"PSI Factor: Chronicles of the Paranormal"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

A tv show where less is more....something different than the X FILES.

Author: JET ACE
2 April 2001

The show could have done a crop circles episode or the like, yet managed, in it's third and fourth seasons to crank out some decent tv episodes. The first two seasons were not bad but came from a different angle...they went more for a psuedo tv science investigation show. I enjoyed this program which was a success moderately in most tv markets. Episodes like WINDING CLOTH, while interesting fell short of potential...yet, these people are writing and I am not. (except for a protoype script) The show used rather talented actors and writers and wasn't quite up to the par of FOREVER KNIGHT but this was not the intention. I am saddened that the host did not write one himself. He is a afficianado of the occult, religion and strange happens, UFO's, ghosts and other curiosities. The show could warrant a revival but this seems unlikely. The digital effects were good. one thing you have to understand about canadian shows, they rely on the LESS IS MORE mentality, or bang for the buck budget productions. This made for a interesting show that tried to stress substance and scientific reason over the X FILES conspiracy minded approach, however, with episodes like ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WILD WEST, I was inspired....at times it almost met TWILIGHT ZONE expectations.

P.S.I Factor in Iran

Author: triology2007 from Islamic Republic of Iran
6 August 2008

I live in Iran and I must say I've never been so "obsessed" with a T.V show / movie as I was with P.S.I Factor.I bought the original DVDs after the series on T.V were over.Actually I would go into some sort of depression if I just missed one episode! In Iran it was continuous and very well dubbed. The voices in the dubbed Persian version were surprisingly identical to the ones I heard in the original show! My favorite character in the series is definitely Colin Fox (as Dr.Anton Hendricks). I don't know why but every time I saw his face or heard his voice, his patience and the way he treats other people, I get a feeling like I wanna be like him! Our neighbor looks like him (I can't tell them apart!!) and every time I come face to face with him, I'd like to tell him how much I love him, but I don't! Cos it's stupid "I love you because you look like my favorite actor in my favorite T.V show?" come on! Anyway, It's too bad that the series were of a remarkably low quality, if not terrible.It was obviously a low budget show, but in my mind no movie and no T.V show EVER produced can beat it! Other movies, no matter how interesting and well built they are, are DOOMED, YES DOOMED TO be forgotten! But this one just kept me wondering if all those interesting stories actually happened in the real world? I used to read a lot of books about paranormal events, so I know for a fact that some of the stories were true (Like that of human combustion), or moving plants, which are believable, but I wonder if the reason they offered in the series to explain those events were scientific or came straight from the mind of the script writer? To me it sounds to be the second case! The stories in season 1 were quite believable, but as the series went forward, I could sense a lot of fiction coming into the show.Some of the fictional episodes were really interesting, like the one in which Anton Hendricks goes missing in an arch and his wife gets back possessed with a demon.Some episodes were frightening and full of tension like "Bad Dreams" or the episodes in which Connor Doyle was killed and a fake one was back in the fourth season! I don't like the way the series ends, they could have done much more to develop the characters.I'd really embrace an American version of P.S.I Factor, if you will, but with the same Canadian actors and actresses! Special effects could have been much better. Anyway, I still watch P.S.I Factor and I enjoy it! Oh and I'm really happy that I know English so good that I can understand over 95% of the conversations! Please produce the 5th season too!!!! :)

Legendary PSI Factor

Author: Tom Reves from Lithuania
4 July 2010

This one of the most fascinating TV series I have ever seen. I remember watching the series on TV when I was a small child. At that time, the series seemed scary and I actually believed these stories were true.

Now, when I grew up and watched all the series all over again, I could judge those series with more reason. So, I saw a lot of factual errors. Factuals errors occur not in the actual part which thought to be fictional but in ordinary things.

But I have to admit that the screenplays are written in clever and absorbing way, and that helps to keep viewers interested in this project even after the year when it was closed. Not to mention a great bunch of actors who added sincerity to the series. Their professionalism made these series genuine.

All in all, PSI factor will always remain the classical science fiction TV series, which inspired other great project. So its influence is undoubtedly immense.

Still alive in spirit!

Author: Pegapus from Massachusetts
25 March 2001

Psi Factor rode a rough road in its 4 years as a series. Conceived as a series based on the purportedly real organization of the OSIR, the stories were supposedly inspired by real life incidents investigated by the organization.

In its first year, the series used a docudrama format, with two 1/2 hour stories a week. They gave the major facts of a case, and the investigators were mostly there to present the story, and not to be active participants. In a lot of ways, while it was interesting, it was not necessary compelling. In two separate episodes, however, they used a single episode format, and the stories presented offered a great more promise than the rest of the episodes that season.

In order to keep the series alive, the producers changed the format for the second season, killing off a major character in the first season finale, and introduced two new character in the first episode of second season. The new characters were Matt Praeger (Matt Frewer) and Michael Kelly (Michael Moriarty)--one, a flippant criminologist with a background in mechanical engineering, and the other, a conspiracy theorist.

