IMDb > "3rd Rock from the Sun" (1996) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"3rd Rock from the Sun"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"3rd Rock from the Sun" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

Lively, original, and intriguing sitcom!

Author: birdbrain55 ( from Vancouver, British Columbia
29 August 2000

My remorse at not discovering this wonderful comedy before its syndication origins last fall cannot be matched. I didn't even find the show as enjoyable at first as I do now until a time later still, when I unearthed the roots of the plot and actually comprehended the inside jokes. I find this a phenomenal, unique show, a refreshing touch amidst an enormous accumulation of 'single-people-in-the-city' comedies (although some of these are worthy amongst themselves). I love the ingenious concept of providing insights of human culture, civilization, and particularly behavior in such a comical, hilarious method. Bizarre components of humanity I would never have noticed are cleverly pointed out in this terrific series!

The entire cast does an outstanding acting job, each performer portraying their character as vividly and illustriously as possible. From the moment I was introduced to Dick, Tommy, Sally, and Harry, I fell in love with them - each one is so comical and likeable, their separate characteristics distinctly shown, yet their vulnerability blends them in so closely.

John Lithgow does a brilliant depiction of the hopelessly gullible and seriously self-centered Dick Solomon. His emphatic, articulate voice and precise comic timing are simply excellent. Joseph Gordon-Levitt, as my favourite character, the charming Tommy, is just as equally talented. The notion of having the oldest, wisest alien reduced to a teenager is hilarious. His intelligence, quirks, and constant snappy wisecracks are marvelous.

Kristen Johnston as Sally is an absolute scream. Though not as conceited as Dick, she is very advantageous of her outrageously attractive self, and boisterously so. Mini-skirts look terrible on a tall, leggy person, but Sally doesn't seem to think so! Finally there's oddball Harry (French Stewart), who contributes more than is necessary to his share of 'stupid humour' on the show, but his part is very cunningly scripted and acted, making him flat-out hilarious rather than just stupid and senseless. His nearly-closed eyes, those incompatible, goofy patterned clothes (furry jacket!), and that voice, oh, classic.

The amusing supporting characters are nothing to sneeze at either. Deadpan Jane Curtin as the neurotic Mary, Simbi Khali as Nina, with her humorous keen remarks, the deliciously funny Elmarie Wendel as the eccentric, lustful old lady Dubcek (`Italian gentleman. very nice.'), and Wayne Knight as Officer Don, he cracks me up with his chubby figure and inability to yield to Sally's charms! The assortment of dim-witted students in Dick's physics class are great too: idiots Pitman, Bug, and especially Leon, and the chatty Caryn, are always funny.

Interestingly enough, 3rd Rock has featured a collection of very impressive guest stars over the years - Kathy Bates, William Shatner, Michael Hasselhoff, John Cleese (don't miss his episodes!), and many colourful others.

The script is sincerely superb, each episode providing fresh new laughs, renewing old ones and an intriguing scenario. In a way it is less a modernistic sitcom-type show than a comic book put to life. It's the subtle, clever jokes that make me believe this. Meanwhile, 3rd Rock is chock-full of various jokes and gags ranging from clever satire, dirty humour, sarcasm and wit, and other forms of amusement that don't need classification.

Kudos to everyone involved in this fabulous, hilarious production, and let's hope for many more glorious seasons!

Oh My God!!! I'm Gorgeous!!

Author: dtrulez from Nugegoda, Sri Lanka
12 August 2003

err.....grrr....arrgghhh!!! "In Coming Message From The Big Giant Head"

Ever Since Harry (French Stewert) said "You Know Dick....." (In his nasal voice)for the first time I knew that this would be a Brilliant series! When the aliens discovered their human forms (And Sally's Boobs!) They started learning little by little everything that WE take for granted! I say Everyone who appeared on this series were simply BRILLIANT actors and nobody would argue with me! From the first time I saw the high commander salute I salute in no other way!!! My forehead is still sore! Thank you 3rd Rock for 5 wonderful years of bellycramping laughs!! Rock On!!!

This message will end in 5....4.....3....2.... Haaachewww!!!

What did I miss???

Very funny

Author: MovieAddict2016 from UK
14 January 2002

"3rd Rock from the Show" is a very funny comedy series about a group of aliens disguised as humans. John Lithgow (one of the most underrated actors of all-time) is fabulous as Dick, the confused and overly dramatic alien posing as a college professor (I think - it's been so long since I've seen this on TV!). Sally (Kristen Johnson), Tommy (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) and Harry (French Stewart) all join in on the fun as his clueless, bumbling pals - Tommy is an old alien in a teenager's body, Sally is a male in a female's body (or so we are led to believe). Harry is a walking radio who receives incoming transmissions from their home planet.

