IMDb > Underground (1995) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 7 of 13: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

The end of cinema

Author: KaiserS from Sofia, Bulgaria
28 October 1998

This movie is so brilliant that for about a year after watching it I seemed to dislike any other movie I went to see... One of the greatest movies ever - unfortunately it will never be recognized by the public, because it is hardly apprehensible for anyone born outside the Balkans... I would like also to express herewith my disagreement with those critics(and there were many of them) who used political arguments in reviewing this movie... That is another reason why many people didn't see "Underground" - I pray for them to get a second chance...

Fantastic

Author: MusicaEternal (martinclarke70@gmail.com) from Wales
18 March 2007

This is amazing film about independence, betrayal, loyalty, love, pain, struggle and everything inbetween. Cinematography is amazing, amongst the best I've seen. No Hollywood rubbish or cliché here, this is a totally originally picture that is vivacious and poignant. All the actors give great performances as well. A fitting tribute to Yugoslavia and those who lost their lives trying to preserve it. I must see the five hour long picture of this, because this is real cinema, pure, and untainted. So if you are tired of the many films of the West that are coated and lavished in high production but little substance, then try and track this one down, because it says a lot more than many films, much of it without words. (Imagery is incredible). Highly recommended!

Serbian Realm

Author: EyesWideClockwork
1 April 2017

Extraordinary. Profound. Profusely emotional. Is this one of the greatest films ever made?

A special film.

This is a film of absolute madness, immense energy. There are so many memorable moments here; it would almost do a disservice to pick a few out, but the first scene may be the special one, as , when it appeared, I knew this was going to be special; this scene was the first fight scene, where the music gets louder; completely electrifying; insanity; free filmmaking.

There are of lot of seemingly similarities to the great; it evokes Fellini; it meanders in a special way, and has a magic, and energy, of the great Fellini. It also seems to bring into question Zulawski; the great, pure energy he brought; the insane energy he brought to his films, and actors; it is like a synergy of both, the double characters, and the concept of a film within a film. It reminded me at times, of L'Amour braque.

It is truly strange, and surreal, at times; but so energetic, it really is unbelievable.

The atmosphere...transports you to the realm of Serbia; utterly incredible.

The news segments scenes are absolutely genius.

This is rare filmmaking; pure filmmaking.

(The trumpets are utterly unforgettable)

I simply cannot believe this films is not more well known; after all, it did win Palme d'Or!

I implore you to watch this; this is a truly special film.

great movie, must watch!! i recommend

Author: wuicho from United States
10 May 2010

Underground is a film that relates a story about an underground gun factory that is created after the German invasion to Yugoslavia. This factory is created by Marko (Miki Manojlovic) inside a basement, basing his power over the people inside by lies. He tells the workers that the war still going and they should keep on building guns to help the communist, even after the war was over. Blacky (Lazar Ritovski) who is Marko's right hand man inside the factory, due to an accident with a grenade gets put inside the factory with the same lie told by Marko, and becomes the figure inside the basement colony. There he follows the communist rule that everything should be done without selfishness to help the colony in general, assimilating a perfect communist colony. This movie reflects the two sides of a war in general; one where you have a leader who is only persuading power and on the other side, that gets trapped inside the basement, you have one fighting for ideals and to help what he considers perfection on his surroundings.

Sad, funny, tragic, facinating, loving and more movie. BEAUTIFUL

Author: websiege from UK
1 April 2003

I saw this movie long ago in Bulgaria, and loved it. Its set in the dark days of the WWII, but the story goes much beyond the war. In a sense this movie is radically different from the "hero" based American pictures. Perhaps that is why not all Americans fully appreciate it.

Friendship and love take centre stage in this epic and the viewer's imagination is stretched to the limit with weird and somewhat sad scenes. This movies develops trusting, doubting, and loving filings in the viewer, and makes you think about the truly valuable things in life like friendship and survival.

The music is amazing and can rival classics like the "Pulp Fiction" soundtrack. However I think it requires understanding of the way of life and traditions of the region. Even though it will surely echo inside you long after the movie is finished.

Definitely worth seeing.

A great movie

Author: izards from Santa Barbara, CA
21 August 2001

This movie was simply amazing; unless you start the movie disliking it you'll love it. If you don't mind that every joke is a bit dark and every smile has a tear then it's a cheerful movie, or if you want to watch a movie about the mistreatment of an entire population this movie is perfect, but expect to be sitting for a while thinking about it afterwards, and I suggest you find someone to talk to about it because this movie is thought provoking.

Touch of Genius

Author: George Psaroulakis (gpsar2000@hotmail.com) from Iraklion, Greece
8 March 2001

You can't say anything against this film. It is one of the best in the history of cinema. It captures the soul and essence of the Balkans and much more than that. It is the first film Emir Kusturicha made after returning to his country past the "american experiment" of his. It is not for everybody and everyone, since it is too politicaly oriented (for some people's point of view - I, on the other hand, think that it is a film about human and feelings, not about politics) and to "Balkan-driven". To fully understand this film you need a good political background and to have some elements of the East in your soul. You just have to watch it. It will move you!

topclass highspeed entertainment. Part one is like Marx Brothers on drugs

Author: AaBerg (chda@mail.djh.dk) from Aalborg, Denmark
8 January 2001

especially part one is good. Part one alone deserves 10. A very entertaining movie. Combines the best of Marx Brothers, actioncomedy and historical movies. The film contains lots of funny scenes, and deserves a second viewing. If you like fistfighting, catstyle shoepolishing, flowers in weird places etc. You should give this movie a chance. One of the best films I have ever seen

What can I say...

Author: rebel_7 (rebel_7@hotmail.com) from Gothenburg, Sweden
5 January 2001

This film is just THAT good. I have only seen it one time and I'm looking forward to seeing it again. During the hole film I had the feeling that there was so many more things to discover, so many more symbolic actions to think about and so much more film to see. I don't grade films, so I'm not giving you a ten, however I'm telling the ones of you who hasn't seen it to see it. And at the same time, go look for Black Cat - White Cat at the same time; another proof of Emir Kusturica's talent.

Destruction and madness!

Author: bzdero (bzdero@hotmail.com) from Split, Croatia
15 April 2000

Ultimate tale of destruction and madness, more visible than in other Kusturica's movies. That is a devils fairy tale that i don't recommend to anyone with sensitive heart or nerves. If death of few men (such as in Tarantino's movies) can be brutal, how brutal can be death of whole state (Yugoslavia). Do you want to know?

Page 7 of 13: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]