IMDb > Underground (1995) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Underground

Underground More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 13: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Absolutely Wonderful!

Author: paperbee from Atlanta, Georgia, U.S. of A.
13 August 2000

I'm hardly a knowledgeable film critic, and I can't really add much that hasn't been pointed out by other viewers about this film, but I can say that it's the first film I've seen that's compelled me to leave a comment here on IMDB.

Take that for whatever it's worth.

The story, writing, acting, cinematography, and ESPECIALLY the music - all top notch! "Underground" is one of those rare films that manages to express its sentiments without resorting to shameless button-pushing. Our Balkan friends can rest assured that it's definitely a film that can strike a chord with American audiences. "Time of the Gypsies" is the only other Kusturica film I've had the pleasure of seeing; I'll make it a priority to seek out his others.

An amazing film

Author: gregorgeous from Dallas, Texas
14 April 2000

Superb, astonishing, brilliant...adjectives fail me here. Kusturica has the guts to deliver that cinematic rarity, an epic comedy--and temper it perfectly with drama and tragedy. And the most extraordinary ending to a film in years! An absolute masterpiece!

Perfect

Author: (ser_kann@yahoo.com) from enschede, netherlands
13 January 2000

it is one of the best film I have ever seen.I really liked it.story is also perfect and Emir Kusturica's special imagines make the film wonderful.I saw other Kusturica films.They are also great.I think Kusturica is going through the Fellini's way.

5 times

Author: kees van der plas from amsterdam
27 July 1999

The first time I saw this movie at the movies, I was really stunned. What a chaotic movies I thought but something told me I had seen something brilliant. Now, after seeing it for about 5 times, I can say that it is indeed a brilliant movie. Sad, funny, vivid, etc.

Go and watch it yourself

The best film of the 1990's

Author: ElAbuelo from Lima, Perú
1 June 1999

Simply a masterpiece and the best film made on the 90's, a mixture of black comedy with tragedy, a film that can really touch you deeply, about what are this people really and how can far they go on, when you see at the end, that they only can be happy after death, after the end of that war, that started to be a war, when brothers are killing each other, the others weren't. In the other life they can forgive each other and can rebuild a country, or a so called paradise that never wasn't there, just after death. An undefeatable spirit that leads into this people, sad when this spirit fight against each other, the city underground is where Belgrado started and finished this new era in the life of a so called country Yugoslavia, a totally perfect view made by Kusturica together with Angelopoulos the best film-makers from Europe, made by the only people that can tell the history of this Brave country.

Simply Perfect 100/100

a magical tale

Author: evangeline from chi-town
15 July 2002

I was browsing through the comments and it occurred to me that I never wrote anything about this amazing and absolutely favourite film! At this point it wont be much since there have been some truly inspired comments. And I have to mention that it makes me feel great that so many people have understood and felt this film for the cinematic beauty that it was.

All I have to say is- hardly has any other movie ever captured the fire that burns us all in such a magical tale of passion and fear and humor as this one has...

Greatest Film Yet!!!

Author: taany2000 from Sweden
17 July 2005

This film is certainly the most entertaining film yet, the story just gets better and better - unraveling every layer possible in the most intriguing way. The characters contain the greatest warmth and humanity in the most comedic sense. The use of music is incredible, given that it came out the same year as the dogma 95 manifesto - it certainly must have inspired the Dane's to only use music that exists on location. There are plenty of metaphors and the build ups are so perfect that the direction of the tale is never obvious.

Anyone who has anything negative to say about this film should be tied up and executed as they have no understanding nor any profound respect for true and pure cinema.

For ever in gratitude to the writer, director, cast and crew! -Nicholas

Superb - absurdly funny yet dark, gritty and profound

Author: grantss from Sydney, Australia
8 April 2017

Belgrade, 1941. Germany has invaded Yugoslavia. In the aftermath of the fall of Yugoslavia, two friends Blacky and Marko organise a residence, attacking German supply trains and depots and stealing weapons from the Germans. After a few years their operation moves completely underground and consists of manufacturing weapons. Marko is the only member of the resistance movement who gets to go to the surface. When the war ends, due to the economic and status benefits to him, he fails to tell the others that the war has ended...

Brilliant movie from director Emir Kusturica. For the large part this is a comedy - some wonderfully absurd scenes and dark humour. Some of the scenes are straight out of the Charlie Chaplin playbook - clever, over-the-top physical humour. Add in a rollicking horn- filled soundtrack and you have a mood that is light and a pace that is quick.

However, it is not all comedy - far from it. There is always a dark element to the film, including showing graphic war scenes in the middle of joyful scenes and slapstick comedy. The early-film sequence of a zookeeper lovingly feeding his animals, followed by the Germans bombing the zoo, leaving dead and maimed animals strewn across the screen, followed by an escaped elephant stealing a man's shoes, is a great example of this. This does well to show the absurd nature of war.

Think Terry Gilliam meets Charlie Chaplin, with killing.

In addition, beneath the absurdist humour lies a simmering theme of nationalism and betrayal. This all comes home to roost in the final era of the film, as the movie closes the loop and some great profundities are revealed.

A movie that is sure to stick in your head, no matter what you think of it.

The Break up of Yoguslavia visually illustrated

Author: Michael Kamal from Egypt
19 December 2016

Well,I didn't know anything before about the history of Serbia and Yoguslavia and I never thought I would write about Underground ... Until before the last five minutes of the movies. The movie starts with a band playing music and two obviously hyperactive men dancing with the music , which sets the tone for the movie being comedy which is unconventional being a movie set during war. The events continue with a tone of surreal comedy evolving all along with a weak streak of drama which became extremely obvious towards the end concluding a perfect Black Comedy or tragicomedy. I won't talk much about the movie itself, just some random thoughts: Emir Kusturica set most of the underground scenes in a post-apocalyptic theme that reminded me of Jeunet's City of the lost children & Delicatessen. With the movie reaching towards the dark end and Events becoming more tragic , I felt nostalgic to the cheerful music and dancing in the cheerful days of Yoguslavia, So I am thinking about the Serbian people and people who lived during these times they would relate even more and more to the movie of course . and the last scene with the people dancing and singing in a piece of land separating from the rest to be lost in the sea , What a visual masterpiece !! This scene is what made write a review because I was overwhelmed by the greatness of the final scene. A Great movie and a masterful documentation for a tragic era and a lesser known part of the history of Humanity.

Movie you must see if you want understand Balkans

Author: Branko Petrovic Era from Uzice, Western Serbia, Serbia
15 August 2015

There is some rumors that no one can betray you as someone really close, like godfather, or that there is no war if brother fight each other.

This is at first story about friendship between two mostly different characters placed in two main roles, Crni and Marko, chasing for love of one woman, Natalia, which in one great musically color-full scene declares them as "there can be made one great made from two of you". In a drama of World War II placed in Belgrade, they will be fighting against Nazi Germans, for freedom and for her love.

Lot of black humor comic scenes in war colored places of Balkan, filmed from genius Emir Kusturica, made this movie "must see" if u "wanna understand Balkan soul".