IMDb > America's Dream (1996) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

America's Dream (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Should have kept my trap shut

Author: Daniel Tucker Kamin (dkamin@airmail.net) from Houston, Texas
27 July 2001

We had just wrapped filming Long Black Song. It was great having only four actors in the cast and Kevin was a terrific director. When we leaving the set Danny Glover came over to me, and with a big hug lifted me off the floor and said "Man I love you, you're great, I wanna do another picture with you." I laughed and said "Don't give me that Hollywood bull***t" ( couldn't believe I said that, but I did mean it). He put me down and said "What makes you think that's Hollywood bull***t ?" "Because", I said " I've heard it too many times before". Danny protested "Well not from me you haven't ! ". And yes, we never made another film together. I do admire Danny though. He works hard, is committed to his craft, spends money for the betterment of others, and is really a man's man. I am proud LBS got so much recognition in France. Tate Donovan is great to work with, too and has a great sense of humor.

.. could be better

Author: matrixfighter from Yerevan, Armenia
23 December 2003

I liked mostly the "Long Black Song"; whether black or white a woman is a woman, and a man is a man. I think the film should have had a more feminist shade. Still, Tina Lifford's performance is really good and natural, though the sex bit seems badly done with bad cuts. The "Boy who painted Christ black" seemed one of those still stuck between "good" and "evil". The narrative seemed limited and shallow. "The Reunion" seemed to tell the story, rather then ask questions - so to speak. I think it could have been better in terms of the screeplay, casting and acting.