IMDb > "Millennium" (1996/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Millennium"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Millennium" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

An Underrated Gem.

Author: eamon-hennedy (eamon.hennedy@talk21.com) from Co Down, Northern Ireland
27 October 2003

Singers or rock bands will release an album. It may be their first and sometimes that album can be very successful selling copies by the bucketful and then when it comes to their follow up they disappoint. Sometimes the quality of that second album is higher than the first, but the case is the mainstream are either disappointed, or not interested. So it is with Chris Carter's Millennium, the second series he made after the mammoth success of his breakthrough series The X Files. Whereas The X Files is about how their is light at the end of that dark journey you may journey, Millennium was always about the opposite and thus the tone of the show was set and it may have led to the disappointing ratings and a sudden cancellation after three seasons. This is a shame as this was undeniably one of the finest television dramas ever created, giving us one of the best central performances in a television drama series and giving us sixty odd episodes of thought provoking if very disturbing drama.

Whereas The X Files gave the audience a quirky set of characters in the shape of Fox Mulder and Dana Scully, Millennium gave us the dark, secluded and world weary Frank Black, a man who investigated cases of serial killer using a unique, almost clairvoyant like ability to see what the killer was able to see. This set up was fantastic and like The X Files paved the way for over twenty mini movies a season. The stories were frequently clever and very well told and the main performance from Lancer Henriksen, the most underrated actor if there ever was one, was a sight to watch. The series was frequently disturbing, offering some of the most graphic images on mainstream network American television, the stories were hard hitting (incest and child molestation was dealt with at one point) and even the dip into X Files-esque waters worked as the paranormal element usually had something to do with the end of the world thus sometimes facilitating an explanation as to why so many bad things were happening in the world all of a sudden.

The thing was viewers were not prepared for this in light of The X Files. While both shows had the same creator and the same writers and directors, there was no break from the inherent darkness of Millennium. The X Files would counter balance the conspiracy and horror stories with episodes of light humor and whimsical comedy, but here there was not. Even the odd comedy episode had darker elements. A cross over with The X Files would see the character of Jose Chung appear. He was dead at the end of the episode he appeared in. It was story developments like these that let one know that this was not show of optimism and hope, even if the title sequence tried to tell us that. Nope, Millennium was dark, hideous and violent, but it was still a great show that was never given much of a chance. The critics outside of horror and science fiction circles didn't like it and audiences found it too much, but there was denying that this was a superb show.

Like The X Files the visual level and production values were superb and the moody Vancouver locations worked a charm, whilst there was rarely ever a bad episode. Here's hoping time will catch up with this fantastic show and that maybe some day an audience will appreciate it fully.

MILLENNIUM: season one

Author: matta2k from Toledo, OH
20 July 2004

Very few people understood what Millennium was about, but for its fans, it remains a very stirring drama. A lot of critics misrepresent Millennium as some kind of gloomy police drama, when the cases that Frank Black investigated during the course of season one were merely vehicles in which to explore the grayer shades of humanity.

Only about half of the twenty-two episodes during the first season were concerned with just serial killers--far less than critics like to think. Look closer and you'll see that episodes like the pilot, "Gehenna," "The Judge" and "Sacrament" had supernatural/apocalyptic elements to them, which make them far less mundane than some might initially think. ("Gehenna" even had visuals of a winged beast, or Legion as the fans dubbed him, descending from the sky.)

Regarding those other, say, eight or ten serial killer episodes, Millennium addressed the big questions: What made these men? What can society do to stop them? You won't hear the investigators on CSI or Law & Order ask these questions, unless in a glib, sarcastic way. Those programs are all about police procedure. To me, *that's* depressing. When Frank looked 'into the minds of killers,' he was trying to understand them, sometimes even sympathize with them. These killers weren't evil people. They were tragic people that did evil things--most were victims themselves. Millennium gave human faces to ghastly perpetrators.

The latter season one episodes stray from the serial killer motifs. "Force Majeure" involves a man in an iron lung who preaches about a planetary alignment that will have cataclysmic consequences. "Walkabout" sheds light on Frank's past when he participates in a clinical trial for an experimental drug that might suppress his 'gift.' "Maranatha" takes Frank to the Russian district of New York in pursuit of Yaponchik, who may be the Antichrist. And then there's the stunning "Lamentation"/"Powers, Principalities, Thrones and Dominions" two-parter, in which devils and angels aren't merely a concept, but physically exist alongside Frank and his colleagues!

