IMDb > True Crime (1995) (V) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

True Crime (V) More at IMDbPro »

Check Your Brain At The Door

Author: refinedsugar from Nova Scotia, Canada
21 June 2001

Alicia Silverstone is looking for a killer. The sick twisted type. See she's a big fan of those 'True Crime' magazines hence the title. Now I've never been able to grasp the interest of these magazines, but that's of no consequence here. It seems very likely a murder is going to happen and she'll naturally investigate. Along the way hooking up with a police cadet (Kevin Dillon) who's off doing his own investigation. They form an unofficial partnership and from there things proceed pretty much how you expect in these sorts of movies. More bodies show up, as do many suspects, including the police cadet, cue the sexual tension. Can you say predictable yet?

The problem with True Crime like many movies is it has nothing new to say. It's watchable, but you've seen it all done before and to better effect. The premise could be decent, but there is no follow through. It's just another cookie-cutter thriller with way too many red herrings thrown at you and a scene that happens early in the middle half of the movie just ruins it all. I call it the "point of no return". Without giving away too much I'll say this: She ends up investigating a house and finds hard incriminating evidence in and outside the place. Then she gradually seems to forget about it. Time passes and attention shifts to other suspects but why!? Eventually we end up back at square one and yup you guessed it. The person's house which she found all that evidence at turns out to be the killer. Laughable.

True Crime is just below average in the end. The cast is passable, there's a creepy moment or two, but the end of the movie is a joke. Unless you're a big fan of Alicia Silverstone or have lowered expectations for thrillers you should pass. Especially with the blunder the movie makes that means you can easily predict who the killer is going to be. Nevermind the fact that a 16 year old girl is smarter than all the police officers in town put together. True Crime this is not.

very good

Author: g404c
21 January 2006

I saw True Crime when it was first released back in the mid-nineties and I have watched it many times since. It is a great mystery about Mary (played by Alicia Silverstone), a high school senior in a California town who's classmate's younger sister was tortured and killed by an unknown murderer. Mary meets Tony (played by Kevin Dillon), a police cadet who sees how bright she is and they decide to work together to try to find the killer.

Many suspects in this one. True Crime feels very "true" or real to me. I read a newsgroup review where someone wrote that total suspension of disbelief is present here and it is so true. Alicia Silverstone is perfect in this role and Kevin Dillon and Bill Nunn do a great job, as do the other actors. The locations are right on and the writer/director, Pat Verducci, really captures some of the realities of teenage life and of Mary's loneliness (see the scene where Mary awakens from the dream sequence after having viewed the photos she took of Tony). I wish Verducci would make more movies.

I have not seen any other movie quite like True Crime. 10/10

....an entertaining story worth seeing

Author: blue hermit from Gateshead, England
20 August 2001

I searched out this one after seeing the hilarious and linguistically challenging "Clueless" (1995), perhaps Alicia Silverstone's best known effort from early in her film career. "True Crime" has Kevin Dillon, which should be helpful in improving most film projects. In fact everyone in the cast does a good job . The only disappointment I think the movie has for me is an awkward "feel" to some of the scenes, coming from the need to run a quite uncompromising, grown up theme as part of what in tone starts out as a schoolgirl adventure.

Alicia Silverstone is pretty good in this one. She carries off well the naive enthusiasm and growing unease that affects Mary Giordano as she manoeuvres towards the truth behind the serial murders. I reckon her characterization of MG has some mileage in it too. The inference of the story line is that she goes on to a career in law enforcement. It could be really interesting for an older Silverstone to revisit Giordano at a time of crisis later in the officer's life. Just a thought!

"True Crime" shows its director in a good light. Pat Verducci also has the writing credit. I don't know of any other film work PV has done. I can only wonder what happened after such a promising start.

Like most productions, this one has a largely unknown supporting cast, although Bill Nunn (Detective Jerry Guinn) is hardly that. Over the past decade he seems to have been able to secure an impressive number of screen appearances. I recall seeing him recently in "Carriers" (1998), a made for TV presentation with a military theme. Bill Nunn played "Captain Arends". Fans of the classic US TV comedy show "Who's the Boss" may also have an interest in "Carriers" because the leading player is Judith Light, remembered with affection by many because of her lengthy involvement with the show.

"True Crime" could easily not have worked, but it does OK. I think it is an entertaining story worth seeing.

exciting

Author: midnight-moon (me@linkinpark-network.com) from Ankara, TURKEY
18 August 2001

i got to see the whole movie last night and i found it very exciting.it was at least,not like the teen-slasher movies that pop out every now and then.the search for the killer and the 'partner' relationship between the hero&the so-called bad guy was parts i liked about the movie.also,i remember once being on the edge of my seat during a specific scene in the movie.i mean it's exciting.maybe some time later,i might watch the movie again...

A Real Dud!

Author: camraman (camraman51@yahoo.com) from Oak Park, IL
14 September 2000

I try to be very objective when I view a low budget movie. I also apply a lower weight to independent and low budget productions versus the big budget productions. I expect near flawlessness from big budget productions and their studios. Therefore I apply tougher criteria to the major studio releases. But this movie was just a dud. Period. The premise was terrible. The main character, Mary Gordano (Alicia Silverstone), was unbelievable as a high school senior with an unquenchable desire to solve crimes. There was not enough depth in her character or her acting that pulled you into her world. Also, to make this movie more mysterious, the lighting in certain scenes did not set the mood, especially in the warehouse.

