Tales from the Crypt: Demon Knight (1995) Poster

109 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
Respectful to the the genre.
Dellamorte_Dellamore0722 August 2004
FREAKING LOVED IT!

This (to me) is a perfect flick for what it's aiming at. Seven people and a drifter named Braker are trapped inside a old church/ new motel while the super cool COLLECTER (Billy Zane, in a role that was meant for him) and his group of nipple pierced, glow in the dark green eyes, cloven hooved, goatee sporting, slimy demons trick and mangle the cast in order to get a "relic" key that hold the power of darkness from taking over the world.

Ernest Dickerson does well in the directing seat. The horror,comedy, and drama all combined nicely and never went over with the drama or comedy. None of it felt forced. As for the characters, I really warmed up to them (even the asshole Roach), all of the actors brought a little something special to their rather thin roles. I'll always remember the sad prostitute Cordelia, the no bulls*** Irene, or the funny "need a drink" hobo Uncle Willie. THE COLLECTOR is the main highlight of this movie. Excellent delivery by Zane. The man is too cool for TITANIC. I loved the way he persuaded some of the residents into selling there soul, it was more then just having the demons come in. The idea of the blood in the key and being able to make barriers of not letting in the demons was pretty slick too. William Sadler and Jada Pinkett brought a lot of drama and humanity to the movie, they served their characters well. The gore is also kick ass and works well (all about that arm getting ripped off, and hand punching through a face) and the demons looked pretty sick

My only complaint is the whole shooting the demons in the eyes to kill them was kinda blah, but Billy Zane has fun with even that ("I SHOULD KNOW, WHO MAKES UP ALL THESE RULES"). This is one cool movie, stands on its own two feet and pays respect to a lot of past horror movies, any true HORROR fan will appreciate THIS. ROCK ON CRYPT KEEPER!!!... thanx for all those hot babes that flash their stuff, it went well with the movie and never felt sleazy.

DEMON KNIGHT ***1/2 out of ****
42 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A fun pastiche of EC Comics pulp
Shawn Watson4 May 1999
I was a big fan of the Tales from the Crypt TV show. Thus, I am a fan of this movie. It feels a lot like one of the Creepshow movies but has enough gore, humor and OTT carnage but it just doesn't have enough scope to brake away from the TV show and stand alone as a big screen movie.

Brayker (William Sadler) is a drifter who stumbles upon a lonely desert town after an explosive confrontation with The Collector (Billy Zane), a supremely evil being with Satanical powers who is desperate to get his hands on Brayker's mysterious talisman. Brayker spends the night in a shabby motel but The Collector soon turns up and unleashes hell upon the motel and it's inhabitants.

This is where the fun really kicks in. The Collector has fun enticing the residents (made up of Dick Miller, Charles Fleisher, Thomas Haden Church, Brenda Bakke, Jada Pinkett-Smith and CCH Pounder) to join him on his dark quest and steal the talisman from Brayker.

Director Ernest Dickerson (who also did Surviving the Game) does not hold back on the gore as he spoofs 1950's B-movies, honor's the TV show and pays brilliant homage to the Tales From The Crypt comic book legacy. It may be nothing more than a cheap, horror comedy with no artistic integrity but Dickerson still successfully pulls of a movie that will satisfy and entertain anyone who watches it.

Half of the movie's appeal lies with Billy Zane who acts out the role of The Collector with such wicked charm and delightful evil. You can tell he's having a great time and he makes a counterpoint villain for Sadler's dishevelled hero.

They could have made more Tales From The Crypt movies, but producers Robert Zemeckis, Gilbert Adler and Joel Silver (Walter Hill and David Giler ducked out) went on to found Dark Castle, the production company behind House on Haunted Hill, Thir13en Ghosts and Ghost Ship.
38 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Billy Zane steals the show
bourenst11 July 2004
Billy Zane raises what would be a decent horror/action movie to a higher plane. His deadpan delivery and funny quips are surprising in a character that is supposed to be the quintessential evil demon. If there was any justice in the world Zane would've been considered for an award. His performance is that good. The special effects look dated now, but that doesn't hurt the movie significantly. The characters are sufficiently fleshed out (pun intended) making them a little more than meat for the rampaging demons. The story, while interesting, doesn't make a lot of sense, at least not the back story. God created the Earth but the demons were already there and had 7 keys which gave them power over the cosmos? Huh? That aside, the movie is well done and Zane's performance is not to be missed.
29 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
awesome
cwa9920 October 2004
one of the best films of recent years... on a budget that is. yes the acting is happy at times (and brilliant in others, William Sadler really showing his skill as the old man tired of running) and the sets are filmsy, the special effects range from mediocre to terrible but the shining diamond here is the script and story. having studied both philosophy and theology i read so much more into this film and truly mark it out as one of the best horror films ever. depth, great concept, brilliant script, wonderful set pieces, and a film that sets up the rules and refuses to break them. if only it hadn't been made with that damn crypt keeper!!!
26 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Hope you weren't expecting a series episode...
Gislef3 September 1998
...because Demon Knight delivers as a theatrical release. Billy Zane gives an incredible performance, but so does practically everyone in this here. There seem to be few good supernatural horror movies out there in this, the mid-late 90's, but Demon Knight is one of the best. It presents an interesting mythology and setup, and you're left to wonder who will get out , and what will be left of them. There's some nice misleading, as we're not really sure what Zane's character's role is in the proceedings until...well , let's say he gives the Sheriff a hand. The framing device of Tales from the Crypt itself is mildly annoying, but it's pretty much gone and over with.
26 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
All guts and real gory!
terrible22 June 2005
During the opening credits, we see a low key car chase over the gloomy tones of "Filter's" "Hey Man Nice Shot", which sets the pace for the gore fest before us. Still clueless as to who's the bad guy, we find the guilty looking Brayker (William Sadler), stumble into a whore house in the middle of a desert, on a stormy night. Soon to follow, is The Collector (Billy Zane), with a kind hearted southern drawl, and his squeaky clean smile. Brayker is trying to hide something, and we don't know what it is, but The Collector want's it pretty bad. By the time The town sheriff arrives to sort things out, we're quite certain that Brayker is the villain. It's not until The Collector punches a hole through the sheriff's head that we begin to see what the film has to offer. The next hour and a half is filled with enough blood and gore to make even the pickiest horror fan stand and salute. Billy Zane is awesome as a mid level demon trying to move up (or down) the ladder and William Sadler, who normally plays smaller rolls, is a believable hero and carries the film to it's gruesome end. I am a horror fan, and this film has consistently remained in my top five since it's release.
7 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Creepy Classic
fullenw23 December 2006
What made this so creepy was that the scenario was in the bad guys favor.Demons have been trying to recover 7 keys for evil intentions. They've already found 6 keys and now they're after the last one.

