IMDb > "Traders" (1996) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Traders"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Traders" More at IMDbPro »

One of the best shows no longer on

Author: Raleon
29 April 2003

This was a great drama which I wish stayed on the air longer than it had. Full of great actors and suspenseful plots which carry on from episode to episode. Rick Roberts and David Hewlett are hilarious together- David Hewlett himself is such an underrated actor. He's so different as Grant that it's almost hard to recognize him from his other work.

The only thing that irritates me is the camera work- too shaky and too many close ups. But the show itself usually makes up for that. I would recommend this for anyone.

Regarding Traders Seasons Two and beyond on DVD...

Author: mrtoby-1 from Canada
2 August 2005

Hi everyone,

I am a fan of this show and I recently purchased Season 1 on DVD with the full intent of buying the rest of the series when it came out on DVD. However, it seems as though Alliance Atlantis is taking their time in releasing Seasons Two and beyond. So I emailed Alliance Atlantis and this is the response I received:

From: HomeVideo@AllianceAtlantis.com Date: Tue Aug 02, 2005 02:28:09 PM CDT Subject: RE: "Traders" Seasons Two and beyond?

Thank-you for taking the time to write to us here at Alliance Atlantis Motion Picture Distribution, Home Entertainment.

Unfortunately we do not have any immediate plans to release further seasons of "Traders".

I hope this answers all of your questions, any further inquiries please don't hesitate to contact us, and thank-you once again for writing to Alliance Atlantis Home Entertainment.

So if you, like I, love this series and would like the rest to be released on DVD. Email HomeVideo@AllianceAtlantis.com and request that they release it!!!

I just thought I'd share this with all the other fans of this great Canadian TV series.

-Mr Toby

Makes me forget that it's Canadian

Author: robert from Stoney Creek, Ontario, Canada
25 February 1999

This may sound unpatriotic, but I've always shyed away from Canadian attempts at this type of prime time drama. They've always had a kind of style about them that shouted "Canadian" in a non complimentary way. So when Traders premiered I was reluctant to give it a try. Thank heavens I gave in and viewed it. I was hooked from the very first.

Traders is decidedly Canadian. It takes place in a real Canadian city and is full of references to Canadian culture and institutions. Luckily, this is of no importance at all to the quality of the show. Both the writing and acting can stand shoulder to shoulder with any Prime Time drama produced anywhere in the world, including the best of both American and British television. It did not have to try and sell itself to me by appealing to some sense of patriotic duty to Canadian media like so many other past attempts.

When this show premiered, it was up against the brand new "ER". The magic of video allowed me to view both shows and make my choice. "ER" lost.

It goes to prove that when we stop trying to be so "Canadian" and just try to concentrate on quality, we can kick some major derriere.

Absolutely ... the best !!

Author: phbalanced
18 January 2006

Thankfully this program is still in reruns and it takes a long time to get through five seasons, but what a series! A weekly TV series based on the goings on in the financial industry may sound like a yawner, but not at all. The cast is large and varied, but the most memorable cast member is head floor trader Marty Stephens, played by comedian Patrick McKenna, whose eccentric character is never underplayed. Great supporting cast also includes the wonderful David Hewlett as the quirky yet brilliant computer genius who specializes in the derivatives market. Drama, suspense, and even action-thriller in some plots keeps viewers on edge and wanting more.

Season three storyline about corporate financier Jack Larkin (played by David Cubitt) and bad guy Jean-Paul Brunet (played by Carlo Rota) is one of the best, though new cast additions in the fourth and fifth season and new story lines do not draw away the attention from the main characters.

Viewers not familiar with investment jargon will not be lost in trying to follow story lines. If Marty screams "SELL !!!" he's probably running with the bulls. Throughout the five seasons, we get to see a myriad of stories including some real business scandals made fictional, the popular activity of day trading, insider trading, bankruptcy and restructuring, and others.

Series was nominated and won numerous Gemini Awards in the mid to late 1990s, and most recently listed as one of Canada's Top 10 best shows of all time. Too bad only season one is available on DVD. Series deserves a finale two-hour movie.

A Pleasant Surprise

Author: ldarkphoenix from USA
18 July 2011

OK I gotta say, this show is really hard to find online, which is really the only way us US-ers are gonna be able to see anything past season 1 (at least until everything else comes out on DVD.)

