IMDb > "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart" (1996) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Daily Show"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The Daily Show with Jon Stewart" More at IMDbPro »"The Daily Show" (original title)

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

One anchor, four correspondents, zero credibility.

Author: Lady-of-Rohan from New Zealand
16 October 2004

When a big story breaks, where do you turn for news coverage? CNN? FOX? BBC? CBC? No, no, no, and no. It's....Comedy Central? Oh yes. Believe it.

The Daily Show is the #1 fake comedic news show out there. Every weekday night on Comedy Central (or Comedy Network for me) Jon Stewart, officially the second funniest man in America, hosts a show that everyone needs to see. The whole show follows the main news stories of today and comments on them with hilarious political satire. Not only that, but everyday, a guest comes in for an interview. And I'm not talking guests nobody has heard of. We're talking about Bill Clinton, Matthew Broderick, Desmond Tutu, John Kerry, etc.

The Daily Show is definitely worth your time. Give it a try. You'll be glad you did.

Jon Stewart vs Kilby

Author: mattryan00 from Washington, DC
8 January 2003

Ok, I'll be the first to say: When Craig Kilborn left the show, i thought it was going to suck. Boy was I wrong.

This is the one show on television that i make an effort to watch. Amidst a wasteland of stupidity, this is the last bastion of entertaining intelligence. Since the major television networks have turned into crap factories: turning out one crappy reality show after another, it's comforting to find a place in The Daily Show that makes fun of those people.

Jon Stewart is one of the funniest (not to mention brightest) people out there. Whenever I get bored, i watch old clips of him interviewing the Spice Girls or the one about Executing the Retarded. Somebody give this man a raise (no--that was not a short joke); he has earned it.

Jon is the man!

Now better than ever.

Author: Tug-3 from New York, NY
4 March 1999

I have always liked the edgy, sometimes-cruel humor of "The Daily Show," but now that it has Jon Stewart at the helm I like it more than ever. Craig Kilborn was a talented host, but he often bordered on being severely unlikeable, and somehow malicious towards his guests. Jon Stewart brings to the show a much more developed sense of comic timing, plus a split-second wittiness and a knack for snappy comebacks. He has an obvious rapport with his guests, and consistently produces the funniest and most honest interviews on television. Meanwhile, the On-the-Spot reports have maintained the same level of hilarity, assaulting the pretentiousness of people who can't seem to realize they are the butt of a joke. And as sacreligious as it is, I can't get enough of the hysterical "God Stuff" portion of the show, which manages to strip bare the ignorance and hypocrisy that surround tele-theology in a few short minutes. The folks at "The Daily Show" would be well-advised to keep up the outstanding comedic work.

Dubya: "I was not elected to one party--"; John Stewart: "You were not elected."

Author: (sprockets86@hotmail.com) from Sussex County, New Jersey
6 May 2001

When the show premiered in 1996, it was good. Craig Kilborn and his staff of oddball reporters showed signs of comedic genius. Five questions were always a pleasure, and the highlight for me had to be the scene from LEGEND OF RICKY in that segment's video opening.

But when John Stewart came, so did the greatness. Mo Rocca, Vance DeGeneres, Stephen Colbert, Nancy Walls, and Steve Corral, as well as the always funny Lewis Black and hilarious Frank DeCaro replaced the correspondence team--and have done very, very well. THE DAILY SHOW has grown from the small, mock news program/night show it once was into something completely new and fun. During the conventions last year, THE DAILY SHOW broke coverage of our current president with an erection while hearing his name nominated. Now this is crude, but in the context of the event, and the fact that it is pretty hard to doctor something like that, this six minute segment was perhaps the funniest in the show's history.

And it just keeps getting better. Its correspondents are better than ever (Colbert especially), and it is gradually gaining respect as a real news program. A reward for anyone interested in news and comedy--I wholeheartedly recommend you check this gem out if you haven't already!

more accurate than any other news show

Author: don-249 from Potomac, Maryland
25 July 2004

Jon Stewart's timing and delivery is incredibly good. The writing is fantastic. Of course, with material provided fresh daily by the US Congress and Administration, writing humor probably isn't all that challenging. It must be frustrating that they don't have enough time to cover more "news" in each half-hour segment.

