IMDb > Se7en (1995) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Se7en

Se7en More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 110: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Excellent

Author: Nik_1987 from Milton Keynes, UK
11 February 2004

This great thriller is about a serial killer (Kevin Spacey) and his Se7en victims who represent the Se7en deadly sins. Two cops (Morgan Freeman & Brad Pitt) have been assigned to investigate this case.

This is the best movie of the 90's, it has great thrilling moments, Morgan Freeman & Brad Pitts performances are excellent. Se7en has one of the best but shocking and surprising endings of all time. The end is something nobody would expect, i kept rewinding over and over again to see them 3 short seconds where you see... (im not going to spoil the movie).

Kevin Spacey's role in this movie was a surprise for everyone, well except for the people who use IMDB, it said who the killer was played by.

The most shocking moment for me was when you see that body on the bed and everyone thinks that person is dead because of the state of the body, but its not, that scene shocked me alot, i never forgot it and never will.

Overall i gave Se7en 9/10, everyone that likes thrillers should go see this movie, HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Seven is one great movie I recommend strongly!

Author: Movie Nuttball from U.S.A.
8 September 2003

Se7en is excellent thrilling mystery that has a great cast! Brad Pitt was very good and at the when he found out, his acting was superb! Morgan Freeman was also excellent! Kevin Spacey played John Doe flawlessly! Gwyneth Paltrow was good. R. Lee Ermey was good as always! It was surprising to see Richard Roundtree in the movie. John C. McGinley had a small part which he did good for the limited time he got to perform and Richard Portnow was good. The music by Howard Shore was very good. David Fincher's directing was unique! The last part of the movie when John Doe turns himself, when he is in the car with Pitt and Freeman, and when they were on the desert and the helicopter scenes were through the binoculars, and when Pitt and Freeman were going back and forth, that entire scene is one of the greatest in cinematic history! This film is really horrifying and not for the squeamish but if you love gruesome murder mystery movies this is a great one to watch!

Unlucky number

Author: lwjoslin from Houston, TX, CSA
16 May 2003

"Se7en" was the serial killer movie of the week at the time of its release. Morgan Freeman and Brad Pitt--apparently representing Reason and Passion, respectively--are cops on the trail of a serial killer. Kevin Spacey plays the killer as a Hannibal Lecter wannabe with a vengeful-angry-God complex: he bumps his victims off in ways that reflect the Seven Deadly Sins. Not a new idea; Vincent Price made two similarly-constructed movies in the '70s: "The Abominable Dr. Phibes," in which the inspiration is the ten curses of Pharaoh in the book of Exodus; and "Theater of Blood," in which Shakespeare's plays provide the motifs. ("Se7en" makes a nod in the direction of its predecessors by mentioning the "pound of flesh" associated with one of the murders.)

The difference is that the Price movies were jet-black comedies, while "Se7en" is a straightforward suspense thriller, and a relentlessly grim, gray, dark, rain-soaked one at that. It's technically well-made and unusually literate, drawing themes from Dante, Milton, Shakespeare, and medieval theology. And there's a strong echo of Dostoevsky's "Notes from the Underground": when the killer's lair is located, it's found to contain 2000 handwritten notebook journals of 250 pages each. (Quibbles: if he writes that much, when does he find time to do anything else... such as plan and execute fiendishly clever crimes? Also, we're told that none of the journals or entries are dated. As one who has kept a daily journal for ten years, I find that unlikely, especially since the killer is ultimately revealed to be even more, shall we say, detail-oriented than I am.)

The movie's ending (which I won't reveal here) is distressingly downbeat--and surprisingly so, as well. It leaves a nasty aftertaste. It could be argued that anything less would've been a cop-out, but it still was about as entertaining as a sucker punch. "The Silence of the Lambs" left us with Lecter on the loose, but at least there was salvation (the girl was rescued), redemption (the lambs were silenced), and retribution (the killer was dispatched without the incidental destruction of anyone else). By contrast, "Se7en," which offers none of the above, is easy to admire, but hard to enjoy.

genre film with some style

Author: Lumpenprole from United States
21 January 2002

I thought this movie was a pretty remarkable exercise in style and an incredibly controlled performance by Morgan Freeman. Most of it is kinda cliched – the retiring cop breaks-in a rookie (by-the-book vs. the loose cannon working on a hunch), the clever serial killer, the soulless city, the standard noir ending where the searcher realizes that he is what he's been searching for and so on. The art direction is wonderful, with a real attention to detail. The movie makes for riveting viewing the first time around. I find myself skipping chapters though when I try to watch it again.

