IMDb > Ulysses' Gaze (1995) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
To vlemma tou Odyssea

Ulysses' Gaze More at IMDbPro »To vlemma tou Odyssea (original title)

Page 5 of 5: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5]

You get what you pay for....

Author: seashellz from United States
15 August 2001

hmmmm... Crack and Heroin are illegal, yet brain-mush producing films like TOMB RAIDER and GONE IN 60 SECONDS are not....go figure...oh, I might on occaision see one of them...and it is true if I am in a ADD-impaired mood, I cant sit down with films like SOLARIS, or ULYSSES GAZE... but when I am in the right mood...the haunting magic of films like this cannot be described. and the rewards of watching such films makes me wish that Hollywood would be destroyed by Earthquake...the scene of the giant statue being transported by barge are the most memorable ive seen...

Rated (B) for boredom

Author: simon-218 from Sydney, Australia
21 July 2000

This film is irredeemably tedious. The characters are unengaging. The acting is dreadful. I would criticize the plot if the film had such a thing. 3 hours of Harvey K trudging up cobblestone streets with disjointed historical flashbacks is pathetic self indulgence by the director.

One of the few movies I was unable to watch until the end

Author: yannis-8 from Tsukuba, Japan
21 October 2000

This movie is heavily pessimistic and grave. I was unable to watch it until the end. I liked the older movies by Angelopoulos: O Thiasos, Taxidi sta Kithira, O Megalexandros. Certainly the facts he wants to show are tough, but there is no need to martyrise the spectator for that... This movie was a disappointment to me

At the end the movie has been spoiled by Serbian propaganda.

Author: Slobodan Kosanovic (skosanovic) from Bosnia and Herzegovina
9 June 2005

As a citizen of Sarajevo who has spent all four years under the siege of the city in nineties in Sarajevo, I can confirm that nobody has been killed on the streets of Sarajevo because he or she was of Serb nationality. I can say that during the war in Bosnia, streets of Sarajevo were safer place than they are today. To throw bodies into the river flowing through Sarajevo is also nonsense. After the Serbian family has been killed on the street, the Muslim soldier in the movie says "Throw bodies into Miljacka!" and it has been translated as "Throw them into the river!", because an average movie viewer cannot know the name of the river flowing through Sarajevo. Whoever visited Sarajevo knows that Miljacka river is very shallow and through the history nobody was throwing dead bodies into it. That couldn't happen ever.

The end of the movie, when we have scenes from the Bosnia war, was heavily influenced by Serbian public media propaganda. These scenes do not help foreigners to better understand anything about Bosnian war.

From the technical point of view, all scenes in the movie supposed to happen in Sarajevo, were taken in another destroyed Bosnian city, Mostar. Producers used heavy fog to cover the fact that the scenes on streets are not taken in Sarajevo.

SHEER RUBBISH

Author: jm (koreaattack@yahoo.co.uk) from United Kingdom
15 March 2003

i can't think of any movie maker as pretentious and arrogant as

this greek cinema amateur. Theo Angelopoulus should be jailed

for doing this and for what he has been doing for years.

I wasted £2.5 to rent the video and even though is a small amount

of money I should have asked for a refund or, even better, to get

paid for watching this film. It is so boring, without any interest at all and it last for so long. It is

a real nightmare. Harvey Keytel is out of place, the still shots last

forever without any reason, there are too many pretentious scenes,

the movie lacks quality, etc... You'd better have the control with fast forward handy !!

The worst thing is that Theo thinks he is a poet of cinema, that no

one is above him, that he has the last word in cinema. It is

unbelievable that someone could even think about producing his

movies. Theo is nothing but an arrogant lunatic, someone who

has lost the plot and who lives isolated in his own world.

Most Boring Film Ever

Author: Stefan Maric from Split, Croatia
22 November 2001

I can't believe that this dullest of dullest movies (except maybe for Eraserhead) had an average rating of 7.3. How could people rate this over 2 let alone 7? This is just painful and agonizing to watch. I've never known so many scenes that have been stretched to the limit, without anything meaningful or interesting happening. Harvey Kietel looks bored, confused, and dazed. He has the same expression on his face the whole movie. How could anybody watch this over again? I wish I could give this a 0/10, because rating this a 1/10 is too kind.

Boring, tedious and a waste of time

Author: Apollo-14 from Athens, Greece
27 March 1999

Theo Agelopoulos is known for his long and boring movies, but this one takes the cake. He has no sense of universal ideas and themes; he is strictly political and ethnocentric and his movies can only interest Greek professors and nerds as well as the French intellectuale. His writing is stale (if not dead) and his directing is unforgivably deliberate. Stay away from this movie.

declarative and empty of filling or flesh

Author: gospodinBezkrai from Plovdiv, Thrace, Bulgaria
21 January 2005

I am surprised that so many people commented positively on this film!

Mr. Angelopoulos was trying to be epic and grandiose but he is just hollow. I had the impression that all the time he was saying: "O mortals, behold how much we, Greeks, have suffered over the century!" Yet, maybe except for Sarajevo at the end, there was not a single scene in this film, directed so that it will make one share a compassion for the things you see. Until the orchestra and fog of Sarajevo, all the feelings in this film remained declared but unfleshed.

Many people here compare it to Underground. But Underground made me cry. While Odysseus only made me angry and later made me indifferent.

By the way, it made me angry because it portrays a very unobjective helleno-centric view of the developments of the region. I do come from this region and I do have a pretty good knowledge on its history so this film cannot deceive me, but it would probably deceive thousands of viewers worldwide! I wouldn't complain about such an ethnocentric narrow-minded view from an average Greek citizen - all our nations are faulty in this regard. But definitely not from an artist claiming the standing of Mr. Angelopoulos!

In fact, if you wonder how the infamous "deep-rooted tribal hatred" of the Balkans comes about - you might want to watch exactly this film as an example of an instrument to that end! The main suggestion of the film is that Greeks are the only fine people on the peninsula (similar feelings run in every country in the region). Despite, or because of that, they are awfully mistreated by the barbarians of the north for a hundred years. The barbarians of course are types living in total misery - both material and spiritual.

Page 5 of 5: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5]