IMDb > "Pearl" (1996) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Pearl" More at IMDbPro »

The lost post-Cheers success story

Author: slouchingpoet from USA
8 August 2006

It's ironic that two of the very rare sort of American sit-coms not to condescend to the audience both came from ex-Cheers actors. One, of course, is Fraiser, the other was the short lived Pearl. The show was perfect for all the actors involved. Rhea Perlman has never really found the right vehicle for her acting outside of Cheers and Pearl. Malcolm McDowell was pitch perfect for the first time since A Clockwork Orange.

Anyway, Pearl got short changed early on. Earlier even than the equally brilliant but more difficult to love John Larroquette Show. If you missed either of those shows when they were first on the air, then you've probably missed them for good. If there's a lesson to be learned, if you're a TV exec don't ever target an audience with any kind of IQ if you hope to have success.

Pearl-y show

Author: jelena.kilpiainen from Finland
30 December 2005

I've never been a huge fan of comedy with the exception of shows starring Stephen Fry & Hugh Laurie. American shows like "Friends" are a complete turn-off for me, that's why it's so surprising that "Pearl" is probably the best sitcom I've ever seen. It actually made me laugh which isn't that easy... especially not in case of a pre-laughed show like "Pearl" is.

I couldn't praise enough the excellent acting of Malcolm McDowell - this was the program which made me love him. I also liked the rest of the main cast, especially Lucy Alexis Liu (I've had crushes on teachers so I know what it was like to be "Amy"), Carol Kane and Kevin Corrigan.

I really recommend this program to everyone, it's great fun to watch and the actors really give their best in this one!

Superb Acting

Author: Gene Carmona (genebee@musclemail.com)
11 October 1999

For me when I saw the commercials previewing it before it's premiere I had to see this show, well I saw and I liked.

Rhea does superb top-notch acting as well as Carol, Malcolm, and the rest of the crew.

When this show got bumped I was mad, so mad that i wrote CBS and told them what a great show they just let slip through the cracks.

On one more note this has to be the second best t.v. series (right behind Cheers) that Rhea has starred in my words.