IMDb > America's Dream (1996) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

America's Dream (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Good short stories

Author: nicholls_les from United Kingdom
25 January 2016

Not brilliant or life changing but these 3 stories of the lives of various African-American character in different situations was very watchable.

"Long Black Song": is the story of a farmer who's wife is unfaithful with a white door to door salesman. I thoug7 this was the best of the 3 stories and brilliantly acted especially by Danny Glover. The wife played by Tina Lifford, came across as a little simple woman who got bored being left home when her husband goes to town to sell his crop. The husband clearly loves his wife and splashes out on a ring for her not knowing what she is up to at home. We see glimpses of post slavery attitudes in the deep south and parts of it is disturbing. The white store owner clearly still views Danny's character as a 'boy'.

"The Boy Who Painted Christ Black": is about a school principal played by Wesley Snipes who is torn between his career and pleasing his wife and standing up for black rights. This is a moving story that shows just how wrong America's attitude towards blacks is. I say is rather than was because although the laws have changed these attitudes still exist in the minds of many in America, especially in the South. I thought the young boy Aaron was acted brilliantly by Norman D. Golden II.

"The Reunion": a jazz pianist sees a white woman in the audience of the Jazz club where she works and it stirs up painful childhood memories. I found this the weakest of the 3 stories and at times confusing. But the overall message did come through in the end.

I would recommend this trilogy or stories to anyone who is interested in human nature, especially the turmoil internally and externally that racism can bring.

Should have kept my trap shut

Author: Daniel Tucker Kamin (dkamin@airmail.net) from Houston, Texas
27 July 2001

We had just wrapped filming Long Black Song. It was great having only four actors in the cast and Kevin was a terrific director. When we leaving the set Danny Glover came over to me, and with a big hug lifted me off the floor and said "Man I love you, you're great, I wanna do another picture with you." I laughed and said "Don't give me that Hollywood bull***t" ( couldn't believe I said that, but I did mean it). He put me down and said "What makes you think that's Hollywood bull***t ?" "Because", I said " I've heard it too many times before". Danny protested "Well not from me you haven't ! ". And yes, we never made another film together. I do admire Danny though. He works hard, is committed to his craft, spends money for the betterment of others, and is really a man's man. I am proud LBS got so much recognition in France. Tate Donovan is great to work with, too and has a great sense of humor.

.. could be better

Author: matrixfighter from Yerevan, Armenia
23 December 2003

I liked mostly the "Long Black Song"; whether black or white a woman is a woman, and a man is a man. I think the film should have had a more feminist shade. Still, Tina Lifford's performance is really good and natural, though the sex bit seems badly done with bad cuts. The "Boy who painted Christ black" seemed one of those still stuck between "good" and "evil". The narrative seemed limited and shallow. "The Reunion" seemed to tell the story, rather then ask questions - so to speak. I think it could have been better in terms of the screeplay, casting and acting.