IMDb > "Cosby" (1996) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Cosby"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Cosby" More at IMDbPro »

quality viewing

Author: stakes
12 July 2001

This is a great show, really not of it's time. While most modern sitcoms base a large amount of their humor on sex, this comedy is the kind that you could allow your youngest children to watch, and is still hysterical. Bill Cosby has always been a comic genius, and he continues to be just that on Cosby. Doug E. Doug, an underrated performer, is also a great addition to this show, and looks like he is having the time of his life in every scene that he performs with Cosby. Cosby had a solid run, but after 4 seasons, ended too soon. In another time, this dying breed of comedy may have been more appreciated.

Great series

Author: mkaiser-1 from United States
2 June 2004

Cosby made a decent comeback after such failures like The Cosby Mysteries (hey, it worked for Angela Lansbury, Dick Van Dyke and Andy Griffith!) and You Bet Your Life (an adaptation to the classic Groucho Marx game show. Cosby had some funny moments, but overall Cosby is weak with keeping up improvisation for a sustained amount of time)

Madelyn Khan was great on the show, but you could see during her final weeks on the show that she looked ill.

Someone else was supposed to play Cosby's wife in the series, but something didn't work out, so Phylicia Rashad was called on to replace her.

Cosby thankfully didn't go the route of adding younger children to the cast to keep the show going. That was the start of the downfall of the original Cosby Show.

One of the best shows I've seen in a while.

Author: houstontvnews from Houston, TX
15 August 2001

I loved this show, and I happen to believe it was BETTER than its' predecessor. Several elements have lead me to this conclusion. The show's dialogue leads you to believe that the show is scripted, but improvised as well. Take a look at some of the conversations between Hilton & Griffin. Especially my favorite on the airline freebies & "Tiny Wine". I also loved the asides Cosby's "Hilton" took to the audience on set & at home. It helped you get your bearings into the upcoming scene. These blend into a believeable atmosphere. The Late Madeline Kahn was great as Pauline in her rambling, eccentric role. I'm just grateful this show is back on in syndication in Houston on UPN 20 for 1 Hour, and on TBS at 11:30E/10:30C

A good series but is missing something.

Author: Danorgan from Maryland
2 May 2000

This is a good series and it is sad to see it go next season but there is just something missing in the series. It's not as funny as The Cosby Show but the cast members on there this last season are grown up and we all liked seeing Cosby as "America's Favorite Dad" as the TBS Superstation says. I guess that's it or there's something else. I just don't laugh as much as I do at The Cosby Show. But all in all, it was a good series and it's sad to see it go. Perhaps Bill Cosby and Phyllicia Rashad will do more work together since they have made a great team on both series.

Classic Cosby

Author: Kimberly Owens from United States
12 August 2008

I sincerely hope that at least the first season of Cosby is released on DVD someday. The episode with Hilton's eccentric genius brother, George (played by the late Roscoe Lee Browne), is classic hilarity. It reflects the classic sibling rivalry and love between brothers whose lives took different paths but both ended up happy.

Mr. Cosby and Ms. Rashad brilliantly recaptured the chemistry that they shared on The Cosby Show for many years and to put them in a more middle-class role shows the dimensions they can take as artists.

The roster of comedic dynamite...Madeline Kahn, Phylicia Rashad, and Mr. Cosby ...classic genius!

Bill Cosby, Phylicia Rashad and... Madeline Kahn!

Author: Tommy-92 from Baltimore, Maryland
20 January 2000

No, this show is not as good as The Cosby Show and its quality has been varying in the past few years. However, four years away from weekly TV screens did not diminish Bill Cosby's ability to make us laugh, or his chemistry with Phylicia Rashad. Both are in fine form. Doug E. Doug is funny in this often, as well, but by far the most invaluable member of the cast was the late, great Madeline Kahn, who has apparently been overlooked for her work here as she was overlooked so many times in her life. Her effortless, hilarious form of ditzy comedy really helped the show a lot, especially in the first season. It was great to see the cast pay tribute to her in a recent episode, which featured many hilarious clips showcasing her. Without her, who knows how the show will end up?

Cosby and Rashad Are Back Together Again

Author: JennLynn from Asheville, North Carolina
23 August 1999

The Cosby Show ended. America wanted it back, they never wanted it to go in the first place. But this brings back a fresh new look at the masters of comedy, the best couple for the job- Phylicia Rashad Bill Cosby. I loved the Cosby Show, it was better, but what a good replacement!!!

Petition for Cosby

Author: blue_jeremy from Australia
7 February 2009

This A Petition to get Cosby put to DVD . Sign it. http://www.petition.fm/petitions/cosbydvd/1000/ http://www.petition.fm/petitions/cosbydvd/1000/

http://www.petition.fm/petitions/cosbydvd/1000/ http://www.petition.fm/petitions/cosbydvd/1000/ v http://www.petition.fm/petitions/cosbydvd/1000/

Great cast; writing good at first, went downhill later

Author: Comrade Genghis (avocadomanland@hotmail.com) from East Coast, USA
21 October 2000

Overall the short four-year run of this series was enjoyable. This is due in large part to an excellent cast, including (of course) Bill Cosby, Phylicia Rashad, and the late Madeline Kahn. The supporting cast, including Doug E. Doug and T'Keyah Crystal Keymah, was also wonderful. The show was clean, hip, and classic Cosby. Some classic moments in the beginning; after Madeline Kahn left the series (and sadly passed away shortly afterward), it was never the same. Darien Sills-Evans is a good enough actor, but he was no substitute for "Pauline." In addition, COSBY unfortunately became CBS's dumping ground for government-sponsored "public service messages" disguised as sitcom plots. In COSBY's last days, the scripts weren't as good anymore either; uneven writing in the end was what did the show in, leaving behind some classic moments from the first few years.

A must-see CBS hit!

Author: Grace Zeh (filmgirlgz@gmail.com) from Chantilly, Virginia, USA
24 January 2006

"COSBY," in my opinion, is a must-see CBS hit! I'm not sure if I've never seen every episode, but I still enjoyed it. It's hard to say which one is my favorite. Also, I really loved the theme song. If you ask me, even though I liked everyone, it would have been nice if Madeline Kahn hadn't passed away during the show's run. Since that happened, I've always wondered what the show would have been like. Everyone always gave a good performance, the production design was spectacular, the costumes were well-designed, and the writing was always very strong. In conclusion, even though it can be seen on TBS now, I strongly recommend you catch it just in case it goes off the air for good