Millennium also isn't relentlessly gory or downbeat. Look at the endings of "The Well Worn Lock," "Powers," or especially "The Wild and the Innocent"--still one of the most uplifting hours of television I've seen to this day. A lot of the show's early work is about criminals taking responsibility, victims learning to heal, and how Frank, and his family and friends, come to an understanding about Why Bad Things Happen. Don't be so dark, critics. Millennium--seriously!--is not.

Season two of Millennium is nothing short of brilliant, but the foundation is laid here. Strong scripts, talented actors, exceptional production values, and timeless themes (the tolls of work on family life, humanity's struggle with evil, temptations of the Devil, faith and religion, corruptions in governments and organizations) make all three seasons of Millennium a MUST BUY. Don't let mistaken critics, or lackluster DVD sets (a show this rich needs more commentary!), dissuade you from owning one of the best shows of the 90's, nay, of all time.

I Loved This Series

Author: Carrigon from United States
9 July 2001

I don't think I've ever fully gotten over the cancellation of Millennium. Re-watching the old episodes on the FX channel, you can really see how well written most of the episodes were and the characters were all memorable and likeable. Right up until the very last season, where I personally feel the writers ruined the series. The two episodes, the cliffhanger before the last season, were incredibly well done, I'd even say masterpieces, titled "The Four Horsemen" and "The Time is Now". But they missed the point when they came back the next season. We were expecting to see the series go in the direction of Frank and his daughter trying to survive a holocaust and instead they copped out. We could have had an amazing survival story there. What a shame. But, I highly recommend watching the reruns of this series if you can. It really was so much better than the X Files. And it will forever be sorely missed. The character of Frank Black did guest star on an X File episode after Millennium was cancelled and I'm still hoping for at least one more appearance. It's so hard to let a good character go forever.

Brilliant

Author: JFMulder
13 January 1999

This is undoubtedly one of the most intelligent and thought-provoking series that has come out in a long time. If we were able give it a vote, I would give it a 10/10.

One of the greatest artistic works of the 20th century.

Author: Scott Spear from Tell City, indiana
14 August 1999

Fantastic mixture of drama, suspense, action, horror, and mystery. Raises the bar of Television to a whole new level. The masterful combination no-tell-all driven plot and detailed personal characters creates a canvas on which great things have come. The dark photography and surreal flash scenes surpass current mystery and horror series. The detailed historical and mythological connections interwoven within the story line is commendable. This series does not rely on a physical monster, but the monster within everyone. The horror of pure evil and the evils of mankind. The music of Mark Snow is an excellent backdrop to this type of setting. His use of synthesized strings in thick chords compliments the dark visions of the drama. Snow also uses sounds and alterations of the human voice to set effect. The use of a solo violin in the main title and though out the series reflects the struggle of a single man (Frank Black) against the undeviating force of evil in the world. Together, Carter's vision for a dark, artistic drama has come to life.

Typically Ironic

Author: Rick Blaine from London
1 October 2004

I remember when word came about the new series X Files. It was going to be big, everyone said, and it was. I never liked it. Not once. Then Carter comes along and tries to make a second success, and this time, for me, he hits it right.

Call it what you want - it may be the way they filmed it, the way they paced it, Lance Henriksen's presence (he's exceptionally good in this one) - but it was very, very good.

And it's typically ironic that some of the better shows such as this one don't get the staying power and the studio backing that the more mediocre shows get. But that's life. C'est la vie. It's a shame it disappeared as quickly as it did, but if it didn't it might not be remembered so fondly today.

Highly recommended - very gripping, very well made series. Whether or not you're an X Files fan doesn't matter: odds are you will like this one a lot.

Glad I am not alone

Author: Dfredsparks from Dallas, TX
20 November 2002

in having been impacted so profoundly by this television series. I so looked forward to Friday night and hadnt watched television on Friday night since Dukes of Hazzard and Incredible Hulk was in the lineup. Millenium was awesome television and what more can I say about Lance H. Amazing actor playing the role he was born to play. Yes, season 3 was definitely weaker but that doesnt prevent this from being one of the best shows on television. I couldnt believe how unceremoniously the show was taken off of the air, announcing right before the episode that this was the series finale. Millenium, Frank's Place, and Sports Night go down in history as my 3 most under-appreciated, phenomenal shows

Is this who we are?

Author: Brian Collins (brianrcollins@yahoo.com) from Longmeadow, MA
1 September 2004

How do you make a great, spooky television series? Well, here is one recipe for success. Take a pound of flesh from the 1995 movie 'Seven', with Morgan Freeman and Brad Pitt, add a little demented serial killer from 1986's 'Manhunter' with William Peterson and Dennis Farina, and place it in an industrial sized microwave oven for a few minutes. Then add a slice of 1992's 'Silence of The Lambs', some fava beans and pop the cork on a nice bottle of Chianti. With this recipe, you have the hit Fox TV series that ran from 1996 to 1999 Years before TV shows like CSI' or 'Cold Case Files' and 'Law and Order SVU' were even thought of, there was this remarkable show. It was called MillenniuM.

