IMDb > "Nash Bridges" (1996) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Nash Bridges"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Nash Bridges" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Great Show!

Author: SonicStuart from Kansas City, MO
1 June 2004

Nash Bridges was cool mystery show! Nash Bridges (Don Johnson) is a detective fights crime on the streets of San Francisco while driving around in his yellow 70ish Plymouth Hemi Barracuda. He's the typical super-cop on the beat, who always wins in the end. Unfortunately, his personal relationships leave much to be desired. He has two ex-wives, a 16-year-old daughter needing a lot of supervision, and a father with Alzheimer's disease who keeps getting kicked out of retirement homes and dropping by to visit. My mom and my mom's boyfriend introduced me to this show and I thought it was neat. I remember when I first watched this show on USA Network which the network where the repeats were shown while the new episodes were on CBS. They should release the complete series of this show out on to DVD. Before Don Johnson did this show he did the famous TV-show Miami Vice! You might like this show if you like CSI: Miami, Dark Angel or 90210.

User Rating: 10/10

BOTTOM LINE: EXCELLENT!

The first 5 seasons were great with great cast members.

Author: leelulori from United States
6 March 2004

When Season 6 introduced Inspectors Antwon Babcock(Cress Williams) and Rachel McCabe(Wendy Moniz), the show tanked. There was no chemistry between Antwon & Harvey and Rachel didn't even belong in the series. There was a real friendship between Harvey & Evan; which, when lost caused the show to lose an exceptional link to viewers. Nash & Joe have the same chemistry that Harvey & Evan had. No one would even think of killing off Joe. Cassity becoming a member of the SFPD was the beginning of the end. Rachel's addition sealed it. I loved the show and certainly San Francisco was shown to the be beautiful city that it is. Nash's ability to solve crimes & know everything instantly was a little over the top, but the show could have remained one of the great ones had the supporting cast been allowed to shine. What made it great in the beginning was slowly killed off.

What else can I say, THE BEST SHOW THAT THERE EVER WAS!

Author: paulie267 from Porterville, CA
14 September 2004

What else can it be. Don Johnson/Cheech Marin had what is by far the best chemistry on the show that makes it so watchable. One other note that I would like to say is that since I used to live in the Bay area during the duration of the series, I always wanted to be an extra on the series. I tried but never really made it through. The only thing that I would say is that since SF was a great place wher Nash and his Sexy '70-'71 Plymouth Baracuda (my favorite classic car!) made it's way onto TV I would really like to see this show go into DVD one of these days since this is by far one of the best crime dramas in history in simialar to The Price is Right of Cop Shows! The only thing I have to say is that since the show got canned back in May '01 I really wanted to see the ending in it's right of way but since the show was getting too expensive I thought six seasons is one hell of a run to begin with! Also the locations during the shows 6 seasons with the Routunda, (season 1 and some of season 2) the Hyde St. Pier (seasons 2-4) and the Embarcadero shelter (seasons 4-6) I would have to pick the Hyde St. Pier as the favorite SIU offices!

Rating 10/10 One of the best shows on TV next to NYPD Blue which is sadly leaving after this season (2004-05) 12th season ending shows!

great characters rescue a standard crime drama

Author: jefu
29 April 2002

Nash Bridges is a more or less routine crime/police drama series, the usual suspects, the usual plots and so on. Its nowhere near as good as the original "Spenser" series, nor as flashy as "Miami Vice".

What rescues this series from mediocrity is the cast. Don Johnson - as Nash Bridges - is just ok as the Infinitely Wise and Wonderful cop who Solves Every Case in the last five minutes of the show. The one human touch to Bridges is his oddly busy but not overly successful love life.

What makes this show fun, and very worth watching is the supporting cast - in particular Cheech Marin (playing Joe Dominguez) as the sidekick. But unlike many sidekicks, he is a real character - played for humour, it is true, but not just one dimensional. It may not sound right to say that Johnson and Marin have "chemistry" on screen, but they very definitely do. This adds a nice quirky touch when they are repeatedly taken for a gay couple (in odd situations) by a gay man.

Toss in a few more excellent supporting actors - especially Jeff Perry as Harvey Leek, a detective and James Gammon as Bridges father (though the continuity on his Alzheimers is seriously missed) and the show really starts to work.

The finishing touches are added in by some continuing plot elements - Mr Woody the racehorse somehow acquired by Domingues and Bridges father, Dominguez' marriage to Inger - a swedish woman - is romantic and successful - but with both sides seeing the others problems. Leek's fascination with the Grateful Dead. Angel the Angel. The ghostly disco music in the police station (which is in a boat that was evidently used for raves). Dominguez' schemes for making money.

The show manages to maintain a sense that the people involved had fun, and dont take it too seriously. One fun episode paired Don Johnson with his partner in Miami vice (Philip Michael Thomas) and Cheech Marin with his ex-comedy partner (Tommy Chong) and a wonderful scene takes place in a marijuana buyers club - playing off the "Cheech and Chong" drug themes.