It may sound silly but that's the entire point! It has some very funny quotes like, "Last week I didn't even know the difference between Bill Pullman and Bill Paxton!" Dick: "Pullman is the fat one." "I know that now!" (or something like that). A lot of it has to do with pop culture and as a result you may have to be American to "get" some of the jokes.

One of the top ten greatest television shows of all time. Miserably underrated. It gained a strong cult following while on TV and was awarded with many Emmy nominations but never really become as successful or popular as "Seinfeld," etc. Too bad.

Toooo funny!

Author: elizabethbennett from United States
14 October 2002

This comedy is one of the funniest to grace the tube. These people are TOO FUNNY and I wish it was still in first run but glad to see it in syndication! John Lithgow and Jane Curtin are BOTH great comics and I would love to see a 3rd Rock reunion someday, a definate +10 on my scale! Definate must see TV!

One of the best shows!!!

Author: Hollyinskies from Kansas
28 October 2004

This is one of the best shows put out! It really feels like your in a theater watching a play. 'Dick' is the best character, hes funny and bossy and quite the simpleton when he wants to be. I love the way he expresses his feelings through his facial expressions. I would be entertained just watching him, with no sound. and 'Harry' is definitely the next best character. i love the way he dresses...the fur coat and his suspenders and bright shirts. plus, hes very funny. he gives off the impression that he is the youngest alien even though tommy is. i love how innocent and sweet he seems.

3rd Rock is not your A-typical show, it doesn't deal with real life and regular families and friends. every character in this show is weird and crazy and doing their own thing. i think its better this way. i get tired of watching the same old shows with a husband and a wife. problems with the kids or work or each other. its very refreshing to see a show where they have crazy situations and answers. plus it fun to see what it might be like for an alien to come to earth and not know how to deal with their bodies, or relationships, or school and work.

One of the funniest shows in the universe

Author: Op_Prime from Ardmore, PA
5 January 2000

3rd Rock From the Sun is one of the funniest shows to ever air on televison. The actors are all great, especially John Lithgow who is the funniest. It's a brilliant series with so much originality. Anyone who thinks this show isn't funny, obviously needs their heads examined. This is classic television that will be remembered for years to come.

i loved this show!

Author: dettus from weyhe, germany
24 December 2004

i totally loved this show!

instead of all the other sci-fi- or fantasy-centered sitcoms (like for example sabrina) this one didn't rely on heavy special effects. instead, the "alien" feeling came through the actors performance. it was exaggerated, sure, but in a very VERY good way. my favorite episodes where the ones where harry turned into a transmitter. in one of the last episodes he transmits an alien-award show and you can see him dance on behalf of the ballet. when you look closely you can even see kristen johnston (sally) nearly fall out of character. it was so hilarious, you could see her biting the insides of her cheeks not to start laughing and ruining the scene. and my favorite dialog was her asking dick "why am i the woman"-"because you lost".

Author: colinwhitefan
12 June 2003

I never watched this show when it actually came on NBC, but I continue to watch the reruns everyday and I find myself asking why didn't I pay more attention to this show, but I am glad I have a chance to catch up what a funny show. John Lithgow is great the the high commander Dick Solomon and his supporting characters Tommy, Sally, and Harry aren't annoying and keep you laughing add Wayne Knight as Officer Don Orville and Jane Curtin as Mary Albright and you have yourself a good sitcom there is a reason it lasted 5 years. Watch the reruns if you can!

LOve It, Love It, Love it LOVE IT!!!!

Author: Jeff Colvin ( from BR, La.
14 September 1999

I love this show. John Lithgow, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, & Jane Curtin give excellent performance. The funniest people on the show are of course Kirsten Johnson, French Stewart, and Jan Hooks. Kirsten plays Sally Solomon a 6-foot tall, sexy model type, who really was a guy on her home planet and was a great warrior. French plays Harry, the stupid and hilarious guy who is the somewhat communication reciever from The Big, Giant Head. and Jan plays Vicki, Harry's lover. Jan Hooks is such a fox! I give 3rd Rock from the Sun(who you haven't guessed, they mean Earth, i'm sure you already know that) 10 stars on the jeff Scale! Thank you drive through.

Author: beckrbug from Long Island
12 November 2004

I came upon this show late at night recently because I couldn't sleep. I forgot how funny "3rd Rock" was! I was laughing hysterical at numerous points of the episode! I love the premise, the characters, the antics, their views on humans! Dick is soooo damn funny!!!! Yelling and screaming for Mary. Classic. Fabulous. French Stewart is a little irritating but Dick and Sally and all the others make up for it. I love that knome too, who sits on the franklin stove. Reminds me of that Travelocity Roaming Knome (SO GOOD!) Those commercials are worth watching. Back to the point. Try to catch this show. Over here it's on late Friday and Saturday's, if not more (Eastern USA).

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]