IMDb > "Superman" (1996) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Superman"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Superman" More at IMDbPro »

I Endorse Other IMDB Users Views...This Is Supe's Best Cartoon

Author: Big Movie Fan from England
21 November 2002

There was a cartoon Superman series in the early 1940's which is in a class of it's own. However, since then there have been a few Superman cartoons and then there was Superman on the Superfriends show. This was indeed Superman's best cartoon. Excluding the 1940's series, the other Superman cartoons look dated and cheezy if you were to watch them now. The same can be said for the Batman cartoons. This Superman series is brilliant, on par with Batman:The Animated Series.

How did people make this series work? Simple. They did exactly what they did with Batman:The Animated Series and did it with this cartoon. Superman is an intelligent cartoon for adults and children with great plots, humour and plenty of action. Let's not forget artistic license either-don't you just love Superman's big jaw and Clark's big jaw as well (big giveaway there to anyone wanting to find out Supe's secret identity). It has been ten years since Batman:The Animated Series made it's debut and it has not aged at all; the same can be said for Superman.

I strongly recommend this movie and also, the Batman/Superman team up movie from 1998. Absolute magic!

His best cartoon

Author: SpideyTerry from Ardmore, PA
14 January 2000

This is the best Superman cartoon ever made. It beats out all those other cartoons featuring Superman in every way. The animation is superb, not as good as Batman: The Animated series mind you, but still very good. The stories are also very good. It is filled with excitement and drama, and even a little humor. This series is great.

The other Caped Crusader

Author: DarthBill from United States
15 April 2004

After the success of "Batman: The Animated Series", Superman, who'd been out of the lime light for a while except for "Lois & Clark", finally got a shot at his own series again. This show recapped Superman's origin, established his relationships and pit him against a variety of characters - including a memorable brawl between him and Lobo, voiced by Brad Garrett (who also voiced another character, but I forget his name).

Superman was voiced by Tim Daly, and he did a damn fine job of it too. It's a shame that he wasn't available for "Justice League", as he was definitely superior to his successor, George Newbern (sorry George). Dana Delany was what Margot Kidder's Lois Lane SHOULD have been but never was. Same goes for Clancy Brown as Lex Luther. M*A*S*H alum Mike Farrell provided the voice of Superman's Earth dad.

Storylines were generally good and voice acting solid (as mentioned above), but the only thing that really marred this show was the animation. While not bad, the characters, particularly the male characters, were too blocky looking. Superman himself looked as though he'd been carved out of rock. This animation isn't bad but it's not on par with the animation in "Batman: The Animated Series". Sadly, this look has been retained for "Justice League".

Batman has made guest appearances on Superman from time to time, even did a "movie" with him, which brought their relationship up to date.

So all in all, a 9 1/2 out of 10.

Best Animated Interpretation of Superman Ever!!

Author: voicemaster71 from United States
19 December 2005

I am totally convinced that Bruce Timm and company at WB Animation have a true midas touch when it comes to animating DC Super Heroes. While I am a Batman fan first and foremost and love the animated series, I also love Superman quite a bit. I've seen every animated series of Superman and as far as I'm concerned, this one is the best of all of them, even though the classic Fleisher cartoons of the 40's give it some competition.

Superman: The Animated Series is a more modern looking show than Batman is judging by the cars in the city as well as the technology. Other than that, the characters, and especially Superman himself have a look that is timeless. Modern, yet reminiscent of the way people looked in the old classic movies. Superman himself and his alter ego of Clark Kent captures that feel more than anybody and I personally enjoyed his vocal performances by Tim Daly and was saddened he was unavailable for Justice League. Lois Lane has never been hotter in any other interpretation plus Dana Delaney was perfect casting voice over wise. Lex Luthor is a suave, rich, billionaire business tycoon who was voiced over superbly by Clancy Brown. This Luthor is what I feel the movie version should have been and amazingly, he reminded me of Tony Savallas, even before I knew that was the animators' intentions with the character. From other shows, I enjoyed the newest interpretations of Jimmy Olsen, Perry White, and villains like the Toyman, Kalibak, and Desaad and others as well as supportive players like Lana Lang and Jonathan and Martha Kent, who oddly enough, were voiced over by real life married couple, Mike Farrell and Shelley Fabares.

Other than Lex Luthor, my favorite Superman villains were: Brainiac, who in this series is from Krypton, Mr Mxyptlk, who voiced over by Gilbert Gottfried, was so damn funny, that I bust a gut laughing at his episodes. Also for entertainment, I like Bizarro. And for a dangerous, undefeatable villain, I choose Darkseid, voiced brilliantly by Michael Ironside.

Since I didn't read Superman comics like I did Batman, I got familiar with characters in the animated series like: Anchorwoman Angela Chen, Detectives Maggie Sawyer, and Dan Turpin of the Metropolis SCU. ALso, Professor Emil Hamilton and villains like Metallo, the Parasite, Maxima, and new villains like Livewire, Luminus, Volcanna, and Apokolips villains like Granny Goodness , Steppenwolf, and the Parademons. And I must not forget the likes of Kryptonian villains like Jax ur nd Mala, and for good laughs, the bounty hunter Lobo.

My favorite episodes include, The Bizarro and Mr. Mxyzptlk stories for the sake of laughter. For drama, I'd recommend the pilot movie, "The Last Son of Krypton." Apokolips.. NOW!, episodes with Supergirl, the final two part episode, Legacy, and I especially love teams ups with Batman, like World's Finest, Knight Time, and the Demon Reborn. I also loved the team ups with the Flash, the Kyle Raynor Green Lantern, Doctor Fate, and the Silver Age version of Aquaman.