In another episode, Dominguez directs traffic in grand style on Halloween to the sound of the Village People song "YMCA" (all the funnier if you've seen people dancing to the song and making the letters "Y", "M", "C" "A" as they dance).

If you want serious crime drama - go for something else - if you want a relaxed, easy to watch show with the requisite Car Chases, Guns and Nasties and with fun characters, tongue in cheek humour and a cast that rarely lets you down, this is made to order.

Brilliant.

Author: MichaelJohnMartin from Lurgan, Northern Ireland
22 July 2003

One of my favourite shows on television,I enjoy it immensely. Don Johnson is at his best,and in his element,in this type of show.His back up in the series,Harvey,Evan and Joe are very likeable as well.And the little side stories with Joe usually getting himself into all manner of situations provide some welcome light relief to the episodes.A shame really that here(in the UK)the channels do not deem it worthy of an earlier time slot,the episode I just watched started at 12.35am,a little late perhaps for a work night,but all in all,an excellent show.

Terrific cop show; perfect blend of humor & drama...

Author: atrac from United States
29 September 2004

"Nash Bridges" really surprised me. I wasn't expecting much from it. I was hooked immediately though and found it quite humorous with some good actions scenes.

One thing for sure, the episode where Nash and Joe pretend to be gay was HILARIOUS. I was literally "rolling on the floor laughing" (cliche, I know -- but my carpet and I met in a strange way that evening).

***SPOILER****

Also, the episode where Kelly Hu's character got killed made me cry really hard. It was handled extremely well and it got me "right there." I always liked her character and although it was cool to see her move on to Sammo Hung's show (the actress, not the character), it really hit me hard. I guess it was such a shock because of the way it happened. You don't expect to see a main character get murdered. Don Johnson handled his scenes involving her death *extremely* well. A terrific episode in an already outstanding series!

Best series in the whole world

Author: Djordje Jovanovic from Yugoslavia
6 May 2006

Nash Bridges is one of the best series I ever watch.When first season starts I don't like it but...when I watch next episode and next episode I said to myself "I really like this series"I really like Nash Bridges because it's high action drama about two best cop in San Francisco.Cheech Marin as Joe Dominguez is one of the best comedian in the world and Don Johnson as Nash Bridges is very smart man who knows everything.We must say something about Jeff Pery who like his bes music group "Greatfull Dead" and old Nick as James Gammon.San Francisco is the best place to record this show...hide street,cable cars,Alcatraz island and other thinks in pleasant San Francisco California.It's to bad because of six season Nash Bridges it's small!But this is the best rating series in America..

great show bubba

Author: dx4lifexpac (dx4lifexpac@aol.com) from new york
9 December 2000

Nash Bridges is a great show, it's about a special investigation unit, Nash Bridges has great action, comedy, and drama. it's great watching Don Johnson as Nash and Cheech Marin as Joe, Joe always gets himself into funny things, it's also fun watching Joe and Nick (James Gammon) come with crazy ideas to strike it rich, Nick plays Nash Bridges Dad, Christian Meoli who plays Boz Bishop is very funny but he only does maybe 6 shows a season, the best ones on the show are Jeff Perry who plays Harvey leek and his partner Jaime p. Gomez who played Evan Cortez but he was killed off at the end of season 5, but he lives on in repeats on Usa network, now in season 6 there are two new people cress Williams who plays Antwon Babcock, he is Harvey's new partner and also new Wendy Moniz who plays Rachel both of the new characters are great, i thought the show might not be as good without Evan (Jaime p. Gomez) but it's still good but not the same, the whole cast is great but Jeff Perry stands out Harvey is the best one on the show, and everynow and then Stone Cold Steve Austin is on the show playing Jake Cage, and just like the way he is great in the wwf he is great on Nash Bridges, so as Nash would say Bubba watch this show it's really good

Worth Watching

Author: ajwebb from Columbus, Ohio
30 August 2003

Nash Bridges is, in many ways, like Miami Vice. Nash Bridges is somewhat like a new Miami Vice, with new suits, a cell phone and more technology. It is a great series, although sometimes has boring episodes. I tape it every time it comes on, and I do recommend it to anyone who wants a good action/somewhat drama series. I give it a 9.5/10 star rating.

Wish the reruns were on in the evening

Author: HenryStinson from United States
23 May 2006

Characters are great and for the most part characters and acting are very believable. It's great the way the side story lines with the various characters thread from show to show. Very creative, and a lot of fun to watch. I often am late to work just so I can watch both morning reruns. I'd love to be able to watch it late at night (like 10 and 11 PM). I'm a fan of Law and Order: CI (the original with Vincent D'Onofrio and Kathryn Erbe), so I wouldn't want that show shoved aside for Nash Bridges.

BTW, I'm also a huge Monk fan -- another San Francisco detective. Funny, huh?

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]