Once again another disappointing movie that I could only give three points to.

Schoolgirl Alicia Silverstone looks for a killer

Author: msroz from United States
10 April 2016

"True Crime" (1995) is a thriller and a mystery. A schoolmate of Alicia Silverstone has been brutally murdered and she investigates on her own. She wants to be a cop because her father was, and he was killed in the line of duty. She knows the detective in charge, Bill Nunn, who tries without success to ward her off interfering. Meanwhile she's coming of age. She sees Kevin Dillon hanging around the carnival where the victim was last seen and follows him. She's then informed that he's been assigned to the case as a trainee by Nunn.

As this went along, it got better and better, especially as twists developed and suspects came into view. There was a good deal of surprise to it combined with enough plot details so that we felt suspicious of too easy a solution to the case. While the story did tie up some loose ends, it has plot holes relating to the sharing (or absence of it) of information with Nunn; but this is somewhat understandable and not fatal to the story at all. Most thrillers have such issues. The cinematography is mostly sunny California suburban, although the climax has a darker location. This takes it away from being neo-noir even though a serial killer becomes central to the story.

The acting was all right, more than adequate. No one brought it down and we felt sympathy for Silverstone as protagonist. This is decent work from writer-director Pat Verducci. I liked it; I'd rate it about 6.5 if I could. For my tastes, it's competitive with the bigger and noisier thrillers that have lots of special effects and action sequences. It has a nice bit of philosophical conflict between the nihilism of the killer and the Catholicism of Silverstone. It's nothing fancy or artistic, but it's good journeyman work. However, Ms. Verducci did only one more short after this in 1997 and has no other movie credits. She's become a writing teacher.

I personally rather enjoy seeing movies in which young people are using their wits skilfully and growing up, and it's good to see a young woman as a heroine.

An engaging made-for-video thriller!

Author: OllieSuave-007 from California, USA
11 March 2015

I saw this made-for-video movie on TV once and was quite impressed with it. It stars Alicia Silverstone as Mary Giordano, a student who has an addiction to mystery novels and detective magazines. She uses her knowledge of detective work to intervene in a homicide case, and teams up with police cadet Tony Campbell (Kevin Dillon) to try to solve it.

The chemistry between Mary and Tony were good and the movie has a good thrilling and exhilarating feel to it. For a made-for-video movie, the script made for an exciting plot and kept me engaged, especially when he came to the part when Mary finds herself becoming a victim of her own circumstances.

While the plot may be predictable, it does go at a steady momentum and the acting throughout wasn't bad. Overall, this makes for a good movie to keep you entertained on a slow night.

Grade B

uninspired murder mystery

Author: SnoopyStyle
10 May 2015

Mary Giordano (Alicia Silverstone) is a smart Catholic school girl obsessed with true crimes. She goes to school with her sister Vicki (Marla Sokoloff) and best friend Liz McConnell (Tara Subkoff). Police detective Jerry Guinn (Bill Nunn) is her mentor following her dead father's footsteps. A fellow student Kathleen Donlevy is killed by who turns out to be a serial killer. She investigates with the help of police cadet Tony Campbell (Kevin Dillon).

Mary is a darker teenage Nancy Drew. That has potential and it's interesting to dip her toe into sexual tension. However I wish it's not played up as erotica and it's too broadly done. The murder case is relatively uninspired. It's so uninspired that they investigate a traveling carnival. The actors are pretty good but there are some really clunky lines. I don't like the poorly done dream sequences. Going back to the carnival is bad enough. I don't know how she could still hang on to that carnival ride after being knocked unconscious. This is a borderline movie but I have to go a slightly negative.

Straight-to-tape thriller with both serious and silly ingredients...

Author: moonspinner55 from las vegas, nv
17 October 2007

Alicia Silverstone (pre-"Clueless") plays a modern-day crime-obsessed teenager attempting to solve the brutal slaying of a local girl. Pat Verducci wrote and directed this B-flick, which isn't especially well-made but is however surprisingly serious-minded in regards to its leading character. Silverstone is appealing and successful in carving out an interesting young woman here, despite the picture's kitschy undermining. The supporting cast (including Kevin Dillon and Michael Bowen) isn't bad, though the violence in the last act goes overboard. Not a cheesy camp-fest, but nothing exceptionally memorable either. *1/2 from ****

eh...

Author: ceal_24 from Michigan, United States
4 November 2006

This film was so predictable, that during the entire time you're hoping that the obvious suspect is innocent, and there's some other big twist still coming. However... it doesn't. He just continues to act creepy, and she continues to ignore it. Mary found very incriminating evidence at his place, and she still trusted him? And what was that "baiting the trap"? There was no trap. She confronted him, he said "excuse me. I have to go kill someone" He left, and that was the end of it. They make attempts to use other suspects, (like that one older carnival girl at the end) but they're completely underdeveloped. Actually, all the characters are underdeveloped. They have no depth, and the setting is just plain strange... who hangs out in a recycling factory?? Its choppy and nothing is well developed. For example: When she leaves his place after having the beer, and he finds the pics and she runs out and he catches her and they end up having sex in that car... what was that? Her reactions weren't portrayed. In the car she acted scared like it could have been practically rape- but then all we see is her showering the next morning. booooooooo It could have been so much better.. sooo much better.