IMDb > "Martian Successor Nadesico" (1996) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Kidô senkan Nadeshiko"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"Martian Successor Nadesico" More at IMDbPro »"Kidô senkan Nadeshiko" (original title)

A superb parody of the mecha genre

Author: (cpm6@keene.edu) from Keene NH USA
27 December 2000

MSN takes the usually ultra-serious mecha genre and makes fun of it in every way possible, with homages to "Macross/Robotech" "Mobile Suit Gundam" "Star Blazers/Yamato" "Neon Genesis Evangelion" and also old-school shows like "Mazinger Z/Tranzor Z" and "GoLion/Voltron". To any anime fan who's familiar with these works, Nadesico is a riot, although those who are not, or non-anime fans, might be slightly lost. However, the series has it's own interesting story to keep people interested, involving a war between Earth and mysterious space aliens who attack from Jupiter. The animation quality is variable, but it shouldn't harm your enjoyment of the show. The dub's pretty good too, although hardcore anime fans will be turned off by the use of overlays.

Restored faith in Anime

Author: bosss7 from Australia
4 March 2003

Having received the first volume of this series on DVD for christmas, I only had one thought. 'Can I sell it on e-bay if I don't unwrap it?'

This will teach me to judge a book (or DVD in this case) by the cover.

2 weeks later I figured I might as well put it on and have a good laugh at this potential garbage. How wrong could a man be. Not only did I have a GREAT laugh but I've been turned onto anime a second time. The animation is stock standard but the script more than makes up for this. Well paced, peppered with loads of laughs.

Lets hope the boys and girls in Japan keep cranking out more series like this. *** out of ****

Slayers style humor plus Gundam Wing technology

Author: blackhawk.sc
17 January 2001

Don't be deceived by the DVD cover that makes you think of Evangelion, Nadesico is one funny series. The series generally points to a show down between "Jovian Lizards" and Earth, but each series, unlike say Gundam Wings, has its own individual plot. Don't get me wrong, the plot does progress but the fact that the writers explore every possibility of comedy within the battleship Nadesico.

Good things I like to point out is that you become VERY familiar with each of the major crew members who range from the super intelligent Ruri to the crazy pilot Izumi. Also there is definately enough action and adventure to keep mecha/sci-fan fans satisfied.

The Nadesico has an OVA, Gekiganger, which is about Akito Tenkawa's favorite anime. There is also an MS Nadesico Movie called Prince of Darkness and as it may sound the movie takes on a darker, more serious tone than the series. These two are not listed on IMDB unfortunately.

One of the best anime series made

Author: Kai-18 from Nadesico
26 June 2000

Though it only had 26 glorious episodes this show was able to fit more plot twists, great characters, knee-slapping comedy, exciting action, powerful drama and even political intrigue. The characters are given great depth that you like them so much that you want to be apart of their crazy world. It also depicts a war in which both sides are guilty and the soldier are not evil. It is both (in a contradictory sense) intensely believable and laugh out loud ludicrous. If you can try to pick up all 26 episodes. You won't be sorry (especially if you an anime fan). Note that the non-existant anime that the characters watch in the series (a take off of giant robot anime like macross) was actually given a little mini-movie. I got to find that!

Enjoy it for What it is!

Author: Skyrcket (skyrocket35@hotmail.com) from Elkhart, In
13 December 1999

The only thing that really compares to this show is the movie "Scream." Both incorporated the knowledge all fans of each genre (horror for 'Scream' and mecha for MSN) to make something original and funny.

"Funny" being the prime word here. This thing is a riot! The entire crew of the Nadesico is made up the the biggest bunch of weirdoes this side of Jupiter. You've got a super-perky, dim, but, for no apparent reason, capable captain, a pilot obsessed with a cheesy 70's mecha show, a engineer who joined up just to get away from his wife, another pilot who just want to be a cook and for the captain to not be in love with him, a genius little girl you thinks everyone around her is an idiot (she's right), a beancounter, a former secretary, and a voice actor. Think 'Hogan's Heroes' meets 'BattleStar Galatica.

While the show is great, the US version has some flaws. The subtitled version is hard to read. For some reason a light blue color is used at times that's almost impossible to see. The dubbed version has screens that have had the kanji glaringly replaced with English.

On the plus side the VA in both versions are all very good. You also get the song lyrics in English and phonetics. That's a rather nice bonus.

MSN is a great parody of the mecha genre and to a greater extent anime fandom as a whole. The story is funny, but with enough serious stuff to keep things from getting to silly.

Overall, this is a good series to invest your anime-buying money in.

wonderfully fun for anime fans and newbies alike

Author: deepcheck from New York
17 July 2001

This series will amuse both newbies and hardcore fans immensely. It has the solidarity of the characters, combined with excellent animation, voice-acting, and plot to make it one of the best entrances into anime for the uninitiated. It's real treat however, is for the anime veterans, who will see throughout the entire series, parody after parody of series after series of longtime favorites and classics. This show is shameless in parody, filled with comdey and drama, and everyone will love it.

Great parody series

Author: Musca domestica from Madison, Wisconsin
7 June 2001

When I first saw the boxes to Nadesico I thought it was nothing more then an Evangelion rip off, I found out later that it was actually a comedy and a parody of Eva and checked it out, I was not disappointed. Nadesico is a very funny anime series that parodies Neon Genesis Evangelion, and the old cheesy 70's mech shows (think Voltron). It has amazing characters and some of the funniest episodes I have seen in an Anime series. The series does sort of wander near the middle and kind of has an open ending but other then that I recommend it.

There is an OAV that is basically a 30 minute long version of the Mecha show they watch in the series which is very funny and a surprisingly dark movie that is decent, but could have been much better (too much build up not enough payoff)

If you like Nadesico Check out Vandread (very similar to Nadesico but with a lot of CGI and much better animation) or the fantasy comedy series Slayers

I dropped this awful anime after a few episodes.

Author: Sabre_Wolf from Faversham, England
28 April 2013

You know when I saw this first it looked kind of promising but then it got more and more annoying.

In fact I detested the vast majority of the characters because really their attitudes at times are just unbelievable and a few times really made me very, very, very sick! All in all I began to lose interest in this series as it rolled on by which I found the characters more annoying then any kind of drama or humour or whatever.

So after a few episodes I just dropped it. Of all the anime I saw this ranks among the top 10 I saw in 'Worst Character Development' because really the character development was utterly atrocious!