Matt Praeger took over the "A" team of the OSIR: the characters who survived the cast culling from first season: Peter Axon (Barclay Hope); Lindsay Donner (Nancy Ann Sakovich); Anton Hendricks (Colin Fox) and a myriad of secondary characters: Claire Davidson (Soo Garay); Lennox Q. Cooper (Peter Blais); Ray Donahue (Peter MacNeill) and Frank Elsinger (Nigel Bennett).

While the series survived through three additional seasons, more changes were instituted, including fourth season characters going missing, the introduction in fourth season of Mia Stone (Joanne Vannicola) and more intimate storylines [with less investigating team members].

The most disturbing change for many fans was the killing off on first season character, Connor Doyle. Many fans were extremely upset at the character's demise, making him very sorely missed for the rest of the show's run. Producers tried to make up for the loss several times, but logistics prevented them from bringing back Paul Miller until near the end of fourth season, where an episode entitled "Regeneration" brought him back to bring some closure to his character's demise.

Overall, the series had some promise, and while it didn't live up to its full potential, there were some promising episodes, and characters that were interesting and full of energy.

Conner Doyle, Out!

Author: jetbatt from Arkansas
8 August 2004

I have never understood why this show never "made it" with the masses as X-Files did. Being a fan of both shows, I always thought Psi-Factor was the better of the two. I even loved the time slot of 11pm CST on Saturday night. My wife and I always looked forward to watching it. It originally started out as one 1-hour episode with two different case files, essentially, a 2-for-1 episode each week. There were a few minor tweaks in storyline and characters throughout its run of four(?) seasons. But overall, a very interesting and rewarding show to say the least. I was disappointed when the show was cancelled, and now I can hardly wait until the DVD Box sets are released.

This show has come a long way...

Author: (vivideye@vividinfinity.com)
8 June 1999

Since our local station airs Psi-Factor immediately following The X-Files, my acquaintance with this unique Canadian show was inevitable. In the first season, the episodes were split into two separate segments of twenty or so minutes each, and the characters, investigative team members for the O.S.I.R. (Office of Scientific Investigation and Research), did little more than run around muttering techno-babble over their instrumentation. In other words, there wasn't much plot or character development.

By the second season, the format changed to a straight hour with one storyline, which improved things considerably; in my opinion, a show that deals with complex--not to mention, paranormal!--situations such as the ones showcased on Psi-Factor should be at least an hour long! The addition of Matt Frewer to the cast was also a big plus. His familiarity with the sci-fi genre made his settling-in time short and smooth while the character he plays, the off-beat, rebellious Case Manager Matt Praeger, injected some much needed fun and energy into what was a sometimes dour and uptight team. An X-Files-esque conspiracy began to develop as well, hinting at the possibility that perhaps those at the top of the O.S.I.R. echelon weren't simply running a legitimate scientific organization in earnest search of tangible proof of paranormal phenomena, but instead, with sinister governmental and corporate ties, shunt the flow of truth into confidential channels just when Matt and the rest of the team are getting close to something big. Which is where Michael Moriarty enters the picture: as the drunken, chain-smoking conspiracy fanatic with connections, Michael Kelly. He does an excellent job, and adds yet more depth to the show.

Not only do the relatively well-known Frewer and Moriarty shine, Colin Fox as the grandfatherly yet suave Professor Anton Hendricks, Barclay Hope as the protocol-obsessed and rather dishy physicist Peter Axon, Nancy Anne Sakovich as the modelesque, hacking genius, and Soo Garay as a somewhat necrophilic Dr. Claire Davison all give exceptional performances. Secondary characters such as mysterious good guy Case Manager Curtis Rollins (Maurice Dean Wint), dark man at the top Frank Elsinger (Nigel Bennett), and lovable goofball Lennox "L.Q." Cooper (Peter Blais) the team's cryptozoologist, always lend their own unique flavour to each episode they appear in.

With the third season came better effects, even more character development (as well as friction!), and higher quality scripts--which included some more in-depth explorations of the dubious string-pulling up top.

This show has really come a long way! Take a look at an early episode of the X-Files, you're bound to be shocked by the vast difference in quality compared to episodes from the most recent few seasons. I believe we're seeing a similar progression with the fantastic--in every way--Psi-Factor. Way to go Dan Ackroyd and crew!

Great entertainment, don't miss it

Author: anonymous from Johannesburg, South Africa
26 April 1999

This is the best 'Sci-Fi' and 'paranormal' T.V series to have hit the screens. It deals with all paranormal activity and explores more themes than the regular X-Files. The special effects are great, so don't miss it.

started out great

Author: MichaelM24 from California
11 April 2002

I was really amazed at how long this show lasted. Sure, it was only four seasons, but as a show that was constantly (unfairly) dismissed as a lame X-FILES wannabe, the fact it lasted as long as it did is pretty surprising. The first season remains my favorite, with the show's original pseudo-documentary approach to stories inspired by real-life cases investigated by the Office of Scientific Investigation and Research. With it's blue-tinted witness interview footage, documentary-like feel, and two story-per-episode structure, PSI FACTOR offered up some intriguing stories for those interested in the world of the paranormal and supernatural. Paul Miller and Maurice Dean Wint alternated as lead investigators Professors Connor Doyle and Curtis Rollins, respectively, though Doyle proved to be the most popular character of the show, despite his forced departure at the end of the first season. Rollins took a leave of absence midway through the season, but would return for the forth (and final) season. The lovely Nancy Anne Sakovich, Colin Fox, and Barclay Hope rounded out the team of investigators as specialists in a specific field.

