Sense and Sensibility (1995) Poster

Great intro to Austen
knutsenfam16 January 2018
This fine movie also has generated some fine reviews.here..notably the one entitled "jaded seniors".

Seniors...as in High School seniors--liked this movie!

The teacher who shows it to seniors says thateEven the guys ended up really liking this movie (to their great surprise)!

Sense and Sensibility (the book) is a bit wordy and the plot wanders a bit. Along with removing a few superfluous characters, the plot moves along a bit faster. Yet, the book's main themes and content are not stripped out...Those later reading the novel will still recognize the main characters and their struggles.

I glanced at a Roger Ebert review of this movie. He was a famous Chicago film critic. He didn't "get" this film...after all, there is personal taste. But many people...women AND men...will "get it"

S&S shows up regularly on big box DVD/Blu-ray shelves. It is about $5 US dollars (i.e. cheap).

For moms, grandmas...Consider pairing this movie with a Regency (i.e. Jane Austen) early 1800s empire dress....for your young daughter's favorite 18" doll. Might be a good way to introduce the 9-11 year old girl to Jane Austen!
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Costume drama/romance in early 19th century England with Emma Thompson and Kate Winslet
Wuchak13 November 2017
RELEASED IN 1995/96 and directed by Ang Lee, "Sense and Sensibility" chronicles events in England circa 1810 after Mr. Dashwood dies and legally leaves his estate to the son by his initial wife, which leaves his second wife and their three daughters relatively destitute. This negatively affects the marriageability of both practical Elinor (Emma Thompson) and romantic Marianne (Kate Winslet). When Elinor falls for the handsome Edward Ferrars (Hugh Grant) his kin object and put the kibosh on their blossoming relationship. Meanwhile, the noble but aging Colonel Brandon (Alan Rickman) becomes infatuated with young Marianne, but she is interested in the dashing John Willoughby (Greg Wise). Imogen Stubbs plays the rival for Edward's interest.

If you're in the mood for period piece drama/romance "Sense and Sensibility" fills the bill pretty well. It starts great, gets a tad tedious in the middle, but perks up at the end. The English locations/sets and costuming are superlative. You might want to take advantage of the subtitles to make out all the verbiage and keep track of all the names in the slightly convoluted relationship-oriented plot. In any case, it's interesting seeing Winslet before her big success with "Titanic" (1997) and Rickman playing a straight role rather than hamming-it-up as a goofy villain.

THE MOVIE RUNS 136 minutes and was shot entirely in England (Devon, Norfolk, London, Wiltshire, Somerset and Cornwall, with studio work done in Shepperton). WRITERS: Jane Austen (novel) & Emma Thompson (screenplay) .

GRADE: B
Very Good Adaptation
destinylives5211 September 2017
This adaptation of the Jane Austen novel of the same title stars Emma Thompson and Kate Winslet as two sisters with different personalities who do their best to manage suitors and a much downgraded lifestyle than they were accustomed to. Thompson is the eldest sister, reserved and growing an attachment to a man who cannot seem to express his intent toward her; and Winslet is the headstrong, passionate sister who rushes into a romantic relationship with a man who is as passionate and lively as she, but spurns the affections of an older, emotionally reserved man. The secrets of the suitors will eventually be brought to light, and how the sisters handle these secrets will either destroy or uplift them.

My most memorable, movie moment of "Sense And Sensibility" is the scene when Thomson's love interest tells her the full story of why he did the things he did, and how he wants to proceed in the immediate future. I realize it's a bland recounting, but it was done to not spoil what I consider the most dramatic part of the movie.

Everything about this movie is superb…except the running time. At 136 minutes, parts of Austen's novel had to be cut and/or trimmed down; and when you do that, it obviously damages the story. For those who think this adaptation is amazing as it stands, I suggest you watch the near 3 hour BBC version which deserves an A+ rating.

Mannysmemorablemoviemoments
Excellent adaptation
JLRVancouver28 August 2017
1995's "Sense and Sensibility" is lovely look at the mores and manners of Regency England (at least as seen through the eyes of Jane Austin and scriptwriter Emma Thompson). The production is outstanding as is the script and the acting, especially Kate Winslet and Alan Rickman (and in a much smaller role, Hugh Laurie). I'm new to Austin's writings and the film versions of her books, but I thoroughly enjoyed this film.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Beautiful
Faith Marshall22 July 2017
This is an excellent movie exhibiting the book by Jane Austen. Everything, from plot to actors to set to characters to singing (it's not a musical, but a girl did play the piano and sing while at it), was perfect. I could go on and on, but the main things I want to say are that the plot was powerful and well-done, there was some witty humor, and I really liked the character Colonel Brandon. It was very heart- touching, and every little bit was important, yet it wasn't confusing or complex. Colonel Brandon was my favorite character. He was serious, yet kind, and he kept on giving and helping even when rejected or having no sign of being cared about.

