IMDb > "Iron Man" (1994) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Iron Man" More at IMDbPro »

"It's the direct object of the verb."

Author: gears_chatroom_god from N. Ireland
7 May 2003

The first season of "Iron Man" was written for the most part by Ron Friedman, who would be better known to most animation fans as the writer of "Transformers: The Movie." And, quite frankly, the first season of "Iron Man" sucked.

The overlarge cast of characters did not help Friedman's meandering scripts, which were usually needless complex (the first episode, "And The Sea Shall Give Up It's Dead," is a very good example of this) - and not in an intelligent way, more of a lurching, stumbling way. Crammed to the gills with awful pseudo-science which didn't make a lick of sense, bizarre, out-of-left-field dialogue (the title of this review is one such example, which Tony spontaneously recites while briefing his teammates), and ill-fitting humour that, for the most part, just wasn't funny, about the only thing this show had going for it was the animation, and even that was weaker than other shows on TV at the time. "Iron Man" season one was entirely too 80's to stack up against it's fellow Marvel shows, such as "X-Men" and "Spider-Man."

It's bizarre, because Friedman also wrote the first season of "Iron Man"'s sister show on the Marvel Action Hour, "Fantastic Four," and it was much better. The pseudo-science and humour WORKED on that show, sounding just right coming out of Mr. Fantastic and the Thing - Friedman seems to be a better hand at dealing with outer space fantasy than with the business-and-espionage world of Iron Man. Regrettably, FF was hampered by truly, truly appalling animation, which could have stepped right out of the 70's. To me, however, "Iron Man" was just the show I had to sit through before I could watch "Fantastic Four."

The SECOND season of "Iron Man," however, saw Marvel Productions switch animation houses, and the whole series got a makeover. Gone was Friedman - gone were the bad humour, oversized cast and stupid plots. The show started to make *sense.* Some of the changes were a little sudden, yes, and could have done with a little exposition to help them (Iron Man's new armour, the sudden appearance of HOMER), and it'd be lying to say that the shift in voice actors for the bulk of the cast wasn't jarring. Ultimately, though, the performances on the show were better in the second season, the animation was modernised, and there was finally a sense of arced plot, as we watched the Mandarin reclaim his rings.

You can bet your booties that if an "Iron Man" motion picture is produced, then some old episodes of this series will see a DVD/video re-release - hopefully they'll elect to go with the vastly superior second season.

BRILLIANT MARVEL SERIES

Author: Big Movie Fan from England
6 May 2002

I don't think any current Marvel cartoons can compare to the awesome 1960's cartoons but the Marvel cartoons from the 90's and early 21st century are still entertaining enough.

This Iron Man series was shown in 1994 and Iron Man was joined by other superheroes which meant much more action and excitement. Joining Iron Man were the likes of Hawkeye, War Machine and Spider-Woman. And Iron Man's armour was so cool.

The villains were okay but Iron Man's arch-enemy The Mandarin tended to be over-exposed a bit too much. He didn't look much like The Mandarin from the comic book;he looked more like Ming the Merciless from the 1980's Defenders Of The Earth cartoon.

All in all, there was plenty of action throughout the series run.

Skip the first season, enjoy the second

Author: Danja from Tewkesbury, England
21 November 2006

In the mid-90s there was a string of cartoons based on Marvel comics, from the wildly successful Spider-Man and X-Men to the lesser ones such as The Incredible Hulk, Fantastic Four and this show, Iron Man. FF and Iron Man both started as part of the Marvel Action Hour with debut seasons of 13 episodes each. They were both rubbish. Choppy animation, lame out of place CGI and inconsistent voice acting didn't help the stories, which ranged from limp and mediocre to indecipherable (one episode about a plane being stolen through some sort of time displacement makes absolutely no sense).

Despite this, Iron Man got a second season and managed to prove itself as a good show. The glut of regular characters was cut down. The Mandarin being reduced to appearing in minuscule vignettes at the end of each episode while hislackeys disappeared almost completely, allowing for a fresh batch of villains such as Firebrand and AIM to appear. The Force Works team also broke up, with Century and (the terribly accented) Scarlet Witch being cut almost entirely and Hawkeye reduced to a handful of appearances. War Machine and Spider-Woman were keep along and both managed to grow more as interesting characters in their own right, helped by War Machine finally getting a consistent voice artist in Dorian Harewood. Robert Hays stayed on as the best interpretation of Iron Man yet; smart and funny, yet able to convey action and drama well. He was joined by his armour's new AI Homer, who added some nice comic relief. The show improved in the second season visually as well. The art became more detailed and moodier, the animation much smoother and the mind-numbing opening credits of the MAH season were replaced with a fairly cool rock theme. If you can catch it in repeats, the second season of Iron Man is well worth watching, with engaging and entertaining super-hero stories (many of which are adaptations of stories from the comics, such as the Armour Wars two-parter). Just try and avoid the first season.