The second season saw the inclusion of genre veteran Matt Frewer as Matt Praeger, a more skeptical character who was brought in by the O.S.I.R. as Doyle's replacement, and though he was okay, he still couldn't fully replace Doyle. His character's skepticism brought a feeling of "here we go again" to the show, having to sit through yet another character who doesn't believe in much. That was what was so refreshing about Doyle; he always had an open mind about things and believed in anything until the evidence (if there was any) proved otherwise. Despite the lacking of some elements Frewer's Praeger had in comparison to Doyle, the second season still came out pretty good, with many standout episodes, though the show lost the documentary feel many fans loved from the first season and took on a more straight forward storytelling approach, as fell as focusing the entire hour on one story.

With the third season, the show took a turn for the worst as it made the same mistake X-FILES made: things began to focus more and more on internal conflicts within the O.S.I.R., headed up by Nigel Bennet as Elsigner. It was a shame to see the show make such a change when it had been doing just fine telling entertaining stories about paranormal/supernatural investigation. Instead, characters began having hidden agendas and there was internal conspiracies among the O.S.I.R. high-ranking officials. Following Frewer's (rather interesting) departure, the forth season attempted a return to the feeling of the first two years. Even the blue-tinted interview segments return for one episode, and an attempt to wrap up the mystery surrounding Connor Doyle's departure was featured in one of the season's few best episodes. But by the time the forth season was over, the show was gone, and it was such a shame, because it started out great and ended as a hollow shell of its former self. Much like how it appears X-FILES will end.

Great start, disappointing end

Author: Samantha Alexander from Bulgaria
8 February 2015

This used to be one of my favorite TV shows when I was a kid so recently I decided to re-watch it. It was a huge surprise that there was actually a fourth season which they never aired on Bulgarian TV. Keep in mind that I'm not very critical when it comes to movies and television - I mostly look at the story and character development and not so much the actual acting. I do think though that the real power of PSI Factor was the 1st season and probably most of 2nd and 3rd, though the end of 3rd was a little sloppy. Since enough people already summarized what happens in each season I'll talk mostly about what really disappointed me in the 4th season. Maybe the original '2 stories per episode' format was a little monotonous but that's exactly what caught my eye back in the days - the scientific approach toward the paranormal events and the idea that there's probably a grain of truth somewhere in the scripted drama. As the show moved on it lost a lot of its spirit and there were too many episodes that made me wonder what the hell happened. Half of season 4 felt like a badly written and played comedy although there were few good episodes. But they never showed what happened with Frank Elsinger or Lindsay' boyfriend, Mark which was a big flaw. By the end it's almost only Lindsay and Peter investigating the cases, with Mia joining every now and then. I liked Mia but I have to agree with other people that her character wasn't developed almost at all. Also, I think they made a mistake by removing Connor Doyle at the end of season 1. Although Matt Frewer brought something fresh and new to the series, especially compared to Paul Miller's serious and somewhat straightforward character, I still liked Doyle a lot more. Praeger annoyed the hell out of me most of the time by almost becoming a protagonist and the way he left the show was real lame. Long story short - I enjoyed the personal stories and the conspiracies that came up but they overdid it at times. Still, I think PSI Factor was very good and enjoyable show with nice creepy tones.

And to the person who wrote the user review entitled "P.S.I Factor in Iran" - thanks for spoiling me in one sentence everything about Connor Doyle's appearance in season 4. *grumpy face* I enjoyed the episode despite that but still, your little spoiler killed half the pleasure. Think about it when you write your next review.

Just one of the best shows!

Author: (sylviastel@aol.com) from United States
6 August 2001

I loved this show in the second season. I awoke in the middle of a Sunday night. My first episode was about the identical twins! Unlike other shows, this show spoke to me about the paranormal in our world. While I have had paranormal experiences, it is nice to have a show of our own for a change. Thanks and I wish there was more of the second season. The first season was quite boring but I think it's best season the second season with a great cast including Nigel Bennett as Frank Elsinger, Matt Frewer, Nancy Anne Sakovich as Lindsay, the wonderful Colin Fox as Dr. Anton, Barclay Hope as Peter, etc. The third season was tough because Frewer departed the show in a most unusual way and they added Joanne Vannicola as Dr. Mia Stone who never fully developed in the role. Matt's departure was hard because I think he was the glue that held the show together and made it better. The story lines became dull in the third season and Elsinger was also gone from the series as well with Anton in his role and we see less of Anton. They tried to recover but you just couldn't beat the second season. You just didn't want to miss a second of the middle season. Rare that a show would thrive in the middle rather than the beginning but PSI proved that there is a lot out there that we don't know about.