IMDb > Se7en (1995) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Se7en

Se7en More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 112: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

Brilliant bad guy with frustrating ending

Author: ciscokid1970 from United States
8 September 2007

This movie is a cross between Silence of the lambs and Bone collector. There are some very clever investigation scenes and clever writing and set creation.

This movie was a showcase for Kevin Spacey and Morgan Freeman. This movie had one of Morgan Freeman's best roles where he plays a educated, intelligent and experienced detective. Brad Pitt has a role but is not as impressive.

This movie certainly had a new approach to police / horror movies. This movie and Silence of the lambs brought a whole new level of gore and horror to mystery movies. This is not a kid friendly movie and does not have a happy ending.

Love and Fear.. Who Killed Whom ?!!

Author: ahmed elshikh (ahmed_abd_elreheem@yahoo.com) from Egypt
20 July 2007

I know. All of the previous comments told you all. But I want to say something of my own.

This great thriller will live longer indeed. For a lot of reasons. The one I want to talk about is the strong focusing on the characterization firstly in this script. Because this is something really rare in any of the American thrillers nowadays.

Here you have 2 points of view, come from 2 different generations, or simply 2 kinds of human beings.

The first is (David Mills / Brad Pitt) who is so rash, tense, running mostly after his sensations and always relies on the photos, the shape of things. But despite his true zeal, courage, and idealism he is so unwise and very impetuous who can easily hurt or lose himself. He is too weak to wait justice, so he goes and gets it by his hand because he is a slave for his excitability.. his emotionality.

The other one (William Somerset / Morgan Freeman) is an earlier generation who has all the goodness and rationality. He is discreet and cold proficient expert, who relies on the books. This one is not perfect either ! He is too feeble to stand love or its pain, responsibilities, or loss. So there is no joyful thing about his life nor lasting thing in his life !

Both of them make together one heck of a perfect unit; so they succeed in pursuit the killer. But HEY, it's not (Lethal Weapon). So you'll have them both at variance, too contradictory, and the only clear medial between them is the first's wife. Therefore, when she died, and Brad Pitt killed the killer; the borderline already ended and there was no medial anymore. So separation became the fate.

They are two very irreconcilable ways, or persons, or feelings : the love which kills the fear; so Brad Pitt lost his life. And the love which is killed by fear; so Morgan Freeman is losing his own !! And as for (John Doe / Kevin Spacey) the limit went to extremes; so he had his fear, or his love, or maybe both, killed too long ago. He was despising the extremism of the human lusts because he wasn't one. He lost his humanity completely. Hence he became a killing machine, a loose madness, or the extremism itself.

Balance between your love and your fear or you'll be the killer and the victim ! That's one premise which will make this film live for so many upcoming generations.

Se7en

Author: film_riot from Austria
11 March 2007

The serial killer movie is one of the (if not the one) concise genres of the 1990s. David Fincher started his feature film career in the 90s with "Alien 3", a good but not great sequel to the "Alien"-series. But this film already revealed his sensitive instinct for threatening scenarios. With "Se7en" he made one of the best thrillers of all time, an archetypal film for the word 'genre-defining'. So many films copied the style of it in the following years until now, that this style ultimately became nerve-racking for me in every new film. This is the one problem I felt while re-watching it. New audiences may not even be able to really understand what made this movie so great when it first came out. But its qualities are still visible today. The character of John Doe is a masterpiece of evil man-characterization. Kevin Spacey owns the screen his whole screen time, but I also like the characterizations of young hopeful cop and old cop, who has lost his faith in the good of life. As I said: One of the best thrillers of all time.

A dark, mature port, nothing to dilute this one.

Author: Strider_1978
23 November 2006

This picture takes some considerable constitution to watch, to endure.

Se7en is not a nice film.

The sets and locations are dark, gritty, grimy, nasty and bleak. There are no bright hues, nothing flashy or rosy to welcome the viewer.

What grabs us first(perhaps) are the very real homes of Det. Mills and Det. Sommerset. There are sound effects of the police sirens passing by. There are the muffled sounds of neighbours through the walls. There is the ticking of various clocks.

This looks a lot like 'real' life.

It's quite hard for me to put a lot of this into words. The investigation, after the subsequent finding of the first victim takes Mills and Sommerset, and the film viewer into a dark, seedy world where the crimes performed by the 'killer' are inspired by the seven deadly sins. It's important, I feel to view se7en from time to time, simply to make us feel better about our own life. The score and the sound effects fit the dirty, nasty unforgiving feel of the film. You arn't sure if it's John Doe that is the enemy or the world outside. I'm sure as I type in the safety of my own home somebody somewhere is committing an unspeakable crime. Maybe they will be caught. Maybe they won't.