I'd give anything to buy a "Best of the Daily Show" on DVD (especially the one with "the Congress condemning sex with a turtle" episode).

Open satire is a rare and beautiful thing...

Author: (wildlife_4ever@yahoo.com) from Green Bay, Wi
28 January 2003

First of all- I have a message for all those who said negative things about The Daily Show: WAKE UP! I don't know about the rest of you, but this show is a refreshing alternative to the shallow humor to be found in most of this country's comedy television.

Jon Stewart is an excellent host, just as all the correspondents and contributors are all great additions to the show. The show is a sure bet you'll get a laugh and it's a enjoyable way to keep up with the news without sitting through 24 hour news channels. Ha HA!

Rather than tuning into a predictable and annoying sitcome like saaaaay... Friends or Ally McBeal, try watching The Daily Show- you'll be glad you did.

Easily the funniest late night talk show on the air

Author: matlock2 from Eau Claire, WI
7 November 2001

This is a great show. Stewart has the perfect sense of humor to deal with the outrageness of his correspondents. He remains the center of sanity as reporters like Colbert, Carrell, and Rocca act in the strangest of ways. The seriousness that their interviewing subjects show is absolutely amazing. They pick on everyone equally. If the Onion had a TV show, this would be it. The only area were the show could slightly improve is Jon's interviewing technique. He doesn't match up with Conan as far as getting funny stuff out of the celebrities, but he is better than most. This show is absolutely incredible and I hope it lasts forever.

One of the funniest shows on TV.

Author: tRiVi8L
23 January 2003

From Jon Stewart's zany wit to Stephen and Steven's outrageous sarcasm, to Lewis Black's volcanic sardonic rants, to Mo Rocca's clever political satire, to the sly, subtle, absurd humor from regulars such as Tolan, Woods, Walls, Helms, Corddry, Harris, et al. ... this wonderful, unique, insightful, and unbelievably hilarious tv show is truly a delight to watch.

For many young adults, the complex truths and shades of grey in this new "adult world" tend to be oversimplified and broadly painted by the ratings crazed popular News Media. It is a relief and a comfort to view a program to poke fun and point out the underlying absurdity of it all. Understand, this show does not preach, and its intentions are first, and foremost, to crack jokes and promote laughter. But in an era when lowbrow, kitschy humor and shock seem to be the easiest path to laughter, it is a pleasure and a blessing to have such a smart, witty, and insightful show as this one.

Not to be missed.

only way to get the news

Author: Rick-34 (rick_desper@yahoo.com) from United States
19 May 2004

A recent poll showed that a surprisingly large percentage of Americans got their news from the faux news show the Daily Show. With corporate news becoming increasinly bland and sacrificing journalistic qualities in favor of ratings, news satire has becoming ever more important.

Jon Stewart is splendid as the host who pokes and prods public figures to discuss recent news in ways they cannot do on network news. The correspondents are terrific, especially Stephen Colbert. This show is the best of basic cable! Great guests who have made recent appearances include Ambassador Joseph Wilson, whose wife was outed as a CIA operative by Robert Novak, and Richard Clarke, the former counter-terrorism "czar". Conservatives get their chances to, but aside from John McCain, the audience (in NY) tends to favor the liberals.

Jon Stewart is Great!

Author: Jailynn from MN
10 June 2000

Jon Stewart has really picked this show up. I never liked it much when the other host was there, and I have watched it nearly every night since Jon started hosting. I really like how he can deliver a joke and if it fails to generate a laugh, he can easily pick himself up and move on. The correspondants are fantastic. I get a kick out of all of them. Those stories are wonderful. If you haven't watched this before, my best comparison would be "Saturday Night Live's" Weekend Update.

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]