IMDb > "Profiler" (1996) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Profiler"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Profiler" More at IMDbPro »

A superb tv series

Author: plnpr from Finland
29 July 2000

Although being a long time avid tv series viewer, I can safely guarantee that I'll never watch a tv show so brilliant as Profiler, especially in its first two seasons. By the time the end credits of "Ring Of Fire" (the second episode of the series ever) were rolling, I knew I was hooked big time. The stories were riveting and scary, the characters intriguing and the whole atmosphere of the series just captivating in its uniqueness.

Now, the reason I said the first two seasons in particular are the best television output ever, is because after them the series changed dramatically. And in my opinion, for the definite worse. The concept of the series was totally ruined by the new producers who were not capable of retaining the series' story standards set by the original production team, headed by Kim Moses and Ian Sander. However, I still continued to watch, because I cared deeply for the main character Sam Waters and the other characters as well.

But then, the Profiler world was shattered when it became official that the lead of the series (Sam Waters / Ally Walker) was going to leave. I believe the character of Sam Waters is one of the most positive, inspirational and original female tv characters ever. To see her being replaced by such an offensive, gross stereotype such as the Rachel Burke character was is still something I haven't gotten over.

My advice to anyone who wants to appreciate the real Profiler is to watch the seasons in which Ally Walker stars, and it goes without saying that the first two are the gems of the series. Sam Waters will always be missed.

Spine-chilling AND intelligent

Author: Jose Nuno Seno-Valente from Lisbon, Portugal
24 March 1999

With no need for conspiracy theories, alien abductions or psychic forevision Dr. Samantha Waters manages to do a very fine job indeed. The photography is brilliant, particularly so when we're led into one of Jack-of-all-Trades' many lairs. The night scenes, too are shot in such a distinctive way that you couldn't possibly mistake this brilliant series for any other currently "out there". This may not yet be a 'realistic' portrayal of life in the bureau, but at least everyone concerned has a field of expertise and seems to excel in it.

Furthermore, this one is a genuine ensemble piece. Ally Walker is undoubtedly the star here, but all the other major characters can easily be defined as being in leading roles themselves.

There IS intelligent life in television after all. Just check out 'Profiler' and take the plunge...

One of the best crime TV series

Author: LML from Portugal
9 May 2005

This TV series is one of the best an original shows ever done for television. I can even say that the actual series like CSI, CSI Miami, CSI Ney York, and other like that, were born from this one.

Great storytelling, great performances, lots of suspense, mystery... What more can we want from this type of TV series? For me is for sure, 10 stars in 10 stars!!! Who hasn't seen it yet, do yourselves a favor and go rent it, buy the DVDs, watch re-runs on television, whatever you need and can, to see all the four seasons (83 episodes, beginning September 21st, 1996 and ending Jully 1st, 2000).

Have great fun!

A good and original series

Author: stamper from The Netherlands
20 August 2000

I started tuning into this show when Samantha (Ally Walker) was still the lead and pretty soon I was hooked. I think it was great. The stories were always interesting, because always there was some new psycho with a different reason and a different twist than the last one. Also there was the whole Jack-of-all-trades- background which gave Samantha and the whole series an immense driving force. After Samantha left the VCTF in came a new profiler, called Rachel (Jamie Luner), who is actually the reason why I'm writing this, for changing lead's often result in a lessening of the quality of a series. First I want to say that Rachel is kind of the same as Samantha because she has the sixth sense. But she brings a whole other character on the tube which I had to start to like and eventually I did, although she can never replace Ally Walker whom I still find much better on screen, plus I liked Walker's character much better. Soon after the replacement of Walker the creators or the writers must have felt what I felt while watching, that without Samantha and Jack-of-all-trades a huge driving force was gone and so they created a new one, ex detective Joel Marks, I don't know about other people, but I like the way they inserted him into the continuous part of the show.

As for the others, they are still great, they were great with Sam and now are on Rachel's side. You have the sarcastic forensic Grace (Roma Maffia) the friendly, in-control and always know what to do Bailey (Robert Davi) and George (Peter Frechette) and of course John (Julian McMahon). Those two last ones are actually the only persons who have really changed on the tube since Samantha lived. I always found that George and Samantha were very good together and I miss that and now she's gone we have a lot more of McMahon with Luner. Not that McMahon and Walker were bad together, but George has been pushed into the background a bit, I feel. Still a good show though, because it still is intelligent and original, because as a viewer you always tend to try a bit of profiling yourself.

With Ally Walker GREAT

Without her (still) good

Best TV series I have seen

Author: (sejrolsen@jubiipost.dk) from Copenhagen, Denmark
13 June 2000

This is the best TV series I have seen. It's got good acting, GREAT plot (the whole Jack-of-All-Trades plot in the background was brilliant), and even after Sam Waters retired the idea is still very, very captivating.

The part I like best (and which I also find most scary), is all the different motives/backgrounds the perpetrators have. I also appreciate that the main characters have a life besides the VCTF, and that they develop throughout the series.

All in all, I can't point to anything about the series I don't like. It's a must-see.

A good and original series

Author: stamper from The Netherlands
20 August 2000

With Ally Walker GREAT

Without her (still) good

Profiler is DOA

Author: s k from United States
27 December 2013

Once you remove all of the graphic, sensationalistic violence and gratuitous eye candy, Profiler is really nothing more than a silly little soap opera cop show permeated with melodramatic acting, nonsensical/meandering plots, more psycho-babble than an Oprah marathon, and lots of hair flipping by Ally Walker. I'm not sure what this show really sets out to achieve, but that's okay, neither does the show itself. Granted, it does try to expose some X-Files type government evils, but unfortunately that all gets lost in the proverbial sauce.