The acting very good from the main characters, and solid from the lessors. The interesting part of me is looking at how Mills and Sommerset work as a team, being of an entirely different nature. Sommerset is calm, collected, intellectual, elloquent, subtle and wise. Sommerset is like a sniffer dog released from the pound after a long and tedious stay. Grumpy, intolerant, verbally unrefined, impatient, yet with a good heart.

All of the crimes shown strike cords within us. Some more horrific than others; all thought provoking and psychologically challenging. Just how *do* you continue to eat, completely full and unable to swallow another mouthfull . .only there is a gun to your head and the trigger will end your life it you stop ..

It's hard to recommend this one to anyone. Film fans i.e those who appreciate a well made movie will be on the edge or their seat come the building chase. Others will look on in partial disgust, partial intrigue as the camera shows the horrific detail of John Doe's methodical skills.

What un-nerves me, is to think that out there there is a John Doe out here. He's not count Dracula, he's not Jack the ripper. He is a normal man, perhaps enjoying a simple life. We might see him in the food market or the pharmacy. We might see him and acknowledge him, or we might not. That individual has a darker plan in his mind that you or I or any *good* people could conceive of, and we won't know until something happens.

There are no apologies and no compromises. This is a brilliant, bleak, horrific and psychologically damaging look at the darker side of human nature. Highly recommended for those of a mature mindset.

Seven ate nine

Author: Shawn Watson from The Penumbra
30 September 2006

After the abysmal failure of Alien 3, David Fincher held his breath for three years and made a new start with Se7en. His signature style of direction is all over it. Se7en is filthier than a dead stray dog at the bottom of a New Jersey toxic waste dump. It looks so miserable that people nailed to crosses seem happier.

The plot explores the extreme pitch-black side of the human psyche and was entirely the creation of one writer. Andrew Kevin Walker, a former Tower Records employee, conceived, in hell, a heinous story of a serial killer who offs his victims in the style of the Seven Deadly Sins. What was he smoking when he came up with that idea? Brad Pitt plays David Mills, an arrogant, over-confident, semi-experienced detective who is way ahead of himself. He uproots from a decent precinct, dragging his suffering wife (Gwyneth Paltrow) with him, to transfer to the worst in town - an unnamed, rainier-than-Glasgow Los Angeles - for no other reason than "to make a difference". Good luck.

Morgan Freeman is William Somerset, the most jaded and world-weary cop on the force. He only has a few days with Mills before retiring to a simple life in the country. Mills could learn a lot from him, and if he had any sense, he would. Sadly, this does not happen.

In Fight Club, Fincher exposed the rotten underbelly of a free society, the seedy flipside of American culture that most people pretend doesn't exist. Somerset says the only way to deal with a world this bad is to be apathetic, the polar opposite to Mill's belief that he can make the world a better place.

Few scripts make for good reading, but Andrew Kevin Walker's writing is one of the film's many strengths. He explored dark, character-driven horror/drama in shockers such as Brainscan and 8mm, but this is the meanest. The irony of each victims' death is made entirely justified by the killer's logic behind the madness. Of course, he does not believe he is insane. Just the world he lives in. Haven't you ever felt like that? It is important for such movies to have an atmosphere and Se7en is so rank that you can smell it. Pitt and Freeman deliver great performances, although Pitt should learn to breathe through his nose and not have constantly pursed lips. It becomes quite annoying.

Se7en is definitely the film that kick-started Fincher's career. Had he made The Game right after Alien 3, there would have been no Fight Club, Panic Room, or Social Network.

For that tiny minority who knows nothing of the film it's high time you checked it out. Even if you don't enjoy, you cannot deny its power and effect.

Dark masterpiece of the genre.

Author: Finntroll from Turku, Finland
2 August 2004

David Fincher's breakthrough Se7en is one of few movies that deserves to be called a masterpiece. An incredibly dark movie (for mainstream that is) about cruelty and human depravity that hooks it's fangs into the viewers spine like a bloodthirsty beast and won't let go even after the movie's over. This is both very wellplayed and wellcrafted. Gwyneth Paltrow, Brad Pitt, Morgan Freeman and Kevin Spacey all do top-notch performances, the script is one of the strongest in years and the ending must be on of the best I've seen. It's strange that a movie that doesn't rely on shock effects can be this shocking. After I saw this I was amazed by the pure cleverness of it all and the way I felt. The depressing mood of it all is just perfect and it works wonderfully as a foundation on which this movie lies. Go see it now.

damn, if I was a psycho, this film would only motivate me!