Great Marvel series

Author: SpideyTerry from Ardmore, PA
5 January 2000

Iron Man was a great Marvel cartoon series. Just as good as Spider-Man and X-Men. The series focused on the super hero team formed by Iron Man, Force Works. The team consisted of Iron Man, War Machine, Spider-Woman, Hawkeye, Scarlet Witch and Century. They fought Mandarin and his group of super villians. The series was good from start to finish, but the last season left something to be desired.

Cool Cartoon For Shellhead Fans Like Me.

Author: verbusen from Fahaheel, Kuwait
25 February 2006

I missed this series when it originally ran (no surprise because I never catch any shows when they first air). But I am seeing Iron Man on the Jetix channel which I think is a European network. My first comment is the intro, it's really cool and maybe my favorite part. It shows Tony Stark building the Iron Man armor and shows the progression of what the armor first looked like (a tin can) to the 90's version (I have no idea what it looks like now). Also in the intro is a really cool theme song that is very very catchy, its the same words of the Black Sabbath Iron Man song "I-AM-IRON-MAN" sung to like a Whitesnake heavy metal rhythm, its right now my favorite cartoon song on out there (yes I know, I lead a boring life, lol). Nick Fury and Shield are in this series a lot (I have only watched about 5 episodes so far), growing up I like Fury and Shield as they took on AIM. There is a lot of material for Shellhead from the comic book and this looks like a pretty good translation to the TV realm because I have seen some cool Marvel supervillan's here like the Crimson Dynamo and the Mandarin among others. Animation is not bad from what I've seen and people did die in one episode where a nuke missile exploded in a Russian silo so I like that for some realism. Is it perfect? No, but they made it for kids and its still pretty good for me as an adult to watch. I can't wait for it to come out as a movie I pray it's not a total rewrite like they did to the Hulk (I think Marvel learned the errors of their ways though in destroying that movie franchise with a convoluted plot, hey I still buy the radioactive mutant superpower bit so just stay with that, lol). Recommended for Shellhead fans. Hey my favorite Shellhead comic book moment, when Iron Man gets zapped by Thor (who's being controlled by Moondragon) and with the huge energy boost slams Thor through 10 marble columns!

Shellhead at his best......mostly

Author: xindi005 from United States
28 June 2008

In an age where animated features that had more than just the simplistic bluntness of such shows like Animaniacs or Tiny Toons, a show that had more to say or rather show was extremely rare. The WB or rather Fox delved into what was only seen in Anime, a cartoon that wasn't a cartoon. Batman: The Animated Series reshaped what was considered the only way comic 'toons was to be done. The X-Men re-introduced the world to comic 'toons after the "Superfriends" era, but it was Iron Man, or rather its second season; we try to forget the first one, that really expanded the world of comic 'toons. In fact, it took the "cartoon" away from such features.

To be honest, when Iron Man started, it was crappy. The artwork was a bit too detailed and the voice acting hurt the ears spoiled by such talents from WB animation. The plots for the show were more childish then necessary. Simply, I hated it and didn't miss it when it disappeared, along with its kindred of similarly pathetic story-telling, Fantastic Four.

But, in 1995, the series, along with the four in blue, returned with not only more stylish animation that didn't turn the stomach, voice action that had a sense of professionalism, and even the theme took on a style of its own that was really one of the best out there at the time. I was saddened, this time, when the series didn't return with a third season, but was hoping to see it back in some form or another.

Thankfully, and in awesome style, shell-head did return in one of the best films,in regards to comic book movies, since Batman Begins. Iron Man became a feature film in May 2008 and it was awesome. I still haven't seen this animated series come out on DVD as yet, but I have a feeling that it will eventually( the lack-luster animated antics of Fan Four came out on DVD the same year as it's first, good movie, so who knows).

Even though it wasn't the best series to Marvel's credit, it was still, for me, the best introduction to Iron Man in animation. I can't wait to see it....again.

Only for those who love and adore this character enough to give Iron Man 2 a 10 star rating

Author: WakenPayne from Valhalla
10 October 2013

Okay I do like material that has been adapted from comic books, and to some extent I watched the cartoon episodes when I was 12. I loved Iron Man at the time, he was my very favourite superhero. The honest opinion is that this cartoon fares even worse than the Spider Man one made around the same time as this.