This is a beautiful movie. If you haven't watched it, you need to.
A mediocre story
Mihai Toma18 July 2017
After three sisters and their mother are sent away from their home by their greedy step-brother who inherited all the fortune, they are forced to live in a small remote cottage. Obviously, their salvation remains in marriage with a wealthier partner who can offer them a better life, but this aspect will prove to be much harder than expected, as the pretenders can hardly accept such poor wives.

It's a movie which presents the difficult lives of three sisters who are forced to live in poverty after their father's death. Although they fall in love pretty soon after, their lovers leave them as sudden as they appeared, leaving them hopeless, especially due to their social position and lack of wealth. Although it had a quite interesting premise, the result proved to be a mixture of boredom and seemingly pointless events which ultimately lead to a predictable and unsatisfying happy ending. It left an impression that it simply lacked any perspective, with simplistic characters and action, bound to make you yawn at an alarming rate. While it's not a bad movie overall, it lacks a strong premise and overall suspense, which leaves you without any feelings for the characters and their unfortunate fate. It failed in attracting the viewer and convincing him that its characters deserve a better future than they have, thus leaving him (the viewer) without any satisfaction after the end.

It's a below average movie which can be easily skipped.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
In the Name of Love, Marriage and Conveniences...
ElMaruecan824 March 2017
If it wasn't for Jane Austen's novels and their screen-adaptation, we wouldn't be much familiar with the English gallantry and the bourgeois manners of the early 19th century. Her oeuvre encapsulated a time where women didn't have a way to go through life without landing on the "marriage" square, hardly an issue to please feminists but who would call Austen traditional or submissive for all that? She respected the conventions but made powerful social commentaries in the indirect sense that her female protagonists never married someone they didn't love. Marriage was the end, but love was the means to achieve it, while marriage of convenience was the privilege of the mediocre ones.

Now, there is an interesting point of comparison between her two most celebrated novels: "Sense and Sensibility" and "Pride and Prejudice". "Sense" was Austen's first success, written at a very young age, yet it deals with characters evolving in the realm of adulthood, while in "Pride", written by an older Austen, the heroines are the Bennett Sisters who aren't older than twenty. It is just like Austen was a painter who had to go to the top of the mountain to have a clear view on a plain after having painted the mountain from the plain. With enough experience and wisdom, she was able to make a brighter portrait of a young generation who get the man through their actions. In "Sense", the Dashwood sisters are fully-dimensional characters, Elinor (Emma Thompson) is reserved and introverted while Marianne (Kate Winslet) is romantic and flamboyant, they're more mature than the Bennetts sisters, but at the expense of their reactivity.

In "Pride", luck and men's valiance were not elements to count on, and many round trips allowed the heroine to confront her suitor. It is possible that "Pride" was a bit too modern while "Sense" was more obedient to the perception of women's role at the time (rather static), but the directing by Ang Lee and the screenplay worked in such a way that the quest for marriage isn't actually the most interesting part of the film. And while I don't think I give away the ending by saying that each one will find the true love, it's obviously not the point of suspense; the real question is how these people interact. And just like your typical Austen's stories, there's a good deal of passions and deception, or romantic studs popping up at the right moment and forcing the women to all align in the house to promptly welcome their host. Some are dark and brooding (Alan Rickman) other shy and amiable (Hugh Grant) and a few too perfect to be true (Greg Wise) but they all have one thing in common, they're conveniently called to office in London whenever marriage seems too close, a snobby bitch or karma playing the same game postponing the overdue rendezvous with destiny.

But as predictable as these films are, their quality is elsewhere, starting with the acting. Literary movies have this quality that the abundance of words and plots can sometimes distract from simpler moments that actually elevate them more than any monologue or speech. This moment occurs when Edward (Grant), is ready to confess something to Elinor. They have spent enough time together to grow a deep feeling. He's about to say something about his… you expect the word "feeling", he says "education", and you can see something click in the blink of an eye in Thompson's face, 'devastation' as it would really show in a woman who learned to hide her feelings. There's no doubt that Emma Thompson is one of the greatest actress of her generation. On the other hand, Marianne will also face abandon and the reaction will fit her passionate personality. While, the plot in itself can be summed up by women waiting for the right men to come, so (God forbid), they don't end up as bitter spinster, there is more to enjoy, the text and more importantly, the subtext.

