IMDb > "Poltergeist: The Legacy" (1996) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Poltergeist: The Legacy"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Poltergeist: The Legacy" More at IMDbPro »

X-files level

Author: sixpaws67 from United States
3 December 2007

This is the only supernatural show that even ever compared to the X-Files level. It is brilliant. I curse whoever canceled it.

The ideas are novel, handled well, have splendidly filmed "shadowbacks" and the cast works very well together.

The idea of a privileged society of "secrecy" and living in an ancient and beautiful castle on a private island appeals to the kid in us and sets us up for wanting to be scared. Then they do it! And then you find yourself wanting to live in the castle too.

The cast feels like family. The place is warm and cozy, with fog and fireplaces. All of this artfully counteracts with the cold and decidedly non-cozy effects of demonic appearances.

The team investigates outside forces and forces within their own walls, some following them home.

Buy all 4 seasons of this if you can.

The Greatest Series That May Never See DVD

Author: aeanos from United States
22 May 2005

This series, which ended in 1996 is still one of the greatest untapped potential for mass sales and marketing out there. Numerous fan sites still abound across the net, as do writers of fan fiction. You can still even catch reruns of the series on SciFi channel from time to time in the wee hours of the morning, nine years past the death of the show itself, and yet it has never been released on DVD. "Why?", you may be asking yourself. Simply put, nobody knows! For years now the die hard fans of the show have stayed up, weak and blurry eyed to catch a glimpse of the once great show as it slithers into the latest hours of the programming schedule, along side the other once great show "Friday the 13th, the series", yet it has never seemed to dawn on any of the shows producers to actually take advantage of it's marketing potential. So, while nobody runs out to buy such lame fare as "The American Hero", or one of the other equally ill conceived television series from the 70's and 80's, legions of fans still sit back and wait, hoping to glimpse the awesome spectacle known as "Poltergiest: The Legacy, The Boxed Set".

A secret organization devoted to destroying evil

Author: splatteredbride from Newport
19 June 2004

This was one of the best television shows ever! The fact that it hasn't been released to DVD is insane! I seriously urge the fans of this show to contact MGM, and explain why it should be released, and hopefully it'll spur a reaction. This show provides everything- suspense, horror, drama, scifi, and even the occasional romance. The characters themselves are very believable, and the creators couldn't have picked better actors and actresses for the parts. I myself am very fond of Rachel Corrigan- she brings to the screen the art of being a professional, but then gets drawn into the paranormal by finding out that her daughter is a witch! This is a show that is easy to get hooked on. ((( Please please put it on DVD!!!)))

Gotta Love it! :)

Author: Jami (jamileigh17) from Texas
9 September 2002

I've been a fan of this show for many years now. It's online communities are still strong, even though it has been many years since they canceled the show. Check out the yahoo.com groups, there are at least 40 groups devoted to this show. New fan fictions continue to be uploaded. :)

As far as the relationships in the show go, same thing happens to the men. It seems every other episode has the girl Nick or Derek likes being some evil creature, or posessed by an evil creature! Though I have to admit, Nick fighting a sucubus is always one of my favorite things to watch! ;)

The one major gripe I have with it is the way Scifi handled Kat's involvement with Witchcraft. It was totally inaccurate, and as a Wiccan, I find it comic and almost stupid. Especially in Rachel's "Banishing" of Miranda. It would only have worked if she believed it would, which she didn't! It was purile, and very foolish. It made it seem like all you had to do to work magick was to throw your hands in the air and recite a poem.

Other than that, I love the show, and even though there is no longer any hope for new episodes due to the actors distancing themselves from the fans due to an unfortunate misunderstanding with one of them, it remains one of the best shows I've ever had the pleasure to watch. :)

Totally worth it

Author: Channatothemax from United States
20 April 2010

I just recently discovered this show through buying the season one DVD (the only season so far to have been released). I really liked it.

I like the cast a lot, Nick was cute, although sometimes he had a bit of a personality problem, once you find out about his past though (everything seemed to have happened to him), you understand better why he sometimes acts like a jerk.

And Philip, I loved his Irish accent, I was sad when he left for a while, he represented the good kind of catholic priest.

Alex is actually my favorite character, she had the sight, and was smart, and strong, and kind.

My second favorite character would have to be Kat. She was so cute, and a very talented child star to boot. Whenever the storyline revolved around her I was extra interested. She had the sight too.

Rachel was mother to Kat, and tried to be mother to all, as well as being a psychiatrist. She starts out as a skeptic, but gets sucked in because of her daughters abilities as well as other things. She ends up having a very interesting history and family tree.