MillenniuM was a series about a profiler named Frank Black. He could see into the mind of serial killers and offered us a glimpse at the world of the criminally disturbed. He worked for the Millennium group, an investigative firm that worked in the private sector. Every week, violent crimes, as well as the disturbing images they create, were the primary focus on this great series. The first season was superb. We all got to meet and know Frank, Catherine, and Jordan, who lived in their big yellow house in Seattle, WA, and we could almost feel the dampness and heavy rain that Seattle is famous for. However, after the haunting opening theme and the awesome boomp-boomp that led us into each segment with the white screen, we all immediately looked to the bottom of that screen to read the type-writer font, and see where this week's episode was taking us to. We would usually meet a member of the Millennium group within the first 15 minutes, and usually that character was Peter Watts. Looking like a Marine and always in control of his emotions, he quickly learned to trust Frank's feelings on most issues.{Peter Watts was played by Terry O'Quinn, and now stars on the ABC series "Lost" as John Locke.}These two made an excellent team, as well as the others from the group, and these relationships really made the show. Frank also had his demons, as all great heroes do. He was in search of a way to suppress his gift, for the love of his daughter, who may also be cursed with the visions. Frank was also working on his marriage, which was, as most marriages are, a daily battle. Frank Black was uncomfortable with his chosen profession, but he also knows it was his destiny to do this job, which he did so well.

That's enough about the show. If you are reading this review, you are already a big fan. Let's talk about the DVD's.

Besides the fact that I want to tell Fox thank you and it's about bloody hell time, this DVD set is great. All 22 episodes are in crisp, clear and in vivid color, and that awesome theme song before each episode. Sweet! I highly recommend this DVD to anyone who is a Chris Carter fan, as well as CSI fans and any fan of current TV programs that review evidence and solve crimes. Give it a try. You will not be disappointed.

Thanks, Brian R. Collins {BC}

P.S. As I am writing this the date is September 1, 2004 and I just received word that MillenniuM Season 2 will be released in the UK on September 27, 2004. So it can't too far behind for the good old U.S. of A.

BC

This show does try to say something....

Author: supah79 from Netherlands
6 September 2005

I'm just not sure I get it completely. On the surface it's a standard cop vs. another serial killer. A real gem in season 1: The Wild and the Innocent. Then Chris Carter's plan goes into second gear. The thing that hooked me was the fact that there was a real war between good and evil. Lucifer was coming ring the bell at 2000 and Frank Black was witnessing all kinds of signs. Could he stop it? Season 2 Wong and Morgan took over the show and ran with it. Pretty far I have to say. At the first viewing I felt cheated. This was not why I bought the DVD. But after the initial shock I went back for a second viewing, I became to appreciate what Wong and Morgan were trying to do. I guess it's pretty out there and I really don't think that making the Millennium Group a dark conspiracy group was the best move (come on... this isn't the X-files!!). But the division within the group was something I could believe. Like most religions, this does happen. I do like the "weird" shows (Somehow Satan Got Behind Me). Again, only after the initial shock I saw the brilliance. Also there are some funny references in this season to other shows (X-files and Space: Above and Beyond). But I guess people think that this show must not have humor or black comedy and I tend to agree.

I am halfway through Season 3. The episodes are good, not great. And I still get the feeling that these episodes require multiple viewings. The best so far is I think The Sound of Snow. The worst: Forcing the End. I still think it would have been more interesting if the line of Season 1 was followed and The Millennium Group was a force of good people (perhaps a cult) fighting evil. Now it's more like the X-Files: evil conspiricies and stuff.

Wong and Morgan declined being interviewed on the extra's, I guess they were not amused being dogged like that by the others.

To wrap it up: despite all its flaws, this show is still better than 80% off the other crap (CSI anyone?) that's out there. I give it a 7 out of 10.

The End was too soon

Author: steve007steve (steve007steven@msn.com) from US Navy, Rota Spain
14 July 2001

Millennium is one of those true gems which outshined everything else, but burned out too fast. Lance Henriksen as Frank Black is one of the greatest acting jobs ever attempted. The writing, directing and producing are second to none. It's a shame that FOX canceled Millennium before its time. If your a fan, you know what I mean. If you have never seen Millennium, do yourself a favor and check it out.

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]