And on that level, Jane Austen's stories are exhilarating hymns for eloquence and literacy, whether when the characters write intimate correspondences, share their personal thoughts with their friends or relatives or try to convey a strong message by still respecting the conveniences, I just can't resist by the way Shakespeare's language is being honored. You finish the film and you just want to express your feelings with the same economy of obviousness or flamed passion when called for, and a similar urge generally invade me when I finish the Ivory and Merchant movies. There is something just irresistible in these British heritage films, they make you realize how close we still are to these times by the scale of history, but light-years ahead as far as mediocrity and plainness is concerned.And it's a credit to Austen's writing and Thompsons's rewriting (earning her an Oscar) to have translated the story in a tone that wouldn't make feminists' neck hair stand up and wouldn't portray men as misogynistic pigs.

The film says something important: the strength of your character doesn't depend on what he or she accomplishes but how it can strongly affect your own feeling or how can they resist the cruelties of life without necessarily triumphing over them. All through the film, I was totally rooting for Marianne, Elinor, their mother (Gemma Jones) and the way they endorsed or rebelled against conventions at crucial times where simpler things were complicatedly expressed. Indeed, everything that happened is due to something said, a promise or a misunderstanding. It's all in the way words are used, misused or distorted and that's one of the many delights in this lavish movie.
Remember Jane Austen?
Eric Stevenson9 October 2016
It's great that an author as beloved as Jane Austen has had such a great movie made in her honor. I was confused as to why there wasn't an old version of this done in the black and white days. That was done with "Jane Eyre" and "Pride And Prejudice". I'd have to say my favorite adaptations of them all is the 1943 Jane Eyre with Orson Welles. Anyway, it was weird to just see such an authentic movie. Nowadays, we're so used to films that are nothing but action or humor, but this is quite different. It makes me feel bad that it's been so long since I've read an actual novel. I think my latest one was "War And Peace". Yep, read the whole thing!

I really did feel like I was reading a book while watching this movie. Alan Rickman is the most well known person here, but it should be acknowledged that every actor and actress works hard. The dialogue is what makes this so good. My favorite part might be near the beginning where they're talking about love and money. They really do discuss how you need to be aware of your finances. That's mostly where the title comes from. Sense is like logic here and sensibility is like emotion. It has a victorious ending too. It wasn't intentionally made as a period piece, but it's still a great story no matter when you set it. ***1/2
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The best-known film version of Sense and Sensibility
Red-12510 June 2016
Sense and Sensibility (1995) was directed by Ang Lee. It's based on the novel by Jane Austen, with screenplay by Emma Thompson. It stars Emma Thompson as Elinor Dashwood, Kate Winslet as Marianne Dashwood, Hugh Grant as Edward Ferrars, and Alan Rickman as Colonel Brandon.

Many people reading this review will be familiar with the Austen novel. It's a work of genius, and is as popular now as when it was written more than 200 years ago. The novel (and film) emphasizes the unhappy status of upper-class women in early 19th Century England. Gentlewomen had very few choices because they couldn't work outside the home, which meant that they were dependent on their husband for all things.

Such is the case of the Dashwood sisters. By law, their father had to leave his home and fortune to his son by his first marriage. His widow and daughters received virtually nothing. They may have wanted to marry for love, but they had to marry someone who was able to support them. Sadly, everything pivoted around making a "good" marriage.

Elinor Dashwood represented "sense," that is practicality. Marianne Dashwood represented "sensibility." Clearly, the meaning of this word has drifted after 200 years. For us, "sensibility" implies "sense." However, for Jane Austen, the work had a meaning closer to "sensitivity." The sister with sense is pragmatic, the sister with sensibility is romantic and impractical.

Kate Winslet is charming as the sister with sensibility. Emma Thompson is a great actor, but I believe she is miscast. She looks more like Kate Winslet's mother rather than her sister. (Thompson was 36 when the film was produced.) Hugh Grant is well cast as Elinor's suitor. Alan Rickman is ideal as Colonel Brandon. (We think of Rickman playing the role of a villain, but he has a much broader range than that.)