I love everything about the series, the animation quality, the voice over cast, and the great music by Shirley Walker. These are excellent shows and I recommend them for anybody. I've recently heard that there will be an animated Direct to DVD Superman movie coming out this year. I'm already anxious to see it and get it.

Superman: The Animated Series was superb. If you haven't seen it, I highly suggest it.

If it wasn't for the success of Batman the animated series.

Author: Richard A Scott from Salem, OR
3 December 1998

If it wasn't for the success of Batman the animated series, it is likely that this series wouldn't have been made. It is a great series. The material from this series is taken largely from the comics and "Lois and Clark". It is undoubtedly along with Batman one of the finest adaptions ever done of these characters for television or the movies. It is far easier to make the characters believable animated than it is to do live action. While not nearly as good as the Batman material I personally lean towards Supes everytime. It is fine action adventure in the truest sense of the word. Excellent drama. Lots of fun to be had here.

Superman best animated series

Author: Israel Torres (goodsephiroth@hotmail.com) from Puerto Rico
26 June 2006

When you are watching this series you are feeling Superman is one of the greatest heroes in comics history. This series contains every details about Superman history. The history of his planet Kripton are the first three episodes of the season. You will learn about his weakness, his enemies and his friends through the episodes.

Later in series you will see Superman teaming with another greats superheroes like Batman, Flash, Green Lantern and more. The episodes of Superman and Batman are excellent because are mixing enemies from both series. I recommend to watch Word's Finest episodes.

Lex Luthor is the main enemy of Superman but you will see in action more enemies like Metallo, Darkseid, Braniac, Joker and more. I like this series because Superman appear like he can be beaten. He have all the magnificent powers but the enemies are smart and they can destroy Superman if they want it. This make suspense in the series.

This is a very short series compared with Batman animated show. But every episodes are great and you don't wanna miss any one of them.

I recommend this series.

THIS SHOW RULED!

Author: SSJAniFan from Pine Valley, California
5 September 2003

Spoilers

Superman: TAS, was a great show. I remember seeing a quick clip of it in spring '96, and I couldn't wait for it to come out. Superman, though a cartoon, had great plots. Also, it had LOBO! That was one of the best episodes ever, when Lobo showed up in the show. And Gilbert Gottfried was perfect as Mxyzptlk(read: annoying). And characters actually died! There were quite a few deaths, mainly on the, "Darkseid," episodes. Plus, the final episode, unlike the weak ending to, "Batman: TAS," was great. Seeing Superman so ticked off at Darkseid for brainwashing him was great. He tore into the Apokolips ruler. I never remember seeing Superman that angry before. Just about the only problem I had was the new costume designed for Supergirl. I thought it looked pretty stupid. Still, she was at least much better than Batgirl in Batman.

BOTTOM LINE: This needs the DVD treatment... NOW!!!

A great reinvention of my favourite hero!

Author: matand2215 from United Kingdom
20 July 2006

Superman The Animated series comes from the creators of Batman The Animated Series and is in many ways a sequel. The two had numerous crossovers. The show reinvents Supermans rogues gallery. Mettalo has much more depth, Parasite absorbs thoughts as well as powers, but best of all Brainiac is a Kryptonian Super Computer.

The show is largely an adaption of the 90's Superman Stories, with Lex Luthor the owner of Lex Corp, Pa Kent it still alive and Batman and Superman aren't so buddy, buddy.

The show, however, really begins to shine when it adapts older stories. These are Jack Kirby stories about Darksied the ruler of Apokalips, a hell like world. This makes the last season very epic, especially when darksied invades and kills one of the cast members, I won't spoil it by saying who.

Supergirl is also reinvented very well. Instead of using the bizarre idea that a piece of Krypton flew into space, she comes from a neighbouring planet which Kryptonians inhabited.

Supermans cast members Lois, Perry White, Jimmy, and Dan Turbin are done very well, and are the only people not reinvented.

The show ends at its prime. After a certain cast member dies you start to actually feel worried. After that point, Darkseid could do anything. In the final, very epic, two episodes of Superman, Supermans mind is taken over by Darksied and forced to invade earth. The series began on a happy note and ended on a sad one leaving Superman to earn earths trust. Superman the animated series was over, but he lived again in Justice Leaue...

Another great superhero series

Author: SonicStuart from Kansas City, MO
31 January 2005

I enjoy a lot of the superheroes that are based on comic books. This show Superman: The Animated Series was one of them. Superman is based on a DC Comics comic book about a ageless human who is the last son of the planet Krypton and then gets sent to Earth and becomes the legendary protector of his adoptive home Earth. He is Superman! Superman is also alias Clark Kent who is a newspaper reporter. But when there's trouble you know who to call (and I know there are a lot of superheroes you can call but there's only one you can call in this series) SUPERMAN! This show premiered on Kids WB back in September 1996 and lasted for 3 seasons until February 2000. Superman was also in a few DC Comic superhero show spin-offs like "The Batman/Superman Adventures" and "Justice League". Which are also good shows!

User Rating: 7/10

BOTTOM LINE: SUPER!

Superman rocks thanks to this cartoon!

Author: Zach Kucala (zach@kucalafamily.net) from Georgia
8 October 2007

I was never a big Superman fan growing up. I watched Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman, love Christopher Reeve's Superman, and I watched this animated series. The animated series is a personal favorite of mine along with my favorite super hero, Spider-Man. I loved both these series in the 90's. I don't like Batman though. The animated series is back on JETIX. As is Spider-Man. I highly recommend this show. Along with Smallville. Forget Superman Returns! It was an absolute failure! The Spider-Man films are perfect along with Christopher Reeve's Superman movies! But, skip Superman Returns! The voice acting is awesome.