Profiler falls many many rungs below The Pretender and the British alternative, Cracker. It lacks the ingenious vengeance plots of The Pretender as well as the earthy realism of Cracker. And unlike many fans of the show I believe the problems begin long before seasons 3 and 4, although most of season 4 -- excluding Ep1, Ep2, and the Pretender crossover episodes -- is a total train wreck.

Among its many shortcomings this show lacks fundamental believability. Characters come and go; story arcs simply vanish into thin air; shows are aired out of sync due to "sweeps week" ratings considerations, and ideas that start out interesting soon become onion paper thin after just a few episodes. This series isn't really all that "dark"; what it IS is insufferably DULL.

The acting is wooden and one-dimensional. The internal back stories don't hold much water -- or interest. And because of Robert Davi's Neanderthal/Joe Friday butchering of his role, Profiler more times than not hits with about as much subtlety as a Sybian set on "High" (but with a LOT less pleasure). And you wanna talk about depravity? Look at Davi's hair for a while; you're not hallucinating when you keep getting flashbacks to Eddie Munster. Davi is clearly the weak link in this series. His boorish, stale testosterone act gets old very quickly until his presence grates upon one's nerves like nails grating against a blackboard (very long, very sharp, very annoying nails).

Then there's Ally Walker's performance. She has a repertoire of about 3 "looks", and her character's insights/flashes wouldn't significantly advance a Psych 101 textbook. It gets even worse once her replacement, Jamie Luner, takes over. Her non-stop mono-tribes leave one breathless; but not in a good way. Beyond that she's like a poor man's Jennifer Anniston as far as eye candy goes. Erica Gimpel's role as Angel is dubious/questionable at best. And Julian McMahon would be a better fit for some local neighborhood theater troupe than the prime time spotlight. (He's actually best suited for one of those Ditka/da Bears/Discount Daaaable Check commercials.) And Roma Maffia is...well...Roma Maffia (She has a voice that would blend in perfectly with The Simpsons).

What else is there to say about Profiler? Not much. It's way over-hyped. Typical MSM hackneyed liberal agenda fare. And frankly, I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did.

liked then did not like

Author: jtsjtssmokey from Canada
18 January 2013

profiler was good entertainment with great actresses/actors, the 1st 2 seasons love th way the characters grew together an cared about one another,with the 3rd feeling like they were family not just friends but was not impressed with the ending... huh....what where uh ya...not one of them could come up with a better ending that at least had them have lives i think a 4th grader could have ended it better...to me it seems they take good shows off TV an replace with nonsense, an yes the 4th season could have been better an maybe a 5th+ season(s) would have allowed them to improve the revamped show but nope yank too bad 4 u out there who liked it,,,well my 2 cents worth hope any 1 who reads this has a wonderful day

It started off well

Author: mikko-sandt from Finland
18 May 2005

When Profiler first got aired it felt fresh - its fast pace and neat cuts fitted well for the needs of the new MTV generation. In many ways Profiler made room for all those psychic thrillers that followed and series like "C.S.I.". The characters were well written and their separate story lines and personalities all had something to offer. The mystery surrounding Jack's identity (whose face was never revealed until the 3rd season) kept people hooked. The writes really managed to make Jack appear dangerous - you never knew what he'd do next. The cliffhanger in the end of the second season was powerful - no one could wait for the 3rd season...

Then the writers, the producers and the directors changed and the show started to go downhill. The show had no dynamic anymore. Everything went wrong - the new mythology storyline surrounding Jack's trial was uninteresting. The writers made a poor effort in trying to convince the audience that the person they caught in the beginning of the season was the real Jack - but who believed them? The writers never did their homework - one plot-hole followed another and the standard "nutjob of the week" episodes were uninteresting and boring.

The fourth season came and couldn't save the show either (except the great "Reunion 1 & 2" episodes where both Jack - played by the superb Dennis Christopher - & Sam appeared for the last time). Jamie Luner - the new profiler - wasn't really any worse than Ally Walker - it was just the writers who were unable to write anything good for her (and the same happened with Walker during the 3rd season). The new conflicts surrounding the lives of the main characters - George's drug addiction, the issues with Rachel's brother, romances etc. all felt forced and artificial.

During Profiler's excellent seasons 1 & 2 the show was at times even better than my favorite show The X-Files. It's hard to understand how the new production team managed to ruin everything good the show had and offer nothing interesting in return.

The first two seasons are without a doubt worth having on DVD. Once you have them I suggest that you pretend that the last two seasons never existed.

An intelligently-made great film series ,worth seeing

Author: boyan-denizov (denizov@abv.bg) from Russe, Bulgaria
19 March 2003

I dislike TV series in general but this one is something really DIFFERENT!What attracts me is the fact that the most important thing in the series is PSYCHOLOGY.And this is exactly what today's films very often lack.The group tries to probe the minds of criminals-every one of them so different from the rest.This is hundred times more intriguing and scary than 20 action films put together.The plots are BELIEVABLE,the characters are life-like:with their problems,peculiarities,weaknesses,failures.Also I like the intelligent way in which the leading character was replaced by another actress(not the way they do these things in"the bold and the beautiful"for example.) What i lack is a list of all the episodes,so if anyone would be so kind to write them I would be grateful.