There are four Sense & Sensibility versions available on DVD. I've seen and reviewed the 1971 version, directed by David Giles, and the 2008 version, directed by John Alexander. There's another version, from 1981, directed by Rodney Bennett, which I haven't seen.

It's very interesting to see how three different directors, working with three different casts, can give us three different versions of the same novel. It would be interesting--but tedious--to pick out the "best" Elinor, the "best Marianne," etc. However, there are real differences among the versions. It's the same novel, but it they're not the same movies.

You'll have to see them all to make up your mind about which version you like best. Ang's Sense and Sensibility was meant for theaters, so something is lost on the small screen. Even so, it works well enough on DVD.. Find it and see it. You won't be disappointed.

Note: Look for Hugh Laurie in a small supporting role. He's excellent.
Near-perfect
jwiley-8629216 May 2016
As a work of art, this movie comes closest to perfection in my eyes. Every moment there is something beautiful to look at--costumes, scenery, animals. It would be remiss of me not to mention Patrick Doyle's score, the musical embodiment of all that is good and compassionate. The story is also wonderful, of course (btw, my favorite Austen work.) We come to love these characters and feel sad for them--except Willoughby. I believe Austen wants us to come away mad at him for not knowing better than to almost ruin Marianne's life!

To me, Marianne is the heart of the story. She is very young and makes mistakes, but we're supposed to sympathize with her: as they say, you live and you learn, and Marianne does so. Kate Winslet helps her be so endearing. And you can never go wrong with Emma Thompson or Alan Rickman. He and Winslet are the perfect match. This is the best love story on film. Eat it, every other romance movie ever!
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Hearty recommendation from a non-fan
MissSimonetta23 January 2016
Okay, non-fan might be too strong a description; I just find it hard to get into Jane Austen, though I do enjoy Pride and Prejudice. I caught this 1995 version of Sense and Sensibility on TCM last night, solely because of Emma Thompson and Alan Rickman being present, and was shocked at how riveted I was from start to finish.

Complete with handsome production values, fantastic direction from Ang Lee, lovely cinematography, and of course, the excellent performances, all make this a charming little romantic dramedy. It's also opened my eyes to just how good an actress Kate Winslet is, having had limited exposure to her until recently.

Great film.
An Understated Masterpiece
atlasmb22 January 2016
As someone who has never read the novel, I went into this film with no expectations. What I got was a brilliant adaptation.

The Oscar-winning script was written by Emma Thompson. The direction is Ang Lee's first of an English film. This romantic story is full of sensitivity and the propriety of its time, when relationships were more about purity than passion.

We learn that the estate of Mr. Dashwood (Tom Wilkinson) is going to his oldest son--by his first wife--John (James Fleet). On his deathbed, the father extracts from the son a promise to take care of his current wife and three daughters. But John's wife, Fanny (Harriet Walker)--who is a self-centered social climber and passive-aggressive--talks him into nearly abandoning his promise.

The three daughters are Elinor (scriptwriter Emma Thompson), Marianne (Kate Winslet) and Margaret (Emelie Francois). Elinor is the oldest sister--practical and experienced. The middle daughter, Marianne, defies conventions and believes that love and passion should be the stuff of marriage ("To love is to burn"). Youngest daughter, Margaret, likes to climb trees and hide under tables.

After they move from their home to a small cottage on a relative's estate, they meet three men who change their lives. Edward Ferrars (Hugh Grant)is a quiet , private man who hates cities. Colonel Brandon (Alan Rickman) is an older man haunted by memories of a squandered love. And John Willoughby (Greg Wise) is a dashing figure of a man, whose tastes run to poetry and wildflower picking.

Class distinctions and money factor into every decision in this world. It's a world lovingly rendered in "Sense and Sensibility"--with beautiful countryside manors of rich interiors and fashions that are both chaste and revealing, in accordance with the era.

The last minutes of the film offer some wonderful moments, attributable to the story and the acting. Kate Winslet, after her role in "Heavenly Creatures" is particularly noteworthy. All three of the men give nuanced performances. The entire film is a cinematic symphony with not one false note.
My dearest
markmuhl11 January 2016
What a wonderful period movie. How could I miss it for 20 years.

To me personally the love story between Elinor and Edward (sense) is by far more touching than Marianne's with Willoughby or Colonel Brandon (sensibility). Elinor's emotional outburst in the end is so perfectly plaid by Emma Thompson that one could not think of the tiniest little bit that would make it any better.

