IMDb > The Shadow of Hate (1995) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The Shadow of Hate More at IMDbPro »

An excellent film to create awareness of the problems of racism.

Author: Anthony Burns from Grand Rapids, Michigan
16 September 2005

This documentary was very powerful and educates the viewer on some of the historical origins of racism in the United States. Prior to watching the film I believed that I had a pretty solid understanding of the subject matter being a minority myself. I couldn't believe how little I knew about the events that were featured and believe that most Americans of my generation (regardless of race) have no understanding or knowledge of some of the events. The featured stories showcase only a handful of real life events that are the dirty little secrets that aren't spoken of when sitting as a student in a history class. For those persons who lived through the events and experienced them first hand, I have a better understanding of prevailing attitudes that still exist as of today and a respect and empathy for their difficult times. Unfortunately, this film is not one that is in wide release and it is difficult to locate a copy. I happened to be lucky enough to view it at a two day seminar (Facing Racism) hosted by the Grand Rapids Area Chamber of Commerce. I would highly recommend this film to any person who believes racism is no longer a major a problem in the United States or for those who are simply interested in broadening their understanding of discrimination.