IMDb > "The Legacy of Reginald Perrin" (1996) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

As good as it could have been without Reggie.

Author: Muldwych from South Korea
20 April 2008

In many ways, The Legacy Of Reginald Perrin is a testament to the faith the BBC had in series creator David Nobbs, given that the star of the original series - and the main reason for its success - had passed on. 'Legacy' instead focuses instead upon the supporting characters, giving Geoffrey Palmer, by this time considered a safe pair of hands in a starring role, centre seat. New supporting characters are also added to fill out the cast, most notably Patricia Hodge, as the legal executor of Reggie Perrin's fortune, for which the others must do something silly in order to collect their share.

The pen of David Nobbs ensures that the series at all times maintains the feel of the original, and the returning cast generally seem to slip effortlessly back into their roles. Time may have softened John Barron a little, but the defiant spark accompanying every mixed metaphor is still there. However, although everyone concerned gives their all, it just isn't the same without the title character. Perrin and Rossiter were the dynamoes that drove the entire series. While the supporting characters were content to put up with their mundane middle-class lives, every fibre of Reggie's being yearned for more, and he went out and got it, achieving new levels of wonderful lunacy each time. Nobbs is very much aware of this, since the premise of 'Legacy' has to do with everyone wondering just how to achieve similar heights of silliness in order to claim their inheritance.

It's a brave try, and certainly a very watchable one. It's almost like watching scenes from original episodes where Reggie isn't in the room. Nonetheless, even though the final episode suggests quite strongly that this wasn't meant to be a one-off series, it's not difficult to see why it was. And to paraphrase CJ, I didn't get where I am today by not seeing why it was.

It was bold

Author: geneticjackhammer_316 from United Kingdom
27 April 2006

This programme was a bold move, it did only survive one series, but without Leanard Rossiter, it couldn't be what it used to. The main story was after Reginald Perrin passed away, he left a will to his family and former colleagues. A million pounds each. But, to get this money they had to do something totally absurd. After efforts were made they decided to work as a team and their idea was to have a bloodless revolution for the older generation, however, it actually was a good idea, so they didn't get a penny. On the character side of things, new characters were bought in and supporting characters were in the lead. With his success in "As Time Goes By", Geoffrey Palmer took the spotlight, relinquishing his role as Jimmy Anderson, the Leader of the Revolution along with all the other classic characters from the original series, CJ, Doc Morrisey, David "Great" Jones and Joan Greengross. If I hadn't of seen this programme at the tender age of 11, I would have never seen the original classic programme, so thank you David Nobbs.

Here Lies Reginald Iolanthe Perrin - Forever Revolting!

Author: ShadeGrenade from Ambrosia
10 September 2006

The '90's saw the B.B.C. revive a number of famous comedy shows, including two made by I.T.V. - 'Agony Again' and 'Doctor At The Top' - along with 'The Liver Birds' and, of course, this. Whereas these featured the original casts, 'Legacy' was at a disadvantage because Leonard Rossiter passed away in 1984. David Nobbs tried to work around this by making Reggie's death the catalyst for the show's events. Reggie's family and friends must do something really absurd in order to qualify for a share in his will. After a number of failed individual attempts, they combine to try to take over the country, at the head of an army of pensioners. The show was not the disaster critics tried to make out; 'Jimmy', 'C.J.', 'Elisabeth', 'David Harris-Jones', 'Tom' and 'Linda' were strong enough to carry the show. The problem was that Reggie wasn't around to belittle them anymore. It was like watching 'Fawlty Towers' without Basil. Best of the new characters was Geraldine Hackstraw, played by the lovely Patricia Hodge.

funny funny funny

Author: frankiegoesagain from United Kingdom
23 September 2006

Missed this when first shown in 1996 but recently managed to watch the entire series in one day! That wasn't my intention but I just got hooked from the first episode, perhaps it's like CJ states "I love nostalgia, especially when it's about the past!" Great fun I thought and every bit as well written as the original shows from 20 years earlier.

And a great cast to boot! Actually, I do seem to remember watching the first episode of this when first broadcast - then it did nothing for me, strange how the passing of time and being bothered to watch the series in full can change one's initial thought.

They don't do 'em like this these days and sure, it's not 'cutting edge comedy' (whatever that is?)but I didn't care.

Even without Reggie it was still great, super! to see so many original cast members reunited for this one-off (that's all it was intended to be) series.

Sure, it won't (indeed it didn't!) change the world, but a ruddy good Brit-com all the same.

If you can find a repeat I urge you to give it a try.

I didn't get where I am today by recommending rubbish sitcoms on IMDb you know! :)

Flawed but entertaining

Author: nickomcminn from United Kingdom
1 December 2007

When David Nobbs starting working for the BBC again in the mid-90s he made the bold decision to bring back Reginald Perrin. The critics were scathing about the show and claimed that following the death of Leonard Rossiter it should never have happened. With the benefit of hindsight however, the show was not the disaster it was first claimed to be.

David Nobbs has always been a hugely talented writer and he proves that again here. The ideas in The Legacy of Reginald Perrin are more innovative and funny than most other comedy shows and it is only the overly repetitive catchphrases and a few slow sections which let the scripts down.

Even despite Leonard Rossiter's absence, there are still positives to the cast as well. Geoffrey Palmer is superb as Jimmy Anderson and John Horsley, Bruce Bould and Tim Preece all perform well as well. Sadly though John Barron's age appears to be catching up with him and one or two other cast members had not acted for several years and it shows.

All in all, I would recommend this to fans of the original series. It is certainly imperfect and could have benefited from strong editing but it is nevertheless fascinating viewing.