I also want to stress how wonderfully some of the underparts fit into the movie and how much they add to it by embedding the main story lines into a lively environment. Having not read the original novel I cannot tell how this is to be owed to Jane Austen, Emma Thompson or to both of them.

I especially like Margaret (Emily Francois). In her natural and still quite unspoilt behaviour the youngest sister is building a bridge to us people of modern society and does make us feel more connected to the otherwise so far away appearing world of yesterday (although 200 years do not seem to be such great a distance). Apart from that, the acting performance of Francois is quite impressive. Almost every scene with her is bewitching like the one where she is so disappointed that Edward did not bring the atlas himself or the scene where she is stressing out that she likes Mrs. Jennings because Mrs. Jennings talks about things unlike her own family.

Mrs. Jennings (Elizabeth Spriggs) herself is another example of a marvelous character. So annoying she seems to be in the beginning she turns out to be a really warmhearted and consoling person. I especially like her comments on her son-in-law Mr. Palmer like: "Mr. Palmer is so droll. He's always out of humour".

Also her other son-in law Sir John Middleton (Robert Hardy) gives a very interesting character who cares only partly for the strict rules of behavior of his social class. Being a rather simple and straightforward "male" character he quite often does not really understand all the concerns of his female fellow people. This also may sound familiar to some of us. His comment on Elinors's favorite key in F major and his truthful joy about his own somewhat embarrassing joke alongside with Mrs. Jennings always make me laugh when seeing this scene.

I also cannot share the opinion that Emma Thompson then was too old for Elinor's character. Her character straits, that is being sensible and guarded, are much more credible in someone who has already overcome the emotional confusions of the youth. Apart from that it is hardly imaginable that anyone else could have played Elinor's part better than Emma Thompson.

To me this film offers so much: big emotions for the great romantics without being kitschy, a subtle sense of humour and deep insights into a past society. Thank you for this wonderful work.
Masterpiece!
ritu_ruch15 October 2015
Sense and sensibility is the definition of perfection and of the best film ever made based on a book.Jane austen would be proud of such a brilliant adaptation.A film about the two sisters Elinor and Marriame primarily and how they are so different in their sensibilities while Elinor just doesn't express what she feels Marriame is the exact opposite saying everything that is in her mind.Ang Lee direction is a marvel and the set and costumes just are jaw dropping beautiful.Kate winslet, Ema Thompson, Alan rickman, Hugh Grant,Greg wise are just flawless with able support from the entire cast.Ema Thompson expressions and Kate winslet acting are worth every minute to watch.sense and sensibility is one of my favourite films which just blew me away with pure perfection.
Big Screen Adaptation of Jane Austin's book
webber-george31 July 2015
First saw the film I think it was mid 90s, seen it quite a few times since then, I love a good Romance. I think this is one of the best films that have been set in the early 19th Century. The film focuses on two sisters, their loves and loses, their romances I think its a perfect depiction of English Society within the time period concerned.Emma Thompson's script is almost as good as Jane Austin's original book.

Kate Winslet plays a perfect part, dreaming of her beloved Willoughby. Emma Thompson also plays a wonderful part of the older sister. Greg Wise is just amazing in his role of Willoughby. Allan Rickman plays Brandon.

The art, the music, the whole image of the film wonderful. If you haven't seen it yet - what are you waiting for thoroughly entertaining.
Great Classic
lokihattere26 June 2015
From beginning to end this movie has comedy, romance, and angst in it to help move it along. A great adaption to the book and by far the best seen even compared to modern versions. Grant plays the broody character that is quiet and submissive to culture times. Thompson plays the quiet shy mouse that doesn't hesitate to help her family. The side stories that twine themselves to the main characters one way or the other keep it entertaining. The guest starring Hugh Laurie from House MD and Alan Rickman from Harry Potter are a great additions to the cast. By far this movie is 2 hours and 17minutes of a great classic not many other movies compare to.
Ang Lee Does Jane Austen
gavin694223 March 2015
Rich Mr. Dashwood (Tom Wilinson) dies, leaving his second wife and her three daughters poor by the rules of inheritance. The two eldest daughters are the titular opposites.

I never really got into Jane Austen, and I do not believe I ever read "Sense and Sensibility". I had no idea it referred to two characters how they differed. Knowing that now, it makes me appreciate the title all that much more: it is like saying "Reason and Emotion" but with a much more alliterative sound. Heck, more than alliterative.