Now that I've started to watch the show, I'm glad I didn't give up in my efforts to find it, because I'm lovin' it. I originally only wanted to watch the show for Hewlett (Grant Janksy), as I'm familiar with his more recent work, but I find myself enjoying watching McKenna (Marty Stephens) and Roberts (Donald D'Arby).

I would recommend this show to any of my friends, and I'm so hoping to someday own the whole series on DVD (we all know it'll happen at some point.)

My Favourite Show

Author: John Carpenter (johncarpenter@execulink.com) from Hamilton, Canada
22 March 2000

This award winning drama has everything that a person could want. Love, betrayal, money, sex, humour, great acting, everything! Bruce Grey as awesome as Adam Cunningham, the member of the Old Guard on Bay Street, and Sonia Smits is superb as Sally Ross, the scholar turned broker. Great writing makes the show fresh and interesting. It's only down point is that some of the terms used on the show are a bit too technical. All in all I give it 9 out of ten.

Everyone seems to agree - a fantastic show!

Author: glwardberg from Canada
18 April 2006

I just want to add my two cents. I don't comment on many movies or programs, but this was very, very good - and I will email HomeVideo@AllianceAtlantis.com to ask for more seasons on DVD.

Great acting, solid plots and wicked writing! I think I got a little dizzy just watching the camera bouncing around - which now seems to be an industry standard.

I love Patrick McKenna, Sonia Smitts, and all the other Canucks. By the sounds of the other reviews, everyone agrees. This was(is) a fantastic series.

I'm hoping enough pressure will release more seasons! cheers glwardberg

Better than "ER" anyday!

Author: spinbunny from London, Ontario
16 November 1998

In Ontario, "Traders" is on at the same time as "ER". If you are as SICK of "ER" as I am...this is the show for you! (no stupid romances, repeated plots, characters you hate or patients you wish would die to be found!!!) Plus on Canadian TV they tend to swear which makes it even more realistic.

"Traders" is quirky, humourous, down-right off the wall at times and an enjoyable hour to spend in front of the tube! (take as a point the plot-line where a hooker was hired to pretend to be Grant's "adoptive mother". What does Grant do? Take her as a girl friend. And pays her for it!)

Patrick McKenna is a genius in his portrayal of Marty (just compare this character to Harold on the "Red Green Show"!) as is David Hewlett in playing Grant (a true computer geek to the end!) and Sonja Smits as the kitten-at-heart Sally Ross.

"Traders" tends to be current in regards to financial and political issues, and its ever-present black humour and is worth a look: you'll be hooked, for sure!

Wonderful drama, this English fan loves it!!!

Author: Claire from Kent, England
28 November 2008

I'm in England and I love this to bits. The whole production is sharp, classy, humorous and hard hitting in all the right places. The cast are all excellent, the writing and directing fast paced and clean. It's a huge surprise to me that we don't get any Canadian drama here, well, at least not since Due South anyways. So far, we've had the aforementioned DS and Psi Factor. Both OK in their own right but why are we not getting the quality Canadian shows like Traders?? - why???

We seem to be overloaded with American stuff which, for the most part is OK but personally as a person who loves good quality drama I say we need to see more shows like this, so I'd like to petition the BBC and other stations to really look at buying in Canadian drama, we're fed up to the back teeth of other countries output being shown ad nauseum on UK telly, please lets have Traders and more shows like it.

raised the bar for Canuck productions

Author: yannybarney from Canada
16 October 2006

This TV show was a turning point in Canadian production for me. I was always a fan of home grown art, music, etc. but not Canadian television until TRADERS. This is b/c Canadian TV was generally sub-standard when I was growing up (due to minuscule or non-existent budgets). If you were channel surfing and happened upon some low budget, made-for-TV movie the assumption or joke was that "It must be a Canadian production".

I'm not saying that this was first great Canadian show but it was the first one on my radar and my favorite TV show for the five years of its run. Now, there is a rich selection of Canuck productions to pick from, some of them being some of the more intelligent and edgy television out there, but it was a pioneer.

If you get a chance to watch this show, do yourself a favor...You will fall in love with these characters and be thoroughly entertained.