To make the last act measure up to the first hour of the movie, I think the writing should have emphasized the idea that the wrath/envy set up was an example of John Doe improvising after the detectives found his apartment. The wrath/envy scene doesn't have nearly the convoluted menace of the Sloth or Gluttony scenes. It's a noir thriller and Gwen is unaccounted for - the end seemed pretty obvious to me compared to the craziness of "HELP ME" in fingerprints.

Terrific thriller!!!

Author: deatman9 from Canada
14 October 2012

This movie was just awesome.A thriller that really leaves you on the edge of your seat the whole time your watching. It starts morgan freeman who always does a superb job, accompanied by brad pitt who always did an outstanding job. And to top it all off it was directed by David Fincher who has made some great movies.

This movie is about two detectives (Freeman,Pitt) who are sent to invesitage a weird string of murders. There is a murderer killing people using the seven deadly sins as justification.

Overall this movie was really good. Great actors, great story line and a lot of twists and turns to keep you interested. I really liked it.

"This isn't going to have a happy ending."

Author: ackstasis from Australia
15 September 2007

After years of experiencing dull, formulaic, clichèd so-called thrillers, it's always satisfying when a genuinely great movie comes along. I have absolutely no hesitation in proclaiming 'Se7en' to be such a film, with director David Fincher – after achieving a somewhat mixed result in his cinematic debut, 'Alien³' – firmly proclaiming his place as one of the 1990's most promising new talents. It's somewhat surprising that the movie had managed to elude me for so long, since I'd been wanting to see it for a while, and it was only last week that I managed to get my hands on a DVD copy. And so, without further ado, I invited over a friend, who has an equal partiality towards good thrillers, and enthusiastically promised him one of the best of its decade. 'Se7en' didn't disappoint.

The film takes place in a dark, gritty, unnamed metropolis, where it is always raining and danger looms ominously from every alleyway. Reserved and hardened Detective Lt. William Somerset (Morgan Freeman) has seen it all in his lifetime, and is finally preparing to retire to the country, away from the madness of the city. His replacement, impulsive Detective David Mills (Brad Pitt), has transferred here at his own request, and is eager to make his mark, even though his career choice could be harming the wellbeing of his lonely and vulnerable wife, Tracy (Gwyneth Paltrow). Both detectives are soon drawn into the case of a serial killer, John Doe, who is ritualistically murdering his victims according to the Seven Deadly Sins: gluttony, greed, sloth, lust, pride, envy and wrath. As the murders begin piling up, the two detectives' investigation becomes an obsession, and the inevitable outcome will drastically change the lives of both. Throughout the film, Brad Pitt provides most of the comic relief, none of which detracts at all from the horrors we are witnessing on screen.

David Fincher has a unique visual style that is simply thrilling to watch. Despite the thematically dark tone of the story, the film itself is positively brimming with invigorating and vibrantly-contrasted colour and lighting. The graphic murder scenes appear to splash out of the screen, before our very eyes, enhancing the feelings of dread and repulsion that accompany John Doe's horrific acts of murder. The rich, highly-stylised use of colour also helps create a memorable atmosphere of sheer foreboding; the imagery is sure to stay with you for many years to come. Even as 'Se7en' abandons the gritty setting of the city for the final act – shifting the action to a starkly-lit open field beside a trail of electric power-lines – the film loses none of its potency, the isolation of the climactic arena seemingly leaving our main protagonists even more helpless and vulnerable than before.