How this got in the hands of Ang Lee is unknown to me, but I am glad it did. This is an adaptation that makes what could have been a dry, stuffy Victorian tale seem very much alive. And the excellent casting. Emma Thompson, who also wrote the script, is excellent, and the supporting cast: Kate Winslet, High Grant, and all the greats.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Feels Like The 19th Century!
g-bodyl19 March 2015
Sense and Sensibility is a remarkable period piece movie and it explores the themes of love and poverty and the connection between the two. During the nineteenth century, marriage laws very vastly different and more complicated than they are in modern times. Just because you love someone, does not mean you can marry them, as this movie makes perfectly clear. Nonetheless, this movie is a epic, sweeping romance story and it is an impressive feat, because I am not a fan of these kind of romance stories. Luckily for this film, it is far from boring and I felt for all of the main characters.

Ang Lee's film is about a family whose fortunes suddenly disappeared after the death of the wealthy father/husband. Now penniless, the family is forced to find a new home. The two eldest daughters find love interests, but are conflicted because of no finances or dowries in order to provide for marriage.

The acting is one of the strongest suits about the movie. Everyone does a marvelous job and made me feel for each character, whether in positive or negative terms. Emma Thompson, whom also written the movie, does a wonderful job as the logical eldest daughter, Elinor. Kate Winslet does a fine job as the second eldest daughter, the romantic Marianne. I liked Hugh Grant's dashing character, the awkward Edward. Finally, Alan Rickman does a good job as another love interest, Colonel Brandon.

Overall, Sense and Sensibility is a fantastic movie and that is no surprise with Ang Lee at the helm. The film is never boring and you can feel for the characters as they desire for true love, which is nearly impossible due to nineteenth century strict laws. The themes from the classic Jane Austen movie are still here, and it gives the movie a complete feeling and scope of this time period. The costume design and the cinematography are fantastic as well. All-in-all, a fantastic period-piece romance.

My Grade: A-
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
terrific acting from great cast
SnoopyStyle11 March 2015
John Dashwood (James Fleet) is left his father's entire fortune as required by law. The female heirs, his stepmother, half-sisters Marianne Dashwood (Kate Winslet), Elinor Dashwood (Emma Thompson) and Margaret Dashwood are given only £500 per year. John promises his father to take care of them but his greedy wife Fanny convinces him to give them nothing. Fanny's brother Edward Ferrars (Hugh Grant) visits and becomes close to Elinor. Fanny keeps them apart and the women move into kindly cousin Sir John Middleton's cottage. Mrs. Jennings is intent on being a matchmaker. Middleton's military buddy Colonel Brandon (Alan Rickman) falls immediately for Marianne but she is looking for literary epic passion. That's when she is rescued by the dashing John Willoughby (Greg Wise). Only Willoughby has secrets. Mr. and Mrs. Palmer (Hugh Laurie, Imelda Staunton) visit with poor Lucy Steele (Imogen Stubbs) who reveals that she's secretly engaged to Edward for the past 5 years.

This is a cast of terrific actors led by Winslet and Thompson. The great thing that Ang Lee does here in this movie is to let them act. His unobtrusive style is perfect in giving these actresses space to do their work. The other co-starts are also great. Hugh Grant is adorably dorky and Alan Rickman is very compelling. Greg Wise is not the most charming guy in the cast and that is the movie's only handicap. Willoughby is suppose to be this dashing charming character above Brandon. Wise doesn't have that level of presence. Thompson and Winslet are so amazing that the movie can overcome any minor deficit.
One Of The Best Adaptations of Jane Austen's Novel
eric2620039 February 2015
If you take a deeply provocative story like Jane Austen's "Sense and Sensitivity" and deliver an ensemble of talented performers, it total up to one riveting film watching experience. If that's not enough for you, Columbia pictures produced equally poignant DVD features that will really get you fired up along with deleted scenes that you don't want to miss.

The movie follows a lot of the important events from the novel and the reenactment from the thespians make it all seem possible by making it all the more to appreciate the work of Jane Austen and why she was one of the great literary geniuses of her time period.

Our story commences as we see a dying Henry Dashwood (Tom Wilkinson)with his only son John (James Fleet) situated at his bedside. As he lays dying he offers John his final will to him. He leaves his inheritance to him, while leaving nothing to his second wife (Gemma Jones) and his three daughters Elinor (Emma Thompson), Marianne (Kate Winslet) and Margaret (Emilie Francois). But he did insist that John watch over them and let them live in his inherited abode. However, John is married to a rather overbearing wife named Fanny (Harriet Walter) who eventually convinces John that they can look after themselves. But the women who can't get or inherit, so their only way to get out of their doldrums is to marry rich guys and find true love.