And Derek was the sometimes moody, mysterious, sometimes frustrating, leader of the house. He knows more about evil than anybody else in the house, and he is always trying to balance out defeating the evil with protecting those under his leadership.

I also love the house, I think it's cool they all live there together, except for Rachel because of Kat. Perfect creepy/cozy atmosphere.

The stories are so fun, they have the perfect amount of supernatural elements, mixed in with investigation, and personal drama. It's similar to the x-files except there are no aliens, and everyone in the legacy believes. I actually like PTL better, or at least they are tied in affection for me.

I really hope to find the rest of the series somehow, because season one was so awesome!

One of the best shows ever!

Author: jami-2 from texas
15 April 2000

PTL is one of the most exiting shows ever! With an all star cast like Helen Shaver(who has starred in many movies as well as tv shows) Alexandra Purvis, (who is is the upcoming theatrical release Marine life) and many others, plus special effects and story lines that draw you into their world, it's no wonder there are over 1000 sites devoted enitrely to it! It airs monday-friday on SciFi channel @11eastern, and saturdays on some syndications. Though the show aired it's last episode, there are campains to get it back into production (And we all know what happened when StarTrek fans did that!) :)Watch it and you will understand.

worth checking out

Author: trashgang from Midian
18 March 2013

I noticed this release a few years ago but over here only the first season was released so you had to find it at a thrift store or a flea market and that's exactly were I found it. And I must say that I enjoyed it.

Even as all episodes had the same effects somehow it still worked out fine. You had the flashbacks by Derek Rayne, Ph.D (Derek De Lint) and the extra lighting combined with a lot of wind to get rid off the poltergeist and that's the basic of every episode but it also contains strong story lines and that's the reason why it works.

Of course it had to compete against The X-Files which was a lot better but being the underdog it is worth checking out. It's about the supernatural but without the science-fiction like we have seen in the X-files, maybe you can compare it with another unreleased series in Europe, Friday The 13th (1987-1990).

Gore 0/5 Nudity 0/5 Effects 2,5/5 Story 3/5 Comedy 0/5

Interesting, but...

Author: dolls from California
2 February 1999

Now, I watch Poltergeist: The Legacy all the time. I like it. But sometimes the writing/characters are a bit off. For example, almost every other villain of the week is after one of the female characters. And, almost every time, the girl falls for him. This show has so many good female leads: a delightful Helen Shaver as a mother/skeptic/psychiatrist; Robbi Chong as a archeologist/black/woman/psychic; and, currently, Kristin Lehman as a brilliant woman trying to be a member of the Legacy without letting it take over her life. All these WONDERFUL female leads and they have to resort to evil dudes of the week to bring out the passion in these characters. Would it be too much to ask that they got a healthy relationship once in awhile with a decent guy, or are they going to mimic Dana Scully in the "My Work is My Life" department? (I certainly hope not!)

Except for some flaws, okay

Author: shinsrevenge from Germany
23 August 2011

Poltergeist - The Legacy is a mystery series I watched for the first time, when I was very young. It took many years to come across it again and I loved it the second time around just as much as the first.

It is stated as horror/sci-fi, but to my opinion, most of the episodes revolve rather around mystery, since there aren't much horrific scenes. Some episodes (like "The irish jug" 3:11) are even funny. Even though in it's best times, it provides an eerie atmosphere, which is just great, the series unfortunately has about 4 episodes, which aren't only filler, but they are merely chopped together from earlier parts. I don't mind flashbacks, but when 2/3 (or even more) of an episode consist of them, this gets almost annoying.

Most of the characters I really liked. They growed on to me. Especially Derek with his wisdom and experience and the spirited Nick with his Charme. Rachel and Alex were okay. I somehow disliked Kristin. Katt was nice in the first episodes with her, but later the disputes between her and Rachel often got to my nerves. The whole subplot of Katt and her magic seemed out of place for me. When I'm watching a series about a group of adults fighting dreadful fiends, I'm not that interested in a kid's adventure with its little friends.

Apropos fiends, some of their enemies come back from hell way to often. After watching them the nth time, when they fight that Horton again, you'll understand what I mean.

However, altogether "Poltergeist" is a good series, even though there are better ones like "Outer Limits". 7/10

Brother's Keeper: A Must For Every Video Library

Author: Bridget Brown from United States
26 June 1999

I am not that much into horror shows, but I believe "Poltergeist: The Legacy" is a show that will get you hooked. When I saw "Brother's Keeper" on a USA marathon, I got hooked watching as The Undertaker (Soul Chaser) was on Jimmy's tail. (Nick's brother) All in all it was a good show, despite the fact that 'Taker died. The bottom line is... it's a good show, with twisting storylines that even I can't come up with!