are terrible, the music is trite and unoriginal, the cinematography is downright boring, and the dialogue falls into inanity and predictability too often. If not for the heroic performances of the lead couple, this film would be entirely forgettable. Masterson, though, is truly gifted, and digs deep to find the center of her character, and Slater reaches a bit himself for a romantic side I've never seen. I give it a 6, for the acting alone.

don't miss it

Author: (scorpioscorpion@hotmail.com) from Australia
21 May 2004

Here we go, a rating from a guy....who really hates chick flicks...but sorry guys ... this movie is tops. Mary Stuart Masterson is fabulous and the perfect cast for the role. Admittedly i've had a crush on her for years but this film is meant to give that glimmer of hope to those who think they'll never find someone. Its a romance story and being an action fan find myself in somewhat uncharted waters. The plot is basic as a love story and not meant to be taken literally... Bottom line here for you guys is...if you want to impress the wife or girlfriend or make up after a fight....watch this movie together...all with be forgiven scorpio

Good film if you don't dig too deep

Author: leliorisen
4 May 2002

I bought this movie primarily because I am a sucker for a good love story and I also happen to love Jann Arden's "Insensitive." I was quite surprised to learn who the song was directed to in the film, but that's another story.

On the level of light entertainment, this film makes a nice viewing. But when you go below the surface, there are an awful lot of problems.

It's one thing to have a relatively short film (88 min). It's another to have a 3-month time lapse condensed to a couple of minutes and give us no clue as to how one of the 2 characters is faring until we see the resolution. There were several times in this film when there were substantial time shifts and it was interspersed in such a manner that you tend to get thrown a bit off-balance.

*SPOILER: Additionally, this film is a bit offensive in that it uses prior child abuse merely as a plot device. It never really delves into it and keeps everything vague. Because of this Mary Stuart Masterson's character certainly comes off as alienated, but only in a surface manner. One would assume that a long-term relationship might only work for her if she initiated serious therapy. This film never addresses that. If one believes that 'love conquers all' it would probably not be an issue. But that concept isn't reality-based.

And there are unneccesary ambiguities in this film as well. Is the issue of Masterson falling in love being met with dissatisfaction from her boss? Has she become a better worker for not being a workaholic? These office scenes are handled very poorly and become relatively superfluous.

Performance-wise, Christian Slater does indeed come across well as an offbeat prince charming and Pamela Segall is excellent as the best friend, though she seems to be channeling Brenda Morgenstern. The biggest problem is Mary Stuart Masterson. She plays awkward and stiff well, but this role could probably have been cast better. Personally, I would have liked to have seen someone a bit plainer, such as Janeane Garafolo, in the part. It would have given Slater's motivation more depth. Could he fall in love and attempt to be a savior for a troubled woman if she wasn't especially pretty?

At any rate, "Bed of Roses" is well worth a watch. Just so long as one enjoys it for the light entertainment it is.

Loved it!

Author: newyrsbb69 from Midwest
19 March 2002

I really loved this movie. Mary Stuart Masterson and Christian Slater are great as a couple and I found myself rooting for them all the way through. Christian Slater's character, Lewis, is sweet and sexy and leaves me wondering...does he have a brother?

Definitely for the Romantics!

Author: Lee-107 (leewhys@gmail.com) from India
2 August 1999

This movie definitely stands as one of the most romantic films I've ever seen! I loved the very basis on which the movie was based - presenting a bouquet of flowers is such a day to day affair but how beautifully this little ritual was transformed into a touching love story between two people who need soul mates. There's Lisa, the busy VP of a company, an orphan who has had an unhappy childhood with her foster father but whose death at the start of the movie leaves her with a deep sense of shock and loss and there's Lewis, a florist, living in his own floral world, with a huge family but someone who is no stranger to loss himself, having lost his wife. These two people from considerably different backgrounds are destined to meet and fall in love...

Christian Slater's character is every girl's living dream! Lewis as a man is perfect, make Chritian Slater play him and it seldom gets better than that! ;) This was the first movie with Mary Stuart Masterson that I saw and I was sold! The woman is excellent! I saw films like 'Fried Green Tomatoes' and 'Digging to China' later just for her! I don't agree with what one more viewer over here has written - that MSM is just not the kind of girl a guy like Christian Slater would fall for. Making Lisa too beautiful would have lessened the human-ness of her character I think... Lisa, that way, is moderate in all ways, beautiful in a class of her own, not the most romantic person and with a past which makes her a trifle cautious about love, since she herself has received it in grudging doses...

Analysis apart, see this movie for an hour and a half of "unadulterated" romance... With a beautiful music score(Scarlet's 'Independent love song', Sarah McLachlan's 'Ice Cream' and Michael Convertino's ethereal music!) I have the OST of this film and it's one of the best I've heard! The dialogues - "..nothing like a finicky agapanthus..", "..it must have been some mistake in the floral world.." - are quite witty! If not ANYthing, just watch to have a peek at Lewis's dream-like terrace "garden"! Sigh! If all guys had such gardens on their terraces, all the girls would be bowled over like Lisa is and the ozone layer for once wouldn't be depleting! ;) Those are highly unromantic thoughts to occur while writing about love and romance in full bloom (pun intended..!)

But all said and done, this film is definitely for the romantic at heart! Those who're not, are perhaps likely to dismiss it as rosy mush! I liked it because the film had substance. 'Bed of Roses' wouldn't fall into the Romantic Comedy genre, 'cos a comedy it certainly isn't. And thank god for that! There are unfortunately very few rom-coms that are mercifully devoid of the same formulaic dialogue, contrived plot-settings and characters...in fact most are disappointingly mediocre('Notting Hill' is one classic example...) 'Bed of Roses' is just a romantic movie - it doesn't have comedy elements that are inserted in films more often as ploys to rope in a wider audience than for the need of them in the story per se...anyone who dismisses 'Bed of Roses' because of its lack of comedy or because they think it's a "chick-flick" - too bad! You're missing out on a good film!

Excellent Movie for the Hopeful Romantic!

Author: Peter Stawicki (pstaw57550@aol.com) from Dallas, Texas
6 August 2001

How can I even start. This movie is a true love story about bringing together two people so different from one another that under anything but the most unusual circumstances they would never even cross paths. And isn't that what we all want? A magic moment with someone that comes out of left field? Christian Slater is excellent as a shy but well meaning character who has nothing but the best intentions. His pain is easy to feel and his thoughts about the world are childlike, innocent, and so on target (We should all go to story hour sometime!) Mary Stuart Masterson is the picture of todays executive - hustling and bustling while never even giving thought to what she really wants deep inside. The two together are just the picture of how love should be. (The morning after scene is something I will always wish for in life and will never achieve)I honestly thought while watching this - if you could just run the credits after the morning after this would have been the perfect movie but into life a little rain must fall and so we have the second half. But even this I love because don't we all have those insecurities, that cowardice hiding deep inside?? Trust me - its worth a watch - everyone I know loves it and I have to fight to get the tape back when I loan it out!!

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]