IMDb > "Kindred: The Embraced" (1996) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Great show

Author: Jasson Cresanto from Atlanta
4 March 1999

I have to agree with the first comment posted; that the pilot was weak and the rest of the shows were excellent. Nobody gives a damn how close it was to the game...and quite frankly, I find it offensive that someone will get all self righteous about it...but that's not why I'm posting. Great show. The story was very consuming and kept your attention. Much is to be said for that these days as a lot of shows don't keep your attention any longer than a few airings. I have to say that (unfortunately), the best shows are usually the ones that get cancelled: Kindred, Earth2, S:AAB, to name a few. The general public isn't ready to devote regular hours to a little continuity. They are more apt to tune in for the occasional 30 minutes of overused situational B.S. Anyway, great show, I sure wish there was a way to see more.

I miss this show...

Author: JasonDallas from West Virginia
19 October 2001

I remember being a senior in High School when this came on. I was just getting into Vampire: The Masquerade with some friends and when this came on I was excited.

Despite what some of the role-play fanatics (who didn't look into the level of acting talent and depth of storylines in this series) say this was a very cool show, but sadly back then FOX was axe-ing all the interesting cool shows to make room for their "over the hill lord only knows why this was a hit" 90210 which featured people in their 20's as high school students.

But I digress, if you find tapes of this somewhere, watch and enjoy!

Rather Disappointing...

Author: John Blackthorne (Imagicka) from Toronto, Ontario
3 February 2002

After seeing someone else's comments who was quite happy to insult the roleplaying game in which this show was based on, I felt I had to cast a rebuttal as a fan of the roleplaying game.

As mentioned, Kindred the Embraced is based on the 'World of Darkness (tm)' that the gaming company White-Wolf created called Vampire the Masquerade. A world/game rich in vampire culture, politics, history and diversity. A game which spawned numerous other games for White-Wolf, card games, and a computer game, as well help to create a new roleplaying market, the live-action roleplaying game. As well revitalized the roleplaying gaming industry almost single-handedly, by bringing in new players and capturing the imagination of 'old-guard' gamers alike; also attracting the attention of players who would have never been interested in roleplaying, or those who had played before and didn't like it.

These aren't suppose to be Dracula-like vampires, or Buffy-Like vampires. These are the movers and the shakers of the world who hide in shadows controlling the media, the press, the government, the police, and anything else that holds their interest. Not mindless blood-suckers who are hell-bent on destruction and evil. Don't get me wrong, being alive for a few hundred years can make some vampires very evil and twisted creatures, but enough of that...

The series was rather poorly done simply because they didn't even try to delve into culture that the game created. The structure of the kindred politics is a league called the Camarilla, who consists of seven clans who work together under a set of laws known as the Traditions to uphold something they refer to as the Masquerade.

These clans are: The Ventrue (regal blue-bloods who are snobby but think they should control the camarilla); The Brujah (anarchists and rebels who shouldn't have been suit wearing mofia-types, who strive for change and think the camarilla is outdated and corrupt); The Gangrel (wild, animalistic loners who can control, communicate and change into animals like bats and wolves); The Toreador (artists, artistic poseurs, gossip-mongers and hangers-on who care more for style and art than substance); and the Nosferatu (hideous, ugly, monsters, yet also reserved and sneaky, who dwell in sewers and abandoned places, but are the intelligence community/network of the kindred, knowing everything that is going on, and selling it for a price). As well as two others I'll mention below.

I found the show was more about the human cop, and reporter who the Prince takes a personal interest in, as well as the relationships of the 'Primogens' (the heads of each of the clans) than it was about what I think would have made the show more interesting and marketable, the culture, history and politics, and the abilities of the kindred themselves. As well as the multitude of arch-types of characters that each clan creates by their own attitudes and ideals.

Another fault of the show was, the fact that it seemed that all the vampires had the same powers and abilities. The Primogen of the Toreador, Lily, was able to turn herself into a wolf, an ability which is usually only reserved for the older and more powerful members of the Gangrel. Or the prince, Julian, was able to 'Earth-Meld', again, an ability only the Gangrel subscribe to.

They should have had a stronger division between the clans, explained that each clan has their own philosophies and ideals, as well as abilities and powers. Not to mention, two of the most interesting clans weren't even included in the show. The Malkavians, a clan of insane vampires who also have moments of sheer genius, insight and enlightenment. Or the Tremere, a tight-knit conspiratorial clan who are able to cast magic spells through the use of vampiric blood.

The show should have been about a group of newly embraced (the term used for being turned into a vampire) vampire childer, the relationships they developed with their sires, each other, and their exploration into the world of the kindred. As the newly embraced kindred learn about their respective clans and abilities, and politics, so do the audience.

Who are these Primogen? Why do they control the clans? Who is the Prince of the city? Why does he call himself the prince? What is the Camarilla? What/who are the Sabbat? Why do they want to destroy the Camarilla? Questions that would have kept the audience wondering, as well as the character guessing about. It would have made the show more interesting in my opinion.