Author: MatiaseK from London, UK
16 May 2004

this film is one of the films which you have to see twice before catching all of it and making some sense as the film gives you a lot to think about, even in real life, the ethics, morals, the way of life, etc. This film is as real as reality. I personally don't like some of the remarks that people make about the film. About the justice system, the police procedures and the behaviour of detectives. Apparently it ain't perfect. BUT what is?? This film has pretty much everything you could ask for in a crime/thriller genre movie. The suspense, gore, Reality, originality but most of all logic. The way that the film uncovers the puzzle piece by piece. It pretty much uncovers itself very slowly until Doe walks in. The logic and the everyday life issues that people encounter and don't even realize 'damn, where the hell do we live?!...' ...in a world of greed, sloth, wrath, pride, envy, gluttony and lust.

Great thriller if a little cold and dehumanising.

Author: Peter Hayes from United Kingdom
15 February 2004

Two cops - one young, one old - chase a serial killer that is leaving a paper trail.

This is actually one of the best films that I have seen that I have only wanted to watch one. The reason being that while it has an interesting plot, plenty of action and a great twist it also has a horrible aftertaste. Like spending too long trying to clear a blocked drain.

Hollywood has, for far too long, glamorised crime and the chasing criminal so it is surprising to see a film maker going the other way. This is a dark, decrepit and cold world where everything is falling apart and unkept. This seems a deliberate policy move that features in many of David Fincher's films. Interesting - in that is different - but strangely alienating and depressing - and these are emotions I don't want to wish upon myself.

The serial killer and the criminal that leaves clues are nothing new, but the way the plot develops is. If you know the twist the movie will be cut in half and thank god I saw it without knowing the pay-off- although I knew there was going to be one. This is a movie after all.

Brad Pitt never convinces as a professional of any type. Here he seems to have become a cop overnight and without much training. Morgan Freeman does his usual quiet-but-logical act that has bought him fame so late in life. He is nearing retirement (in the film), but I thought all cops were about to retire in movies - I took that as read!

This is very involving stuff and we are drawn to grandstand finish that we will remember forever - but what is Se7en in longterm reflection? A horrible world in which horrible people carry out horrible acts for reasons of self-gratification?

Serial killers have existed since the dawn of time, but America is home to half of the world's population of them. Why is this? Maybe it is the last chance to make a mark on a society where being in the media and being in the spotlight are prized? When you have killed someone you are interesting, when you haven't you are not. Simple.

Dark thriller

Author: Jonas Lindelöf from Stockholm
11 August 2003

Seven is by now more or less a modern classic. The movie is so dark that I almost felt depressed when I left the cinema. I disagree with another reviewer who calls it "One of the most overrated "thrillers" of all time". The only point this reviewer has is that the camerawork is great. Good acting, good story, great camerawork. Bottom line; If you are looking for suspense you will get it here. You might even get a depression, but that's for free.

One of David Fincher's (director) best films. Fincher is very talented but probably also very depressed considering the movies he has made. Except for Panic room (there is a turkey for you) he has made a couple of very interesting and unusual movies (Fight club, The game).

Thriller rating: 8/10 Movie rating 7/10

Cool, stylish, but still sad

Author: Andrew DiMonte (NoArrow) from My House, Canada
7 July 2003

"Se7en" is a police drama about two cops trying to find a mysterious killer who is knocking off victims according to the sins they've committed. The plot is intriguing, the acting is emotional, and the thrills are incredibly creepy.

Though, this film wouldn't be as disturbing as some say it is. Sure, the ending is sad, but aside from that, it's just as 'gross' as every other forensic movie. In fact, movies like "The Bone Collector" are more disgusting than this.

And, of course, there's Fincher's excellent directing talent. The camera angles are cool, the chase scenes are suspenseful, and the investigation is clever. Morgan Freeman plays the grizzled old cop well, and Pitt delivers a more comedic performance than a dramatic one as the young Det. Mills.

The best part of "Se7en" would be Kevin Spacey's creepy role as the deadly killer. Sure, Spacey looks like your regular nice guy, but that's what makes him so evil. You hate him so much because you feel guilty for liking him.

"Se7en" is a funny, dramatic, thrill-ride of a movie, 8.5/10.