IMDb > "The Sentinel" (1996) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Sentinel"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The Sentinel" More at IMDbPro »

I'm hooked

Author: SpideyTerry from Ardmore, PA
23 August 2000

This was a very enjoyable and fun series. Unlike a lot of shows (on any network) this show had intelligence. I can't figure out why U.P.N. dropped this series. It's not like the shows they replaced it with lasted very long anyway. At least the Sci-Fi Channel airs the reruns.

Should have continued on another network

Author: (simonblairr) from Montreal, Quebec
19 March 2003

The reason why "The Sentinel" should have went on another network for a brand new season is that besides being a very innovative series, the three main actors said that they would have loved to come back and continue filming new episodes. That is a surprising thing for multiply actors on a TV show to say. The reason is usually after a number of seasons of a TV series that is not well known in the mainstream, some people start to get tired of being on it and want to pursue other opportunities. One reason why Sci-Fi did not want to pick it up is because they want to stick to their original programming. It's like a cable TV network not wanting to use someone's leftovers. I thought that "The Sentinel" would have been perfect on CBS. I say this because I recall when they had their "America's Night of Heroes" theme for their Saturday night lineup. Another reason is that I was surprised when I saw Richard on one of their weekend television shows. He was on another police show that they had. What puzzles me about a CBS television executive not deciding to pick up "The Sentinel" is that the network did that with "JAG". "The Sentinel" would have fit perfect with that "America's Night of Heroes" theme, since they have that "Touched by An Angel" series on their network. "The Sentinel" is also in the same mold as that "Nash Bridges" TV series. I would have to say that this show gave UPN a plethora of credibility. It is fitting that UPN initially canceled "The Sentinel" and thus caused loyal viewers to start a large letter writing campaign to continue the series for another season. The ending with Jerri Ryan's character was the reason why writers on the show did not want to continue it. "The Sentinel" would have been perfect on CBS for a few additional seasons after it went off the air on UPN.

One of the best shows I've seen

Author: annieb111 from Aldinga Beach Australia
21 April 2003

The Sentinel was one of the best shows I've seen. It managed to tie in credible cop plots with a bit of sci-fi and make it enjoyable. Richard Burgi and Garett Maggart made a great team and it was so nice to see Aussie actress Anna Galvin as Megan with Aussie accent and colloquialisms instead of the usual fake "cockney" types American shows give us a being typically Australian. Nice job Anna. Now if we can could just get them to remake it.

A show that dealt with people's senses

Author: dtwet from United States
29 September 2006

I watched this show and taped it, I enjoyed it because it dealt with a subject that some people don't believe can actually happen. THe things that Jim, Blair and Simon did in dealing with crime and life were really great. And I was so angry when they took it off the air. If the people in this world who have these senses actually worked with our police force and FBI can you imagine the crimes that would be solved, and the children and people who have been abducted would still maybe be alive. But because Law enforcement and FBI don't understand it, they don't believe it. I loved that show. It would be great if it would come back with all the originals-. It is like people who are blind, their senses are incredible do to the fact that they see with their senses.

Don't judge a book by its cover.

Author: sebg02894 from United Kingdom
12 November 2005

One of the main reasons I loved this show so much was because of the great contrasts between the two main characters.

Also, as I watched the show I became more and more aware that each of the characters were not quite as they appeared to be. Both of them had very definite personality types but as the show went on it became more and more clear that each of them were anything but 2-dimensional. Where one seemed hard and militaristic, he showed underneath that he was vulnerable and - to a certain extent - incapable of dealing with the effects of changes in his life, without help. The other seemed a typical enthusiastic academic who did not exactly belong in the world of the tough cop, but it shows episode by episode that he has an inner strength, and flexibility that enables him to not only operate well within the environment of police work but also to help the tougher cop with his own problems. They fit together like a hand in a glove and I have rarely come across such a well-fleshed out and dynamic friendship in any other similar shows.

Great Feeling About This One!

Author: sofafrog
15 August 2000

I've seen only several episodes of this show, but the ones that I have seen I really enjoyed and hope that this show can keep going even though now airs on the scifi channel. This is a show that can you keep you excited throughout its hour of air.

The Sentinl Season 2 & 3 ??

Author: ctmcvn75 from United States
2 March 2007

I caught this show by accident when it came out,and was hooked. There was just enough Sci-Fi to keep your imagination active and not too outrageous. Ellison was portrayed as a total Superman like some action stars of the era.

Has anyone heard anything about their release dates? Or has anything been mentioned?

This series was one of the better ones on UPN - shame they didn't keep it going. Does anyone know why they didn't keep it going? Did one of the actors get greedy?

Should anyone hear about future releases please let me know. I will be eagerly awaiting seasons 2 & 3.

This was one of the best shows that I have ever watched

Author: Douglas Wynn (Wynner3@yahoo.com) from San Mateo, CA
19 February 2002

This show had me glued to the TV every week. I would purposely have that day off so I could see it. I loved this show and then all of a sudden it disappeared and never came back. I was and am disappointed. I would love to see it come back. It was a great show which I thought was doing pretty good.

The only TV show I actually would schedule my life around to watch.

Author: (bonjoviqueen) from North Carolina, USA
18 December 2001

UPN used to run it. Then Sci-Fi channel used to run. Now it's totally disappeared! Question is why? I LOVED THIS SHOW! I always made time to watch this show because it was one of the rare TV shows worth watching. Hell, it was better than Seinfeld and Friends put together. Please put this show back on! The re-runs are worth watching!

Colleen

A little something for everyone

Author: Bast (kixxstir@aol.com) from Norfolk VA
26 September 1999

This TV show has a little something for everyone - from explosions and stunts to friendship and even though it had been cancelled from UPN, it's now going to be playing on the Sci Fi Channel starting in October 2000.... maybe if we ask for more episodes, Sci Fi will listen - give The Sentinel a try... you'll enjoy it.