Billy Zane played the collector demon in perhaps the most underrated bad guy role ever. He was twisted yet so funny. Superb acting especially by William Sadler(as always).

The demons can be killed by anything destroying their eyes or blood from a previous demon knight. Gore, blood and a weird sex scene included also. This movie went all out and broke boundaries.

This is a "pass the torch" movie and its surprising to see who becomes the new demon knight.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Very gory and enjoyable
preppy-330 April 2001
A man named Brayker (William Sandler) is being pursued by the evil Collector (Billy Zane). He holes up in an isolated hotel with typical stock characters and they all try to make it through the night against Zane and his demon army. The first theatrical off-shoot of HBO's excellent "Tales from the Crypt" series. The story is ridiculous, but the acting is good. Jada Pinkett is very good as one of the residents of the hotel and Billy Zane is excellent as the Collector. He's obviously enjoying himself, his character is constantly joking and it rubs off on the audience. Also the film has VERY extreme gore--I'm surprised it got an R rating. And there's the obligatory, gratuitous female nudity. Unfortunately, there's not enough plot for a 90 minute movie. There's lots of padding and it slows the movie down. Still, it's funny, has great gory moments and Zane's performance. Worth catching--especially for horror fans. Avoid at ALL costs, the second (and last) theatrical Tales movie "Bordello of Blood".
15 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Surprisingly good camp kitsch!
The_Void13 March 2006
I can't claim to have seen much of the TV show 'Tales from the Crypt', but I saw Bordello of Blood on TV a few years back and found it to be an enjoyably silly piece of camp. I was expecting similar from this film, and that's pretty much what I got - although Demon Knight is clearly better than Bordello of Blood. The film never takes itself too seriously, and that ensures that it is put across to the audience in the right way. Plots similar to the one featured in this film have been the basis for serious horror films in the past, but the fact that this film has a bit of fun with it is definitely in it's favour. The mythology behind the plot is actually quite good, and follows the idea of a 'collector' who is on the trail of a key bearer. The key he seeks contains the blood of Christ, and there are seven scattered across the globe. This is the last one, and if the collector gets his hands on it could spell the end of the world...the final battle is about to take place, only it happens to be in a motel with a motley crew of different characters.

One of the most surprising things about this film is the cast list! The film features performances from two stars who have received praise recently; Jada Pinkett Smith and Thomas Haiden Church. CCH Pounder, who starred in the critically-acclaimed Baghdad Cafe, appears also, while Dick Miller ensures that there's an ounce of cult status among the cast. The lead roles are taken by William Sadler and Billy Zane. Sadler is good enough, but it's Zane who really makes this film what it is. He gets to enjoy himself entertaining the audience as the lead villain, and ensures that every scene he's in is a lot of fun. For an inexpensive film, the effects are also rather good. They do look cheap, but the demons look more realistic than most computer generated effects. The way that the film pans out reminded me a lot of the Robert Rodriguez/Quentin Tarantino flick, From Dusk Till Dawn in that we've got 'the good guys' trapped with some monsters, and we watch as they get picked off one by one. Overall, this isn't a great film; but its lots of fun, and anyone that enjoys silly horror comedies will be right at home with it.
12 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Severely UNDERRATED!!...6.3?? HA!..This film was EXCELLENT!
stumaczter117 July 2009
I'm gonna keep this short & simple,this film is grrrrreat FUN..from start to finish it has just the right mix of action,adventure,horror,suspense,some comedy,great gore etc. It was riveting & fast paced with ZERO boring moments & it's DEFINITELY going to keep you glued to the screen.The cast was perfect & every single person played their part well.I heard the budget wasn't a big one but you won't notice cause the special effects are pretty decent.The 6.3 rating on here doesn't do this kick @ss film justice at all! Buy it, rent it whatever but SEE it,it's an hour & a half well spent! 10 out of 10 stars!
17 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this