Emma Thompson (Golden Globe winner for Best Screenplay) plays the eldest daughter Elinor who's an old maid who can keep her emotions in balance. Meanwhile middle daughter Marianne (Kate Winslet) is quite the polar opposite to Elinor as she is a very emotionally charged teenager who would love to have a man in her life. And the youngest daughter Margaret (Emilie Francois) who is a high-opinionated tomboy who also has a thing for romance.

The story drives into full gear when Fanny's brother Edward Ferrars (Hugh Grant) enters their down-trodden lives who seems to know about the dilemma these ladies are facing and shows immediate compassion towards them. He becomes like father-figure to little Margaret and has a mutual attraction to eldest daughter, Elinor. While Edward and Elinor are have a proper ways of showing their emotions, Marianne doesn't find him that attractive and she thinks he's stoic. Soon Fanny manipulates Mrs. Dashwood that Elinor only wants to marry Edward over money rather than true love. Eventually he gets called back to London.

Eventually, the women get to live in a country cottage which was given to them by their matchmaking relatives. Alan Rickman breaks from type-casting to play a compassionate colonel Brandon who has feeling for the much younger Marianne and seems charmed by musicianship and her melodic voice. but Marianne has no interest in Col. Brandon even though Mrs. Jennings (Elizabeth Spriggs) about all of his good traits. However, Marianne falls head over heels with a young man named Mr. Willoughby (Greg Wise)who literally swept her off her feet after she twisted her ankle in the falling rain. She eventually enjoys Willoughby's company as they go around town on his horse-drawn carriage much to the chagrin of older sister Elinor. Just when Willoughby is about ask Marianne to marry him, he gets sent back to London for an indefinite period of time. While this is happening another lady arrives on the scene. Her name is Lucy Steele (Imogen Stubbs) who tells Elinor that she and Edward has been engaged for five years. Feeling that the Dashwood daughters' romantic lives are hopeless, Mrs. Jennings decides that the ladies should all go to London.

When they reach London the climax starts to unfold. What's amazing is that the ladies and the audience are expecting a happy ending as we anticipate secrets within the characters are revealed. The acting is what carries the film the whole way through and as we watch, we feel like we are a part of these characters lives and we feel for them the whole way through.

The acting isn't the only thing that makes "Sense and Sensibility" such an engaging film. Michael Coulter's cinematography was pure eye-candy and the costumes look and feel the time period between 1792 to 1797. The DVD extras are something quite noteworthy too which includes commentaries from star and scriptwriter Emma Thompson, co-producer Lindsay Doran, from director Ang Lee and co-producer James Schamus. Also featured are trailers for other films like "Howard's End" and "Remains of the Day". It's a film you should really check out. Especially for those who appreciate the work of Jane Austen.
A beautiful period piece
Ben Davis14 December 2014
When I told my parents I wanted to watch this movie, all they would tell me was that it was horrible and was basically the worst movie they'd ever seen. I am extremely pleased to say that they were incorrect. Sense and Sensibility is a beautiful period piece that is filled to the brim with incredible performances. You don't watch this movie for the story, which is admittedly kind of soap opera ish, in my opinion anyway. You watch this movie to be immersed in another time and to hear really well written dialogue. If that sounds in anyway appealing to you, then you'll love it, though I do recognize the fact that it's not everyone's cup of tea and I really do understand if you don't like it. Anyway, I really liked it and I say go watch it.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Beautifully written with memorable characters
sdavis007726 November 2014
I saw the trailer when it first came out and thought to myself, "I'd like to see that but never did until 2014!" Where was I really, never taking time out to experience such a gem of movie which will maintain such a classic standing ? I watched this movie several times within the week searching for other movies within the same genre. Emma Thompson was magnificent! Of course I remember her in Nanny McPhee and thought to myself either she is in hiding or I've been too busy with life to enjoy her screenplays. This is very sad to say but true but now that is over and I will smell the roses while they bloom enjoying the fragrance of romance on screen. And of course who could have a romance without Hugh Grant another favorite. His hesitant way of playing the chords of love on a woman's heart cannot be duplicated. Colonel Brandon is the breaker of the mold "wait for it." He marks himself as a true gentleman and one who understands the heart. The mom of these lovely ladies was a true mom and no doubt a lady indeed.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Shows the power of Film to touch our emotions
marcus-fabius3 April 2014
To really understand and appreciate the great beauty of this film, the viewer has to be aware of the cultural norms and constraints that society imposed on individuals in the period the film is set in. Any attempt to compare those norms and values to modern norms and values is simply pointless. In this respect, Emma Thompson and the Director Ang Lee did a brilliant job in this film. The entire plot of the film rests on the invidious obligations, social structures and legal diktats of the period, such as English inheritance law, breach of promise law, rigid class-based social stratification, and so on. The very strong impression I get from repeated viewing of the film is that the characters generally complied with their obligations more or less with resignation, an important exception being Marianne, but she learns the reality of those constraints in the hardest way.