First of all my biggest complaint - the plot lines make no sense. In one 2 part episode (just remember the writers thought this story was good enough to put into 2 parts) a catastrophic explosion kills innocent people when Iron Man is fighting the Crimson Dynamo. He decides to take a vow - to stop everyone with Iron Man-like technology.

There are quite a few things to go through with that plot - firstly, with the bad guys doesn't that go without saying? They're wielding presumably the most powerful weapons on the planet! Secondly, Some of these people are heroes - by taking away this technology saying "No, this is mine!" to people who are using it for good only makes Stark seem like an unlikeable prick (and he is in these episodes). Thirdly, What stopped him from doing this to the villains before? If he can take them out in about 2 time-slots for the episodes then why didn't he do that? Fourthly, why didn't the Iron Man villains/users of Starks technology team up to fight him? It makes no sense.

Just as a side-note for this review: The opening theme is AWESOME! That is the best thing about this show.

I would only recommend this to the most loyal fans of Iron Man. I think this is okay to show kids (if anyone complains about the plot I described above not being "kid friendly" then I will assure you everybody else thinks he is crazy) but you probably won't like it if you don't really love Iron Man.

I! AM! IRON MAN! *cue electric guitar riff*

Author: xamtaro from Singapore
5 May 2010

Following the success of 1992's "X-men" animated series, Marvel returned to daytime TV entertainment with "Iron Man The Animated series" as part of the "Marvel Action hour". Any discerning viewer would be able to pin point the exact purpose of this animated series, and that is to sell toys to children. As a result, whatever complexities about the character that were inherent in the comics, including his womanizing nature and his alcohol addiction, were discarded in favor of a more child friendly premise. And what could be more child-friendly than "heroic good guy team versus dastardly bad guy team".

Much of the show's first season was a dismal disappointment. It was easily a cut and paste rehash of G I Joe or the cheesy 1980s He-Man cartoon with Iron Man leading his "Force Works" team against the evil Mandarin and his cronies. Every episode was largely the same as the last: The Mandarin attempts another goofy world domination plot or to steal a new Stark invention, there is some dissension caused within Iron Man's team, evil plot seems to succeed but Iron Man's team settle their differences in time to save the day.

Formulaic, bland and actually boring at times, season 1 also featured some horrendous animation. It was not just bad in terms of 1990s standards, but bad even when compared to animated series of the 1980s or late 1970s. Artwork would constantly go "off model" and character movements were strictly twelve frames per second. Furthermore in order to save costs, the animation company would use a lot of stock footage from past episodes in subsequent ones with no effort made to cover the cost cutting measure.

A year later, Marvel re-vamped the Iron Man series by hiring a new creative team and animation company. The results were a drastic improvement. The show took a darker turn in season 2 where the Force works team is disbanded after Tony Stark betrays their trust. Now working alone with occasional help from James Rhodes Aka War Machine, Stark must fend off his competitor Justin Hammer while dealing with new threats despite the disappearance of the Mandarin.

Season 2 largely discards the formulaic style, choosing to directly adapt popular story-lines from the Iron Man comics while having more character centered episodes that deal with common themes that anyone can relate to such as phobias, trust, the price of beauty and obsession. There is also a greater sense of continuity as the affects of events in one episode carry over into the next. Koko Enterprises, known for their work on the award winning Batman The Animated series give the animation in Iron Man's second season a much needed bump in the right direction. Character movements are smoother, art detail is better and the color scheme loses that bright cheery look of season one, replacing it with heavier blacks and more angular designs.

After twenty six episodes, Iron Man the animated series remains a very mixed bag. Blame for this shows disappointing quality can be attributed to constrictions placed upon the writers to feature as many Iron Man suits as possible in each episode as free publicity for the toys. On the bright side, it got better, allowing the audience at least 13 episodes of decent animated entertainment.

2/10 for season 1 7/10 for season 2.

Average to 4.5/10 round up to 5/10

Questionable

Author: angelasaban from United States
11 June 2011

Everything here lists this as being shown in the 90's--I think it was recycled from an earlier show. I am almost positive that I watched this show in the 80's--there is no other cartoon I can find with these characters from Saturday mornings when I was growing up--and I know I watched Iron Man then! Plus, the animation (at least for that listed as season 1) is not on par with other shows from the 90's. I think they recycled a program (at least Iron Man) and reused it here. The updated computer animation does not blend well with the older animation. The references to the sudden "improvement" in animation also leads me to believe they ran out of the old footage--or got funding for new animation!! I had a crush on Robert Hays, and to me, he was always Tony Stark!