IMDb > "Suddenly Susan" (1996) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Suddenly Susan"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Suddenly Susan" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

I miss Suddenly Susan still!

Author: (sylviastel@aol.com) from United States
23 September 2002

One of the reasons that Suddenly Susan works for me is the ensemble cast of characters including Brooke Shields. Even though she is the star of the show, she manages to evolve her supporting cast of characters like the unbelievable Vicki and Judd Nelson as her boss Jack Richmond. The show is well-grouped with this cast of zany characters working at a fictional San Francisco newspaper. When tragedy struck the cast, the loss of David Strickland who played Todd was so catastrophic for the cast and crew for it to ever recover from his loss. David Strickland committed suicide in a Las Vegas hotel room. The cast was never the same again without him. The pairing of Vicki and Susan living together brought great laughs. These two should get together and spin off the characters into their own series. The show was never an Emmy winner or critically acclaimed. But from all reports, this show actually had a pleasant environment to grow and mature. Brooke Shields as a producer was not afraid to let her supporting cast branch out which is why I like this show.

prior to David Strickland's death

Author: mltmn from United States
29 December 2006

This show and its ensemble of characters was one of the funniest and creative shows on television. The comedy's center was the workplace with each character finding his/her own niche, completely separate and different from the others. Brooke Shields was excellent as the foil to many pranks/quips relating to her relationship with her cohorts, especially after the addition of Maddie. Unfortunately the shows strengths diminished after the death of David Stickland and the departure of Jack and Maddie. The whole show's premise and hilarity was lost with the addition of Eric Idol and the change to the magazine as well. Bring back the origin of this sitcom. David Strickland must have never known how he affected so many in his life. It is a shame, God rest and bless his soul.

Searching for something nice to say

Author: ProofUndeniable from United States
24 July 2003

The one and only reason I ever tuned into this show was to see Judd Nelson on a regular basis. And on that point I was not disappointed. I found him to be charming and engaging and quite funny. And a pleasant surprise was the comedic abilities of the late David Strickland. He had an endearing quality combined with a knack for delivery. The glowing review ends there. Brooke Shields was hit and miss, with a strong emphasis on miss. She could be humorous at times, but it was usually due more to circumstance than her delivery or timing. Kathy Griffin's Vicky had an obnoxious nastiness that could wrangle a snicker out of me every now and again. But, Aundrea Benewald and Nestor Carbonell were forgettable window dressing for the most part. The last season was not pleasant and I think I only suffered through the season opener. I don't try and sit through any of the fourth season re-runs, even if nothing is on but infomercials.

Good cast, weak scripts

Author: Red66 from Los Angeles
15 June 1999

The cast is very good. The scripts are patchy. Maybe they can bring in the Mad About You writers now that the show has ended. Brooke gets better and better. She was a little stiff at first, but now she is relaxed and nuanced. I'm glad Kathy Griffin's character is single again. What will happen next season without Stricland and Ne

Wow!!!!

Author: Brandy-28 from Los Angeles
25 May 1999

I thought the tribute to David Strickland last night was extremely touching and surprisingly enough very funny. I know in my heart they did David Strickland very well with the tribute and the season finale. There was real emotion and sadness. I did not see anything phony about their sadness, it was truly genuine. On a more personal note, I really thought David Strickland was very funny and very talented. What it really all boils down to is listening to our youth and trying to understand the problems, because no matter what, there are always warning signs.

Weakly written show with good comic actors and charming, lovely Brooke Shields

Author: trpdean from New York, New York
12 March 2002

This was never a wonderfully written program. In comparison to shows like Frasier, Friends, Seinfeld, even Mad About You, the plots, the jokes, were just thin. One good reason why is that the subplots never meshed with the plots.

For example, I just watched a rerun of one: the subplot is about the photographer taking pictures of Nana in order for Shields to present a portrait to her grandfather. Predictably, the photographs are far more racy than Shields expects. The main plot is about Griffin's jealousy over Shields' "sudden" success as a star player on Griffin's basketball team - the jealousy spills over into jealousy of Shields' beauty (and she responds that no one has life easy, being so tall, etc.). The plot has NOTHING to do with the subplot. They could have been put in different episodes - that's not very good writing.

For me, the reason for watching the program is to watch Brooke Shields -whose graciousness, modesty and essential sweetness come through in all she's done as an adult. (I was too old to be a fan in her "Endless Summer", "Blue Lagoon" days). More than any other actress, she has that Mary Tyler Moore character's humility, that eagerness to please. I would expect that she is always one of the most diligent actresses in any project.

When someone so beautiful is also so obviously this lovely seeming a person, one's in danger of losing one's heart. That's why I watched this fairly weak program. Shields deserves better writers - and she's really born to be a movie star, not one on television.

Suddenly Noticed!

Author: scottallenkennedy@hotmail.com from fremont ca
15 March 2006

Brooke Shields was long overdue for recognition when she was finally given her chance to shine in this funny, quiet, unassuming little gem. What people seem to forget was, that it finished its first year in the top 4 in the Nielson ratings. It more than held viewers from the lead in show. Then NBC foolishly moved it. Always the kiss of death...or at least the beginning of the proverbial handwriting on the wall. However, this show defied the odds and improved in years 2 and 3! Thanks mainly to Brooke's self-deprecating humor and delivery which was reminiscent of Mary Tyler Moore. And supporting her was the cast's individual and unique contributions which were also reminiscent of that glorious cast of MTM. Now, in all fairness the shows writing didn't rival the show I have just used in comparison, but it more than surpassed shows that were on TV for triple the number of years than SS. It is more than worth your time for viewing! One day, if she returns to Movies and TV, Mrs. Henchy will receive her long overdue awards of merit to go with her long overdue "awards of motherhood"!

Great show! Two thumbs up!

Author: bookwormcassie from New York, NY
27 August 2005

Suddenly Susan is funny and creative. I watch it every single day. In New York, S.S. is on at 4pm on LRW. (lifetime real women) My favorite character is probably Todd. It's way too bad he killed himself. After the tribute episode to him, the show seemed to go down the hill. They moved to another office building and there were suddenly (excuse the pun) a bunch of new people we'd never seen before. I kind of don't care for the 1999 and 2000 episodes. That's not to say all of the 1999 episodes were that bad. Before Todd's character disappeared, it was a great laugh-out-loud comedy. Then it just got really inappropriate and I didn't race to the TV when it was time for S.S. anymore. In the beginning though, it was good.

not very funny but really lovable

Author: Bibi-10 from Netherlands
8 August 2003

After watching reruns of Suddenly Susan over the last couple of months I got strangely addicted to it. I find myself really looking forward to the "new" old episodes every day. I don't usually fall for American sitcoms, I prefer British sense of humour, but I really got to like this show. I love the characters (especially those in the first three seasons), and unlike some other viewers who have commented on it, I think there is real chemistry between Susan and Jack. I also think that Luis is an excellent character.

Brooke Shields

Author: (patygirl_df@hotmail.com) from Brasilia, Brasil
25 February 2000

I've always loved Brooke Shields, she had a wonderful and quick career as a movie star. I don't understand what happened, because she is even more talented and beautiful than she used to be when she made her best movies. Maybe she enjoy doing television or maybe they stop sending her good scripts. The show is great, very funny, interesting but it so below Brooke's competence, she could be so much more. I really miss her in the big screen, but I watch the show every week and I have a really great time...

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]