The cinematography is superb: wonderful vistas of open country estates, rain and wind swept meadows and rural life being presented with great flair. I constantly found myself looking at background details, such as the footmen standing behind the rich people at their tables: most likely, if I had lived in that period, I would be one of those standing behind. Or perhaps driving a carriage for the rich folk. So much to think about in this film.

As for the actors, they are simply superb and inspired casting all round. I cannot single out any of them above the others, so I would comment on the most powerful scenes in the film that work heavily on the emotions (which is where the film genre triumphs): 1) the scene where Willoughby rides out of the mist and rain to rescue Marianne is simply superb; 2) the scene where Alan Rickman as Colonel Brandon first sets eyes on Marianne is so charming; 3) the most emotional scene is where Edward explains to Elinor that he is not married. Elinor's reaction is extraordinary, and both Hugh Grant and Emma Thompson are superb here; 3) the most powerful scene in the film for me says it all: Willoughby looking down from the hill at the church, knowing he has lost Marianne and thrown away his future by his own actions: a totally impressive scene. Superb.

This film stands repeated viewing. The music will pull you in and the characters will haunt you, and you will want to go over it again and again. If you have any emotional triggers, prepare to have them pulled by this great film.

Marcus Fabius
Great cast, great adaptation
Katherina_Minola10 December 2013
This 1995 adaptation of Jane Austen's novel, won Emma Thompson an Oscar for her screenplay. It also garnered six further Oscar nominations, including Best Actress (Thompson) and Best Supporting Actress (Kate Winslet – although this is a mystery to me, as she was certainly part of the main cast, and not a supporting actor. I imagine that Thompson and Winslet may have been put into different categories so that they did not end up competing with each other).

The basic storyline revolves around Elinor and Marianne Dashwood, two sisters who, after the death of their father, are forced to move with their mother and young sister Margaret, to a cottage. The two very close but very different sisters fall in love with two very different men, but the path of love does not always run smoothly.

As well as Thompson and Winslet (who at the time was not the huge star that she subsequently became), the cast features an impressive array of actors – Alan Rickman as Colonel Brandon, Hugh Grant as Edward Ferrars – to whom Elinor finds herself attracted – Hugh Laurie, Imogen Stubbs and Imelda Staunton, amongst others.

There are some differences to the book, but I think the film is certainly in keeping with the spirit of Jane Austen's novel. The story is sensitively told, and there are some moving moments, as well as some comical ones. It is also beautifully shot, with some gorgeous scenery, and a lovely soundtrack.

As expected from such a stellar cast, the acting is top notch, especially from Emma Thompson, Hugh Laurie and Alan Rickman. Kate Winslet also shows the talent which elevated her to A List status a few short years after this film was made.

Overall, I would highly recommend this film, especially for fans of Jane Austen, period films, or romantic stories.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I hate to use this word, but... it's just Overrated.
jackasstrange18 November 2013
Don't get me wrong, i personally find this film to be flawless in all aspects. The cinematography is excellent, the art direction as well, the script was well written(dull sometimes), the acting was indeed good, but the story simply does not stimulate. Nothing happens in the entire film. The conflicts between the girls and their 'mens' are ridiculous. No cool at all. Not to mention the clichés used in this film, including the biggest one used in the end. Such a bore since the beginning until the end. The jokes were like shoots and misses every time. Gosh. I heard beforehand the 'critics' opinions saying that this film was very funny. What a big lie. Perhaps, the only thing you can be sure about this film is that it is a boredom without an end. Shame on Ang Lee. And despite Emma Thompson's admirable effort to adapt the Jane Austen's book, the film itself just fell in the category of pointless films made. I would not recommend this film, unless if you do like stories in the style of Jane Eyre but more cliché and lighthearted. 6.2/10
0 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this