IMDb > Smoke (1995) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 3 of 8: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

Great Movie

Author: cantonsing from New York City, NY
26 August 2002

One of my favorite movies. Great characters, wonderful depth of feeling, I see something new in this movie each time I see it. Has so many layers of meaning in both the story line and the characterizations. I especially love the Christmas sequence at the end, with Harvey Keitel visiting the old black lady in the projects.

One of my favorite movies

Author: ngear-2 from Florida
16 April 2002

I have seen this movie about 6 or 7 times and it is just wonderful. I can see where it might not be for everyone, but I found it beautiful. The video cover is a bit misleading. It isn't really a comedy, even though it has some humor. It IS really a sensitive and literate story about touching relationships between some very interesting characters.

Masterly lesson in story telling, worth a best script Oscar

Author: Ken Whitmore (kenwhitmore@yahoo.com) from Lake District, England
16 March 2002

There are so many stories here, and so delectably told, that one almost swoons with pleasure. All budding writers should study it for its lessons in how to spin a tale - many tales. Tremendous laidback performance by Hurt and cheeky one by Keitel. It is hard to know who deserves best actor Oscar and who best supporting actor. Certainly should have been best picture of its year and a regular on list of ten greatest films. In brief, I'm impressed.

A truly excellent Movie experience

Author: holo_dan from Royal County of Berkshire, UK
24 November 2001

This is the kind of movie usually shunned by the mainstream, instead of using loads of SFX, it relies on a more valuable asset - it's cast!

Hurt and Keitel are fantastic and bring their character's to life in a grand style - the rest of the cast is great also. Wang's direction is fresh, yet the narrative is not lost in an art for art sake attitude - sweet. Auster's script is also great.

The movies greatest attribute is that it is very human.

VERY NICE MOVIE WHICH I WILL NEVER FORGET,THE CHRISTMAS STORY MAKES ME CRY !!!

Author: ammar.beik from BRNO
5 January 2001

The movie tells the stories with very nicely manner , focusing on life of people like me or you. Trying express beauty of stories which links characters and create friendships. Stories which pleased you and will be never forget !! Harvie Keitel is just excellent.

I like it very much!

Author: neon-11 from Eisenach, Germany
30 April 2000

How can you get the weight of smoke? This film is in my opinion one of the best movies ever made! A declaration of love that couldn't better been made. Brilliant acting actors in a with joy made movie.

In my Top Ten List it lasts on position 2.

A solid, smart, entertaining film.

Author: Gogo-10
8 May 1999

There are some wonderful performances (most notably, William Hurt's) and some great monologues. Sometimes, however, I was bothered by the dialogue which seemed too stylized and called too much attention to itself.

Smoke is the best movie about life.

Author: Sert-2 from Ýstanbul, Turkey
28 February 1999

Excellent story from Paul Auster and wonderful work from Wayne Wang! I've seen this movie about 50 times and I'm going to continue watching it til the end of my life.This masterpiece makes me enjoy the easiest thing that I do by showing the great sides of everyday life. Harvey Keitel is on the top of his career as Auggie Wren. I think this is one of the most difficult characters to play because you have to be very naturalistic. He shows all his talent to make Auggie someone beyond us. There can never be any movie simpler and greater. You have to live this movie.

This is what indies are all about!

Author: Lee Eisenberg (lee.eisenberg.pdx@gmail.com) from Portland, Oregon, USA
4 August 2005

This gem of a movie about a Brooklyn cigar shop, its owner, and various customers, is especially good because it shows how everyone has done something wrong, but they all atone for it. And they all have their own quirks. Owner Augustus Wren (Harvey Keitel) takes the same picture every day, writer Paul Benjamin (William Hurt) knows how to weigh smoke, and Cyril Cole (Forest Whitaker) is looking for his son. Among the other great performances are Stockard Channing as secretive Ruby McNutt. Probably the movie's best aspect is the soundtrack. Released right before Jerry Garcia died, it features some of his songs, plus music from various other artists, old and new. "Smoke" was truly one of the best movies of 1995.

Good stories

Author: brianwlevine from Brooklyn, NY
19 July 2004

A great, slow paced movie that works. Many stories, and the ongoing theme is to figure out which are real, and which are BS. Smoke is centered around a cigar shop in Park Slope (which, by the way, was shot on Prospect Park West and 16th St., NOT 7th Ave. and 3rd St... if you look hard at the street signs in Auggie's photos, you can see the "Prospect Park West" sign...) and Auggie, the owner. The stories come from his own life, the life of his ex-wife, the life of a customer, and a boy with an active imagination and a troubled past. By the end, they are all intertwined. I don't think there's a larger point to the movie other than that people have a million stories to tell, some are real, and some are not.

Page 3 of 8: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]