Our villain is anonymously titled John Doe, and is played with delightful creepiness by Kevin Spacey, who only agreed to the part under the condition that he remain unbilled in the promotion and opening credits of the film. Unlike your typical serial killer, John Doe is not a crazy, impulsive and stupid mad-man, but something rather more terrifying: he is intelligent, patient and methodical. In one particularly ghastly crime, he keeps a convicted drug dealer chained to his bed for an entire year, removing his hands and his tongue, and regularly paying his rent so as to not arouse any suspicions. John Doe's entire life has been dedicated to Mankind's obsession with committing sin, and, through orchestrating his crimes, he wishes to preach to the society of their transgressions. John Doe, rather uniquely, is given a large portion of the film's final half-hour, and so he becomes a character that we come to know very well, as opposed to the half-constructed serial killers who usually turn up in the final five minutes only to be shot by the hero. Spacey is very good in the role, though I can't help but feel that his performance would have been even more effective had I not been familiar with much of his later film work.

The most exciting scene in the film is undoubtedly the hectic foot-chase that ensues when John Doe arrives home to his apartment, only to find Detectives Somerset and Mills waiting patiently outside his door. However, the film's climax is also well worth mentioning: though many interpretations have been floating around, my view is that the final two victims are John Doe himself ("Envy") and David Mills ("Wrath"). In order to prevent himself from being labeled a hypocrite, as Mills had suggested during the car-ride, Doe allowed his own deadly sin - envy - to result in the death of Tracy, and so enticed Mills to shoot him, simultaneously becoming the sixth victim and prompting Mills to commit the seventh sin. Some have argued that, since Mills didn't die, he can't be perceived as one of Doe's victims, but is being left alive in these circumstances perhaps even a more diabolical punishment?

Why isn't this movie more popular????

Author: xdfernx from United States
2 August 2005

I never understood why Seven was never given the credit it truly deserves. This movie has a total package. You get horror(in its purest form), suspense, drama and lots of action. I would rate Seven as one of my favorite horror flicks. The way the film concludes with all seven sins being committed and the way the last two unfold is magnificent writing. The sadistic style in which John Doe disposes of his victims highlights the suspense aspect perfectly. I don't know if there has been a better selected cast. Brad Pitt as the rookie, cocky detective. Morgan Freeman(one of my personal faves) as the veteran. Best of all Kevin Spacey as the macabre and very twisted John Doe. If you haven't seen this movie, rent it Tonnie.

Methodical, Calculated, Brilliant

Author: (rat_salad) from United States
8 July 2005

This story takes you where it wants you to go.

The proof is that while there are some gruesome acts in this movie (you only see the aftermath, no action), the most disturbing crime in the movie is the least gruesome.

There are very few movies that pull-off a mix of repulsive crime and psychological involvement as well as this one.

The character development was done very well with while not distracting you by burying you in the personal life of each character

Initially, I felt the main detective character was a little unbelievable a bit too methodical. As the character developed though, you start to see that as a part of his personality, the element that levels the playing field between him and the criminal. In the end, I found him to be as diabolically analytical as the criminal.

The chess game between the main detective and the criminal was flawless. Had they got the criminal into custody any other way than they did.. it would have ruined the movie.

A must see!!!

Author: OriginalMovieBuff21 from United States
8 July 2005

I went to a friends house last night and rented movies. I picked Se7en to rent because I've always wanted to see it since I saw David Fincher's masterpiece, Fight Club and his well made thriller, Panic Room. People have always said this movie was good so I wanted to see it if they were right and they were sure right. Seven is an insanely brilliant film from start to finish. The performances by Morgan Freeman, Kevin Spacey, and especially Brad Pitt are all phenomenal in this chiller. The movie was just plain out suspenseful and left my heart beating fast til the movie was done. The twist at the end was very intense and you never knew it was coming. Totally unpredictable. Overall, a fantastic film and David Fincher is a pure genius when it comes to smart films and Se7en deserves to be one of the greatest thrillers that has ever been made. I highly recommend it.

Hedeen's Outlook: 9.5/10 **** A

A True Suspense Film

Author: mrspitt52687 from United States
4 July 2005

This movie really is a modern day classic. The film is a true suspense film that always has you at the edge of your seat from beginning to end. It truly is a great film for anyone to see. So I'll give it 20 out of 10! The scenes were shot great and very dark so it made you really interested. Brad Pitt played a phenomenal part as the new detective, and Morgan Freeman as the old going to retire cop. they both had great chemistry between their characters and that really helps the film. But the most greatest part in the film was the ending! You would have never thought that the killer would go to that extent! I will not give out the ending, but believe me, you'll be be shocked!