As well, there is a rich culture and history behind each of the clans that make up the Camarilla. This information was poorly utilitized in the show, and they displayed some of this information rather matter-a-factly. Such as an introduction of an Assamite Kindred Assassin. They barely touched on what 'The Masquerade' was, why the kindred had it, and why clans such as the Brujah and the Gangrel who clearly distrusted and hated one another would work together in the Camarilla under a Ventrue prince such as Julian. Nor did they adequately explain who 'Archon' was, and what his purpose was.

I feel it would have been much more interesting and fascinating to the audience at large to concentrate on the difference add the character-types of each of the vampire clans than to have made it a soap-opera bombastic gothic-horror version of Melrose Place, or 90210. A lot of fans of the roleplaying game felt that Aaron Spelling was not interested at all in the diversity and information that the roleplaying game supplied and in fact ignored almost all of it.

As a fan of the Roleplaying game, I was sorely disappointed, as were a lot of other Vampire the Masquerade fans.

Loved; sad

Author: lynnewcats from United States
29 August 2005

This was a wonderful series, full of interesting and charismatic actors. I've followed Patrick Bauchau, for example, ever since, especially as Sydney in The Pretender. The really sad thing is that the star, Mark Frankel,who played Julian Luna, was killed in a motorcycle accident the summer after the series wrapped, leaving a wife and two small children. Don't know if the show had any chance of continuing, but obviously that was the end of that -- and a promising career and life. Too bad there aren't real vampires, so he could have survived beyond the tragedy!

As I understand it, some of those who had played the game on which it was based were unhappy with the show -- they felt it didn't really do justice to its complexity or follow its rules. Never having played the game, I had no such reservations. I thought the show was well-written and excitingly paced, and would recommend the set to anyone interested in this genre.

A T.V. Show that was very good!

Author: Pat1973 (whitetigerpat@webtv.net) from Frankfort Illinois
23 October 2000

Kindred: The Embraced is a cool vampire show! It has heart and determination that all vampires are not bad! Vampires are kind of human in a way? We have wars among ourselves and just like people we have our problems! This show is like real life. That is why I love the shows! It's real to a point that you don't have to take it too serious. Just watch the shows and you know what I mean. What great acting by Mark Frankel and C. Thomas Howell. The whole cast works great together and keep up a great story line! It grabbed me from the start! It's sexy and sassy in ways that I have not seen vampires before! Just watch it. It on DVD and I recommend this show very highly! Out of 4 stars I give it 4! The show it non stop awesome!

A slick vampire series

Author: rob_h from Dover, NH
4 February 2001

OK, maybe C. Thomas Howell is a little melodramatic, but this series was a good and (generally) well-acted modern vampire tale. I wasn't watching television, I guess, when it originally aired. But I rented it a couple of years ago and enjoyed it so much that I bought it on DVD a short time ago. The set has two DVDs and is in 5.1--pretty stripped down in terms of extras (i.e., there aren't any). Still, it's worth a look. Mark Frankel and Patrick Bauchau are excellent in their roles.

One of the few Vampire stories I can watch..and like.

Author: c_pendragon from Ontario, Canada
8 September 2000

I am not a big fan of vampire stories but I really enjoyed The Kindred and it showed the clashes with the different vampire clans. I thought it had interesting stories and not just a lot of fangs. C Thomas Howell investigates unusual happenings not knowing that there are vampires.

You even liked some of the vampires! It had a lot of atmosphere and I was disappointed when it was cancelled. I would recommend it!

Hit and miss

Author: slmstanley from USA
20 July 2000

I must admit, I love vampire movies, vampire television shows, vampire books. This was no exception. This production, based on a game, was much better than I expected. Though it produced some of the most overblown television dialogue to date, it also produced intense, shocking images. It was certainly one of the most powerful television episodes I've ever seen.

If you can catch reruns of it on the tube some night, lucky you.

One of the best shows ever

Author: Kish Moore (kish_k@hotmail.com) from Oakland, California
9 January 1999

This show portrays five clans of "Kindred"--vampires--living in San Francisco. Unlike most other vampire shows, however, the vampires are not seen as evil or unnatural. Julian Luna, the vampire prince, demonstrates the epic nobility of a King Arthur. The premier episode is unfortunately the low point of the series; if it wasn't so easy to get lost, I'd recommend skipping over it entirely and starting with the episode "Prince of the City." This is very much a love-it-or-hate-it kind of show; it's very loosely based on the role playing game Vampire: The Masquerade, and many players hate it for being so different from that game, but if you can watch it without expectations from Vampire (and without giving up after hearing some of the hideous dialogue in the premier episode), you'll find it one of the most compelling shows ever.

Aaron Spelling produces a soap opera about vampires

Author: Stephen White (lordclaymore) from United States
25 April 2011

If you are a fan of Vampire: the Masquerade you will be disappointed and annoyed. The clans of the Camarilla are there, but the notable things that distinguish them are mostly missing, every kindred can shape shift in this universe and all of the "really" cool clans are gone. No Malkavians, no Sabbat, no Independents, no Tremere, and Nosferatu are just bald with funny shaped ears. People who aren't fans will find a decent soap opera-type show with iffy acting and cool vampire intrigue stuff, but overall this series is a disappointment and I just want to know who to blame. The music is very good, and the opening is fantastic. I would love to see something done with a closer eye to the correct continuity, but that will never happen.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]